HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton-New Jersey

Old
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDevil View Post
To

D, Mark Fayne (RFA) - Age 25

To

C, Sam Gagner (RFA) - Age 22

Perhaps something could be worked out around those two pieces? Fayne is younger than both Tallinder/Greene and definitely at least on a par with them. He's a steady second pairing guy who rarely makes mistakes and has shown two seasons of really consistent play. I feel like Gagner has perhaps slightly more value overall, so perhaps add a pick coming from us or something?

Either way, we need to pick up another forward and having another C would give us the option to stick Henrique out on the wing should we need to.

Any input from Edmonton fans would be appreciated, not sure how you guys value Gagner currently.
No interest at all from me. Devils fans are universally thrilled with Fayne, he's been a saving grace on defense for 2 years now.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
How is that Urbom kid going for you guys? He was highly touted a couple years ago I believe. Is he still in NJ's plans going forward?

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaseline stampede View Post
I see a plethora of 5/6/7 Dmen here and I don't think that's a pressing need for the Oilers. There's no way they take on AV's contract at this point. He is a LT grossly overpaid and immensely immobile 3rd pairing guy at this point. Greene, Fayne, etc...these guys are just so meh. Who would give up anything to acquire players like this? I can't think of any team that's seeking to ship out core guys for these players. The only option I could see is Tallinder for the 3rd pair vet/mentoring role. I would be ok with a Sutton/Tallinder 6/7 for the next two years. But, obviously, Hemsky and co. aren't options no matter what NJ fans do to "sweeten the pot." This is like a Potter, Omark, late pick kind of deal. I just don't see a fit with these two teams at all...
all those bottom pairing and meh DMen were just 2 games away from winning the Cup, last I checked....

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
How is that Urbom kid going for you guys? He was highly touted a couple years ago I believe. Is he still in NJ's plans going forward?
I think so. problem is we have a ton of DMen signed the next few years and also have him, Larsson, Gelinas, etc all coming up

someone will be moved. I am almost sure of it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
GDDevils

Quote:
I see a plethora of 5/6/7 Dmen here and I don't think that's a pressing need for the Oilers. There's no way they take on AV's contract at this point. He is a LT grossly overpaid and immensely immobile 3rd pairing guy at this point. Greene, Fayne, etc...these guys are just so meh. Who would give up anything to acquire players like this? I can't think of any team that's seeking to ship out core guys for these players. The only option I could see is Tallinder for the 3rd pair vet/mentoring role. I would be ok with a Sutton/Tallinder 6/7 for the next two years. But, obviously, Hemsky and co. aren't options no matter what NJ fans do to "sweeten the pot." This is like a Potter, Omark, late pick kind of deal. I just don't see a fit with these two teams at all...
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Green and Fayne were our best pairing throughout the playoffs. Either one is immensely more valuable than Tallinder.

Also you are way overrating Hemsky. A guy who is a good player but can never stay healthy. If you think he is going to bring a top pair defensman or a young stud you're out to lunch.

GDDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:12 AM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Not even close.
I think that deal favors Edmonton. Fayne has had two great seasons, including a run to the SCF where he logged major minutes. Gagner...I don't see him much but what I read here sounds like he leaves the fans wanting and expecting more.

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyguru93 View Post
Hall for Larsson

1st rounder for 1st rounder and it helps both teams. Hall replaces Parise and Larsson gives EDM a good young D-man
I think thats actually pretty good value but NJ finally has a defensman that could be at an elite level for the first time since Niedermayer. I don't think the Devils will give that up, especially since they already have a forward all the offense flows through.

Missionhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Hall for Larsson

1st rounder for 1st rounder and it helps both teams. Hall replaces Parise and Larsson gives EDM a good young D-man
I wouldn't if I'm the Oil...For basically the same reasons we chose Yak over Murray...We have plenty of young D in the 'chute', now including Schultz, so I'd keep the potential star forward and hope one of the young D work out to be near as good as Larsson...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:59 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoSlade View Post
I think that deal favors Edmonton. Fayne has had two great seasons, including a run to the SCF where he logged major minutes. Gagner...I don't see him much but what I read here sounds like he leaves the fans wanting and expecting more.
I'll admit I don't see much of Fayne, so I'll trust your judgement on him. I tend to switch off hockey when my team is out of the playoffs... so, ya know, like early April.

Anyway... if I trust you at your word, then I could see a trade centered around Gagner. You'll hear very polar opinions on the guy, but much of that stems from Oil fans universally thinking he was the messiah in his rookie year. Expectations for year 2 and beyond were that he'd be a 65, then 75 then consistent 85 point scorer. And he hasn't progressed as quickly. In truth, he plays with a lot of heart, is a very smart player and has been battling to find a way to take his game to that level. Management is patient with him... I'd say even pleased with his maturity through the adversity (like the Pat Quinn year where he played on the 4th line with plugs and STILL managed his 45ish points). He's still very young and you've seen his downside, at worst a 45 point centerman who will continue to put the effort in to improve his game. His upside is still the same... smaller 70 point center who plays with heart... see Drury in his prime, or... Dave Gagner.

If Fayne is a solid, unspectacular 2nd pairing D, who can grow with our core, I could see the trade happening.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

The Oilers are not desperate for another D, if they get a top 4 it would be nice, but they will not give any of their young prospects for anything NJ would be willing to trade. IMO there is no reason to trade for another D unless it's a top 1/2 D, the Oilers are loaded with good prospect D.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Matter View Post
I wouldn't if I'm the Oil...For basically the same reasons we chose Yak over Murray...We have plenty of young D in the 'chute', now including Schultz, so I'd keep the potential star forward and hope one of the young D work out to be near as good as Larsson...
What it sounds like Klefbom could be the player, time will tell.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:51 PM
vaseline stampede
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
all those bottom pairing and meh DMen were just 2 games away from winning the Cup, last I checked....
Right. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. They are average players who do well within that system. We've also seen "non-contender" teams go on runs before. Sometimes everything just comes together at the right time. Those great players could miss the playoffs entirely next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDDevils View Post
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Green and Fayne were our best pairing throughout the playoffs. Either one is immensely more valuable than Tallinder.

Also you are way overrating Hemsky. A guy who is a good player but can never stay healthy. If you think he is going to bring a top pair defensman or a young stud you're out to lunch.

Sure they have more value, but as I said, they're not bringing back core players, which is why I suggested a cheaper option for the 3rd pair. None of these players is even really a need for the Oilers. I don't think Hemsky is bringing back a 1D, I don't think Hemsky is available in the first place. I don't want to trade him and I don't think mgmt is actively trying to trade him either. He is a good vet player and an even better Oiler.

If NJ wants to take a flyer on Omark, that's probably the only deal to be had between these teams.

vaseline stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:18 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Hall for Larsson

Did you miss the no Larsson comment in the OP or are you just trying to be funny

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
He's been doing fairly well in the AHL. Looked ok in his callups, but still needs a bit of work on his defensive game to stick in the NHL. There's a logjam in front of him, so someone needs to get traded. Hence this thread.

Quote:
If NJ wants to take a flyer on Omark, that's probably the only deal to be had between these teams.
I don't think NJ has any interest in Omark.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote