Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Bolland gets 4 games

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2006, 07:55 AM
STS44

vCash: 500
Sekera slams Kostistyns head into the glass - the refs hand goes up for a delayed penalty on Sekera - no whistle ever blows - The Attack gets brain freeze while London keeps their wits and scores the winning goal. Simple and clear enough isn't it? Didn't think they rushed off the air quickly at all .... Had a nice interview and usual post game stuff ....

Old
04-16-2006, 08:34 AM
JrHockeyFan

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44
Sekera slams Kostistyns head into the glass - the refs hand goes up for a delayed penalty on Sekera - no whistle ever blows - The Attack gets brain freeze while London keeps their wits and scores the winning goal. Simple and clear enough isn't it? Didn't think they rushed off the air quickly at all .... Had a nice interview and usual post game stuff ....
I think the original point made wondered why they did not discuss the goal. I know it seems cut and dried, but did they talk about the goal at all?

Unfortunately for Owen Sound this will be one of those things that coaches will use as an example about staying focused.

Old
04-16-2006, 09:30 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I rarely see London games on TV since I am at the game. But I seem to recall that they seldom do much after game stuff in London anyway.

Maybe with all the flap about the announcers Lale/Cunningham they decided to stay away from any controversy.
It certainly could be. I've never liked that aspect of the Rogers broadcast in general. Especially after an overtime. Get out as soon as you can to get back to what... regularely scheduled community listings?

Gary was going _nuts_ on Friday night. Some of the clips we have here are even pretty funny. Both he and Fred thought for sure the puck had been touched, but upon review it sure looked like the refs were right on.

I have to admit I don't watch all the games by any stretch, so you've probably heard more of his PBP call than I have. But I think on the radio a lot of people do want to hear homer-ism to a point. I mean they are going to be Attack fans following the games, so they want a friendly voice. I dunno, it's not how I'd call games necessarily, but that's not my job so who am I to say

I do think it presents an interesting challenge come playoff time, though. You go all year calling TV games just for an Owen Sound area audience, and suddenly you're being simulcast in London. That can/should probably change the way you call a game.

Old
04-16-2006, 09:30 AM
shawnmullin

Quote:
I think the original point made wondered why they did not discuss the goal. I know it seems cut and dried, but did they talk about the goal at all?

Unfortunately for Owen Sound this will be one of those things that coaches will use as an example about staying focused.
It should be an example. Even if you think you hear a whistle or think you touch the puck, one of the first things your first coach will teach you is to never quit on a play.

Old
04-16-2006, 09:58 AM
STS44

Apologies - question was indeed discussion of the goal by the broadcasters not the circumstances. Outside of it being the game winning goal don't remember hearing anything else about it. Good point about concentration in that a player should never give up until it is obvious the play is to be stopped. A couple of other mental lapses and bad penalties by Attack key players really cost them. Knights also did a good job shutting down Bobby Ryan the last couple of games. They didn't give him any space to move. Four days off then the Guelph series starts - should be a good one regardless of which team wins ....

Old
04-16-2006, 10:01 AM
shawnmullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44
Apologies - question was indeed discussion of the goal by the broadcasters not the circumstances. Outside of it being the game winning goal don't remember hearing anything else about it. Good point about concentration in that a player should never give up until it is obvious the play is to be stopped. A couple of other mental lapses and bad penalties by Attack key players really cost them. Knights also did a good job shutting down Bobby Ryan the last couple of games. They didn't give him any space to move. Four days off then the Guelph series starts - should be a good one regardless of which team wins ....
Yeah Ryan really did run out of room after his hat trick game. Part of the discussion last night was how much he gets hooked and held.. and that's typical of what a star player faces. So the question is - at this point if he's not strong enough to break through that from junior kids, is he ready for the big dance? I imagine another year of being the go to guy down in the OHL may be required.

Old
04-16-2006, 12:04 PM
JrHockeyFan

Excellent point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin
Yeah Ryan really did run out of room after his hat trick game. Part of the discussion last night was how much he gets hooked and held.. and that's typical of what a star player faces. So the question is - at this point if he's not strong enough to break through that from junior kids, is he ready for the big dance? I imagine another year of being the go to guy down in the OHL may be required.
I actually think Ryan is going to be a good player. But he has to fight through and assume that calls will be made.

One thing is certain: All the top players go through the same troubles. No free passes are given to any of them. So complaining about your top guy getting tied up is talked about in every rink.

Old
04-16-2006, 12:12 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin
It certainly could be. I've never liked that aspect of the Rogers broadcast in general. Especially after an overtime. Get out as soon as you can to get back to what... regularely scheduled community listings?

Gary was going _nuts_ on Friday night. Some of the clips we have here are even pretty funny. Both he and Fred thought for sure the puck had been touched, but upon review it sure looked like the refs were right on.

I have to admit I don't watch all the games by any stretch, so you've probably heard more of his PBP call than I have. But I think on the radio a lot of people do want to hear homer-ism to a point. I mean they are going to be Attack fans following the games, so they want a friendly voice. I dunno, it's not how I'd call games necessarily, but that's not my job so who am I to say

I do think it presents an interesting challenge come playoff time, though. You go all year calling TV games just for an Owen Sound area audience, and suddenly you're being simulcast in London. That can/should probably change the way you call a game.
Hey I am all for friendly and enthusiastic. Mike Stubbs on Knights radio has that in bushels. Sometimes I will put the radio on (delays and all) while watching OHL pack. It shows me that he calls the game honestly.I like that.

Next year when the Knights do not have as good a team, I want to know even more so what is happening. Mark Hunter seems to think the opposite is better. I disagree.

Old
04-17-2006, 03:21 PM
shawnmullin

Quote:
I actually think Ryan is going to be a good player. But he has to fight through and assume that calls will be made.

One thing is certain: All the top players go through the same troubles. No free passes are given to any of them. So complaining about your top guy getting tied up is talked about in every rink.
Oh I agree with you. The playoffs are notorious for top players running out of room. So to me, Ryan's inability to break through in all but one game shows he may not yet be ready.

Old
04-17-2006, 04:11 PM
toomanymen

Quote:
Watch one of those whirling dervish fights and tell me that their feet are always straight up and down.

You have said so many things that make no sense it is hard to keep up with all of them.

Don't give me that "I don't care who wins routine" Laser Trippy. It doesn't play out at all. You will accuse me of bias while you put your own spin on things so let's not pretend here. You are not any less biased than I am in the matter. Like a Guelph fan doesn't care who wins this series? Who do you think you are kidding?

You already said:"It was a kick, but not a hard one with any potential to injure." So obviously you know that there was no force in the action. So if it was a deliberate kick, why do it that way? It makes no sense. It served no purpose in any context. And guess what? The league has to know that it was not deliberate too. Because if they thought it was he would be done period!

The kid has zero history of anything like this. He didn't have to release a statement at all, but he did. I see no reason to not give him the benefit of the doubt when it was such a non-event. Of course you being so unbiased can't see it that way at all. Better to believe the "just making a joke laser Angelidis" who formulated an opinion from replays??? Think about that in the context of judging the event strictly by the limited video tape. Perhaps he realizes that it looks worse than what he actually experienced?

As for the league? What are they going to do? Admit that a league official played a part in the incident? Admit that the officials had no control of the game, when it was clear they were doing a poor job of it both ways? It took them until after 3 pm Monday to figure out what to say. That spoke volumes to me.

The kid should be held responsible for maintaining control of his equipment, i.e stick, skates, etc. But when it is obvious he is being spun around, by an official no less, that responsibilty has to be reduced a bit. 2 (and a half) games would be fair and recognize all the factors involved. An automatic 4 playoff games is not on par with what happened in the regular season. That is obvious to anyone who at least tries to be fair about this. Otherwise, I think Ouzas should have gotten 8 games because it is clear that he was trying to kick a player without any external factors. Instead he missed four regular season games. Big whoop.

Look, I'm a huge Knights fan and season ticket holder. I watched the replay an Angelidis like five times at least. He was not being spun around by the official in the manner they suggest. When I heard the descriptions I thought it was like me giving my kids a helicopter ride for God's sake. He did something stupid, the minimum penalty for this level of action is too harsh, move on. You're right he could have cross checked a guy in the face and got five only. It makes no sense at all, but that's the way it is. Remember McSorley's hit/attack on Brashear? The next game the Bs played the Leafs and a Leafs d (Yuskevich?) cross checked a Bruin forward in the face in front of the net. Two minutes for a far more violent act. Again, no logic, but reality...

P.S. In all honesty, I've spun my wife faster than that while dancing at a wedding. Fortunately, no "suspensions" ensued.

Closed Thread