HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens Developmental Camp Roster (Camp July 10-14)

Old
07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
MonsterSurge

vCash: 500

Great hands. He strikes me has a less physical Kris Letang. He can score and can fight when he needs to fight.

Payerl - No idea. He sucks at fighting. I'm not sure on him skill-wise.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
MonsterSurge

I will find some highlights for each prospect if I am allowed. If need be, I will make my own highlight package so that you guys can check out our guys.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post

Great hands. He strikes me has a less physical Kris Letang. He can score and can fight when he needs to fight.

I like Derrick Pouliot he reminds me of Brian Campbell a little bit.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:

I will find some highlights for each prospect if I am allowed. If need be, I will make my own highlight package so that you guys can check out our guys.
Out of all the prospects Pittsburgh has I think I like Simon Despres the most, he has size, skills and can be physical he needs to work on making better decisions with the puck though.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Anyone know why Rust won't be there? I mean, if Velischek is there, you'd think Rust would be too (just in terms of 'quality'). Summer classes like Hanowski perhaps?

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:36 PM
MonsterSurge

You say our prospects won't go with each other? I present the man who fought Joe Morrow! Haha. He looks like he has some skill and could be a grinder.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:42 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:

You say our prospects won't go with each other? I present the man who fought Joe Morrow! Haha. He looks like he has some skill and could be a grinder.
I like the fact that he scores some of his goals in front of the net we need a player to screen the goalie, I remember Ryan Malone always being good at that.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:

We know who Uher is, guy.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM

Not sure why every thread these days turns into a fighting thread. I thought this was a hockey forum. I don't mind fighting in the game at all, I actually like it but FFS go watch boxing and UFC.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
wej20

Quote:

they fought each other before they were drafted when they were on different teams.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:49 PM
MonsterSurge

I'm just posting some highlights for people to watch. The Morrow thing was a joke and the Uher video is 99% scoring highlights.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Goal 7 View Post
Bryan Rust not on the roster - is he just not even a prospect for us anymore, or is it an NCAA thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Anyone know why Rust won't be there? I mean, if Velischek is there, you'd think Rust would be too (just in terms of 'quality'). Summer classes like Hanowski perhaps?

It's probably just the NCAA thing, or perhaps the summer classes. Either way, don't be too upset; I don't think Rust has much upside, unlike Hanowski.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Just seemed strange since other NCAA guys were going this year.

And I'm with you, although I'm still willing to give Rust the benefit of the doubt with the all-important junior year coming up. I'm not holding my breath, however.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
Not sure why every thread these days turns into a fighting thread. I thought this was a hockey forum. I don't mind fighting in the game at all, I actually like it but FFS go watch boxing and UFC.
Hockey fights are a big part of the game, it's highly demanded and the majority of people who watch hockey love it. Since nothing is going on during the off-season it's a good topic to talk about even on this thread.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Hophog

[QUOTE=clefty;52189427]a) This is 90% an instructional camp
b) There's no fighting at Penguin camps[[B]/QUOTE][/B]

Maybe we aren't drafting/inviting the right players

Seriously though. How do they practice, learn or play when the entire group is made up of high draft pick D-men against unknown forwards? It seems like they should bring in some AHL forwards to get a better sense of how the D-men are developing. Will any goals be scored in the scrimage? I guess most of them are offensive d-men so there should be some goals.. Seems awfully imbalanced is my point, I guess.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophog View Post
Maybe we aren't drafting/inviting the right players

Seriously though. How do they practice, learn or play when the entire group is made up of high draft pick D-men against unknown forwards? It seems like they should bring in some AHL forwards to get a better sense of how the D-men are developing. Will any goals be scored in the scrimage? I guess most of them are offensive d-men so there should be some goals.. Seems awfully imbalanced is my point, I guess.
This is more about learning systems and an introduction to the Penguins organisation rather than a real test, the real test comes for those who make it to the main camp.

Last edited by wej20: 07-06-2012 at 09:01 PM.
wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Hockey fights are a big part of the game, it's highly demanded and the majority of people who watch hockey love it. Since nothing is going on during the off-season it's a good topic to talk about even on this thread.
Prospect development camp thread is a good place to talk about fighting. now I've heard it all. If you say so.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
This is more about learning systems and an introduction to the Penguins organisation rather than a real test, the real test comes for those who make it to the main camp.
Yeah, that makes sense. I've never been to one so I have no real idea as to what goes on. The scrimmage part caught my eye though and when I started trying to imagine matchups that might make it interesting I couldn't really think of any outside of Bennett.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Mr. T

Quote:

Much less physical. Also, I wouldn't expect Pouliot to fight at all at the NHL level because A. he's not that big and B. he sucks at fighting.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Much less physical. Also, I wouldn't expect Pouliot to fight at all at the NHL level because A. he's not that big and B. he sucks at fighting.
He's more Duncan Keith

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
He's more Duncan Keith
well that sucks

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:00 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Who the **** is going to fight at a prospect camp and who the **** cares at this point? Seriously.
Ok calm down Mr. Burgundy.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:

I'm hoping his physial games blossems. I saw him play with an edge and he looked a lot like Giordano. I know its not the norm for him but he was downright awesome that game.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm hoping his physial games blossems. I saw him play with an edge and he looked a lot like Giordano. I know its not the norm for him but he was downright awesome that game.
Letang struggled to consistently play with an edge early in his career too. I can remember watching him play a game a few years ago against Atlanta and he was physical and mean all over the ice. I wondered why he wasn't doing that every game. He has begun to play that way much more consistently the past two years though. I guess it just takes time getting comfortable playing that way. Hopefully Pouliot follows a similar path. I know he said his Portland coach is always preaching to him to be more physical and harder to play against.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Letang struggled to consistently play with an edge early in his career too. I can remember watching him play a game a few years ago against Atlanta and he was physical and mean all over the ice. I wondered why he wasn't doing that every game. He has begun to play that way much more consistently the past two years though. I guess it just takes time getting comfortable playing that way. Hopefully Pouliot follows a similar path. I know he said his Portland coach is always preaching to him to be more physical and harder to play against.
I believe it also depends on their body size. If Gerbe or Ellis tried to hit as much as Phaneuf then they'd be out of the league in a few seasons. Give them (Pens prospects) time to gain mass like Letang and I'm sure the hitting will pick up a bit.

How physical was Letang in the Q? Serious question.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote