HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trip to Pittsburgh

Old
07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
cold topping = do. not. want.

Mineos is the best pizza in town if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post

I'll say Fiori's for best pizza, Mineos is top notch though. I love Beto's too as someone else mentioned, it's very unique. You're either going to love it or hate it.

Fat Head's is where I always take visitors from out of down, 40 taps and one of the biggest "bar food" menus you'll see anywhere. Get the Chicken Little Headwich if you're looking for something unhealthy/delicious. I'll go on the record and say I was very underwhelmed with Tessaro's, I'd rather have a burger at Fat Heads, BRGR, Burgatory, Winghart's, Red Robin or 5 Guys. Maybe I had a bad experience however...
Yeah.. Beto's is a love/hate pizza. I know Travis loved it and all... but most people are either rating it 10/10 or 1/10. There is rarely a medium score.

You can't go wrong with Mineos or Fiori's, either. I don't care for sweet sauce,but I'd be lying if I said Fiori's was not a top-notch pizza.

My top 5 (all top tier pizzas/favorites in Pittsburgh)
- Betos
- Osso's (Washington county)
- Fiori's
- Mineo's
- Campiti's

And Dock is 10000000% correct about Fat Heads. Their burger is ****ing awesome. I actually think Tessaro's is extremely overrated, too. It's a very average burger with a terrible bun and God awful side. Burger/fries is my favorite meal so I try a burger from just about anywhere. My top 3 of all time are Burger Bar (Vegas), Fat Heads, and Bob's Diner (Kennedy township right by the Giant Eagle).

Dock.. if you haven't had a burger on mancini's bread from Bob's, I'd highly suggest you get one. Extremely good burger. The reason I rank it so high is because it's on my favorite bread, too.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:48 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Never knew that. I'm usually in the outfield in left field. I'll keep this in mind for my next attended Bucs game
Word of warning, their sandwich's pale in comparison to the actual locations due to lack of meat and the slaw never tastes right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
And Dock is 10000000% correct about Fat Heads. Their burger is ****ing awesome. I actually think Tessaro's is extremely overrated, too. It's a very average burger with a terrible bun and God awful side. Burger/fries is my favorite meal so I try a burger from just about anywhere. My top 3 of all time are Burger Bar (Vegas), Fat Heads, and Bob's Diner (Kennedy township right by the Giant Eagle).

Dock.. if you haven't had a burger on mancini's bread from Bob's, I'd highly suggest you get one. Extremely good burger. The reason I rank it so high is because it's on my favorite bread, too.
A Rene Fat Head's burger is so good my mouth is watering thinking about it. May have to try out this Bob's you speak highly of. There is a place right on the main road going to Nemacolin that has some of the best "diner" (thin patty) burgers I've ever had. I'll do some research and report back.

UPDATE: It's right near Braddock's Grave on Rt 40, it's called Braddock Inn. It doesn't look like much but you won't be disappointed if you're in the area.

Last edited by DockEllisExperience: 07-06-2012 at 01:58 PM.
DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:05 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Wait...Oakmont Bakery! You HAVE to go there.
I used to live a couple of blocks away from there. Walking home from the Oakmont Tavern after 2am and smelling them already baking donuts was killer

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
LarryNJ

I also think Primanti's is over rated. It's good at 2:30 am when you're drunk though.

Being an old timer to me a trip to Pittsburgh is not complete without visiting a few local dive bars. That is what the city was all about for many years. Try the Lawrenceville area, maybe New Amsterdams and get a fried jumbo sandwich. That is more Pgh. than Primanti's, it's something we all grew up eating at home. Our mothers never put fries and slaw on a sandwich they made us.

Another cool place is the Hofbräuhaus on the Southside. Although not Pittsburgh it's very close to the original in Munich and there are only 3 I believe in the US. Great time in a German beer garden atmosphere. Don't miss it if you like beer.

It's a great city, have fun!

LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
ZeroHero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
Another cool place is the Hofbräuhaus on the Southside. Although not Pittsburgh it's very close to the original in Munich and there are only 3 I believe in the US. Great time in a German beer garden atmosphere. Don't miss it if you like beer.

+1

I was there last month on a Saturday and the place was crazy.

ZeroHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
I also think Primanti's is over rated. It's good at 2:30 am when you're drunk though.

Being an old timer to me a trip to Pittsburgh is not complete without visiting a few local dive bars. That is what the city was all about for many years. Try the Lawrenceville area, maybe New Amsterdams and get a fried jumbo sandwich. That is more Pgh. than Primanti's, it's something we all grew up eating at home. Our mothers never put fries and slaw on a sandwich they made us.

Good to hear. I saw it when I went to the Penguins pond. Looked awesome and I'll be there next week.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Another vote for Fatheads. Their Atomic pork sandwhich (without the atomic hot sauce) is without a doubt the best sandwich I've ever eaten in my life, AINEC. Big enough to last 2 meals to boot. Don't go there on a weekend or else you'll wait an hour in line.

As for Pizza, my favorite is Napoli in Squirrel Hill, about a block up from the aforementioned Mineo's. Also, Voccelli Pizza has some amazing pizza as well, even if it is a chain.

And yes, Hoffbrauhouse is a must.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Carhops is gone in Dormont FYI. Peppi's is great, the Phantom is the wich to get there.
No ****. Haven't been over there in probably 2 years.

I'm from North Hills, so my treks to South Hills are very infrequent now that I'm not in school.

I'm a true Pittsburgher. Put me in the South Hills, you may as well put me in the south of France.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
pensfansince88

food:

if @ downtown or south side i'd eat @ mike & tony's gyros and fries
if @ oakland i would go to uncle sams subs as my first choice
gotta go to primanti's somewhere in town as well
pizza i like betos and mineos the best
also cant go wrong just getting a super burger at some eat n park in the area

pensfansince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Pizza is so subjective though.

Neapolitan? Il Pizzaolo in Mt. Lebanon or Piccolo Forno in Lawrenceville
Sicilian? Angelo's in Bloomfield, DeMino's in Brookline, Pizza Shack on 51 in Brentwood
Cold Squares? Police Station Pizza in Ambridge destroys Beto's and Decarlo's.
Odd ones? Wooley Bully's in New Brighton chipped ham bbq or Italian hoagie pizzas, or Bishop's steak pizza I never liked Mineo's or Aiello's. The Vincent's in Irwin and Greentree aren't the same as the old one right?

The guy's coming from Toronto. Think of stuff we have that he might not.

Chipped ham sammich
Primantis
Fat Heads
Cold pizzaSP is best, but Beto's will do
Steak/chicken salad
Fish sammich

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post

I'm from North Hills, so my treks to South Hills are very infrequent now that I'm not in school.

I'm a true Pittsburgher. Put me in the South Hills, you may as well put me in the south of France.
I grew up in Southside/Carrick/Mt.Oliver. Going from there to my first apartment in Bloomfield freaked me out, and that was only over one river.

My cousin lives in Hampton, and we'd always invite each other over. Always said "I'm not driving that far", even though it was only maybe 20 min away

Beaver county is even worse. Every town is on 51 or 65. People who live in Beaver Falls hate the arduous journey to Monaca (10 min drive), or Ambridge to Aliquippa (5 min drive)

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:

This is so funny about Pittsburgh, I took my daughter's friend to pick up a car on McKnight Rd (I'm from the South Hills) and I found myself speaking very slowly and loudly hoping to be understood--I'm exaggerating of course but you know what I mean!

On topic, if you must go to Primanti's -- get the capicola, its the definitive PimBros repast IMHO.

Mondello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
Cold Squares? Police Station Pizza in Ambridge destroys Beto's and Decarlo's.
Oh snap, that place is still around? Haven't had that in about 10ish years. Pretty decent if I remember.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
I grew up in Southside/Carrick/Mt.Oliver. Going from there to my first apartment in Bloomfield freaked me out, and that was only over one river.

My cousin lives in Hampton, and we'd always invite each other over. Always said "I'm not driving that far", even though it was only maybe 20 min away

Beaver county is even worse. Every town is on 51 or 65. People who live in Beaver Falls hate the arduous journey to Monaca (10 min drive), or Ambridge to Aliquippa (5 min drive)
There's something very dividing about water.

And I completely forgot about Police Station Pizza in Ambridge. I had it every summer when I was visiting family.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:57 PM
WVP

A lot of the Primanti sandwiches don't work well, IMO. My wife would always get tuna until recently - wtf....and some of their meats aren't that great either. But a capicola and egg, each bite splashed with hot sauce? Does not get any better. I never order anything else. And FYI, new location in Mt. Lebanon just opened...

I've never been to Carhops and it sounds like I never will now. Need to get to Peppi's as well. Fathead's is highly recommended for beers with dinner/lunch - fantastic sandwiches and I love their wings.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:00 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

You guys are right about the dividing lines of the rivers. I grew up in Crafton and my family eventually moved a few miles to Robinson. A year ago I finally struck out on my own and got an apartment "up north" in Bellevue...a lot of the time it feels like a totally different city. Now everything I need is on McKnight Rd and I rarely venture south of the tunnels.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:02 PM
WVP

I hate my life when I have to drive on McKnight Road.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:08 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I've adjusted to it. As long as you stay away from rush hour and know where you need to be it's not so bad.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:50 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
There's something very dividing about water.

And I completely forgot about Police Station Pizza in Ambridge. I had it every summer when I was visiting family.
Great call, JTG. I usually leave this one out because Beaver County is far from what people think of in the city. For locals, great ****ing pizza. Really solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
You guys are right about the dividing lines of the rivers. I grew up in Crafton and my family eventually moved a few miles to Robinson. A year ago I finally struck out on my own and got an apartment "up north" in Bellevue...a lot of the time it feels like a totally different city. Now everything I need is on McKnight Rd and I rarely venture south of the tunnels.
I live in Robinson and refuse to go to the North Hills. I have loved how this city is split. We will all meet downtown, South Side, or Shady Side.... but in no way shape or form will we EVER go to the other side of town.

I had a friend in the North Hills and finding his house was like going to a new country. It was ridiculous. I love the South Hills and would go as far as saying I'd never move to the North Hills. I'd rather move to a new city. It's still amazing how that works.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:28 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I say the same when I have to drive on 51. What a ****in nightmare of a hell hole. At least McKnight is 3 lanes wide

I feel claustrophobic in the South Hills. I don't know if it's just in my head or not, but I feel I have a lot more space in the North Hills.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Jimmy LeRieux
Hated By 29 Fanbases

LOL!!, the dividing lines of the city are like the olde world feudal system. There are still like 40 Mayors protecting their thief-doms of a 1,000 -2,500 people, within a few blocks of each other. I believe this all centers around sporting events, which start at a young age and come to a head at the High School level. My kids will not even date other neighboring school district kids. I am 50, and have never been to Century 3 Mall,,,,,why, I have Ross Park Mall,haha. Come game time, we unite to support our Pro Sports teams, and hatred of all things philly.

Jimmy LeRieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

This thread made me go to Fathead's today. The wait was too long for our group (unless we wanted to sit outside.. and... that wasn't happening). Had a decent burger at Local, but still left me a little disappointed.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Great call, JTG. I usually leave this one out because Beaver County is far from what people think of in the city. For locals, great ****ing pizza. Really solid.

I live in Robinson and refuse to go to the North Hills. I have loved how this city is split. We will all meet downtown, South Side, or Shady Side.... but in no way shape or form will we EVER go to the other side of town.

I had a friend in the North Hills and finding his house was like going to a new country. It was ridiculous. I love the South Hills and would go as far as saying I'd never move to the North Hills. I'd rather move to a new city. It's still amazing how that works.
Grew up in North Hills so obviously, that's where you need to be. South Hills is too crowded in too small a space. I'll give props to Bethel Park, but just not a fan of the South Hills in general. And yes, people here in this town don't cross rivers....ever...

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:47 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensational View Post
LOL!!, the dividing lines of the city are like the olde world feudal system. There are still like 40 Mayors protecting their thief-doms of a 1,000 -2,500 people, within a few blocks of each other. I believe this all centers around sporting events, which start at a young age and come to a head at the High School level. My kids will not even date other neighboring school district kids. I am 50, and have never been to Century 3 Mall,,,,,why, I have Ross Park Mall,haha. Come game time, we unite to support our Pro Sports teams, and hatred of all things philly.
seriously man, you aren't missing anything by not going to Century 3. It's become a ghost town....

Old
07-07-2012, 04:48 PM
edog37

Food is great & all, but would also recommend renting a bike & hitting some of the trails around town. Pretty damn good biking in this area...