HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jeff Beukeboom returns to NYR organization

Old
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Perfect fit for McIlrath's first pro-season

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:01 PM
mrhockey193195

Love it! It's been nice having Leetch, Mess, Graves all a part of the organization in the last several years (and Richter has been around every now and again)...continuing Gilbert's tradition of active Rangers alumni with the fanbase and within the organization. We haven't seen that much of Beuk for a while, it'll be great having back on board.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:18 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Great news. Love the Beuk. Couldn't find a better tutor for McIlrath.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Love it! It's been nice having Leetch, Mess, Graves all a part of the organization in the last several years (and Richter has been around every now and again)...continuing Gilbert's tradition of active Rangers alumni with the fanbase and within the organization. We haven't seen that much of Beuk for a while, it'll be great having back on board.
Gilbert is great. He goes to my gym. Every day during the playoffs he was on the bike in his 85th anniversary t-shirt. First time I saw him...

Me: Hey, aren't you one of the greatest hockey players of all-time?

Rod: I've never been mistaken for that before...

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Gilbert is great. He goes to my gym. Every day during the playoffs he was on the bike in his 85th anniversary t-shirt. First time I saw him...

Me: Hey, aren't you one of the greatest hockey players of all-time?

Rod: I've never been mistaken for that before...
When I first started following the Rangers Rod Gilbert was my favorite player. He was a damned good player although his style was a bit cutesy pie. Then again he was small--he did what he had to do. Who can argue? Good enough for the HOF even without a Stanley Cup. He was a ladies man and nothing necessarily wrong with that. Made for Manhattan. He's always been a Ranger. His childhood pal Ratelle was one hell of a hockey player too.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:28 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
CM Punk, where are you? Come take a bow - you called it at least a week ago.
i love it. besides being the perfect coach for mcilrath plus i've always felt that beuke is one of the most under-appreciated rangers ever cause he's not part of the 'big 4' from 94 so its fantastic to have him back in the family

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I'm all happy now.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Welcome back Beuk!!!!

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:37 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Great move.

Does this mean we pick up Brock later on?

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:22 PM
chosen

I'm in the minority, but I thought Beuk was a very overrated dman. Plenty tough, but otherwise ordinary. No opinion of him as a coach.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I'm in the minority, but I thought Beuk was a very overrated dman. Plenty tough, but otherwise ordinary. No opinion of him as a coach.
he allowed leetch to be leetch

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:58 PM
CM PUNK

rangers have been trying to replace beukeboom for 14 years = not overrated...the impact that his loss had on the team and leetch for years after speaking more about his value than 'watching' him play.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
rangers have been trying to replace beukeboom for 14 years = not overrated...the impact that his loss had on the team and leetch for years after speaking more about his value than 'watching' him play.
To this day I'm still hoping something horrific happens to that ***** Johnson. I swear I'll pop a bottle of champagne if he buys it.

The Rangers gave the number 23 away way too fast for someone that gave his health for them.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:47 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
he allowed leetch to be leetch
That's nonsense. Who allowed Orr to be Orr, Park to be Park, Potvin to be Potvin, Robinson to be Robinson, Bourque to be Bourque.................

Old
07-07-2012, 04:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Beuk is worse than the current top 4. Beuk couldn't break into the current top 4 and it wouldn't be close. Sauer when and if healthy is better, as well. He's a third pairing dman.

Leetch made Beuk, not the other way around.

Old
07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Beuk is worse than the current top 4. Beuk couldn't break into the current top 4 and it wouldn't be close. Sauer when and if healthy is better, as well. He's a third pairing dman.

What matters is that Leetch and Beukeboom had chemistry together.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:

beuk and leetch weren't even comparable. they're entirely different players. the opposite styles complimented each other.

you're acting as though people think beuk was better than leetch which obviously isn't the case. beuk allowed leetch to play his game. beuk created space and was strong defensively.

leetch made beuk? yeah right. beuk was a physical guy who could play solid d. that's all their is to it. beuk didn't make leetch either. he allowed leetch to be leetch and leetch allowed beuk into a top pairing position.

nobody is saying leetch is better than beuk. beuk was solid defensively and a physical guy. leetch was a legend.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Crease

The closest we've had to Beuk since Beuk retired was Sauer.

Beuk was a very steady stay-at-home defenseman. Guy was a +63 over 8 seasons with the Rangers despite having only 90 points. Fans love the guy. How could you not.

Old
07-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:

At that time in the league Beauk's impact on the game would be a lot more relevant THEN than it would be today. Back then you wouldn't be able to see someone like MDZ skate through the neutral zone without having someone like Beuk out there to be a huge presence. Nevermind the fact that he could play regular minutes..... its just a combination you dont find in the game too much anymore.

I agree he probably wouldnt be a top 4 in the game nowadays, but I think your overlooking the fact of the era in which he played in.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
To this day I'm still hoping something horrific happens to that ***** Johnson. I swear I'll pop a bottle of champagne if he buys it.

The Rangers gave the number 23 away way too fast for someone that gave his health for them.
This, I was watching that game and couldn't believe what I saw, a total ******* thing he did.

I will reserve judgement on Beukeboom as a coach. JJ Daigneault had a pretty good track record. He has some shoes to fill. I hope he is up to the task, especially in the case of McIlrath, as JB is the shining example of the player he can become.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:29 PM
eco's bones

I remember one playoff series against the Panthers when Beuk knocked 3 of the Florida players right out of the playoffs. Johan Garpenlov was one, Bill Lindsay another--I'm not sure about the third--maybe it was Gelinas. Him and Lindsay collided head on--Lindsay saw it coming and braced himself but the force of the hit broke his leg anyway.

A lot of what Beuk did in those days though he wouldn't be able to get away with now but that could be said for a lot of guys. High hits--no big deal. Crosschecking the **** out of anyone who came near your crease. A lot more hooking, holding, slashing, kneeing and everything else. Stevens or Daneyko would have had to curb their games as well. Messier. Lindros. There would be tons of suspensions today.

Beukeboom did provide a comfort level for Leetch to excel in. But the Rangers had other tough guys as well and anybody taking liberties with #2 was going to pay a price. Graves was a guided missile whenever someone did dirt to one of his teammates. Gord Donnelly was taking runs at Leetch one game and Messier did the old Mike Richards-David Booth---Matt Cooke on Marc Savard to Mike Modano who was laid out cold on the ice and fell off the stretcher on the way to the ambulance. That pretty much ended the crap in that game. Having guys like Kocur and Domi didn't hurt either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I remember one playoff series against the Panthers when Beuk knocked 3 of the Florida players right out of the playoffs. Johan Garpenlov was one, Bill Lindsay another--I'm not sure about the third--maybe it was Gelinas. Him and Lindsay collided head on--Lindsay saw it coming and braced himself but the force of the hit broke his leg anyway.

A lot of what Beuk did in those days though he wouldn't be able to get away with now but that could be said for a lot of guys. High hits--no big deal. Crosschecking the **** out of anyone who came near your crease. A lot more hooking, holding, slashing, kneeing and everything else. Stevens or Daneyko would have had to curb their games as well. Messier. Lindros. There would be tons of suspensions today.

Beukeboom did provide a comfort level for Leetch to excel in. But the Rangers had other tough guys as well and anybody taking liberties with #2 was going to pay a price. Graves was a guided missile whenever someone did dirt to one of his teammates. Gord Donnelly was taking runs at Leetch one game and Messier did the old Mike Richards-David Booth---Matt Cooke on Marc Savard to Mike Modano who was laid out cold on the ice and fell off the stretcher on the way to the ambulance. That pretty much ended the crap in that game. Having guys like Kocur and Domi didn't hurt either.
I wish I could find the youtube of Messier knocking out one of the Sutter brothers chicklets right after a face-off. Lol You can see Sutter jawing at him and then you saw teeth flying across the ice. It wasn't a great idea to mess with Messier. It was like watching a surgeon. hahahahhaa

Old
07-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
I wish I could find the youtube of Messier knocking out one of the Sutter brothers chicklets right after a face-off. Lol You can see Sutter jawing at him and then you saw teeth flying across the ice. It wasn't a great idea to mess with Messier. It was like watching a surgeon. hahahahhaa
The NHL used to be a man's game. The owners soon realized they could make more money appealing to families, hence why you see the violence being curbed now.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The NHL used to be a man's game. The owners soon realized they could make more money appealing to families, hence why you see the violence being curbed now.
Oh I know I used to play with a few older players in pick up games. Toughest SOB's I ever met, lots of fun too. I am not a blood and guts guy, meaning I understand taking some of the WWF stuff out. However, street justice needs to be allowed to a certain degree. You wouldn't see half the nonsense that goes on if there was some measure of mutually assured destruction expected if you cross the line.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Edge

Quote:
That's nonsense. Who allowed Orr to be Orr, Park to be Park, Potvin to be Potvin, Robinson to be Robinson, Bourque to be Bourque.................
Leetch never had as much chemistry with anyone as he did Beukeboom.

I agree Leetch would've been great no matter what. Beukeboom provided the right comfort level for him to be better.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote