HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster 2012-2013 - Part II

Old
07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
The Gervais signing was a clear case that Holmgren doesnt trust Gus or Bourdon. The Lilja signing last year and Gervais signing this year was in indication of that. 2 signings that are nothing more then wastes of contracts.

Timonen-Grossman
Coburn-Schenn
Mez-Lilja/Gervais

What do you do with Bourdon and Gus? I was really hoping that letting Carle walk was a indication that Holmgren was FINALLY going to trust the kids.
The Gervais signing is a good thing regardless though. He's a puck mover and right-handed. He's not a good player, but it's at least an option. I think Bourdon will be starting third pairing and have a hard time thinking Homer can't see that he and Gustafsson (even Manning) were just fine last year, but Gervais is not a bad depth guy.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
The Gervais signing was a clear case that Holmgren doesnt trust Gus or Bourdon. The Lilja signing last year and Gervais signing this year was in indication of that. 2 signings that are nothing more then wastes of contracts.

Timonen-Grossman
Coburn-Schenn
Mez-Lilja/Gervais

What do you do with Bourdon and Gus? I was really hoping that letting Carle walk was a indication that Holmgren was FINALLY going to trust the kids.
I look at the Gervais signing as someone who can push Gus and Bourdon. Gus was on his way to becoming a very good defender until his wrist was injured and he had to get it operated on. He wasn't quite up to par when he came back, but I thought he turned a corner with his play in the playoffs (yes, there were a few errors he made, but errors that can be easily corrected).

Bourdon though, hasn't started working out yet because he's dealing with post concussion syndrome. That worries me a bit because he was also on his way to becoming a good defender as well. Maybe I'm over-hyping Bourdon and Gustafsson, but I really think those two get it and can be very good players here. I think there's more upside to those two guys than just 5 - 6 guys. Like I said, I think the Gervais signing is nothing more than something to light a fire under those two and get them to play at a high level right away.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
LI Fly Guy

How sick would the D be if Pronger came back?

Pronger- Mez
Kimmo - Luke
Coby - Grossmann

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

As much as i would love for Prongs to come back, it's a pipe dream.

It's such a sad thing to see a players career ended before he chooses too.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
We don't know if there were any issues between Doan and Bryz, and if there were, Doan wasn't one of the guys to come out and say it. Obviously, that's something Homer would find out rather quickly when inquiring about his availability.
Doan strikes me ad the kind of guy that gets alonv with everyone that isn't a straight up a-hole.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
How sick would the D be if Pronger came back?

Pronger- Mez
Kimmo - Luke
Coby - Grossmann
I miss Pronger every time I think about our roster

isn't it something that this team is probably a Pronger away from the cup?

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post

Yeah, we are all talking about trading Schenn/Couturier/Read for Shea Weber. Yet, we have him on LTIR. How bad is that.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I beg to differ. Laughton, Cousins and Gustafsson are going to be pivotal players in the future success of this franchise. Cousins will not be a center in the NHL. He's going to be moved to the wing and the guy has an excellent skill set that will make him a successful player in the NHL.

Laughton's game really took off in Oshawa after Boone Jenner went down and he was put into an offensive role. Laughton is expected to be the top center in Oshawa this year, so 80-90 points is not out of the realm at all. And with his solid two-way game, you find a spot in your lineup for guys like that.

Gustafsson is also going to benefit from the Carle move because he should slide into the number 6 role and get constant ice time. Last season, Gustafsson was on his way to becoming a good defenseman when his wrist was injured. Now that he's healthy, I expect a big year from Gustafsson.

So, don't think these guys don't have a future here. On the contrary, they'll be playing pivotal roles in two to three years.
I agree with everything you said about building up the prospect pool before any big trade. I don't think Gus will amount to much although I do see some other guys on the phantoms that could one day have an NHL future all be it as lower end defenseman, like Manning or Laurdisen. I am also curious to see how Konan, Mangene and Johnston do this year in the AHL. If one of these guys hit, the prospect pool will be significantly enhanced enough to trade players or picks next summer or at the deadline.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post

I really doubt he comes back, and if he does, I doubt that he'll be the Pronger he was before, but yeah if he didn't have that injury, we'd be something special.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I really doubt he comes back, and if he does, I doubt that he'll be the Pronger he was before, but yeah if he didn't have that injury, we'd be something special.
It's possible we are celebrating a cup right now. He made that much of a difference.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
TheKingPin

We would have been in the finals at least

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I look at the Gervais signing as someone who can push Gus and Bourdon. Gus was on his way to becoming a very good defender until his wrist was injured and he had to get it operated on. He wasn't quite up to par when he came back, but I thought he turned a corner with his play in the playoffs (yes, there were a few errors he made, but errors that can be easily corrected).

Bourdon though, hasn't started working out yet because he's dealing with post concussion syndrome. That worries me a bit because he was also on his way to becoming a good defender as well. Maybe I'm over-hyping Bourdon and Gustafsson, but I really think those two get it and can be very good players here. I think there's more upside to those two guys than just 5 - 6 guys. Like I said, I think the Gervais signing is nothing more than something to light a fire under those two and get them to play at a high level right away.
Not saying much that they need a guy like Gervais to push Gus or Bourdon when healthy. if they need a guy like that to push them to be better then that really isnt saying much about their compitiveness.
I still believe Gus can be a solid bottom pairing defenseman for the Flyers. He was playing pretty well as you said before he was hurt.
I hadnt thought of Bourdon's PCS issues at all. I honestly didnt think it was an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
The Gervais signing is a good thing regardless though. He's a puck mover and right-handed. He's not a good player, but it's at least an option. I think Bourdon will be starting third pairing and have a hard time thinking Homer can't see that he and Gustafsson (even Manning) were just fine last year, but Gervais is not a bad depth guy.
He isnt a good player. I am not sure hes a good fit here at all. never should of given him that extra year. They already have Lilja around. You have Lilja,Gervais,Gus and Bourdon for one spot essentially. One contract to many at least.
Its not like we can dump Lilja in the minors. Unless the CBA changes his cap hit counts regardless.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:48 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Serious question. How old are you? because this whole post wreaks of a 10 year old.

Detroit have won multiple cups building only from their draft selections. I wonder what would of happened if they just gave up all of their prospects too. It's a joke that people think like this.
I'm 24. And nothing about my post reeks of a 10 year old. And I've actually played hockey for 18 years at various levels, so don't attack my maturity because my opinion differs from yours.

THAT reeks of a 10 year old. It's a joke that you believe your mindset towards the importance of our own prospect pool is any more of a valid opinion than mine, or anyone else's for that matter. It's also a joke that you'd compare our prospect pool to that of the prospects from the drafts that won Detroit their cups. We don't have any of them. Period.

Instead of insulting people, how about you actually respond like the knowledgable person you claim to be.

I happen to not have much faith in most of the current prospects we have. That does not skew my knowledge of the game or the importance of prospects one bit. I just don't see anything special in any of the pieces we have. We have OK prospects in Cousins, Gustafsson etc. and a bit of a wildcard in Laughton, but everyone beyond those would floor me if they ever made any sort of significant impact in the NHL.

Also, you mean to use the word 'reek' rather than 'wreak'.

Last edited by orange is better: 07-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Not saying much that they need a guy like Gervais to push Gus or Bourdon when healthy. if they need a guy like that to push them to be better then that really isnt saying much about their compitiveness.
I still believe Gus can be a solid bottom pairing defenseman for the Flyers. He was playing pretty well as you said before he was hurt.
I hadnt thought of Bourdon's PCS issues at all. I honestly didnt think it was an issue.
There's nothing wrong with a little competition to light a fire under someone. I think it's a good thing to have as many bodies as possible competing for a few open positions. It really does mean that the best will rise to the occasion. I don't think there's anything wrong with Bourdon or Gustafsson's compete factor either. I think that this is a move designed to further their development by giving them some competition for a final spot on the team and keeping that spot while improving.

Personally, I love Gustafsson's game and think he'll be ready to push for a top four position within a year. He's a smaller guy, so he's got to think quicker than some of the other guys do because of his size. I think most people who read my posts will tell you I'm big on smart players than physical players. Smart players see plays developing and are always in the right place at the right time to either break up a play or to jump in and create a scoring chance. That's what I see with a guy like Gustafsson. His positioning is sound and the more ice time he gets, the more he'll be able to really think things through and really develop that side of his game.

