HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McIlrath - Surgery for Dislocated Kneecap

Old
07-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Yeah, I'm not sure I saw him starting on the big club either.

And again, if he's out for six weeks, that puts him back in camp around mid to late August.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
ok i'm a little dramatic. i'm just not happy because i wanted him to make the cut in camp.

i want this kid in the lineup. wasn't crazy about the pick on draft night but i like the type of player he is.
It's not that it was outside of the realm of possibility but IMO he was kind of a longshot to make the team out of training camp. First year pro defensemen rarely do--it can be said that sometimes really early defense picks do but they tend to be the one or two best d-men in the draft and they tend to be picked by weaker teams who tend to hurry them along and sometimes that sets them back--Bogosian, Jack Johnson.

The Rangers can afford the luxury of developing McIlrath at his own pace. The comparison to a Beukeboom type player IMO is a very good one. JB was a 1st round pick himself--though a late 1st round. JB took several years after he was drafted to solidify a spot on the Oilers D and a couple years later was traded to the Rangers where he ran shotgun for Leetch most of the time. An extremely effective player--who combined size, strength and physical nastiness and was a huge body checker. He had a bunch of injuries himself. I think Dylan has a lot of the same qualities. He's also a right D. He still has a lot to learn. Defense is the hardest position to play well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You would prefer that it happened on opening night after he made the team out of training camp? If he was going to have an injury I can't think of a better time to have it...with a couple months off before hockey resumes. If all goes according to plan he shouldn't miss a single game wherever he ends up.
Oh cmon thats just ridiculous. I'd prefer no injury at all.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:45 PM
eco's bones

Anyway even though the Rangers say they expect J. T. Miller to challenge for a spot with the Rangers this year I don't see him making it either. If I were to guess he'll be starting in Hartford.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Barnaby

He'll get healthy. He'll get mega minutes in Hartford and learn from Beukeboom. I wouldn't expect to see him this year, but he could be a mid-late season call up. He will be the snarl on the blue line that has been missing since Beuk or Samuelson...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Petemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
Valadmir Tarsenko looking better and better...jesus what a ****ing WASTE of a draft pick; 10th overall ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
Come on, at least TRY.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Oh cmon thats just ridiculous. I'd prefer no injury at all.
Of course, we all would. But my point was that if he HAD to suffer an injury, the beginning of the off season is as good a time as any to have it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Of course, we all would. But my point was that if he HAD to suffer an injury, the beginning of the off season is as good a time as any to have it.
I think he had to have misread what you posted.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Pizza

No way was Mac making the team out of camp this year. No way he graces Garden ice until he passes muster with Schoenfeld and crew.

The plan was for him to log lots of minutes with the Whale under the careful tutelage of the coaching staff down there. That plan won't change with this latest development.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Dorado*

Everyone a scout , GM and apparently Orthopedist at Hosp for Special Surgery .
He wasn't making the team this year anyway . Still possibility of a late season call up IMO

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Everyone a scout , GM and apparently Orthopedist at Hosp for Special Surgery .
He wasn't making the team this year anyway . Still possibility of a late season call up IMO
This would be a dream come true. McIlrath well seasoned in AHL comes up and makes a McDonagh like impact in his rookie year. He plays great down the stretch and allows us to roll 3 competent defense pairings en route to a Stanley Cup.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:38 PM
mooskating
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
This would be a dream come true. McIlrath well seasoned in AHL comes up and makes a McDonagh like impact in his rookie year. He plays great down the stretch and allows us to roll 3 competent defense pairings en route to a Stanley Cup.
and a healthy sauer

mooskating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
and a healthy sauer
Yeah, but Stralman will have to sit out.

I guess it's a good problem to have.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I understood what you were saying but you know how the internet is, you can never tell what tone someone is using through a message board. Obviously the timing is not awful.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
eco's bones

Staal who is a special player had to go back to juniors for two years after he was drafted before he finally made the team.

Girardi who wasn't drafted by anybody--started out in the ECHL--worked his way up to the Rangers about half to two thirds of the way through his second pro season--which is kind of remarkable.

McDonagh who was hugely regarded in his draft class then went on to play 3 years at Wisconson and spent half a season in the AHL--check out his stats there--not a lot of offense. He's still developing that part of his game.

Del Zotto--went back to junior the season after he was drafted. Made it in 09-10 primarily because of his offensive game. Went back and forth to the minors in 11-12. He was kind of rushed.

Sauer--played two more years in the WHL and two in the AHL and is the most physical of the bunch and has had numerous injuries.

McIlrath is not off schedule for the player that he is. Got to look past where he was drafted and look at the kind of player he is and then project what kind of player he can be. He's not going to be an offensive defenseman like Fowler--but Fowler for all his positives is a soft player. The Rangers drafted McIlrath not only to fill a hole but to fit into a role--a kind of everyday mean, physical defenseman who will keep opponents heads up and on a swivel whenever he's on the ice. That is what Beukeboom did.

I'm not going to lie--when the Rangers called his name I was ****ing shocked. I was thinking like a lot of other people--Fowler, Tarasenko, Gormley. But--and this is a big but--I'm opinionated but I'm not one of those who think I have all the answers and even if I have some doubts still lingering about Slats I have a lot less about Gordie Clark--which isn't to say that he can't blow one--that can happen to anyone but I think Clark is the real deal and I think what he was aiming at and how the Rangers work at getting their prospects prepped to become professional hockey players is first rate. Set aside the Jessiman pick--our drafting the last several years has been pretty good.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Staal who is a special player had to go back to juniors for two years after he was drafted before he finally made the team.

Girardi who wasn't drafted by anybody--started out in the ECHL--worked his way up to the Rangers about half to two thirds of the way through his second pro season--which is kind of remarkable.

McDonagh who was hugely regarded in his draft class then went on to play 3 years at Wisconson and spent half a season in the AHL--check out his stats there--not a lot of offense. He's still developing that part of his game.

Del Zotto--went back to junior the season after he was drafted. Made it in 09-10 primarily because of his offensive game. Went back and forth to the minors in 11-12. He was kind of rushed.

Sauer--played two more years in the WHL and two in the AHL and is the most physical of the bunch and has had numerous injuries.

McIlrath is not off schedule for the player that he is. Got to look past where he was drafted and look at the kind of player he is and then project what kind of player he can be. He's not going to be an offensive defenseman like Fowler--but Fowler for all his positives is a soft player. The Rangers drafted McIlrath not only to fill a hole but to fit into a role--a kind of everyday mean, physical defenseman who will keep opponents heads up and on a swivel whenever he's on the ice. That is what Beukeboom did.

I'm not going to lie--when the Rangers called his name I was ****ing shocked. I was thinking like a lot of other people--Fowler, Tarasenko, Gormley. But--and this is a big but--I'm opinionated but I'm not one of those who think I have all the answers and even if I have some doubts still lingering about Slats I have a lot less about Gordie Clark--which isn't to say that he can't blow one--that can happen to anyone but I think Clark is the real deal and I think what he was aiming at and how the Rangers work at getting their prospects prepped to become professional hockey players is first rate. Set aside the Jessiman pick--our drafting the last several years has been pretty good.
Hopefully that helps some get a better perspective. It's not all about immediate gratification. There's a process that most of these kids have to go through.

And yeah, I was also shocked when Mc was callled. Honestly thought Tarasenko would be the pick there...what little I had seen of Fowler hadn't impressed me. Regardless, he's our guy now and hopefully he turns into a real force over the next couple of years.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I understood what you were saying but you know how the internet is, you can never tell what tone someone is using through a message board. Obviously the timing is not awful.
I hear you. In a perfect world he would never get banged up...but all things considered it could have been a lot worse.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:01 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i'm just not happy because i wanted him to make the cut in camp.
Probably not a very realistic thought

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:10 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Well that's a huge bummer because now he'll be behind everyone in strength and conditioning when Camp starts if he's able to go and if there's no lockout.

Any chance of him starting with the big club are greatly diminished.

Once again, they really need to bring in another DMan. No guarantees Erixon is ready. Sauer most likely misses a big chunk of time, and if one of the guys misses any time, then Bickel is in the top 6 again.

The minor league options are thin (Partlet?) they need more bodies.

Rozi, Brett Clark, or Jurcina are the way to go. I'm really ok with bringing Rozi back. He can play 15-18 minutes a night and maybe Richards works with him well on the PP.

No point in playing McD/Girardi 26-30 minutes again and no point in playing Bickell 5 minutes or less.

Best case is everyone gets healthy and Strahlman and the UFA guy's feelings get hurt and they sit in the pressbox.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:30 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Well that's a huge bummer because now he'll be behind everyone in strength and conditioning when Camp starts if he's able to go and if there's no lockout.

Once again, they really need to bring in another DMan. No guarantees Erixon is ready. Sauer most likely misses a big chunk of time, and if one of the guys misses any time, then Bickel is in the top 6 again.

Rozi, Brett Clark, or Jurcina are the way to go. I'm really ok with bringing Rozi back. He can play 15-18 minutes a night and maybe Richards works with him well on the PP.

No point in playing McD/Girardi 26-30 minutes again and no point in playing Bickell 5 minutes or less.

Best case is everyone gets healthy and Strahlman and the UFA guy's feelings get hurt and they sit in the pressbox.
this is all true but i don't think mcilrath's injury changes much cause it was wishful thinking for him to be ready without ahl time first.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post

PLEASE not him, he is AWFUL defensively. I have watched enough lighting games to know. I would rather have another go with Rosi.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Anyone think Erixon can still play well to at least compete for a starting spot? To help take pressure off Staal Girardi and McD?

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Anyone think Erixon can still play well to at least compete for a starting spot? To help take pressure off Staal Girardi and McD?
absolutely. i may be in the minority, but i thought, other than his strength, Erixon looked very much a good NHLer for most of his short stint(s)....if he bulks up this summer, i think hes a shoe-in for a spot. just my opinion of course.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:53 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I still mourn for Cherneski. I think he would've been a very similar player to Brendan Morrow for us.
Cherneski and Kloucek are my 2 biggest disappointments.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:00 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
absolutely. i may be in the minority, but i thought, other than his strength, Erixon looked very much a good NHLer for most of his short stint(s)....if he bulks up this summer, i think hes a shoe-in for a spot. just my opinion of course.
I agree. I thought he was solid. He wasn't strong enough, but he was good with the puck, and calmer than most defensemen his age.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote