HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

45 candidates for Toronto's top line centre position...

Old
07-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Spezza is in the "Unlikely" Really? Just the "Unlikely"..? Believe me, if we were to trade him to Toronto, it would start with...errr....uhhh... Who do you guys have that we need? I'm being serious. If we trade Spezza, our biggest need becomes first line center and Leafs have no inciting anything to make us rely on Zibanejad and Turris.

Also, LOL! Why the hell would we want Kadri. He'd be our 3rd/4th best center.
You would be foolish not to think the Senators thought highly of Kadri at some point.

Murray may have no interest in him anymore but I thought it was note-worthy.

As a Toronto fan, I don't see Spezza playing in Toronto anytime soon. If I were the Senators, I'd hang onto him until he decides to leave on his accord, or until a team ponies up a massive offer that plugs some holes.

All that said, you cannot completely rule out the notion that he could be traded if Zibanejad and Turris develop as expected. Maybe not in 2012 but it could happen. Maybe not to Toronto, but the point still stands.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
McDonald, Oshie, and Steen are wingers. They have fit there much better for years. McDonald and Steen might see center duty this year, but Berglund has never played wing. Even at the odd times when he gets a shift with Backes late in the game, Berglund is at center. With as inaccurate as this is, I'm surprised you know he has a good two-way game.
Steen, Oshie and McDonald are natural centres.

I'm not too up-to-date on what is happening in St. Louis but I do know that either one of those three guys can line up down the middle. I apologize if my ignorance offended you.

Thank you for the feedback though.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:36 AM
HooliganX2

Andy MacDonald currently plays left wing on the Blues. The Blues are a playoff team/contender they are not trading someone like MacDonald. Due to his injuries he has low trade value. There is zero chance if we traded him we would get a player back that makes our team better then having him does. I personally see MacDonald signing low risk 1-2 year deals with the Blues until he retires.

Berglund is the Blues #2 center he is not stuck behind anyone except Backes. He simply will not be traded unless a better center is coming back.

Oshie is not a center he has played wing since coming into the NHL.

Backes is the Blues captain, #1 center, great guy in the community, signed to a good contract basically everything you could want in a player.

So you can cross those 4 players off your list.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:37 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post

I'm not too up-to-date on what is happening in St. Louis but I do know that either one of those three guys can line up down the middle. I apologize if my ignorance offended you.

They came into the league as centers and Backes a player that came into the league as a winger plays center over all of them. That should tell you all you need to know.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Lol Ottawa likes Kadri?

You guys still believe that?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:40 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
If they were, why would one of our holes be a center? Oshie didn't even play center in college, he was on a line with Toews. McDonald hasn't played center since Anaheim, and won't go back because of his concussion history. Steen has been thrived at left wing, after he didn't play as well at center in Toronto.

None of those 3 are suited for full-time center duty.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If they were, why would one of our holes be a center? Oshie didn't even play center in college, he was on a line with Toews. McDonald hasn't played center since Anaheim, and won't go back because of his concussion history. Steen has been thrived at left wing, after he didn't play as well at center in Toronto.

None of those 3 are suited for full-time center duty.
Thank you. I'll make the necessary changes.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:44 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:

Oshie has played single digit games at center in the NHL. A whole lot of wingers are centers before getting to the NHL. "Natural" is a useless descriptor. Backes started at wing. Is he not a natural center, then? And what use do we have in describing him either way?

The only reason you'd have is to note that you think a particular guy could capably perform at center again. McDonald and Steen could, and, as I said, might, but they have unarguably been better at wing. Shouldn't that make them "natural wingers?"

Your ignorance doesn't offend me, I'm just curious why you think Berglund is "stuck behind" guys who play wing. It seems like people just go by video game position listings and forget about what actually goes on in the National Hockey League. If you've watched Berglund enough to know he's a good two-way player, it seems to me like you'd know he's the Blues' second-line center and that guys like Steen, McDonald, and Oshie frequently play on his wing, not the other way around. If you're speculating about what players a GM might target, information like that is pretty important.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:51 AM
EmeticDonut

Where you get the idea that Chicago has been shopping Sharp? It's rare that you give someone you've just shopped around a 5-year deal.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:53 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

The NHL is dying to give the Leafs a 1st line centre. All teams want to help out Toronto, and nobody can read normal sized type.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:53 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

If Jokinen doesn't work out for the Jets and we're out of the playoff hunt look for him to be on the block by the trade deadline.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Put Couture in the impossible category and Marleau in unlikely.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
Where you get the idea that Chicago has been shopping Sharp? It's rare that you give someone you've just shopped around a 5-year deal.
I am of the belief that 'where there's smoke, there's fire'. I have no question that post-Stanley Cup victory, they shopped him. In the midst of that flurry that saw the departure of Versteeg, Niemi and Byfuglien.

Though, Sharp is a signicant piece of that organization and they're not going to give him away. I think it would take a very nice hockey trade for Chicago to entertain the thought of moving him.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Oshie has played single digit games at center in the NHL. A whole lot of wingers are centers before getting to the NHL. "Natural" is a useless descriptor. Backes started at wing. Is he not a natural center, then? And what use do we have in describing him either way?

