HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers sign Darcy Hordichuk (1year/$850k)

Old
07-07-2012, 04:51 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I'd agree that if the Oilers want to get tougher they need to dump the goon mentality and get players that can hit/block and actually score and generally be useful players and not liabilities at even strength.

They need size and skill throughout the lineup and not a "better" or different goon in the 14 spot.

How many of the top teams have true goons and how many used them in the playoffs?

More size and toughness in the lineup is needed but Hordi isn't the answer.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hordichuk by his own accounts was ineffectual in the earlier posted article. While saying his partner in crime flat out gave up.

At least Hordichuk laid out some hits but as far as being an antagonist I already called out that only one example has been cited across a whole season. Whoopee ****. We have Hordichuk, Eager, Sutton, Peckham, for mayhem and we're still team fairy. Maybe if we get a handful more talentless goons...
Meanwhile we make it a point to try and add a guy that can goon it up/play physical and maybe play a regular shift in Moroz and you were all over it like flies on ****? Obviously you see the problem, as do I and Oilers management, however they obviously see that skilled tough guys are hard to find, so they draft this type of asset and you lambaste them?

07-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Meanwhile we make it a point to try and add a guy that can goon it up/play physical and maybe play a regular shift in Moroz and you were all over it like flies on ****? Obviously you see the problem, as do I and Oilers management, however they obviously see that skilled tough guys are hard to find, so they draft this type of asset and you lambaste them?
Good point, I kind of liked it when they went with Moroz. Exactly the type of gritty player the Oil need on the bottom six. Kind of like Eager when Eager plays like Eager

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:24 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Moroz was drafted too early. He may turn out or bust... but there were better picks at #32.

If Moroz turns out to be an Eager type (probably a lot to hope for actually)... well that's a 3rd/4th line type of player the Oilers have obviously acquired so it's not impossible to get them without using what was basically a late 1st.

If he turns out to be a Hordichuk clone... well then you REALLY don't want to be taking that type of player in that spot. Goons are literally a dime a dozen and wasting a high pick on one is silly.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Moroz was drafted too early. He may turn out or bust... but there were better picks at #32.

If Moroz turns out to be an Eager type (probably a lot to hope for actually)... well that's a 3rd/4th line type of player the Oilers have obviously acquired so it's not impossible to get them without using what was basically a late 1st.

If he turns out to be a Hordichuk clone... well then you REALLY don't want to be taking that type of player in that spot. Goons are literally a dime a dozen and wasting a high pick on one is silly.
They obviously think he is more than a goon.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The reason I'm against Moroz is a I see him as another meh talent. I need to see more of him I guess but to this point thats my honest impression. Spending a couple days at the camp last week and including the scrimmages doesn't change my perspective. Several players wowed me, Moroz didn't. On the ice the guy looked like 25 players on the ice were more skilled than he was. The learning curve is going to be severe for this kid and I fear he doesn't have the hands and read speed for the NHL game.
He might be fast on his skates but he doesn't think fast enough. He was a fish out of water which is fair enough at his age but he needs to get a whole lot better. You'd never know he was an early second round pick from watching him. I never thought he was before the pick. This is a middling talent in JR hockey which is a large part of the problem. Its a crapshoot with very poor probability of pay out.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-07-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:44 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Normally a pretty good poster but suggesting that playing Hordichuk and Eager in a 4th line role will help our skill players like Lucic does in Boston is ridiculous.

I didn't say that.

I said ideally you have a player like Lucic. We don't. There is still a need for toughness on the ice when appropriate, but they do have to be used and not stapled to the bench.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The reason I'm against Moroz is a I see him as another meh talent. I need to see more of him I guess but to this point thats my honest impression. Spending a couple days at the camp last week and including the scrimmages doesn't change my perspective. Several players wowed me, Moroz didn't. On the ice the guy looked like 25 players on the ice were more skilled than he was. The learning curve is going to be severe for this kid and I fear he doesn't have the hands and read speed for the NHL game.
He might be fast on his skates but he doesn't think fast enough. He was a fish out of water which is fair enough at his age but he needs to get a whole lot better. You'd never know he was an early second round pick from watching him. I never thought he was before the pick. This is a middling talent in JR hockey which is a large part of the problem. Its a crapshoot with very poor probability of pay out.
I'm not going to say it was the BPA for the Oil in that position but I think we all agree that effective power forwards are not a dime a dozen. I was at dev. camp too and you are right he doesn't stand out from the crowd, he does have good skating ability. And I will give the scouting staff some leeway here though as they watch these guys way more than you or I. I am in full agreement that the Oilers don't need another goon, hopefully he turns out to be more. Hordi is needed at least through this season, I personally would like the Oilers to start displaying some team toughness and stop rolling out the mid/heavyweights for their obligatory bouts...it deters nothing.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:19 PM
ninetynine*

Love it!

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote