HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Board 2012 Prospect Rankings #12

View Poll Results: Who is #12?
Tim Bozon, LW 46 31.94%
Greg Pateryn, D 0 0%
Darren Dietz, D 15 10.42%
Mark MacMillan, LW 1 0.69%
Daniel Pribyl, C 1 0.69%
Brady Vail, C 3 2.08%
Alexander Avtsin, RW 2 1.39%
Gabriel Dumont, C 1 0.69%
Patrick Holland, C 31 21.53%
Black Geoffrion, LW/C 12 8.33%
Charles Hudon, LW 0 0%
Brendon Nash, D 5 3.47%
Steve Quailer, RW/LW 6 4.17%
Aaron Palushaj, RW 20 13.89%
Joonas Nattinen, C 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 05:15 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Geoffrion

Old
07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
How is a guy who is competing for a spot on the team and has done fairly well in the minors potentially our #13th or worse prospect. Do you guys seriously believe everyone will come and make the team?

Old
07-06-2012, 06:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
How is a guy who is competing for a spot on the team and has done fairly well in the minors potentially our #13th or worse prospect. Do you guys seriously believe everyone will come and make the team?
It shows how deep our prospects pool is.. We have a very strong top 15..

Old
07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

People will have to learn real soon about that Dietz guy.....This guy will surprise a whole lot of people...For me, it's him, it's not even close, and should have gone sooner.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:34 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
If youre talking about Palushaj its because the guy hasnt developed any of his skills. He doesnt stand out in any particular area and you need to in the NHL.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
HCH

I like these polls and the varying opinions but in lots of cases we are almost comparing men to boys. Those prospects who are 22 years and over have had two full years of junior and two years of minor pro or four years of college hockey.

To me those players who have played four years since their draft day should be in an entirely different category of prospects than a guy who was just drafted in the past couple of years. Personally, I would like to see prospects divided into an under 22 yrs. age group and over 22 years age group.

I know that wouldn't be the perfect system either but how do you compare Collberg with Palushaj when one is 4 1/2 years older than the other.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People will have to learn real soon about that Dietz guy.....This guy will surprise a whole lot of people...For me, it's him, it's not even close, and should have gone sooner.
You know I agree.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Not necessarily. But I expect most of the people I vote above him to eventually earn a "bigger role" than he (Palushaj?) has/will (imo) with the Habs - or at least still have the potential to do so, thus still get a higher rating.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:13 PM
HCH

Quote:
This is exactly what I mean about lumping 'young' prospects and 'old' prospects into one category. It's futile. It's like trying to compare Bozon to Quailer or Geoffrion. Where do you even begin.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Mrb1p

Bozonne.

Add freaking Archambault. The kid has the skill. Just needs the will

Old
07-06-2012, 10:14 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
It's not about how close they are to the NHL though, personally I wouldn't look at it that way. I'd look at it more as what do you think each prospect will do in the NHL when they are in their prime, since they are all at various stages in their respective development. Palushaj has seen time in the NHL and could in fact make the team full time (not saying he will, I'm not a big fan of his upside) but how much of an impact will he have in the NHL in his prime vs say Quailer or Bozon or Deitz, etc...

Since he's already played in the NHL and has done well in the AHL, you at least can say he's shown something at the pro level, while the kids that are coming over from the CHL or NCAA it's much harder to guess how they will adjust to the higher level. On the other hand it can also work against a prospect as you see that Palushaj has struggled in the NHL so one could easily discount his future impact in the NHL vs say someone that was just drafted or recently turned pro yet, so they are still all shiny and glossy cause they haven't had a chance to really disappoint at the NHL level yet.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:20 PM

Bozz.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Bullsmith

We're into guys with high upside and low odds or, at best, the opposite.

Add Didier, but boy, it might be getting time to stop adding after that.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:52 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Add Didier, but boy, it might be getting time to stop adding after that.
Didier, Schultz and Colin Sullivan interest me the most from the remaining players on the list to be added. I only saw Sullivan once but will get to see him at least a couple times next year, he's one that could fly under the radar as he's a great skater and is going to a top notch program so they clearly see something in him. Schultz while his mobility/skating is a big concern he showed a lot of improvement from his first pro season, I don't know if he will ever make it but I could see him getting a look this season or next. Didier I like, he's got some nasty to his game and has a big frame that he will likely add to, a long term project but he should be a top 20 prospect imo.

Archambault could be another of interest but I haven't seen much of him.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:00 AM
InglewoodJack

How the mighty have fallen. In previous years, Avtsin, Dumont, Palushaj and Naatinen would have already been up there.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:07 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If youre talking about Palushaj its because the guy hasnt developed any of his skills. He doesnt stand out in any particular area and you need to in the NHL.
It's hard for any player to stand out when all you get at the NHL level is 4th line minutes wtih plugs.

I hope Palushaj is either given some quailty minutes or dealt.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Didier, Schultz and Colin Sullivan interest me the most from the remaining players on the list to be added. I only saw Sullivan once but will get to see him at least a couple times next year, he's one that could fly under the radar as he's a great skater and is going to a top notch program so they clearly see something in him. Schultz while his mobility/skating is a big concern he showed a lot of improvement from his first pro season, I don't know if he will ever make it but I could see him getting a look this season or next. Didier I like, he's got some nasty to his game and has a big frame that he will likely add to, a long term project but he should be a top 20 prospect imo.

Archambault could be another of interest but I haven't seen much of him.
Sullivan annoys me as a project who essentially wasted a year in prep school. Plus when it comes to projects I have an irrational affinity for the Euro picks.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:13 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
How the mighty have fallen. In previous years, Avtsin, Dumont, Palushaj and Naatinen would have already been up there.
Dumont and Naatinen are victims of two good drafts cause they actualy have got better last year and could be the next call-ups.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:30 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I bought into the Avtsin hype hook line and sinker, so it was a really bad call on my part as he was easily one of the worst players in Hamilton last year. But making mistakes breeds experience. I hope he can put it together as he's got the physical tools and natural abilities but just hasn't been able to put it all together whatsoever.

Dumont has been a big disappointment for me, thought he would be more offensive but still love the way the kid plays and while he has struggled to produce offensively in the AHL he brings it every night and is really fiesty out there, always seem to be in the middle of stuff and often caused by him. I never had him ranked very highly that I can recall but perhaps this will be the year he breaks out offensivley in Hamilton and even gets more time in the NHL when injuries hit.

Palushaj is a tough one, I've ranked him high in the past because he was very good at every level he's played before the NHL. I saw him in the USHL, NCAA and AHL and he was a standout player in every league, so you can easily see why he would get ranked high as he was right up with Pacioretty during their first season at Michigan. Pac won the CCHA rookie of the year but Palushaj had just about as good of a season considering he wasn't on the top line like Pac was with the teams top 2 forwards. That said he's been a major disappointment at the NHL level. Perhaps he will turn things around this season but I'm not counting on him being a solid NHLer for us. Would be great to have him back at Hamilton though, he would put up big numbers and help carry a lot of the offense.

I was never a Nattinen fan from watching him at the wjc's, thought he looked slugish and limited offensively, plus everyone I talked to in Finland that watch him play didn't have much good to say about him which confirmed what I saw. But in Hamilton, while he struggled at first, he moved better then I was expecting and while he wasn't as physical as I seemed to recall he'd been at the wjc's, overall I ended up liking him more after getting to see a full season of him in action vs 3 wjc's so not that i've had a better feel for him I do think he's a prospect that should be on the radar at least. I don't know what his future is in the NHL but if he can continue to improve and build off last season, then we might have something of interest since he's got a big frame and some natural skills. I got heat in the past for not ranking him higher and it was rightly so as I should have had him a little higher, still not sold on him by any means but he at least improved his stock with me, even if only by a little. Should be interesting to see what he does this season.

In general though, it's not surprising to see players drop that were drafted a few years back, as the new toys usually become the flavor of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
It's hard for any player to stand out when all you get at the NHL level is 4th line minutes wtih plugs.

I hope Palushaj is either given some quailty minutes or dealt.
I agree it's hard to stand out with the limited minutes he got and linemates, but still he should have shown more imo. I've watched him play at every level and have liked what i've seen at each level except the NHL, so there's still a good chance he turns into a solid NHLer but he can't really seem to do much of anything in the NHL , although he did draw a few penalties by keeping his feet moving which is good to see as he's been in the dog house in the past for not doing that. I'd like to see him back in Hamilton as he'd likely have a huge season with them and take some offensive pressure off the rookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Sullivan annoys me as a project who essentially wasted a year in prep school. Plus when it comes to projects I have an irrational affinity for the Euro picks.
I don't get it since he was playing for perhaps the 2nd best league in the USHS behind only the Minnesota league. The Northeastern prep league has turned out a number of NHLers and the coach for his team Avon is highly regarded. The only problem I have is that now he can opt out of signing with the Habs after his junior year at BC. But in the end, the whole idea of drafting talent at any round should be what's best for their development, not how quick they get there as some kids need more time to progress and get their confidence going. It's hard to say just what the Habs will have in Sullivan but if he turns out to be something decent for us, it won't matter that he spent a year in the USHS instead of going another route like the Q or USHL.

Closed Thread