HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Feaster is not one of the worst gm's!

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
KaraLupin
카라

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Listening to Feaster on NHL Live yesterday was an exercise in head-scratching:

- In explaining his free agent strategy this summer, he recounted the Flames pitch to Brad Richards last summer. According to Feaster, Richards had to "give pause" in considering the Rangers or other offers after listening to the Flames offer. Feaster characterized that the Flames were the runner-up to getting Richards - which sounded like a huge stretch IMO.

- Feaster then said that, rather than put all their energies into going after the top free agents like Parise and Suter, they decided to chase hard the "next best players". He viewed Hudler as the 2nd best after Parise amongst UFA forwards and Wideman the 2nd best defenseman behind Suter.

are you serious? hahahahah

Old
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I kind of get tired of seeing people put Snow as one of the worst he has horrible limitations by his owner. Any GM would have a tough time working for the NYI. Snow really hasn't made any overly terrible deals.

I kind of think Feaster is in a similar tough position of having an ownership group that doesn't want to rebuild.
I have to agree, it's hard to rate GMs but you have to look at what they are given and the results they produce. In the case of Snow I am guessing it's dictated from above the team have the lowest actual payroll(I believe the Islanders only dished out like 40M dollars this season and used bonuses that players didn't reach to get over the cap min) in the league and the results he gets show that.

Probably the best way to see who really is a bad GM is look at teams that have high payrolls and underperform to what they are paying for

Old
07-06-2012, 07:58 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I don't agree with this at all.

So you're saying that keeping Jerome Iginla and Miika Kiprusoff for the remainder of their careers are good moves simply because the Flames are unlikely to get the better end of a deal?

Say these players play three more seasons in Calgary prior to retiring. In those years they bring zero championships to Calgary.

So both retire having not won a single championship in their respective careers and both retire obviously leaving two gaping holes in Calgary's line-up once they are gone.

Do you not think Iginla could've helped the LA Kings this past spring? Or the Bruins the season before? And while you may not have won the deal, you can still say that Jerome Iginla won a Stanley Cup in his career. And you can do so while adding some valuable (albeit less-valuable as he gets closer to retirement) assets in return for his services.

If the playoffs are a faint hope at the deadline every year, Jay Feaster is shooting the Calgary Flames in the foot holding on to his hand and waiting until the next season. That isn't a sign of a good General Manager.
I agree with this. This is kind of what we are looking to do with Luongo. We know we will loose the trade when we do trade him as you always do when you are trading the best player, but we still want assets for him.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I bleed Oiler blue

vCash: 591
I just find it funny that a Flames fan starts a thread and then defends his GM and automatically uses the Oilers GM as one of the comparisons to say he is better. I don't think you can rate Tambellini yet as up to this point everything he has done has been easy. The team decided to rebuild and he let the stink, got the first round picks, and picked the players. Should not have signed anyone worth any money, and needed to just stay the course. He did exactly as he should have instead of listening to the people moaning for signings. Where you rate Tambellini is in the next two years when he has to fill in the puzzle pieces. That is where you will see what he is worth. So to compare Feaster who is doing what the Oilers did for years and just hang on for that 8-10th spot to Tambellini is not an accurate process because based on that Feaster has performed much worse than expectations. Compare him against his own work and I think that shows he has done a poor job.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

This thread has been good for laughs. Great job, OP.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
clownquestionbro*

All gm's should try to lose according to HF. God forbid that you give your fans something to cheer about.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Jonathan17
Trollface!

Feester is not one of the worst GMs.

High praise indeed!

Old
07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Listening to Feaster on NHL Live yesterday was an exercise in head-scratching:

- In explaining his free agent strategy this summer, he recounted the Flames pitch to Brad Richards last summer. According to Feaster, Richards had to "give pause" in considering the Rangers or other offers after listening to the Flames offer. Feaster characterized that the Flames were the runner-up to getting Richards - which sounded like a huge stretch IMO.

- Feaster then said that, rather than put all their energies into going after the top free agents like Parise and Suter, they decided to chase hard the "next best players". He viewed Hudler as the 2nd best after Parise amongst UFA forwards and Wideman the 2nd best defenseman behind Suter.

I... Just...

The only way Calgary was the runner up in landing Richards is if Feaster's entire pitch was:

Frankly, even then I doubt it. Seriously, could he sound any more arrogant with this nonsense? He sounds like a damn child. "Oh, all the moves I made were easily the best not counting the elite players."

Old
07-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Zal

He's not, but rebuild the damn team for crying out loud.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:13 PM
lovemynephews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I don't think Feaster is, but time will tell, but Sutter was awful...and Feaster has to clean that up.
Jay Feaster built the 2004 Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning, Im a Sabres fan living in Tampa and would love to have Jay Feaster as GM in Buffalo and replace Regier.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
zeus3007*

So...all I've really seen is a list of 4 gm's who some people think are worse. In my opinion, if there are only 4 worse gm's, then he is indeed one of the worst gm's in the league. Just sayin'.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Turboed

Not really getting all the feaster hate. No he isnt doing a complete lose and get lottery pick rebuild, but he is doing something as far as skill goes. The signings arent "sutter" type players which I think is a step in the right direction. As for a "re-build", it would seem the flames top 6 possibly has three new guys in it (assuming backlund and glencross get bumped to the third line) and 1 new guy in the top 4 d-men. This seems like a big change to me? It is trying something at least.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:13 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
is the OP actually Jay Feaster?
no. You could tell if he was because all of the keys would have been mashed down.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:16 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
As bad as Feaster is and he is, the team have been close to making the playoffs.
Burke and some of these other teams have never iced a "competitive" bubble team.

For that reason I remove Feaster from worst GM list (but he is still pretty bad nonetheless)
Close doesn't cut it. In those years where the Calgary Flames has been close, but did not make the playoffs they could've tanked and got future superstars. Instead they're paying high salaries to a bunch of players that doesn't have the skillset to get the team into the playoffs.

Bad management through and through.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:21 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownquestionbro View Post
All gm's should try to lose according to HF. God forbid that you give your fans something to cheer about.
Well tbh would you rather see a team overpay for players to make a playoff push and never reach the playoffs. Therefore not getting top 10 picks and not getting stud prospects.

Or would you tank for a few season, get some spectacular players and even when you lose put up some nice plays. And in the future when you've tanked enough you'll have a great team or you'll have some real good tradechips to get some great proven players to your team.

The choice is yours.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:23 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
We are done here.

Closed Thread