HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter Signs with Minnesota (13 years, $98 mil)

Old
07-06-2012, 05:17 PM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Your guarantee might hold water with me if Suter wasn't allegedly considering the Preds until Wednesday morning. According to you, the decision was made months ago. Earlier in the week, you said "suter to detroit. book it. don't ask me how, why, what." You were so sure of your information that you claimed this week he'd go to a team that he didn't go to.
that was a PREDICTION ... no one ever told me a thing about going to detroit or minnesota.

decision made months ago? dig up my posts. all i said is the feel in the organization (ownership to be exact) didn't feel he would sign. and that looks to be pretty dead on. if you guys think suter pulled minnesota out of his ass then whatever. he even said he always thought of minnesota but it didn't seem "realistic" hmmm..

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
hopefully suter and his wife divorce and the wild go bankrupt after missing the playoffs for the next 13 years.
Classy ...

You realize, of course, this is all sports for entertainment ... we're all pissed but show some class.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
Classy ...

You realize, of course, this is all sports for entertainment ... we're all pissed but show some class.
that's me being nice too

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
klt2001

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Suter wanted to leave ever since the All Star game. Good riddance.

klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
This doesn't surprise me one bit. Suter wanted to leave ever since the All Star game. Good riddance.
From what I've read, Suter and Parise had been talking all year long about both going to Minnesota and playing together, so I think Suter had this planned all along.

Also Parise stated that Suter brought the idea of them both planning in Minnesota.

Last edited by Pattypred: 07-08-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added comment
Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:17 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
From what I've read, Suter and Parise had been talking all year long about both going to Minnesota and playing together, so I think Suter had this planned all along.

Also Parise stated that Suter brought the idea of them both planning in Minnesota.

If true, wouldn't that be collusion? Is there fines for that?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:22 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
If true, wouldn't that be collusion? Is there fines for that?
Collusion or tampering. I read an article accusing Suter of that very violation. But really, what is the league going to do. Any fine is meaningless given the contracts these two signed. I say forget it, he's gone. Honestly tired of the whole conversation. I'd rather not think about his decision again till we play the Wild.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:33 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
It would only be tampering if suter, while still under contract with the preds, tried to get parise, under contract with nj, to agree to come to nashville, as in that instance suter would be considered to be acting on behalf of the preds. But if he talked to parise about eventually playing in minnesota, or anywhere else but nashville, then that's not tampering because suter couldn't actually represent minnesota. Now, if minnesota had any discussions with either of them before july 1, that's tampering.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:55 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
I bet this is going to be a good thing for the Preds. I live in St. Louis and when Pujols decided to leave for about 1.5 million more per season than what the Cards offered, I was devastated. The whole city was really. In reality, it made money available for Molina, Wainwright, Beltran etc. I understand the difference financially between baseball and hockey, but I think the point still stands. Suter leaving is bad, but if it means you'll be able to lock up Weber long term and the rest of your core and goaltender and bring in other players via trade or free agency that actually desire to play in your city, it's not nearly as bad. I think we can all agree that it's a good thing he didn't go to the Wings! Nashville's still a playoff team, Minnesota might sniff the eight seed. Still sorry for you guys.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:28 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I bet this is going to be a good thing for the Preds. I live in St. Louis and when Pujols decided to leave for about 1.5 million more per season than what the Cards offered, I was devastated. The whole city was really. In reality, it made money available for Molina, Wainwright, Beltran etc. I understand the difference financially between baseball and hockey, but I think the point still stands. Suter leaving is bad, but if it means you'll be able to lock up Weber long term and the rest of your core and goaltender and bring in other players via trade or free agency that actually desire to play in your city, it's not nearly as bad. I think we can all agree that it's a good thing he didn't go to the Wings! Nashville's still a playoff team, Minnesota might sniff the eight seed. Still sorry for you guys.
if weber stays and we use the money planned for suter to add multiple complimentary pieces, then in the long run this will be a good thing... but for now its hard to see that far ahead...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:59 AM
MrJoshua

The more I think about it, the more I think this is a good thing - IF and only if Weber signs long-term with the Preds.

You have a franchise goalie locked up. Add a franchise defenseman (Weber) on a long-term contract with some young, talented D-men and some good veteran complementary players around him. That's a solid base to build on. And it frees up some money to try to go for one real upgrade at forward. Yeah, it would have been nice to have Suter and Weber paired together through their prime, but as long as ONE of them stays to play in front of Rinne I think the D will be alright. Now we need some top-end talent up front to go with the solid core already signed.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:31 AM
token grinder

let's not kid ourselves to make ourselves feel better, anytime you lose a franchise defenceman it is never a good thing. Especially losing him for no return (and I am in the camp of I would have made the run for the cup like we did and take the chance).

However, if we can land a piece in a trade cheaply (unlikely) or sign a guy next offseason with that money, it will take the sting away.

One team, if going the trade route I hope we are kicking tires with is Anaheim, and not for everybody's googoogaga boy Ryan. I would be looking at Getzlaf or Perry. Getzlaf had a down year last year, but could be had more cheaply than Ryan I think. I would take the chance on him and if willing to sign a say 6 x 6 or a 7 x 5 deal I would pay more assets. He and Perry are in the same boat as we are with Weber as far as signing mega deals, and while I can see Perry signing one, I think Getzlaf shot himself in the foot last year.

just a thought

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
if weber stays and we use the money planned for suter to add multiple complimentary pieces, then in the long run this will be a good thing... but for now its hard to see that far ahead...
there's the rub ... IF Weber signs long term. If he does, we're fine ... may be a tougher year on Defense but we've got Rinne backstopping us ... I'm ok with that.

If Weber won't sign ... yikes. Yeah, we can get a lot for him in trade BUT the Preds slide WAY back methinks. The perception to future FAs will be that no one wants to stay in Nashville.

It's so tough being a Predators fan .... every summer ... fracking drama. lol

Old
07-09-2012, 11:54 AM
token grinder

if anyone is in to hockey s & m, the wild news conference is about to be live

http://www.startribune.com/video/134...11338/video/1/

Old
07-09-2012, 11:54 AM
predfan98

Quote:
there's the rub ... IF Weber signs long term. If he does, we're fine ... may be a tougher year on Defense but we've got Rinne backstopping us ... I'm ok with that.

If Weber won't sign ... yikes. Yeah, we can get a lot for him in trade BUT the Preds slide WAY back methinks. The perception to future FAs will be that no one wants to stay in Nashville.

It's so tough being a Predators fan .... every summer ... fracking drama. lol
I know, they get the summer off.........so should we..

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
if anyone is in to hockey s & m, the wild news conference is about to be live

http://www.startribune.com/video/134...11338/video/1/
Yeah ... watching the start of it ... it took Liarpold 30 seconds to make his first inaccurate statement. "Only in the State of Hockey would this many people show up in July to talk about Hockey." Bullcrap ... had we signed Parise and Suter stayed ... and we had a presser (that fans could attend?) ... we'd have a ton there as well.

Why am I watching this crap???

Old
07-09-2012, 12:28 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Yeah ... watching the start of it ... it took Liarpold 30 seconds to make his first inaccurate statement. "Only in the State of Hockey would this many people show up in July to talk about Hockey." Bullcrap ... had we signed Parise and Suter stayed ... and we had a presser (that fans could attend?) ... we'd have a ton there as well.

Why am I watching this crap???
It's 60 degrees here in the winter and -15 there. Good for them.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
JR303

I didn't watch the stream, but saw some tweets. Did Suter really say that they were going to try to help get more free agents to sign there in the future?

Really?

I have to ask, what the hell was Suter's beef with this frachise?

And yes, the call to Poile was the hardest call he's ever had to make because he was guilty of doing the opposite of what he had lead Poile to believe.

This still just pisses me off.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
AEM6729

Suter looks like he knows how stupid he looks in that elf jersey.

I hope he has an awesome time playing with f-ing Spurgeon all next year.

I'm still mad at him for misleading everyone, but I must admit it'll be much more tolerable watching him play for Minnesota than it would've been to watch him play for Detroit. He might end up regretting his decision very soon...

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:42 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip717434#clip717434

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Jubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
I didn't watch the stream, but saw some tweets. Did Suter really say that they were going to try to help get more free agents to sign there in the future?

Really?

And yes, the call to Poile was the hardest call he's ever had to make because he was guilty of doing the opposite of what he had lead Poile to believe.

Wow. Suter is pretty much dead to me. When the Wild plays here, the crowd is going to give him all hell.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post

Really?

I know he was pandering to the crowd there, but when asked why he went he said the atmosphere and loud fans. Unless my blind hate of his decision making process is causing me to mis hear, he never mentioned playing at home like Parise did.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:15 PM
brah

is there a mirror for that dryden link? or tell me what is says?

brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:38 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

hitting up an avs-wild game just to boo suter

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote