HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too many defensemen

Old
07-06-2012, 04:29 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
I'd like to get McQuaid from the Bruins, he's the perfect 5th-6th nasty defencemen who can hit, intimidate and fight heavyweight.

Maybe Weber would be of interest for them now that they've lost Corvo, they got only Seidenberg and Chara as offensive D-mens. Maybe they'd give a shot back at Kaberle (doubt it). But Mcquaid is exactly the kind of player we need. And he's only 25.

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Diaz - McQuaid

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
They go with 8 D and 13 forwards, scratching two D and one forward. Don't really see the hurry to make any moves at this point, although seeing Kaberle traded out of town would make my day.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Very true.

The only problem is that you can't have Kaberle, Weber and Diaz in the same lineup. I would like to see Kaberle moved for a big bottom pairing d-man and Weber moved for a pick. Diaz would then be the 7th d-man and St. Denis would be the first call up.

I am sure there is a team looking for a veteran PMD that would be willing to move a big veteran D who is making more money than he is currently worth.
Diaz is one year removed from UFA, you play him 7th and it's pretty much guaranteed he's gone at season end.

While we have too many D right now, doing what you said would probably mean we wouldnt have enough to start next season.

Kaberle and Weber traded, Diaz gone trough UFA, Bouillon contract over... and we'd only have one right handed D (Subban).

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Very true.

The only problem is that you can't have Kaberle, Weber and Diaz in the same lineup. I would like to see Kaberle moved for a big bottom pairing d-man and Weber moved for a pick. Diaz would then be the 7th d-man and St. Denis would be the first call up.

I am sure there is a team looking for a veteran PMD that would be willing to move a big veteran D who is making more money than he is currently worth.
I very much agree with this thinking. Finding an overpaid veteran shutdown D to swap for Kaberle is really an option the team should explore. Hopefully they are. Bad as Kaberle is, he scored at a pace with the Habs that would've had him roughly top ten in the league. IF they can dump some money, I have to think there might be a taker for that. For the Habs part, we can overpay like Kaberle is, we just need a different player for those bucks. Especially if Markov actually stays healthy.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:39 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Having 8 d-men is the normal standard in today's NHL.
But you almost need one those to be someone who can be dispatched and recalled from the minors without going through waivers every time.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Emelin on the R side is better?
it's more that Bouillon on the R side is worse

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Why?

8 is a good number IMO. Creates good internal competition.

Plus the cap space will be there.
No doubt, but and I expect that number to stay at 8 by training camp, but I doubt we'll ride 8 NHL caliber d-men into the season if they are all healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
There won't be 8 healthy dman by the end of pre-season.
I think that's what it depends on. If they are all healthy, I doubt we'll retain 8. Not to mention, if Beaulieu and Tinordi show good signs in training camp, they may feel they have two-way depth. It all depends on pre-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yup, whatever people thing of his overall play, no one can denies the kid has a good shot. There would be no point in trading him for a 5th and later on in the year trading our 2nd for someone with a good slapper. Besides, Diaz is only a year removed from UFA, if we trade Weber and lose Diaz next season, we'll only have 1 RD (Subban).
Absolutely. I've mentioned trading weber in the past, but I wouldn't trade him for a bag of pucks or late pick. he can still be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Not really.

We can carry 8 defenseman and 13 forwards instead of the normal 7 defenseman and 14 forwards.
But do guys who established themselves, Aka: Diaz, Emelin, Boullion and more or less Weber want to be the 8th D-man?

As i said above, depends on pre-season, but I can easily see a move if we have 8 NHL d-man healthy. Not to mention, St-Denis and Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Nash may impress enough to give the team confidence in our depth going forward.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Habs13

Habs may not take Diaz' if he goes to arbitration and gets awarded too much... and Markov will probably be injured in the first week or two of the season again, so, you know.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
We have too many defensemen, when PK signs there will be Gorges, Subban, Markov, Bouillon, Diaz, Weber, Kaberle and Emelin.

So who gets moved? Any preference?
Right now, Weber is also the 14th forward. Seven full-time defencemen is not too many, not with three over 33 years old.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:33 PM
sammy d

We do not have too many dmen, 8 is standard, what we've gone with for years. Now if you said we have too many crappy dmen I would agree.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:47 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
No doubt, but and I expect that number to stay at 8 by training camp, but I doubt we'll ride 8 NHL caliber d-men into the season if they are all healthy.

I think that's what it depends on. If they are all healthy, I doubt we'll retain 8. Not to mention, if Beaulieu and Tinordi show good signs in training camp, they may feel they have two-way depth. It all depends on pre-season.

Absolutely. I've mentioned trading weber in the past, but I wouldn't trade him for a bag of pucks or late pick. he can still be useful.

