HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
All I'm saying is put yourself in the others shoes. Would Sather accept a Dubinsky like player package for Gaborik?
Depends.

Are we to also believe that Sather is the one that has a team that finished in the bottom of the barrel 4 years out 5 (With that 1 year being swept by the Red Wings in the first round), and who also gave his player a ridiculous contract with a NMC to boot?

Old
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
LordsCup*

Semin isnt taking a short term deal. Why do people think he is?

What 20-something yr old ufa in their prime takes a contract less then 3 years? Nobody.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
eco's bones

Richards should be better next year as well. Acclimating to NYC is not always easy for a lot of people. I don't think the Rangers are necessarily in a bad position starting next season--even with Gaborik hurt. This is a hardworking team--and unless we get really blistered with injuries they'll be back in the playoffs again--because the attitude will still be here, the work ethic will still be here, the young core will still be here and the demanding coach will still be here. And then there is us--we might not make a hell of a difference but I think the Rangers fans themselves are worth at least 3 or 4 points in the standings if only because we push the team too night after night. And then we have a Vezina goalie.

As the Kings prove this year anything can happen if the stars align right. And if a lot of the teams in the East are weaker we should be okay. In this regard the Pens lost Staal but Crosby should be there all year. Fleury has something to prove but his defense without Michalek probably won't be quite as good. Devils have a bunch of older players--now even one year older and no Parise. Henrique will have to prove he's for real. Flyers are questionable in goal and on defense again. And the Islanders are the Islanders.

The Bruins won't have Thomas and the Caps will probably not have Semin. Every team in the East seems to have some holes to fill and questions to answer.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont think the plan can be to hope that Getzlaf or Perry are there for the taking through free agency 12 months from now.
I'd be perfectly fine with at least one of them and hoping that Iginla decides that he wants a chance at hoisting the cup.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post

What ufa in their prime takes a contract less then 3 years? Nobody.
a guy that thinks he can get a better contract if he has a 30+ goal season this year.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Trust me, you don't want any part of Hemsky.
Yea... Hes a less talented Gabby. We don't need a 2nd scorer who - while I like him - seems to be made out of popsicle sticks. Hemsky doesn't add the punch to compete with Philly and Pitt in this division. Nash does. Ryan does.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
a guy that thinks he can get a better contract if he has a 30+ goal season this year.
that worked great for him last year.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Lundsanity30

3 problems with waiting for next years class...

1. Will anaheim even allow Perry or Getzlaf to hit FA especially if they lose Bobby Ryan?

2. 28 other teams will be fighting for those 2 players.

3. Would they even want to play here?

Also, its already been reported Iginla is going to retire in Calgary.

Old
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Washington Post

Quote:
In a phone interview in May just after the Caps were eliminated, Gandler said Semin wanted a multi-year deal.

"I'm not going to negotiate a deal through the press," he said. "But I think it's suffice to say that we're looking for a term of years."

Old
LordsCup*

Quote:
He is going to get his payday this year. 5 or more million easily. If he was so concerned with that he would have went all out this past year.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post

What 20-something yr old ufa in their prime takes a contract less then 3 years? Nobody.
a guy who doesn't want to commit or a guy willing to get overpaid for a year or a guy that wants to prove himself. his last contract was 1 year, no? it wouldn't be surprising at all.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:16 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
3 problems with waiting for next years class...

1. Will anaheim even allow Perry or Getzlaf to hit FA especially if they lose Bobby Ryan?
Then you go for other UFAs.

Quote:
2. 28 other teams will be fighting for those 2 players.
So?

Quote:
3. Would they even want to play here?
Go back to top.

Quote:
Also, its already been reported Iginla is going to retire in Calgary.
I guess all those other rumors where Feaster was hearing offers for Iginla fall to the wayside.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:16 PM
DutchShamrock

Zherdev got stuck when he was unrestricted and no one wanted his asking price. Caps were spent and was begging Sather for the QO he turned down.

Not that different here... different level of player and a different pay scale, but Semin may find himself taking a 1 year deal to prove he is a good teammate and is coachable.

Oh, and Hossa took a 1 year deal UFA in his prime years. Some examples off the top of my head.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Zherdev got stuck when he was unrestricted and no one wanted his asking price. Caps were spent and was begging Sather for the QO he turned down.

Not that different here... different level of player and a different pay scale, but Semin may find himself taking a 1 year deal to prove he is a good teammate and is coachable.

Oh, and Hossa took a 1 year deal UFA in his prime years. Some examples off the top of my head.
i would absolutely take him on a short term deal, most i offer is 3..

Old
Barnaby

Quote:
If I'm Semin... I take a 1 year deal with Pitt and put up 30+ next to Crosby.