Quote:
He isnt a good player. I am not sure hes a good fit here at all. never should of given him that extra year. They already have Lilja around. You have Lilja, Gervais, Gus and Bourdon for one spot essentially. One contract to many at least. Its not like we can dump Lilja in the minors. Unless the CBA changes his cap hit counts regardless.
I agree about Gervais. He's not a very good player at all. With that being said, I see the whole battle for "#6" as being more than just a battle for one spot. I think this is going to be a battle for who really has a future in Philadelphia and can they improve and eventually be a top four guy. Gustafsson has shown that he can certainly play lots of minutes and be a solid contributor. Same with Bourdon. I think the #6 is all about getting guys playing time and if they play very well in that role, when an injury comes up, the team knows that they can move said player into a top four spot and not worry about a drop in performance. And if said performance increases, then you've got a possible trade chip to use. I think it's beneficial all around.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:15 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
A whole lot of overrating Erik Gustafsson goin on!!!

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I agree. H doesn't seem to have the defensive savvy of Timmon needed for a player of his size. He is a guy who is going to have to have controlled minutes and match ups his whole career. I hope I am wrong and he will be able to play like he did in game six against the Penguins all the time.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:35 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
He's not a hall of famer by 23 so he must be garbage right? Guys never develop or anything.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
He's not a hall of famer by 23 so he must be garbage right? Guys never develop or anything.
Hes not the hard hitter like MAB so people get mad.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
fine trade him and Bourdon for 7th round picks and sign a couple of tough 35 + plus defenseman to multi year deals.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Considering his age and low level of experience, Gus has intrigued me with what he's shown. Definitely surpassed my expectations.

07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
While I won't equate him to Timonen, or anyone else in the NHL, I do think he's a reasonable choice to compete for a bottom-6 pairing. Good and cheap is a desirable combination for bottom lines/pairings. The one thing Gustaffson has going against him to crack the line-up this season is still being waiver-ineligible.

As it stands, there's really only one spot open (barring a deal or moving Lilja to Adirondack and eating his cap hit), and Bourdon is waiver-eligible so it's theoretically his job to lose. Gervais is in the mix, but I wouldn't lose any sleep sending him down.

The best hockey line-up, depending on performance of course, would be Meszaros - Bourdon on the third pairing and Gervais as the 7th Dman. Mix in Gervais liberally to give Dmen regular time off, especially Timonen and especially against weaker opponents. Lilja costs the team $737,500 (isn't it funny having to search for the Flyers on capgeek rather than automatically seeing them at the top of the teams list?) in Adirondack and can be recalled with very little chance (IMHO) of being claimed by anyone else if/when injuries occur.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:25 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Here is my desired roster based on progress so far:

Semin won't cost only $5.5M

Unless as part of a long-term deal.

If he signs for one year it seems impossibly low.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:31 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
My roster, it come complimentary with a Stanley Cup
I like this one.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Considering his age and low level of experience, Gus has intrigued me with what he's shown. Definitely surpassed my expectations.
I don't know why Gus doesn't get more talk on these boards. I have literally seen nothing from him to complain about. He is by far our most mobile defenceman and has an ability to puck handle through the offense. He showed quite a bit of physicality in the Pittsburgh series and held his own. I say pair him with Coburn and let him get some game experience before going to worst players such as Bourdon and Gervais.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:54 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
While I won't equate him to Timonen, or anyone else in the NHL, I do think he's a reasonable choice to compete for a bottom-6 pairing. Good and cheap is a desirable combination for bottom lines/pairings. The one thing Gustaffson has going against him to crack the line-up this season is still being waiver-ineligible.

As it stands, there's really only one spot open (barring a deal or moving Lilja to Adirondack and eating his cap hit), and Bourdon is waiver-eligible so it's theoretically his job to lose. Gervais is in the mix, but I wouldn't lose any sleep sending him down.

The best hockey line-up, depending on performance of course, would be Meszaros - Bourdon on the third pairing and Gervais as the 7th Dman. Mix in Gervais liberally to give Dmen regular time off, especially Timonen and especially against weaker opponents. Lilja costs the team $737,500 (isn't it funny having to search for the Flyers on capgeek rather than automatically seeing them at the top of the teams list?) in Adirondack and can be recalled with very little chance (IMHO) of being claimed by anyone else if/when injuries occur.
Gus has better stats than Timonen at this stage of their careers. Timonen faced better competition though at a younger age. Timonen didn't "breakout" until 26. Gus's AHL year was very encouraging. Anyway, he's got some upside for a 23 year old. He wasn't a trainwreck out there vs NJD, he was at least even in every game. And I'm not saying he's going to be as good as KT, but KT wasn't supposed to end up being KT either.....

Depending on what they do with him, this may be a telling year for the young man. But eh, lets send him to the glue factory because he isn't an all star at 23.

Last edited by achdumeingute: 07-07-2012 at 03:00 PM.
achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote