HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

45 candidates for Toronto's top line centre position...

Old
07-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter says 'hi'

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:05 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Zach Parise walked away from Lou Lamoriello and the New Jersey Devils.

What makes you think Ryan Getzlaf is so loyal that his name coming up in trade speculation is off limits? Given what Murray is going through with Bobby Ryan and the fact that Justin Schultz just walked away from your organization, I would not be so sure that Getzlaf is completely off limits.

He may not come to Toronto but if the Ducks are out of a playoff chase come January and Getzlaf still has the "impending UFA" title, you can bet that his name will be all over these forums. Same with Corey Perry.

Prepare yourself.
You may want to actually read up on a situation before commentating on it.

The only rumours about Getzlaf are ones made up by daydreaming Leaf fans, or Eklund.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:51 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Very unlikely:

David Krejci/Patrice Bergeron (Boston) - At some point you would expect that Boston will move one of these two players, since they're similar in age and will each command $5.5M+ when they hit UFA status in 2015 and 2016. The Bruins have the option of moving Seguin back to centre, permanently.
Patrice Bergeron has a full NMC and bleeds black and gold. He is not on the table. David Krejci could probably be had in a year or two (has limited NTC which includes a six team no-trade list), Boston isn't hard pressed to trade him though and would require a top-6 winger that is an upgrade over what they already have.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:54 AM
c0rn1

Dear Leaf fans!
How about not trading away your 1st picks for semi-proven players.. Then you'd maybe have a proper #1 center already in form of Seguin. Thinking about your situation and considering the cap I have to say that I Don't see any other way for building up a contending team than staying a couple years at the league floor, _NOT_ trading away your 1st picks and rebuild from within. During that time it would be good to let the prospects get some nhl experience but not too much so they get content with losing.

c0rn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

No way in hell does Boston trade either Krejci or Bergeron to the Leafs.

I believe Bergeron has a NMC and can't be traded anyway, we'll hang onto our Selke winner, thank you.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:13 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
Why are Ottawa fans claiming that their GM is not interested in Kadri?

I'm not a fan of either team but it was absolutely clear that Murray wanted Kadri 110% at the draft and was mad when he didn't get him and had to "settle" for Cowen.

Don't be ignorant Sens fans, it's a fact.

And I hate the Leafs.

A lot.
You have a funny definition for the word "fact". Traditionally those are called "opinions" or "speculation".

Last edited by The King of Town: 07-07-2012 at 06:24 AM.
The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:29 AM
PsychoDad

They could have had Ribeiro and Roy. Both would be big upgrades over Bozak and probably Grabovski too. No idea why Burke passed on them.

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
Where you get the idea that Chicago has been shopping Sharp? It's rare that you give someone you've just shopped around a 5-year deal.
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter say hello

Phaneuffan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Yossarian54

I think the rationale behind Stastny being available as an UFA is... optimistic. I think trade would be more likely if the dead did rise and Duchene unseated in within 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuffan3 View Post
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter say hello
Paul Holmgren: The exception that proves the rule.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Reparlana

vCash: 50
Colorado doesn't need to get rid of Stastny they will pay him at least ~5.5 mill next contract if they don't trade him to bolster there D.

Reparlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post

Paul Holmgren: The exception that proves the rule.
Well played sir

Phaneuffan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Because he just bought a home and has said as much? because his best friend happens to be his linemate? keep pipe dreaming leaf fans
There is no proof he's available, and non that he'll ever be in Toronto, let it die. Besides if playoff teams want to acquire him, then that eliminates the Leafs then huh
Who is his best friend?

Perry?

Same guy who's UFA next July 1st? I really wouldn't be extraordinarily confident in BM keeping both.

Not after what is going on with Ryan and what happened with Schultz.

Houses can be sold, quite easily.

Last edited by Four1 Lead: 07-07-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
You have a funny definition for the word "fact". Traditionally those are called "opinions" or "speculation".

Jared Cowen is a great player but there's no denying that Ottawa was very interested in Kadri.

Fact.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
No way in hell does Boston trade either Krejci or Bergeron to the Leafs.

I believe Bergeron has a NMC and can't be traded anyway, we'll hang onto our Selke winner, thank you.
Did you read what I wrote about Krejci and Bergeron?

Both are very good players and you're lucky to have them.

This isn't about Toronto fans expecting to get either.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Moller

vCash: 1322
As has been stated several times throughout this thread you're going to have to draft a center and groom him yourself.

I don't want to start a flame war here but I am really starting to feel for TML fans despite being an Ottawa fan. How much longer are you guys going to put up with this mediocrity before you start calling for Burke's job?

Season and Finish
2008–09 5th, Northeast Did not qualify
2009–10 5th, Northeast Did not qualify
2010–11 4th, Northeast Did not qualify
2011–12 4th, Northeast Did not qualify

With each passing season not much really changes. You still need a #1C after all these years. Burke seems more like he's trying to play the lottery with your assets by trying to find a star from an unlikely source or by trade rather than using a tried and tested route; the draft. To top it off, it doesn't even look like he attempts to use his draft picks to alleviate the problem.

How many of these guys even remotely fit the criteria for your team's biggest need?

2009 Nazem Kadri C
2010 Greg McKegg C
2010 Sam Carrick C
2010 Josh Nicholls C
2011 Tony Cameranesi C
2012 Dominic Toninato C
2012 Ryan Rupert C

You guys need to start calling for his job and move on to someone who will do it right; not just talk fancy in front of a TV camera.

Moller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Pavelski, Brassard, Johansen, Legwand, Schenn, Couturier, Vermette, Hanzal, Wilson, Weiss, Lecavlier, Oshie, and Ladd.

I would take Zajac before all of these players based on current hockey skill alone but of course when you factor in age, cap hit, etc. its a different story.
lol.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moller View Post
As has been stated several times throughout this thread you're going to have to draft a center and groom him yourself.

I don't want to start a flame war here but I am really starting to feel for TML fans despite being an Ottawa fan. How much longer are you guys going to put up with this mediocrity before you start calling for Burke's job?

Season and Finish
2008–09 5th, Northeast Did not qualify
2009–10 5th, Northeast Did not qualify
2010–11 4th, Northeast Did not qualify
2011–12 4th, Northeast Did not qualify

With each passing season not much really changes. You still need a #1C after all these years. Burke seems more like he's trying to play the lottery with your assets by trying to find a star from an unlikely source or by trade rather than using a tried and tested route; the draft. To top it off, it doesn't even look like he attempts to use his draft picks to alleviate the problem.

How many of these guys even remotely fit the criteria for your team's biggest need?

2009 Nazem Kadri C
2010 Greg McKegg C
2010 Sam Carrick C
2010 Josh Nicholls C
2011 Tony Cameranesi C
2012 Dominic Toninato C
2012 Ryan Rupert C

You guys need to start calling for his job and move on to someone who will do it right; not just talk fancy in front of a TV camera.
We have Nazem Kadri and Joe Colborne at centre. That's it.

But Burke has done a great job in terms of depth on the blue line and in net.

A lack of drafting a #1 centre isn't the issue with him.

I'm content with what he's done so far. Not thrilled, but he's plugged some holes and we haven't had this much depth in decades.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:45 AM
The King of Town

Quote:

Jared Cowen is a great player but there's no denying that Ottawa was very interested in Kadri.

Fact.
I still don't see fact there. I see Burke being mildly rude, and Murray not really saying anything. Unless you were at the Sens draft table, you have no idea either. All we know is that they liked Cowen (obviously), they loved OEL (they talked about him a lot before the draft), and they have since said that Rundblad was in their top 10.

What is fact however is that this was four drafts ago. Do you really think Murray's been asleep all this time and is only now waking up from a slumber, with absolutely no idea of how Kadri has "progressed" since that time?

If we had drafted Kadri, it would have been to fill the second line centre spot. We have since traded for Kyle Turris, who fills that spot much better. We've also since drafted Zibanejad. Why are we trading our #1 centre, one of the best in the league (and one of the league's leading scorers since the lock-out) for a kid who can't stick at centre on a team so desperate they're going to try JVR there?

Put it another way: Do you think Burke would trade Phil Kessel (your best player) for Brayden Schenn today? Burke was caught on camera minutes before your clip throwing a little temper tantrum to Dave Nonis because nobody would trade him the pick to draft Brayden. By your logic, since he wanted him then, he should want him still, right?

Then again that's a poor example, because Spezza is worth more than Kessel (by virtue of being a centre if nothing else), and Schenn is worth more than Kadri (being an important NHL player on a strong playoff team).

Last edited by The King of Town: 07-07-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old
07-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
I still don't see fact there. I see Burke being rude, and Murray not really saying anything. Unless you were at the Sens draft table, you have no idea either. All we know is that they liked Cowen (obviously), they loved OEL (they talked about him a lot before the draft), and they have since said that Rundblad was in their top 10.

What is fact however is that this was four drafts ago. Do you really think Murray's been asleep all this time and is only now waking up from a slumber, with absolutely no idea of how Kadri has "progressed" since that time?

If we had drafted Kadri, it would have been to fill the second line centre spot. We have since traded for Kyle Turris, who fills that spot much better. We've also since drafted Zibanejad. Why are we trading our #1 centre, one of the best in the league (and one of the league's leading scorers since the lock-out) for a kid who can't stick at centre on a team so desperate they're going to try JVR there?

Put it another way: Do you think Burke would trade Phil Kessel (your best player) for Brayden Schenn today? Burke was caught on camera throwing a little temper tantrum to Dave Nonis because nobody would trade him the pick to draft Brayden. By your logic, since he wanted him then, he should want him still, right?
The YouTube clip I posted is Murray going to Burke and pitching a trade idea. That's enough proof to suggest that Murray and his OHL amateur scouts like(d) the style of game Kadri plays on the ice. Yes, he hasn't progressed the way many had hoped or (foolishly) expected. But he is still 21 years old and will get a very good chance at cracking the Toronto Maple Leafs roster when the season begins.

But the idea of getting their hands on Nazem Kadri and developing him themselves must still interest the Senators. Especially now that Kadri has shifted to the wing and can play either position.

It's just a matter of price. Maybe not for Spezza but to deny the fact that if available, Kadri would tempt Ottawa, is ridiculous.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Once you make it past 30, shouldn't you start thinking "hmm, maybe some of these guys aren't number one centers?"

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:02 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
The YouTube clip I posted is Murray going to Burke and pitching a trade idea. That's enough proof to suggest that Murray and his OHL amateur scouts like(d) the style of game Kadri plays on the ice.
That's a huge stretch. Murray never once says Kadri's name, just says "I'll flip you". For all we know he wanted Cowen all along. That's the point. Nobody but Murray and his staff knows. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Hell, maybe he wanted Scott Glennie and was trying to get in front of Dallas.

Quote:
Yes, he hasn't progressed the way many had hoped or (foolishly) expected. But he is still 21 years old and will get a very good chance at cracking the Toronto Maple Leafs roster when the season begins.

But the idea of getting their hands on Nazem Kadri and developing him themselves must still interest the Senators. Especially now that Kadri has shifted to the wing and can play either position.

It's just a matter of price. Maybe not for Spezza but to deny the fact that if available, Kadri would tempt Ottawa, is ridiculous.
Here's another example: Burke was visibly upset last year when Murray traded up to get in front of him and drafted Matt Puempel. That is "fact" according to the standard you've established.

So we'll be nice to you and trade you Puempel for Kessel... It's a fair deal since obviously Burke was really interested in Puempel at the time.

You can thank me later.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:04 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Kadri didn't tempt Ottawa (he didn't even think twice trading for Kadri when Burke told him) then when his value was at his height enough to use their own 9th pick to move up a few places. A trade for Spezza would have Kadri as a quantity throw in, not quality. How often does Ottawa trade to Toronto? We'd clean Toronto dry if we trade Spezza simply because it's Toronto.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:06 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
As a Leafs fan, I wouldn't want Zajac as our #1 centre. Honestly, unless another PROVEN #1 centre becomes available, the only option I see so far is Getzlaf.
Why? I think Zajac would be compliment Kessel very well.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

I love the Leafs but I have an admiration for the Senators and the city of Ottawa.

I get that you don't want to trade Spezza but your perception is questionable.

Did you watch the whole video?

Turn up the volume.

Burke: "Kadri's the guy we're going to take. Is that the kid you want?"
Murray: "Yeah."

Old
07-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Moller

vCash: 1322
Quote:
We have Nazem Kadri and Joe Colborne at centre. That's it.

But Burke has done a great job in terms of depth on the blue line and in net.

A lack of drafting a #1 centre isn't the issue with him.

I'm content with what he's done so far. Not thrilled, but he's plugged some holes and we haven't had this much depth in decades.
The depth is great, I agree. But what is your GM doing in relation to his peers? Look at the rest of your division.

Boston: Bergeron Drafted 2nd round (45th overall), Krejci Drafted 2nd round (63rd overall), Seguin Drafted 1st round (2nd overall)
Buffalo: Grigorenko Drafted 1st round (12th overall), Girgensons Drafted 1st round (14th overall)
Montreal: Plekanec Drafted 3rd round (71st overall), Galchenyuk Drafted 1st round (3rd overall)
Ottawa: Spezza Drafted 1st round (2nd overall), Zibanejad Drafted 1st round (6th overall)
Toronto: Kadri Drafted 1st round (7th overall)

Your divisional opponents recognize the area of need and have drafted to deal with it. I'm not solely pointing the finger at Burke here - some of these various picks are from other tenures of various GMs. Your organization needs to not only draft a #1C, but they need to draft a backup plan also. If Burke isn't going to do it you guys need someone who will.

Moller is offline   Reply With Quote