Or there's always the Islanders: go be the man next to Tavares on a long term deal. They'd probably love to land a youngish scorer, and they probably know they aren't ever landing the top UFA...

Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post

Semin is not taking a one year deal. He just took two consecutive one year deals because he wanted to stay in Washington with Ovechkin.

Hossa took a one year deal to play in Detroit and try and win a Cup. Somehow, I doubt Semin is nearly as driven by that desire.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Richards should be better next year as well. Acclimating to NYC is not always easy for a lot of people. I don't think the Rangers are necessarily in a bad position starting next season--even with Gaborik hurt. This is a hardworking team--and unless we get really blistered with injuries they'll be back in the playoffs again--because the attitude will still be here, the work ethic will still be here, the young core will still be here and the demanding coach will still be here. And then there is us--we might not make a hell of a difference but I think the Rangers fans themselves are worth at least 3 or 4 points in the standings if only because we push the team too night after night. And then we have a Vezina goalie.

As the Kings prove this year anything can happen if the stars align right. And if a lot of the teams in the East are weaker we should be okay. In this regard the Pens lost Staal but Crosby should be there all year. Fleury has something to prove but his defense without Michalek probably won't be quite as good. Devils have a bunch of older players--now even one year older and no Parise. Henrique will have to prove he's for real. Flyers are questionable in goal and on defense again. And the Islanders are the Islanders.

The Bruins won't have Thomas and the Caps will probably not have Semin. Every team in the East seems to have some holes to fill and questions to answer.
Those teams aren't done yet either...

Rangers were a goal or two away from being ousted by Ott. The road to the Cup won't be easier when they meet Philly/Pitt/Boston in the first round next year...

Old
07-06-2012, 05:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Those teams aren't yet either...

Rangers were a goal or two away from being ousted by Ott. The road to the Cup won't be easier when they meet Philly/Pitt/Boston in the first round next year...
It won't be easier, but it's just as doable.

Philly and Pittsburgh have no defense, and Boston got beat by the team we beat to go to the EC Finals.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Semin is not taking a one year deal. He just took two consecutive one year deals because he wanted to stay in Washington with Ovechkin.

Hossa took a one year deal to play in Detroit and try and win a Cup. Somehow, I doubt Semin is nearly as driven by that desire.
it's really not something as absolute as you make it sound. we can't possibly know how he is thinking. for all we know he wants to test the the waters before he sets up a lengthy contract. maybe he really wants to play in ny or with crosby and malkin in pitts, or live in canada, or LA, or play on a team where he can focus on offense-- or a team where he can focus on improving his defensive game for that matter. if a team he really wants to go to only offers one year, it can't be ruled out that he takes a shorter deal. maybe he wants a retirement contract, maybe he doesn't.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
If I'm Semin... I take a 1 year deal with Pitt and put up 30+ next to Crosby.

Or there's always the Islanders: go be the man next to Tavares on a long term deal. They'd probably love to land a youngish scorer, and they probably know they aren't ever landing the top UFA...
And what if he blows his knee out?

Oops, that will look like a dumb move on his part. Hes not taking a one year deal.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It won't be easier, but it's just as doable.

Philly and Pittsburgh have no defense, and Boston got beat by the team we beat to go to the EC Finals.
Your a more confident man than me... Philly is going to make a splash at some point. I still have a funny feeling that they get Weber.

Pitt may not need much defense. I think they add some pieces as well - even of they wait until the trade deadline.

The Rangers need a top line scorer and they know it. I never thought I'd say this five years ago, but I actually have confidence in Sather.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Semin will make at least 6Mil a year and he'll find a team who will sign him to a 5+ year contract ::cough:: Devils

imo

Old
07-06-2012, 05:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Your a more confident man than me... Philly is going to make a splash at some point. I still have a funny feeling that they get Weber.

Pitt may not need much defense. I think they add some pieces as well - even of they wait until the trade deadline.

The Rangers need a top line scorer and they know it. I never thought I'd say this five years ago, but I actually have confidence in Sather.
Well they would have to give up a lot of key pieces to get him...so they would likely be worse yet, at least for next season.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Pizza

I'd love to see us add to the line up in a way that improves things over all. You know Sather's working on it.

But even if it winds up that we can't swing a deal that works, I have a lot faith in what we already have. This Kreider kid is gonna be a gem before the next season is thru. Other players we have are going to bounce back and/or improve.

Rangers are in much better shape than many here believe.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'd love to see us add to the line up in a way that improves things over all. You know Sather's working on it.

But even if it winds up that we can't swing a deal that works, I have a lot faith in what we already have. This Kreider kid is gonna be a gem before the next season is thru. Other players we have are going to bounce back and/or improve.

Rangers are in much better shape than many here believe.
I think they're a good team. I don't know if I believe they are a championship team. They don't have many holes, but the holes they have are harder to fill.

Closed Thread