The only reason you'd have is to note that you think a particular guy could capably perform at center again. McDonald and Steen could, and, as I said, might, but they have unarguably been better at wing. Shouldn't that make them "natural wingers?"

Your ignorance doesn't offend me, I'm just curious why you think Berglund is "stuck behind" guys who play wing. It seems like people just go by video game position listings and forget about what actually goes on in the National Hockey League. If you've watched Berglund enough to know he's a good two-way player, it seems to me like you'd know he's the Blues' second-line center and that guys like Steen, McDonald, and Oshie frequently play on his wing, not the other way around. If you're speculating about what players a GM might target, information like that is pretty important.
I made the changes after feedback from St. Louis fans.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:58 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Anyone of them would become instantly over-rated in Toronto

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Though, Sharp is a signicant piece of that organization and they're not going to give him away. I think it would take a very nice hockey trade for Chicago to entertain the thought of moving him.
Anything is possible, but very unlikely. Toronto would have to overpay big time to lure Sharp there(and he would have to waive his NTC that just came into effect July 1st).

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
Draft your own #1C
That's not the way of a rich team which refuses to do a real rebuild.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:03 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
[SIZE="3"][B]
Patrick Marleau (San Jose) - No real reason for the Sharks to move Marleau... unless they make a serious run at Rick Nash. They have about $6.5M left on the cap and Nash is at $7.8M. The Sharks also need to plug some holes and have two very competent #2 centres (Joe Pavelski and Logan Couture).
You make no sense. Making a serious run at Nash means that we have to lose Marleau? Remember how people said Marleau is a dealbreaker in order to add Dany Heatley? How'd that turn out. Secondly, 7.8-6.9 = a mere 900k (actually 1.3mil when subtracting from Cap Space alone) added on the books. Tell me again why Marleau has to be traded just to make up for the 900k difference? Do you know what plugs we even need to fill? 1) We need a top 3C and 2) Better depth wingers (an offensive version of Winnik/power forward type). Our defence is fine thanks to the addition of Stuart and our top-6 is stable, we really only need to add quality depth forwards. Lastly, just because centre is our position of strength doesn't mean we're okay with giving up top players...we're just as fine keeping them.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PAZ

Stastny isn't a possible right now. Maybe next year depending on how the other two play right now, but the other two are too uncertain to trade away Stastny.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
That's not the way of a rich team which refuses to do a real rebuild.
Really? A thread with actual content and information triggers this kind of commentary?

If you have no interest in the 1st line centre situation for Toronto, don't click on the thread. Nobody is asking for players to be handed over to the Maple Leafs. This is to get a general and informed idea of which players could possibly be moved.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
You make no sense. Making a serious run at Nash means that we have to lose Marleau? Remember how people said Marleau is a dealbreaker in order to add Dany Heatley? How'd that turn out. Secondly, 7.8-6.9 = a mere 900k (actually 1.3mil when subtracting from Cap Space alone) added on the books. Tell me again why Marleau has to be traded just to make up for the 900k difference? Do you know what plugs we even need to fill? 1) We need a top 3C and 2) Better depth wingers (an offensive version of Winnik/power forward type). Our defence is fine thanks to the addition of Stuart and our top-6 is stable, we really only need to add quality depth forwards. Lastly, just because centre is our position of strength doesn't mean we're okay with giving up top players...we're just as fine keeping them.
Would it not make sense to have Thornton-Couture-Pavelski down the middle and use Patrick Marleau and his $6.9M to upgrade the wing position? Also worth noting is that Marleau has 2 years on his contract before UFA. He may or may not play out his career in San Jose but at some point the thought of trading him must cross DW's mind... no?

I'm not saying he's on the market and could be had for a discount price, because that's not true.

I'm saying that given the strength down the middle in San Jose, they could move him for help on the wing, blueline and in goal for the future. Whether it comes in the form of active players, prospects or draft picks.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Stastny is walking at the end of his contract? Wow, what would Avs fans do without you to tell us two years in advance we're going to lose him and that makes him a likely trade candidate.

Simple answer is no.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:17 AM
BroadwayHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan18 View Post
Zajac isnt a #1 center
Hes not an elite center, but he could definitely be a teams #1. As a Rangers fan, he is a player I like a lot and if he starts hitting 60 pts a season consistently that would put him at around #20 in points in the NHL for centers.

BroadwayHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Would it not make sense to have Thornton-Couture-Pavelski down the middle and use Patrick Marleau and his $6.9M to upgrade the wing position? Also worth noting is that Marleau has 2 years on his contract before UFA. He may or may not play out his career in San Jose but at some point the thought of trading him must cross DW's mind... no?

I'm not saying he's on the market and could be had for a discount price, because that's not true.

I'm saying that given the strength down the middle in San Jose, they could move him for help on the wing, blueline and in goal for the future. Whether it comes in the form of active players, prospects or draft picks.
Marleau's been running as a wing for awhile now and is pretty good at it too. He's a big body, fast and can score. The Sharks need scoring and speed. So why do they trade Marleau again? And uh, like Thornton, Marleau is gonna retire in teal.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:

Derek Roy (Dallas) - Recently acquired, it's very unlikely the Stars move the only real #1 calibre centre on their roster.
Jamie Benn is miles better than Derek Roy, and I don't know whether to be happy or sad you didn't count him among the 45 best centers.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote