HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philadelphia-Phoenix

Old
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Lol, Whitney was like your entire offense. Vrbata will suffer from the loss of Whitney and the Coyotes don't really have much of a top line after that. Add to the fact that Doan might not be coming back. Also, how many times have we seen a mediocre goaltender have one good season and then go back to mediocrity again after that? I'm not sold on Smith...
Vrbata had a career year with Whitney, but he did put up 56 points for the Yotes long before we had the Wizard. He is streaky, but Vrby knows how to remain productive within the confines of our system.

Sullivan won't match Whitney's even strength production, but he's arguably better on the PP. As long as he maintains his production from last year, I think we'll be okay. Plus we'll have a full year of Vermette (who's certainly capable of 50+ points) and Boedker looks poised to break out. And that's before considering the fact that we have two guys who can really light it up from the blueline (OEL + Yandle).

Although we do need Top 6 forwards, 70+ point guys are a luxury, not a necessity for the Coyotes. As long as the defense and goaltending hold their ends, all we need is timely scoring. And we've been successful at that for some time.

Can Smith repeat his career year? Maybe, maybe not. I don't expect him to post another three consecutive shutout streak en route into a division title, but Smith certainly has the athleticism and, more importantly, the intensity to be a Top 5 netminder. With Z. back, our defense is better than ever, and Smith shouldn't have to bail us out as often as he did when our defense had their brainfart moments (see the 54 save game against the Jackets).

Yes, after three years of being an "overachieving" playoff team, the Yotes can regress to what conventional wisdom expects them to be. But I doubt Tippett and Maloney will have any part in that, not as long as they're around.

All that said, we need Doan to return. But the odds are looking better on that front.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 07-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.
IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

No thanks from Philly.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
If Phoenix is as brutal as I expect them to be next season, then the trade could actually favour Philly. For example, imagine if that first rounder turns out to be 2nd overall. Wouldn't having Seth Jones in the package make it look that much better?
That's a pretty big if, plus there is no way PHX will be a lotto team.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:43 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Lol, Whitney was like your entire offense. Vrbata will suffer from the loss of Whitney and the Coyotes don't really have much of a top line after that. Add to the fact that Doan might not be coming back. Also, how many times have we seen a mediocre goaltender have one good season and then go back to mediocrity again after that? I'm not sold on Smith...
Sean Burke had a lot to do with Bryz improvements/ hand holding and he has made a world of difference for Smith. I expect Smith to be as just good, with Burke's continued guidance, unlike Bryz fall off in Philly, which could use Yandle given their poor defense. Because of their excellent defense and goal tending, the coyotes likely make the playoffs again, not sure about the oilers.

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
the coyotes likely make the playoffs again, not sure about the oilers.
Still not sold that the Coyotes can overachieve for yet another season. Seems like the overachieving streak has to end sooner or later. Oilers don't need to make the playoffs. Tank for MacKinnon!

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
SSoH

Quote:
Still not sold that the Coyotes can overachieve for yet another season. Seems like the overachieving streak has to end sooner or later. Oilers don't need to make the playoffs. Tank for MacKinnon!
Over acheiving for 3 years is called consistency. PHX made the playoffs 3 years in a row because they had an upcoming defence which we now believe is one of the best in the NHL and a very good goaltender who often bailed us out at times being called a product of the system. But then again you are a Oilers fan so i wouldn't really ask your opinion about Defense and Goaltending.

SSoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:13 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
It's far easier to remain a playoff contender when you have a defense and goaltending that aren't swiss cheese. Having all the lottery picks in the world doesn't mean a thing if you can't stop pucks from going in your net. Besides, there's only so many lottery picks you can compile on one team before it comes to contract renewal time.

But good luck with that.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:17 PM
SSoH

Quote:
With your 1st overall pick next year, i would choose a D, but then again why stop your opponent from scoring, that's not the purpose of hockey at all.

SSoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

just make it Briere for Rundblad and this Coyote fan signs off on it.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:15 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
It's far easier to remain a playoff contender when you have a defense and goaltending that aren't swiss cheese. Having all the lottery picks in the world doesn't mean a thing if you can't stop pucks from going in your net. Besides, there's only so many lottery picks you can compile on one team before it comes to contract renewal time.

But good luck with that.
Lol. Yeah, just ask the oilers how it has gone having the 1st oa 3 years in a row but still no goalie or defense to speak of. They will try and sell you on various" great" top pairing dmen they have but then why have they had three straight 1st oa picks???

I'll stick with the very solid defensive style the yotes play and say they are more likely a playoff team next year and teams like the oilers, leafs, and jackets are three of your lottery teams because of their crappy defense. If the yotes were a lottery team next year then I may consider it from a flyers perspective but there is no way I make that trade today banking on that 1st being a too 5 puck.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:18 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
just make it Briere for Rundblad and this Coyote fan signs off on it.
I'd do that but I doubt Briere does

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

Don't see anyway that Holmgren would slightly consider that. Sure Philadelphia's defense is far from great, but Yandle and Rundblad are not that sorely needed to trade their best prospect, a 30 goal scorer, and aruably their most clutch player.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:00 AM
CTU2fan

I would love to do something based around Voracek and Yandle. Obviously the Flyers add in that scenario, but Jake is a fine skater with size and he's a pretty responsible 2-way player which is a must if you want to play for Dave Tippett.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:32 AM
hockeyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I would love to do something based around Voracek and Yandle. Obviously the Flyers add in that scenario, but Jake is a fine skater with size and he's a pretty responsible 2-way player which is a must if you want to play for Dave Tippett.
What about Yandle for Meszaros, Voracek, and Gustaffson, idk if thats enough to get it done from phoenix though

hockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:38 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
What about Yandle for Meszaros, Voracek, and Gustaffson, idk if thats enough to get it done from phoenix though
That does not happen from the Flyers perspective.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:44 AM
hockeyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
That does not happen from the Flyers perspective.
idk i think they're shopping jake and thats why they haven't agreed on a new deal, even though i love the way gus plays, you know what your getting with yandle and he's locked up until 2016 and timmonen is a free agent next year and may retire so yandle could use this year to learn the system and then run the powerplay in the following years

hockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote