HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jaromir Jagr signs with Dallas Stars [1 year, 4.5M cap hit]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
  #501
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruktbomb View Post
Why is it so wrong for people to LIKE money?
For some reason professional athletes are supposed to be the only people in a capitalist society who are not motivated in any way by money. It's ridiculous pie-in-the-sky idealist nonsense fostered by people who see them more as "heroes" and "role models" than as what they are, which is exceptionally talented entertainers for whom many people are willing to pay good money to watch them perform.

It's almost doubly amusing to see it in hockey, since this is a sport where the alleged two biggest moments in history (72 Summit Series and 1980 Miracle On Ice) are worshiped as much for being victories of capitalism over communism as they are for their actual athletic merit.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
  #502
chill factor
Registered User
 
chill factor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Coast Cali
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
WOW! I didn't see that at all!!!!
The WESTERN conference is going to be tough as hell this season!

chill factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:49 PM
  #503
thekernel
Registered User
 
thekernel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
For some reason professional athletes are supposed to be the only people in a capitalist society who are not motivated in any way by money. It's ridiculous pie-in-the-sky idealist nonsense fostered by people who see them more as "heroes" and "role models" than as what they are, which is exceptionally talented entertainers for whom many people are willing to pay good money to watch them perform.

It's almost doubly amusing to see it in hockey, since this is a sport where the alleged two biggest moments in history (72 Summit Series and 1980 Miracle On Ice) are worshiped as much for being victories of capitalism over communism as they are for their actual athletic merit.
yeah, i don't mind when athletes go for the money. i can forgive christian ehrhoff for leaving vancouver for 10 million dollars. i mean, it's 10 million dollars. for his first year. i would jump ship for that. but i guess in some situations it can be seen as a betrayal of organizational loyalty.

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
  #504
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain
 
Jerry Lundegaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 500
strnge

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:57 AM
  #505
CJV123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Dallas is signing veterans players to 1-2 year deals as stopgaps until younger players/prospects are ready for the NHL.
and to reach the cap floor. it's embarassing to read people in here talking about overpayment and the "cap hit."

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:09 AM
  #506
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Anything that keeps him away from the Rangers I'm for.
Jagr is the best player to ever wear a Rangers jersey

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:30 AM
  #507
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
For some reason professional athletes are supposed to be the only people in a capitalist society who are not motivated in any way by money. It's ridiculous pie-in-the-sky idealist nonsense fostered by people who see them more as "heroes" and "role models" than as what they are, which is exceptionally talented entertainers for whom many people are willing to pay good money to watch them perform.
Whoa there, buddy... What's with the realism stuff?
We don't take kindly to your folk 'round here.

Every NHL player should offer a discount to the team that drafted them, duh.
And they should do so regardless if they're from another city or country or grew up never caring about that same team.

And yes, Jagr should have played for 2 million for Pittsburgh instead of 3.5 million for the Flyers.
Because Pens are a contender and Philly is not.
And Pens are his home team.

...

The whole thing was even more laughable when he got like 7 points in 6 games and the Flyers knocked the Pens out.
Shero acted like he offered Jagr charity.
A top-10 all-time forward still capable of winning games in the big leagues, so whatever...

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:15 AM
  #508
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 4,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Whoa there, buddy... What's with the realism stuff?
We don't take kindly to your folk 'round here.

Every NHL player should offer a discount to the team that drafted them, duh.
And they should do so regardless if they're from another city or country or grew up never caring about that same team.

And yes, Jagr should have played for 2 million for Pittsburgh instead of 3.5 million for the Flyers.
Because Pens are a contender and Philly is not.
And Pens are his home team.

...

The whole thing was even more laughable when he got like 7 points in 6 games and the Flyers knocked the Pens out.
Shero acted like he offered Jagr charity.
A top-10 all-time forward still capable of winning games in the big leagues, so whatever...
Philly offered him 3.3 mill $ if we want to get technical.

also where did Shero act? he didn't say anything about Jagr. 2 mill $ was his offer, Jagr wanted more and that was it...

edit: good signing for the Stars, who the hell cares about the caphit if it's for one season?

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:16 PM
  #509
PRMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Dallas will be SC* Champions!

(*Senior Citizen)

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
  #510
Wounded
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
And Pens are his home team.
.
Why should he care about Pens? His home team is Kladno. That is why he bought this club and why he sinks his own money there.

Wounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
  #511
LordHelmet
Registered User
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Talk about "playing for money"

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me considering he's 40 and have earned plenty during his career, his descision should have been about winning, dallas ain't winning the cup anytime soon.
Perhaps it is. Play with Dallas & see how things go. If Dallas doesn't seem to be in good shape, then accept a trade to who he thinks is the best contender. Certainly, he'd be better able to pick the team with the best chance in February instead of in July when rosters aren't even complete..

(Disclaimer - I'm not sure if his deal includes an NTC or not. I'm guessing that there's probably a limited 5 or 10 team list NTC..)

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
  #512
LordHelmet
Registered User
 
LordHelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Too much money, too old. And they traded Ribeiro for scraps. Gainey has clearly returned to Dallas.
With their current roster, Dallas is about $7 million under the cap FLOOR. Cap hit is no issue whatsoever. Money is no issue because Gaglardi is loaded.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:51 PM
  #513
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
Dallas will be SC* Champions!

(*Senior Citizen)
Not necessarily.....



(P.J. Stock approved)

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:32 PM
  #514
WolfgangAmadeusEller*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Burlington
Country: United States
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
So glad we stayed away from him.

Jagr: Canadiens were my first choice, but they weren’t interested

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
  #515
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
He has managed to play for a team i dislike his entire career. Kovalev was close but I don't dislike Montreal (Ottawa is ifffy)

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
  #516
PWB
Dreaming of Donuts
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
For some reason professional athletes are supposed to be the only people in a capitalist society who are not motivated in any way by money.
What's the point of having a discussion if this is the premise?

It's a pretty simple point to understand. Once you have enough money to satisfy your basic needs, wants start to come into play. This is true for everyone.

Steve Nash could get more money playing elsewhere, but he wants to go to a contender and be near his family.

PWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:41 PM
  #517
Licou
Registered User
 
Licou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Longuh
Country:
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Jagr is the best player to ever wear a Rangers jersey
Ever heard about that Gretzky guy?

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
  #518
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWB View Post
What's the point of having a discussion if this is the premise?

It's a pretty simple point to understand. Once you have enough money to satisfy your basic needs, wants start to come into play. This is true for everyone.

Steve Nash could get more money playing elsewhere, but he wants to go to a contender and be near his family.
Right now, it's almost a crapshoot as to which team will win the Cup, once the playoffs start. How many picked the 8th seed Kings to play the 6th seed Devils (4th in their division)?

He went back to Russia in part to be closer to his friends/family in Czech. Yes, $ played a part too. Difficult to turn down, effectively, much more $ to play 2/3 as many games while being close to your homeland. As has been pointed out, he's funding the hockey team in his hometown and returning to the NHL in his 40's (in part) to help do so. It's not like the players choose the teams that draft them.

I just don't see why there's such a double standard. Do you think Mario came back in 2001 for his love of the garage league... um, I mean the game? No, it was mainly because the Pens were near bankruptcy and almost moved, and they owed him money for seasons where he hadn't been playing. Meanwhile, Jagr had been putting people in the seats, leading a mediocre team to the playoffs (extra revenue for team) and he's the villain... for helping to keep the team afloat so they can pay Mario too, and Mario can swoop in and "save the day." (he did, but it was the only way he was certain to get paid)

Do you recall Joe Sakic signing a huge offer sheet with the Rangers... Fedorov doing something similar... Forsberg jumping to the Flyers where they became the league's laughingstock in his second season? Oh, but I'm sure "Peter the Great" was only thinking of how great the Flyers were and somehow misjudged that.

I don't blame those players for doing what they did, it's their careers. I just find it puzzling that Jagr's allegedly some lazy, careless "mercenary".

All that being said, he should probably zip his lip a bit more in public.


Last edited by Czech Your Math: 07-05-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
  #519
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Wow, Dallas huh!? They came outta no where.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
  #520
Erathian
Registered User
 
Erathian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
All that being said, he should probably zip his lip a bit more in public.
This can't be bold enough. He always says something and then he says he didn't mean it this or that way...For example, travelling was important for him last year and this year, he makes completely opposite move...

Erathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:58 PM
  #521
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel View Post
yeah, i don't mind when athletes go for the money. i can forgive christian ehrhoff for leaving vancouver for 10 million dollars. i mean, it's 10 million dollars. for his first year. i would jump ship for that. but i guess in some situations it can be seen as a betrayal of organizational loyalty.
Does that count when a player is traded away rather unceremoniously?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
  #522
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erathian View Post
This can't be bold enough. He always says something and then he says he didn't mean it this or that way...For example, travelling was important for him last year and this year, he makes completely opposite move...
It's one thing to say something to defend your choice and diffuse hard feelings, but that isn't the case here. I just don't see what purpose he had for saying Montreal was his first choice. He should privately let Pleks know "hey, I really wanted to play on your line with Habs, but I thought Dallas had at least as good a chance and they offered me another million."

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
  #523
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Jagr is the best player to ever wear a Rangers jersey



SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:16 AM
  #524
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post


It should have been "Jagr is the Ranger who played the best hockey".

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:34 AM
  #525
RyanCallahan24*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Ever heard about that Gretzky guy?
Jagr was better playing for Rangers.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.