Notices

Iginla Extension

Old
07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
So we can all agree that we are praying that Iginla comes out of the gate hot? We also have to pray he likes what he sees! Mind you, if he comes out hot and even then demands a trade we should be in for a king's ransom in any deal! Let's hope there is no lockout to disrupt anyone's training habits.
Well let's not get all black and white. Let's play it by year.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:16 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
It's truly a shame that Calgary's managment has let this go on for that long. Nevertheless, Carolina would probably prefer to help out Calgary more than Columbus because Howson is an idiot and Nash doesn't even want to waive his NMC to come here. My proposal leaves Calgary with some cap issues, perhaps they would like to unload Bouwmeester's contract and take back Larose too?
No we would only be taking an extra 500k we would be fine. I would prefer we never trade him and he retire here but that was a very realistic proposal. Under Feaster we have started to get skill players and skilled rookies but by the time they are ready Iginla will be 38-40 so I don't know what will happen.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch

I understand now. Good luck to those prospects, Dalpe certainly needs a ton of luck on his side as well. I'll take this proposal to the trade boards once we're allowed to post again.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey

vCash: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
1st+Dalpe+Pitkanen+Jokinen?
Replace Pitkanen with McBain and you'd probably have a deal.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I don't think there is a chance that Iggy resigns for anything short of 5 million.

I actually think he'll sign a 2yr deal at 6 million per with a NMC.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

I wouldn't sign him now. I would read the writing on the division bathroom wall and recognize a series of major moves need to take place if the Flames want to be competitive in the division and conference at all over the next decade. Feaster should be a realist, look at what is in the pipeline (a bunch of really good support type players) and start moving what we can for some bluechip prospects. Iginla, Bouwmeester, Cammalleri, Tanguay and whoever else can bring back a bluechip prospect and picks should be moved during this season. Prepare for a quick turnaround by stock piling the best 20-25 year olds you can get, support them with our current prospects, draft well, and then sign some top free agents in three or four years.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
I wouldn't sign him now. I would read the writing on the division bathroom wall and recognize a series of major moves need to take place if the Flames want to be competitive in the division and conference at all over the next decade. Feaster should be a realist, look at what is in the pipeline (a bunch of really good support type players) and start moving what we can for some bluechip prospects. Iginla, Bouwmeester, Cammalleri, Tanguay and whoever else can bring back a bluechip prospect and picks should be moved during this season. Prepare for a quick turnaround by stock piling the best 20-25 year olds you can get, support them with our current prospects, draft well, and then sign some top free agents in three or four years.
Not saying that should or shouldn't be done, but to me Feaster has never said anything of the sort that would give the indication that is the type of rebuild he will be going for. I believe our rebuild will take 5 years (or longer) on its current course but the plan IMO is to remain competitive in the interm. Taking high risk, high reward picks seems to be the blue print for the Flames, but obviously with the additions to our scouting staff to finally get up to par to the other teams in the league, Feaster has lots of confidence is his staffs ability to see and grab quality players thru the draft.

Trading our current top players would definitely accelerate the process, but our ownership does not seem prepared to go that route. On paper, our team is already better than last seasons roster and going by Iginla's words that he thought last years roster was a good team, I cannot see him having the desire to leave Calgary unless we ask him to waive.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Duplicate, please delete.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:43 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Not saying that should or shouldn't be done, but to me Feaster has never said anything of the sort that would give the indication that is the type of rebuild he will be going for. I believe our rebuild will take 5 years (or longer) on its current course but the plan IMO is to remain competitive in the interm. Taking high risk, high reward picks seems to be the blue print for the Flames, but obviously with the additions to our scouting staff to finally get up to par to the other teams in the league, Feaster has lots of confidence is his staffs ability to see and grab quality players thru the draft.

Trading our current top players would definitely accelerate the process, but our ownership does not seem prepared to go that route. On paper, our team is already better than last seasons roster and going by Iginla's words that he thought last years roster was a good team, I cannot see him having the desire to leave Calgary unless we ask him to waive.
I say less. I say two years just based on our contract situation. I believe a rebuild doesn't HAVE to be trading away all core players. Look at us now... we're much, much younger than we were last year. Our prospect pool, drafting and scouting isn't the laughing stock of the league, and in fact, has proven to be very saavy considering we've remained competitive. All the while we've respected the players that help build this franchise over the years by keeping them a part of the community instead of selfishly kicking them to curve at the hopes of a cup sooner than later. We've been able to lure free agents to perpetuate the motions. We're deep down the wing and in goal, and we're sufficient on defense but lack down the middle.

These are not the marks of a failing organization, and no matter how bad people critizes us for not blowing it up, the players on the ice and around the league are not critizing us. And that's all that counts in this business.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:39 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Do u think he re-signs?

I sure hope so, and I think he will.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
It's up to Iginla, not the Calgary Flames. Iginla has said he will take a wait-and-see attitude about an extension and see how the team looks, and how its doing. This could be the reason for the signings of veterans at almost every position on the roster, to give Iginla the impression the Flames believe they can compete. All said and done it is all on Iginla. If he comes out of the gate slowly again, the Flames will likely rack up the losses. Iginla will see the Flames can't compete and will demand a trade at that point. On the other side of the coin, if Iginla comes out hot and the team is winning it might give him incentive to sign an extension. Again, it's all on Iginla and his performance, and the Calgary Flames will have little say in which way that goes.
Sounds about right, and entirely fair. We all want Iginla to win the cup, and if that means he has to go to another team (as long as it's not Vancouver), then so be it.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:11 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I don't think there is a chance that Iggy resigns for anything short of 5 million.

I actually think he'll sign a 2yr deal at 6 million per with a NMC.
I think this also.

No way he takes less than 5m. Look at guys like Zetterberg that have contracts into their 40 with similiar cap hit. You're not going to ask your captain to take something like 3.5, that'd be an insult lol.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote