HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Lineup thread (post FA period)

Old
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Malakhov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I dont see Gomez at all in our lineup unless he gets moved to a wing, he has no place on the 3rd or 4th line, it's pretty ridiculous.

Especially when Bergevin told the press that Gallagher had a chance to crack the lineup. Unless he trades someone like Bourque and burries Gomez in the minors but I doubt it. I'd give Bourque a chance with Michel Therrien as the coach, he's a big body and if he wakes up we're in business.

I'd get rid of Gomez and try something like this

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Gallagher (if he has a strong camp)
Prust - White - Armstrong

Then readjust from there if Bourque is useless and Gallagher performs, he gets promoted to second line.
Not an all star lineup but the bottoms lines are gritty, even though Gallagher is small he plays like a bulldog.

Last edited by Malakhov: 07-05-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:33 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Brunette/Huselius/Mueller-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Eller-Gomez
Moen-White-Prust
Armstrong
Nokelainin
Geoffrion

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Bouillion
Diaz
Weber

I still think we need another top 6 winger, Bourque is more cut out for the third line. I could see Gomez having some success (ie. 30-40 points) in the role I have him pegged in.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
So if Gomez is useless in today's NHL, what does that make Bourque???

BTW, it is Gomez' contract that is the problem. If he were making $2 mill & playing the third line, he wouldn't even close to being the most targeted Hab, by fans & media.
Maybe not, but he DOES have that contract, and he DIDN'T play well enough to usurp 3rd (or even 4th) centre duties from Eller (and Nokes), and in fact the Habs had to move him to the wing just to find some way to shoehorn him in there somewhere and get some labour for their investment - and that didn't work either. At least Bourque is a winger, who is also physically built for the role of gritty winger. Should prove easier to motivate an uninterested/unengaged Bourque than somehow make Gomez good enough to compete in the NHL these days.

I really, really didn't like the Bourque acquisition, but now that he IS here, I'm more inclined to include him in my lineup brainstorms than Gomez.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Brunette/Huselius/Mueller-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Eller-Gomez
Moen-White-Prust
Armstrong
Nokelainin
Geoffrion

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Bouillion
Diaz
Weber

I still think we need another top 6 winger, Bourque is more cut out for the third line. I could see Gomez having some success (ie. 30-40 points) in the role I have him pegged in.
Armstrong will not be out of the lineup, I'm pretty confident he will bounce back from his injuries this season and will be pretty entertaining to watch.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Maybe not, but he DOES have that contract, and he DIDN'T play well enough to usurp 3rd (or even 4th) centre duties from Eller (and Nokes), and in fact the Habs had to move him to the wing just to find some way to shoehorn him in there somewhere and get some labour for their investment - and that didn't work either. At least Bourque is a winger, who is also physically built for the role of gritty winger. Should prove easier to motivate an uninterested/unengaged Bourque than somehow make Gomez good enough to compete in the NHL these days.

I really, really didn't like the Bourque acquisition, but now that he IS here, I'm more inclined to include him in my lineup brainstorms than Gomez.
Even though you agree that Gomez' effort is better than that of Bourque's, you would play Rene over Scott??? That is the wrong message to send to any dressing room.

BTW, if it were my choice, neither would ever wear a Habs jersey again.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:39 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
I tried to post what I think we will see on average over the season. I have a bad sense that Armstrong will struggle with injuries again

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Malakhov

People are being unfair with Bourque. He had a 21 goals season in 08/09 in 58 games, then two seasons of 27 goals. Last season he was pretty useless but there's a chance he bounces back unlike Gomez, he's done, he had his chance last season.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
People are being unfair with Bourque. He had a 21 goals season in 08/09 in 58 games, then two seasons of 27 goals. Last season he was pretty useless but there's a chance he bounces back unlike Gomez, he's done, he had his chance last season.
And 18 goals last year in being useless...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Yes, he deserves a chance.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
Even though you agree that Gomez' effort is better than that of Bourque's, you would play Rene over Scott??? That is the wrong message to send to any dressing room.

BTW, if it were my choice, neither would ever wear a Habs jersey again.
First of all, it's not like I'm alluding to consistent effort from Gomez, because that didn't happen either. Sure, he had more hustle, but you could bring anyone up from the AHL and surely they'd hustle. All the hustle means nothing, though, if you don't really have any impact on the game (WOW look at him carry the puck up the ice... until he gets to the blueline... and dumps it off to the boards/corner... and peels off for a change... every time). Without offensive production (which Gomez doesn't seem capable of any more), Gomez is absolutely nothing. The same isn't exactly true of Bourque.

But ultimately the choice I'd make is the same as your own. I would, however, try harder to remove one guy (Gomez) from the equation before the other if forced to choose between them.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Habitant le colon

I see it that way actually

1st Scoring line : Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
2nd Scoring line : Bourque Plekanec Gionta
3rd Checking Line : White Eller Armstrong
4th Shutdown Line : Prust Gomez Moen
Healthy Scrtach :Nokelainen

1st pair : Gorges Subban
2nd pair : Markov Bouillon
3rd pair : Emelin Kaberle
Extra : Diaz Weber

Still the summer to pass, new CBA and probably one or 2 moves ... wonder where ELLER and LEBLANC will be by October !

Habitant le colon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Moen - Eller - Armstrong
Prust - Nokelainen - White

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Moen - Eller - Armstrong
Prust - Nokelainen - White
I like those lines. I just feel bad for Pleks having to play with Bourque and Gionta but it's not like we really have any other options right now.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
5 with the habs ..

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I like those lines. I just feel bad for Pleks having to play with Bourque and Gionta but it's not like we really have any other options right now.
Why sorry for him playing with gio? Gio is a good winger bourque can be good when he wants to ... gallagher put some weight on this year I can see him cracking the lineup out of camp this year

Vi Nc E x13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
Why sorry for him playing with gio? Gio is a good winger bourque can be good when he wants to ... gallagher put some weight on this year I can see him cracking the lineup out of camp this year
You're right. Forget what I wrote. Gionta ain't bad.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

I'm not sure if Therrien is the type to experiment with vets, but Gomez should be tried on the wing simply because there is a logjam of centers who deserve to play at center more than he does. Although I do not believe that experiment will go too well, since top 6 wingers do usually have to score goals to earn their keep...and we all know Gomez has a lousy shot AND is a pass-first guy.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:11 PM
SeriousHabs

After the Eller signing, here is the current lineup. $7.5M remain for Subban, Palushaj and Diaz. If Gomez is buried, the available cap increases to $14.9M.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Travis Moen ($1.850m)
Colby Armstrong ($1.000m) / Ryan White ($0.688m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,672,976; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,527,024

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:17 PM
clownquestionbro*

doesn't look like we are getting rid of gomez, the only upgrade on the wing is probably mueller or kostitsyn that can fit within the cap it seems.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:25 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
5 with the habs ..
new coach, system etc...

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:51 AM
TinordiandSubban

forwards are set

Patches-DD-Gionta-spreads out the scoring and this line worked with Gomez at center.

Bourque-Pleks-Cole-if Bourque puts in the effort could be a second scoring line

Moe-Larry-Curly -three stooges checking line

Prusty-Nookie-Whitey-fun!

Gomez? He's not here.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:14 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Patches-DD-Gionta-spreads out the scoring and this line worked with Gomez at center.

Bourque-Pleks-Cole-if Bourque puts in the effort could be a second scoring line

Moe-Larry-Curly -three stooges checking line

Prusty-Nookie-Whitey-fun!

Gomez? He's not here.
Who replaces Gomez's salary? If I am Molson, there is no way that I send Gomez to the minors if there are no suitable replacements for his cap. I am convinced that Bergevin is not interested in signing an average 2nd liner for more than 2 years, and it is why he passed on Parenteau and why he will pass on Semin.

Gomez is a major problem, but it is a problem with an end in sight. Much like Spacek was, but in that case the decision was to fix the problem by greating an even bigger one. Let's please stop doing that, ok?

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:25 AM
rickthegoon

A few things come to mind before trying to post a lineup for next season
1) we have 6 natural right wingers, but only 2 natural left..Pacioretty and Moen
2) on the right wing, only Cole is a top 2 scoring line forward, maybe Gionta could bounce back, but i'd rather see a bigger, more creative guy on the 2nd line.
3) I can't see Gomez making the team....he would have to outshine Desharnais and Plekanec in training camp and pre-season ( if he's still around ? ), to bump either of these 2 out of their spots, and I can't see it happening. + factor in Therrien's opinion of Gomez before even being named coach and you have a lose-lose situation.
4) with Gomez out of the picture, not being bought out + Subban's and Diaz's contracts which will be combined for what ? Maybe 5 mil$ next season ?, we could potentially have close to 10 mil$ cap space.....
5) with that much cap space, I can imagine Bergevin working real hard to move players to get a legit top 6 left winger, maybe a right winger also.
6) if there is no way he can get his hands on a top 6 winger ( that's a high probability at the beginning of the season), i would like Therrien to give a legitimate shot to Bourque and play him with Cole, see how that works....I think Cole played an enermous part in Pacioretty's come-back this season....not just because of his offensive contribution, but just by his leadership role, his way of handling himself, ......I think that when you see the old beat-up ,bruised guy keep on banging, driving the net, taking a beating..getting up and starting all over again with a grin, that's got to have some kind of positive influence on you. Maybe that's what Bourque needs...at least, it's worth giving it a shot.
7) Now that Bergevin has brought character players known to be effective on the p.k, I expect Plekanec to get some relief from these duties and therefore be more effective on his offensive minutes. So I hope that he gets his spot back as the 1st center and plays with Pacioretty on a regular basis, can/could/should have a great productive season if he stops being given different linemates every other game
8) Don't know what to expect from Eller ????......I love his guts and energy, but he has these brain farts when passing the puck that make me question if he should stay as a center or if he should be converted somehow to a winger, because the guy clearly can shoot the puck. At the beginning of the season should be with Prust and Armstrong on the 3rd line ( again 2 right wingers ???).....should be a fast skating bruising fun line to watch.

So , like I said at the beginning, too many variables right now I think to make a mock lineup, can't wait till training camp

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:16 AM
la25ecoupe

Pax DD Cole
Gomez Plek Gionta
Bourque Eller Armstrong
Moen White Prust

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:55 AM
cguerin

dont think it will happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Pax DD Cole
Gomez Plek Gionta
Bourque Eller Armstrong
Moen White Prust
all of you count the young guns out of the line-up therrien is a coach who like to have rookie in the line up and i think Leblanc is underrated here.

so my line up:
PAX DD Cole
Bourque Plek Leblanc
Gionta Eller Armstrong
Moen White Prust
Nok
please no more Gomez...

cguerin is offline   Reply With Quote