Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spurgy and Scandy

Old
07-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Jbcraig1883

vCash: 500
Spurgy and Scandy

While I can see the mods moving this to off-season or projected lineups, I wanted to focus solely on these two players.

I really think that these two guys are going to be under the radar this year. With all the hype of the recent free agents and the upcoming prospects, I think that these two are going to be a surprise. Now they will not be playing 22 minutes a game against opposing top lines. Having a true number 1 d-man in Suter will be great for their development. While our D does look suspect on paper, I am optimistic that these two will really be solid this year.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
I often sense a dismissal of Scandella on these boards; He had some growing pains last season, to be sure, but I think he is going to be a great top 4 guy for this team. Go Giraffe!

Spurgeon, well, how can you not like and root for the kid?

With a solid top pair of Buckys up top, it will be fun to watch these guys grow this season.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
IronRangeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I often sense a dismissal of Scandella on these boards; He had some growing pains last season, to be sure, but I think he is going to be a great top 4 guy for this team. Go Giraffe!

Spurgeon, well, how can you not like and root for the kid?

With a solid top pair of Buckys up top, it will be fun to watch these guys grow this season.

If he can get past the mental errors I agree. He's young and should get better. His game appeared to get better as the season progressed.

IronRangeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRangeHockey View Post
If he can get past the mental errors I agree. He's young and should get better. His game appeared to get better as the season progressed.
He played some monster minutes late in the season that sealed the deal for me. My only complaint is that while he is a fine skater, i wish he had a tad more speed. That would make him an elite prospect.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:15 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
the self-imposed pressure should be decreased dramatically this year for Scandella with two responsible D men eating most of the minutes. Spurgeon has great poise already but is limited...he's great for what he is, but ideally he'd be on the third pairing. Might even be there if Brodin makes the team. I'd really like to see Brodin and Scandella buddy up next year--Brodin's smarts and skating will allow Scandella to explore the offensive zone a little more.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Jbcraig1883

I think Spurgeon is limited due to his size but I still think he can play 4/5 minutes regularly just because of his smarts. I still feel he has more room to improve as his reactions and positioning will get better as he gets more experience.

While I am super excited for Brodin, I forgot how much we all were excited to see Scandella last year. A very mobile guy with a long reach...I still think he has great potential but it will take another season or so to really see him grow into his body and gain confidence.

It will be interesting to see how the D end up being paired but that is already being discussed in another thread.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
I think Spurgeon is limited due to his size but I still think he can play 4/5 minutes regularly just because of his smarts. I still feel he has more room to improve as his reactions and positioning will get better as he gets more experience.

While I am super excited for Brodin, I forgot how much we all were excited to see Scandella last year. A very mobile guy with a long reach...I still think he has great potential but it will take another season or so to really see him grow into his body and gain confidence.

It will be interesting to see how the D end up being paired but that is already being discussed in another thread.
i wasn't all that excited for scandella. i'm fairly sure i was more or less making fun of you all for assuming he was going to jump in and be a rockstar, (likely being a pompous ass about it). I'll grant that he showed growth in that he looked better at the end of the year than he did at the beginning, but he in no way shape or form has progressed as quickly as it seemed the majority of the people on this board expected him to. It doesn't rule out a development spurt, but manage those expectations. Brodin is a prospect of a completely different level than Scandella. Again, that isn't to say he will ever reach his potential or he won't disappoint at the NHL level as Scandella has. Expectations are, and should be, higher for Brodin. A lot higher.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

I want Scandella to get a legit shot at a Suter pairing.

I know pairing Suter with his old buddy Gilbert seems like everyone's take... but I think Going

Suter - Scandy
Gilbert - Spurgeon
Stoner - Falk

Makes more sense. If Brodin forces his way on the roster you put Falk as the 7th defenseman and slid Spurgeon to the bottom pairing.

This lets scandella learn from Suter and as he likely is going to be on this team longer than Gilbert, getting him to develop chemistry with Suter could set this team up for:

Suter - Scandella
Brodin - Dumba

In the future. I really think Brodin and Dumba are a great compliment to eachother, and if both develop would make an ideal pairing of an aggressive scoring d-man in Dumba with a stay at home dispiplined guy in Brodin to cover for Dumba when he gets aggressive.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:34 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

After watching Scandella last season, I'm about as down on him as any Wild player or prospect.

At some point he's got to show some sort of responsibility and consistency to his game. Realize he's a young kid pressed into high leverage situations, but I'm not sure he's got the hockey sense to really excel and progress the way some want.

As far as Spurgeon, I kept waiting for him to fall back to the pack and work his way back down to Houston. That never happened and certainly wasn't because the Wild had a lack of options. The kid just gets the game. Given his short-comings he's a player who's never going to be able to get comfortable with his spot and will need to continue to work to stay at this level. Whether he's able to hold off other more highly regarded prospects/players remains to be seen but given his make-up, I'm not exactly counting him out.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i'm not counting the spurge out of our top six either...which is a big step for me

Old
07-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
After watching Scandella last season, I'm about as down on him as any Wild player or prospect.

At some point he's got to show some sort of responsibility and consistency to his game. Realize he's a young kid pressed into high leverage situations, but I'm not sure he's got the hockey sense to really excel and progress the way some want.

As far as Spurgeon, I kept waiting for him to fall back to the pack and work his way back down to Houston. That never happened and certainly wasn't because the Wild had a lack of options. The kid just gets the game. Given his short-comings he's a player who's never going to be able to get comfortable with his spot and will need to continue to work to stay at this level. Whether he's able to hold off other more highly regarded prospects/players remains to be seen but given his make-up, I'm not exactly counting him out.
I get the inconsistency knock... But i think it's a product of being a 21 year old that was thrust into 20+ minutes a game as the #1 defenseman on a roster during a season where there were stretches of nearly zero talent on the roster.

What impressed me most was Scandella's 2 30+ minute games.

I think Scandella is the type of guy that will benefit a lot from the overall talent on the roster improving, as well as getting a more skilled pairing. Putting him on a line with Suter is the best chance he's gonna have to be a legit #2 defenseman.

That said, His leash is ultra short on that top pairing, if he falters you put gilbert with Suter fairly quickly.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i wasn't all that excited for scandella. i'm fairly sure i was more or less making fun of you all for assuming he was going to jump in and be a rockstar, (likely being a pompous ass about it). I'll grant that he showed growth in that he looked better at the end of the year than he did at the beginning, but he in no way shape or form has progressed as quickly as it seemed the majority of the people on this board expected him to. It doesn't rule out a development spurt, but manage those expectations. Brodin is a prospect of a completely different level than Scandella. Again, that isn't to say he will ever reach his potential or he won't disappoint at the NHL level as Scandella has. Expectations are, and should be, higher for Brodin. A lot higher.
Scandella is a perfect example of why these signing are so huge for this organization. Going into last year it seemed like we were dependent on Scandella becoming the next Brent Burns; quite frankly with our defense at the beginning of last year we pretty much were. Now with Suter and Gilbert adding experience,Dumba and Brodin coming down the pipeline and The Little One adding a little competition to the blue line Scandella no longer NEEDS to be that defensemen who comes to the Wilds rescue. Hopefully he can develop naturally now; just gain knowledge and confidence in his pro game and become what he should be. I believe that is a damn good second pairing defensemen. He will have a little pressure to keep him working his ass off (not that it was a problem) but a very healthy amount of support around him.

Last edited by Casper: 07-06-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:48 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
I want Scandella to get a legit shot at a Suter pairing.

I know pairing Suter with his old buddy Gilbert seems like everyone's take... but I think Going

Suter - Scandy
Gilbert - Spurgeon
Stoner - Falk

Makes more sense. If Brodin forces his way on the roster you put Falk as the 7th defenseman and slid Spurgeon to the bottom pairing.

This lets scandella learn from Suter and as he likely is going to be on this team longer than Gilbert, getting him to develop chemistry with Suter could set this team up for:

Suter - Scandella
Brodin - Dumba

In the future. I really think Brodin and Dumba are a great compliment to eachother, and if both develop would make an ideal pairing of an aggressive scoring d-man in Dumba with a stay at home dispiplined guy in Brodin to cover for Dumba when he gets aggressive.
Gilbert and Spurgeon are both right handed RD's. IMO- Suter will be paired with either Gilbert or Brodin next year, I'm hoping its Brodin

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:

D take YEARS to develop. 21 is a ridiculously short time fame except for elite defensemen. Scandella has a chance to be good but certainty not elite. He is still learning the pro game, and was a large part of our early success. Obviously he has huge issues with his consistency (and does tend to get injured often) but we started to see at the end of last year what some vets can do for the kid.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:

Scandella was the same in junior - was not consistent until his last season and the WJCs. Maybe I am more hoping than I am thinking realistically but 84 NHL games and not that many AHL games is really not a lot for a defenseman of his size and wingspan. Since he was a late bloomer, I think its going to take another year or two until we start seeing what he can really do. With the signing of Suter and with Brodin and Dumba waiting, we can afford to be a little more patient with Scandella.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Greatwhitenorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Scandella was the same in junior - was not consistent until his last season and the WJCs. Maybe I am more hoping than I am thinking realistically but 84 NHL games and not that many AHL games is really not a lot for a defenseman of his size and wingspan. Since he was a late bloomer, I think its going to take another year or two until we start seeing what he can really do. With the signing of Suter and with Brodin and Dumba waiting, we can afford to be a little more patient with Scandella.
This.

I'm confident he'll figure it out with Sydor's tutelage and with the reduced expectation.

If not, then its time to move him along. There's a different level of patience required now with the new expectation. The Wild don't want to rush prospects, but they need to be on accelerated timeline.

If Brodin has gained 10 or 15 pounds and is still just as slick and composed, he immediately jumps the queue to the top of the defensive prospect list.

Greatwhitenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:30 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Scandella should really come into his own this year, I think he'll make some noise. Spurgy I think will show that he can push for and handle top 4 minutes long term.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:38 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Scandella should really come into his own this year, I think he'll make some noise. Spurgy I think will show that he can push for and handle top 4 minutes long term.

I think he has already proven that. I also hope this year is the last year he is ever asked to play top 4 minutes.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:44 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
[/B]

I think he has already proven that. I also hope this year is the last year he is ever asked to play top 4 minutes.
I mean with the long term competition coming in.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:46 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I mean with the long term competition coming in.
I like Spurgeon, but if he is still in this teams top 4 in 2 or 3 years, something went terribly wrong.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I like Spurgeon, but if he is still in this teams top 4 in 2 or 3 years, something went terribly wrong.
amen. He's a good third pair guy who can step in for stretches without killing the team. Like brodziak playing 2nd line.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Really depends what your expectations for both Scandella and Spurgeon are.

I expect Scandella to turn into a defensive defenseman that can turn into a #3 defenseman. His reach, mobility, and size will allow him to do so. He also has a decent shot and has the ability to rush the puck up the ice, which makes him more than just a depth d-man IMO

Spurgeon, he's small but smart, agile, and can move the puck. But again, he's small and not exactly the most dynamic, he just plays real smart. He eats alot of minutes so I hope he can develop into a #4 defenseman

With those projections in mind, I think both youngsters did very well last season.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:30 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post

I expect Scandella to turn into a defensive defenseman that can turn into a #3 defenseman. His reach, mobility, and size will allow him to do so. He also has a decent shot and has the ability to rush the puck up the ice, which makes him more than just a depth d-man IMO

Spurgeon, he's small but smart, agile, and can move the puck. But again, he's small and not exactly the most dynamic, he just plays real smart. He eats alot of minutes so I hope he can develop into a #4 defenseman

With those projections in mind, I think both youngsters did very well last season.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

We should be able to keep them here for awhile.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 250
Quote:

I couldn't disagree more - I thought he was often our best defenseman last season.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:59 AM
JamesRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post

So we are going to need Brodin to slot into the #2 in the near future or make a fairly significant trade?

JamesRanger is offline   Reply With Quote