But do guys who established themselves, Aka: Diaz, Emelin, Boullion and more or less Weber want to be the 8th D-man?

As i said above, depends on pre-season, but I can easily see a move if we have 8 NHL d-man healthy. Not to mention, St-Denis and Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Nash may impress enough to give the team confidence in our depth going forward.
Do they want to be the 8th dman? No, of course not. But would they rather be the 8th defenseman in the NHL rather than in the AHL? I'm sure they would.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:15 PM
NewHabsEra*

Weber will probably get traded during the camp for a late draft pick..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:26 PM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck191 View Post
trade kaberle to detroit for a 4th or 5th round pick they have a ton of cap space.
marek zidlicky was traded to the devils for Kurtis Foster, Nick Palmieri, Stephane Veilleux, 2nd rd pick in '12 and conditional pick in '13 at the deadline.

Zidlicky has 2 goals and 22 points in 63 games last year

Kaberle had 3 goals and 31 points in 72 games last year

sure lets trade kaberle for a 4th or 5th.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Do they want to be the 8th dman? No, of course not. But would they rather be the 8th defenseman in the NHL rather than in the AHL? I'm sure they would.
All one-way contracts. I highly doubt it matters at that point. Unless you want to put NHL d-men on waivers.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Weber will probably get traded during the camp for a late draft pick..
I really, really doubt it.

I think their goal is to have 8 NHL calibre d-men.

We all loved St. Denis in his little stint last year, but that shouldn't happen.

If you trade Weber, first game Emelin and Gorges go down for a month suddenly you're in huge trouble.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:53 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I'd like to get McQuaid from the Bruins, he's the perfect 5th-6th nasty defencemen who can hit, intimidate and fight heavyweight.

Maybe Weber would be of interest for them now that they've lost Corvo, they got only Seidenberg and Chara as offensive D-mens. Maybe they'd give a shot back at Kaberle (doubt it). But Mcquaid is exactly the kind of player we need. And he's only 25.

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Diaz - McQuaid
No in division trades thanks. Weber is still very young and could sting us in 2-3 years.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:33 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
We have too many defensemen, when PK signs there will be Gorges, Subban, Markov, Bouillon, Diaz, Weber, Kaberle and Emelin.

So who gets moved? Any preference?
Markov and the terrible contract we are tied to with him.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:40 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Markov and the terrible contract we are tied to with him.
How is Markov's contract terrible?

HE's signed for 2 more years, and if he's healthy he could be an incredible asset for this team, and if not the team has guys that they will play in his minutes and use his cap space on LTIR.

I really don't see Markov staying healthy, and being brutal. Makse no sense.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:43 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
How is Markov's contract terrible?

HE's signed for 2 more years, and if he's healthy he could be an incredible asset for this team, and if not the team has guys that they will play in his minutes and use his cap space on LTIR.

I really don't see Markov staying healthy, and being brutal. Makse no sense.
I honestly do not see his knee holding up but even if it does for what he brings to the team now we have guys to fill those min for less money.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:46 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I honestly do not see his knee holding up but even if it does for what he brings to the team now we have guys to fill those min for less money.
I'd like to see him actually play a few months of meaningful hockey before I make any declarations about what he "brings to the team now" but that's just me.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:25 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
A large portion of the habs success this coming season is going to be determined by Markov's ability. He's a game changer, or has been in the past at least.

We have no one to replace what he brings, because he's simply irreplaceable. For what he offers, puck moving, stability, vision, composure, he is one of the very best with his skill set.

This team needs him and in a bad way, without him, we're in trouble, looking at his performance late last year and determining he is finished based on that sample is ridiculous. No one knows what condition he'll be in this year, but our only option is to wait and see.

If he can return to even 85% it will be like the habs picked up the biggest UFA of the off season, his cerebral game is exactly what we need for the youngsters. Subban, weber and even Yemelin can all benefit from watching Markov's puck composure/vision.
he's basically had 6months to get himself into game shape, I am confident Markov will be a valuable asset this year and beyond.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:44 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Weber, he deserves his chance on another team. He has put up with alot of crap over the last few seasons.

And please sign goon defenseman who can play 20-30 games against the Bruins and now Sabres ( Scott ) and all the other teams in the east that use to run over the Habs.

How about we sign the big boy from Terrebonne, J-F Jacques ?

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 07-07-2012 at 07:55 AM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:20 AM
DAChampion

At any given time this team typically has between 2 and 4 defensemen on the injured list, so we'll possibly have too few defensemen by December.

I certainly prefer this situation to trading away 2nd rounders throughout the season.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Those are the same guys that filled those minutes to the tune of last place in the conference last year?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Dr. Recchi, I presume ?

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote