Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Thread: Yotes @ Bruins l 11/30/03 l 7 ET l NESN

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Drury77

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
well that blows.........

at least we didn't lose........not that we shoulda been in OT to begin with........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old
11-30-2003, 05:57 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

The worst thing about this OT tie is that the Leafs are now 1 pt up on us and I have toface that tomorrow at work.....

Man, I hope they can bounce back with a few wins at home. They have to improve the home record in order to do anything substantial this year.

Come on B's

Old
11-30-2003, 05:58 PM
supernova

Two questions. How do you not score on a full 2 man advantage?

Why the huge difference in the ice time between Jillson & Gill compared to Boynton & ODonnell? The Boynton OD duo have had their fair share of hiccups the last few games, and get rewarded with more ice time? Is Gill the thrill & Jillson really that bad?

Old
11-30-2003, 06:00 PM
neelynugs

i think sullivan needs to shake things up a little bit. throwing a guy like zinovjev on the ice for OT would be a good place to start. the guy has such skill and skating ability, and would thrive in a 4 on 4 environment. but alas, we have travis green on the ice yes, green played a good game tonight, but i don't think it warranted OT time.
i think the team is starting to believe that they're gonna blow the game towards the end. luckily we didn't lose this one in OT, b/c i fully believe that psychologically, it would make things even worse (i just agreed with kluzak though, so maybe i need MY head checked ). potvin makes some huge saves in the 3rd, and then he makes a head shaking play on the doan goal. the cat certainly comes with a disclaimer- take some dramamine while watching his roller coaster performance. tough back-to-back coming up- atlanta and toronto. maybe this is what the team needs to bounce back...i just don't know

Old
11-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkmedia
What I hate most about Travis is that he was a leaf.... but I do like that the real Don Cherry likes em.... in fact, I think our Don Cherry likes em too!
Yeah, he's one of my favorite Bs. He hits, wins faceoffs, goes fearlessly into the corners, agitates and scores the odd goal such as he did tonight. He's a proven vet who does a lot of things to help you win. What's not to like about him?
Also, I noticed that when Eric Freid interviewed himduring the intermission tonight when he said "thanks, Travis" Travis responded with "thanks for having me on". This may not seem like a big deal, but I notice and appreciate such things.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Don Cherry*

[QUOTE=TJF]Man is Kluzak on crack or what, he was talking about Brian Savage and how Phoenix aquired him from the canadians in exchange for Sergei Berezin a few years ago and than goes on to say that the Canadians have won that trade. First of all, Berezin only ended up playing like 30 games in his career in a canadians uniform before he was let go and secondly Berezin isn't even playing in the NHL anymore while Savage still is and is a decent player.

I noticed that, too. The only dumber thing he said recently was the other day when he said that Zamuner/Grosek/McCarthy "like to mix things up". (SNICKER!)

Old
11-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
Okay a few things about tonight and recent games.
1. Moran has been really solid! When hr arrived last year Pen fans could only ***** about this guy. I really like the way he plays. Simple and tough! (note to gill/ Boyton watch this guy!)
2. This team is really playing kitty by the door in the dieing minutes! The icing tonight to give the faceoff to tie the game was a complete panic play.
3. Zamuner does not bring enough to the game to warrent Zino playing on the 4th line instead of Robbie!
4. I too thought felix way under played the shot until i saw the replay a few times and realized he thought that Mara was shooting and when the traffic came in front and the pass went to Doan he didn't realize it in time enough to move.
4. Kulzak just might the stupidest man who's name is not Homer Simpson!
5. I just don't want to suck like last year!

Old
11-30-2003, 06:36 PM
TheBigBadB

ugh...more and more like last year...defense looks awfully shaky and I think one of them needs to sit and let kutlak play just to mix things up..but this is eerily similar to last year...and again the goaltending of Potvin is exactly like last year...Grahame use to make a huge save and have a great game only to let up one stinker that either cost them the game or gave the other team a point..man, what was he thinking on that last goal??? But he did make some great saves, but again its what happened that gives him the black mark..he should have saved that, and then he wouldnt have to make great saves in OT...

Again, Zino is being under utilized...he has skill..yet i believe the only reason he is up with the Bruins is the fact that he will go back to Siberia if he is sent down...Sully doesnt like him..its evident..he had a great game last game and when Axe was ready he didnt hesitate to sit Zino again...meanwhile Zamuer gets a free ticket when he has done jack..and dont say he is there for penalty killing cause he doesnt even do that anymore (with exception when Axe is hurt)..they use Axe Rolly and Thornton Murray (which I hate this)...

This team needs to show some more passion through an entire game..rather than in spurts...Nash was nailing and creating problems all night..someone should have stomped on him...and then Mccarthy backing away from Naz...thats just ugly...they needed life and Mccarthy could have pounded Naz to spark the team, but he didnt...Also has anyone else notice that Sully is starting to not put the fourth line out at all anymore..I think he is starting to panic as a coach..and i guess thats why we see thornton and Muray on penalty kills now...I think he lost confidence in the team, and thier starting to lose their own confidence because of this...this is exactly what Ftorek did last year...how they snap out of this.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
ugh...more and more like last year...defense looks awfully shaky and I think one of them needs to sit and let kutlak play just to mix things up..but this is eerily similar to last year...and again the goaltending of Potvin is exactly like last year...Grahame use to make a huge save and have a great game only to let up one stinker that either cost them the game or gave the other team a point..man, what was he thinking on that last goal??? But he did make some great saves, but again its what happened that gives him the black mark...
Tough crowd tonight.

My view is that Paul Mara deserves a lot of credit for faking the shot that Potvin had to respect. If he just passes it over to Doan, then Potvin likely doesn't bite and is in position to make the stop.

Instead of taking the "what was Potvin thinking" approach, I tend to look at it as:
1. A great play by Sillinger to win the faceoff cleanly from Joe Thornton.
2. A great play by Mara to step in from the blue line and make Potvin react before sliding a perfect pass to Doan.
3. A perfect shot from Doan- to the open short side- keeping it just out of Potvin's reach, who almost still got over to make the save.

Not trying to be a Potvin apologist per se guys, but I'm not sure I agree with the thoughts of a few who feel he blew the play entirely. I've seen a lot worse given up, and while the goal was frustrating, I'm not sure that anyone else wouldn't have done the same thing. The most important thing here is the three Coyotes involved in the goal all executed their responsibilities perfectly...it was a textbook play with Burke pulled for the extra skater. Give them credit- instead of putting it all at the feet of the Boston goalie.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:45 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
Tough crowd tonight.

My view is that Paul Mara deserves a lot of credit for faking the shot that Potvin had to respect. If he just passes it over to Doan, then Potvin likely doesn't bite and is in position to make the stop.

Instead of taking the "what was Potvin thinking" approach, I tend to look at it as:
2. A great play by Mara to step in from the blue line and make Potvin react before sliding a perfect pass to Doan.
3. A perfect shot from Doan- to the open short side- keeping it just out of Potvin's reach, who almost still got over to make the save.

Not trying to be a Potvin apologist per se guys, but I'm not sure I agree with the thoughts of a few who seem to think he blew the play entirely. The three Coyotes involved in the goal all executed their responsibilities perfectly...it was a textbook play with Burke pulled for the extra skater.
i think it was a combination- poor read by potvin, good play by those 3 phoenix players. anyway you slice it, it sucks. we really needed a win tonight, and to give up those 3 goals in that fashion (all basically in the last minute of each period) is very ugly. hopefully things will turn around vs. atlanta

Old
11-30-2003, 06:48 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
Tough crowd tonight.

Not trying to be a Potvin apologist per se guys, but I'm not sure I agree with the thoughts of a few who seem to think he blew the play entirely. The three Coyotes involved in the goal all executed their responsibilities perfectly...it was a textbook play with Burke pulled for the extra skater.
I have to disagree here..that play happens at least 10 times a game..a nice faceoff win and then d to d for the shot..it happens alot...Potvin lost sight of the puck and by the time he picked it up..it was already coming towards the net...and the second goal was again relying on his reflexes and it burned him again...this is what happens to a goalie like Potvin that doesnt see the puck that often so he doesnt get into a grove and his reflexes go lax...thats why he is so much better when he sees alot of rubber rather than an odd shot here or there...

Old
11-30-2003, 06:49 PM
DBL

A guy who loves to stay inside the net finds himself totally out of the net for the game tying goal. That's the only thing that pisses me off, he did something he usually never does and it cost the team a point. It probably wouldn't hurt that much if Raycroft did it cause that's more his style, but Potvin doesn't do that, why try it then? I mean the guy wasn't even on the blue ice. But that's fine, even though this game feels like a loss a tie is better than a OT loss at least and they should build on it for next game.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:28 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I had to leave with 4 minutes left so I never saw the last goal. The Broons will get ripped for not winning but they played pretty well. I thought the effort was there. The killer was the 5 on 3. It was odd he had 5 forwards out and no Jillson or McGillis. No goalie screeners- Knuble or Lapointe; and no plan- either cycle like the Russians to open things up or blast the damn puck and go for rebounds over a tired defense. Horrible- that right there was it.

I watched the refs and can say they were pretty good BUT they missed several calls again on the Yotes but not your usual clutching and grabbing more cheap shots and one head grab on Samsonov that was very reminiscent of the hit on Faulk late today that caused a fumble. No Call. I can't blame the officials though because it would have ended 10 to 1 in power plays. The Bruins were very disciplined and they must have had that on the chalkboard. I really was hoping to come here and say 'geez, the Bruins got away with a bunch of stuff and the Yotes got screwed' and asked my buddy to feel free to discuss penalties or infractions I point out. I don't believe it had much to do with the game as the Broons had many, many chances to go 2 or 3 up and send these dessert dogs home but they didn't get it done. That said- they tried and I don't think for one second they sat back. They kept playing and thats all you ask.

EFFORT- B
REFEREES-B

KEY PLAYERS

Bergeron was unbelievable- Cal Hulse hit him in the first and Bergeron barely moved and Hulse went 'thataway' and he knew it. Nash got smoked by Bergeron in the third. Bergeron certainly doesn't appear small anymore either. I used to question if he was 6 feet, now I wonder if he's not even a bit taller. He made some great plays tonight and although got 'only' third star he was easily the best player out there. I swear he's better than Thornton and thats no knock. I'll say this again, this guy is going to be a star and maybe a Super Star. I've been going to games since 1966 and other than Orr no one has impressed me this quick. He's also better in person- incredible. My one complaint is why wasn't he on the ice with Samsonov in OT. Samsonov was flying all night and actually shot a few times.

McGillis- steady as they come. I watched him quite a bit and geez, he is so much better than I thought. He is really playing well all over the ice. He should have been on the ice on the 5 on 3.

Nash- this guy is a real pain in the ass and got rocked a couple of times and was wincing- not sure if he has a bad right shoulder but I wouldn't be suprised. He did make a great play on the second goal and I can't decide if I like him or loathe him?

I'll take the point because when you give up 3 goals in the last minute fo three periods and go oh-fah on a 5 on 3 for 2 full minutes and get something that is amazing. Still, you have to beat these teams and they didn't.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:20 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
Nash- this guy is a real pain in the ass and got rocked a couple of times and was wincing- not sure if he has a bad right shoulder but I wouldn't be suprised. He did make a great play on the second goal and I can't decide if I like him or loathe him?that is amazing.

I hate Nash but I'd definitely want a player like him or a Sean Avery or a Matthew Barnaby or a Darcy Tucker type player on the Bruins. They just make the game so much more interesting. Pests are underrated, Travis Green is probably the closest thing we have to one on the Bruins (must have picked up of few things from Tucker) but he's nowhere near the level of those 4. There the types of guys you'd love to have on your team but hate to play against, that's one of the greatest compliments a hockey player can get.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:32 PM
misterjaggers

The Bruins should score on a two minute two man advantage. I wish that Sully would consider calling a time out next time to do a little Xs and Os before haphazardly throwing out five forwards with no apparent strategy -hell, there was no traffic in front of the net!

Old
11-30-2003, 09:42 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
The Bruins should score on a two minute two man advantage. I wish that Sully would consider calling a time out next time to do a little Xs and Os before haphazardly throwing out five forwards with no apparent strategy -hell, there was no traffic in front of the net!

Yeah no kidding, don't get me wrong I like Bergeron as much as the next guy but I was suprised to see him on the point during that power play. Either put Jillson or McGillis there or put Knuble or Lapointe in there to stand in front of Burke.

Old
12-01-2003, 04:12 AM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Again this is where I think Sully is starting to panic...I mean come on..he tried to throw out all the best players he had on the ice regardless if they know a position or not...Berg looked lost at the point and he and Rolly got caught up a few times...again showing no faith in the rest of the players on the team..Sometimes you need the Lapointes that just take a beaten infront of the net to screen the goalie..there was no one near the net on the 5 on 3....Sully is starting to panic..but its the sign of a rookie coach that hates to lose..which is good..but he has to come up with a better plan than put Joe and Murray on the ice for ALL situations..

Old
12-01-2003, 06:11 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Man is Kluzak on crack or what, he was talking about Brian Savage and how Phoenix aquired him from the canadians in exchange for Sergei Berezin a few years ago and than goes on to say that the Canadians have won that trade. First of all, Berezin only ended up playing like 30 games in his career in a canadians uniform before he was let go and secondly Berezin isn't even playing in the NHL anymore while Savage still is and is a decent player.

I think Dave Shea is starting to rub off on Kluzak.
I wouldnt really call Savage a decent player. He starts off hot every year and then completely fizzles by Christmas. He makes like 3m a year. Not trying to defend Kluzak, but having a player like Savage on a cash strapped team like Phoenix....well maybe Montreal did win the deal

Old
12-01-2003, 06:15 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
Again this is where I think Sully is starting to panic...I mean come on..he tried to throw out all the best players he had on the ice regardless if they know a position or not...Berg looked lost at the point and he and Rolly got caught up a few times...again showing no faith in the rest of the players on the team..Sometimes you need the Lapointes that just take a beaten infront of the net to screen the goalie..there was no one near the net on the 5 on 3....Sully is starting to panic..but its the sign of a rookie coach that hates to lose..which is good..but he has to come up with a better plan than put Joe and Murray on the ice for ALL situations..
I dont disagree that it was probably a bad idea to put that PP combo out there, but it isnt like they didnt get their chances. Burke made some big saves. I wouldnt call what he did panic, I would call it putting his best players on the ice to try to bury the Yotes.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:05 AM
Jeff from Maine

Interesting Game

Very interesting game...

1. Sullys decisions on who got ice and speculation as to why some lost ice.

2. Potvin in goal. One awful goal was scored on him. Made many saves that kept us in the game...the OT winner was a cluster bleep from the get go. As Kirk said, Mara made a very nice play before sliding the puck over to Doan. Only thing that I saw that wasnt mentioned was th great SCREEN that O`Donnell set on Potvin as the shot was taken. I have to believe that had O`D not screened him, that shot is stopped.

3. Bergeron. The kid may have played his best game of the season. excellent night for him.

4. Defense. Continues to breakdown at inopportune moments. The thing that painned me tonight was the lack of EFFORT on a few stretches. It was almost as if they didnt care enough to bust their ***** back in transition. Much of it has to do with the fact that our defense is still pretty immobile...Gill and O`D are pylons. Boynton, Jillson and McGillis can fly....but all 3 make the biggest brain fart moves too frequently. Moran? Well, he is what he is...a #7 playing as a #6.

Later

Closed Thread