HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jaromir Jagr signs with Dallas Stars [1 year, 4.5M cap hit]

Old
07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruktbomb View Post
Why is it so wrong for people to LIKE money?
For some reason professional athletes are supposed to be the only people in a capitalist society who are not motivated in any way by money. It's ridiculous pie-in-the-sky idealist nonsense fostered by people who see them more as "heroes" and "role models" than as what they are, which is exceptionally talented entertainers for whom many people are willing to pay good money to watch them perform.

It's almost doubly amusing to see it in hockey, since this is a sport where the alleged two biggest moments in history (72 Summit Series and 1980 Miracle On Ice) are worshiped as much for being victories of capitalism over communism as they are for their actual athletic merit.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
chill factor

WOW! I didn't see that at all!!!!
The WESTERN conference is going to be tough as hell this season!

chill factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:49 PM
thekernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
For some reason professional athletes are supposed to be the only people in a capitalist society who are not motivated in any way by money. It's ridiculous pie-in-the-sky idealist nonsense fostered by people who see them more as "heroes" and "role models" than as what they are, which is exceptionally talented entertainers for whom many people are willing to pay good money to watch them perform.

It's almost doubly amusing to see it in hockey, since this is a sport where the alleged two biggest moments in history (72 Summit Series and 1980 Miracle On Ice) are worshiped as much for being victories of capitalism over communism as they are for their actual athletic merit.
yeah, i don't mind when athletes go for the money. i can forgive christian ehrhoff for leaving vancouver for 10 million dollars. i mean, it's 10 million dollars. for his first year. i would jump ship for that. but i guess in some situations it can be seen as a betrayal of organizational loyalty.

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

strnge

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:57 AM
CJV123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Dallas is signing veterans players to 1-2 year deals as stopgaps until younger players/prospects are ready for the NHL.
and to reach the cap floor. it's embarassing to read people in here talking about overpayment and the "cap hit."

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Anything that keeps him away from the Rangers I'm for.
Jagr is the best player to ever wear a Rangers jersey

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Whoa there, buddy... What's with the realism stuff?
We don't take kindly to your folk 'round here.

Every NHL player should offer a discount to the team that drafted them, duh.
And they should do so regardless if they're from another city or country or grew up never caring about that same team.

And yes, Jagr should have played for 2 million for Pittsburgh instead of 3.5 million for the Flyers.
Because Pens are a contender and Philly is not.
And Pens are his home team.

The whole thing was even more laughable when he got like 7 points in 6 games and the Flyers knocked the Pens out.
Shero acted like he offered Jagr charity.
A top-10 all-time forward still capable of winning games in the big leagues, so whatever...

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:15 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Whoa there, buddy... What's with the realism stuff?
We don't take kindly to your folk 'round here.

Every NHL player should offer a discount to the team that drafted them, duh.
And they should do so regardless if they're from another city or country or grew up never caring about that same team.

And yes, Jagr should have played for 2 million for Pittsburgh instead of 3.5 million for the Flyers.
Because Pens are a contender and Philly is not.

The whole thing was even more laughable when he got like 7 points in 6 games and the Flyers knocked the Pens out.
Shero acted like he offered Jagr charity.
A top-10 all-time forward still capable of winning games in the big leagues, so whatever...
Philly offered him 3.3 mill $ if we want to get technical.

also where did Shero act? he didn't say anything about Jagr. 2 mill $ was his offer, Jagr wanted more and that was it...

edit: good signing for the Stars, who the hell cares about the caphit if it's for one season?

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:16 PM
PRMan

Dallas will be SC* Champions!

(*Senior Citizen)

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Wounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Why should he care about Pens? His home team is Kladno. That is why he bought this club and why he sinks his own money there.

Wounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Talk about "playing for money"

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me considering he's 40 and have earned plenty during his career, his descision should have been about winning, dallas ain't winning the cup anytime soon.
Perhaps it is. Play with Dallas & see how things go. If Dallas doesn't seem to be in good shape, then accept a trade to who he thinks is the best contender. Certainly, he'd be better able to pick the team with the best chance in February instead of in July when rosters aren't even complete..

(Disclaimer - I'm not sure if his deal includes an NTC or not. I'm guessing that there's probably a limited 5 or 10 team list NTC..)

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Too much money, too old. And they traded Ribeiro for scraps. Gainey has clearly returned to Dallas.
With their current roster, Dallas is about $7 million under the cap FLOOR. Cap hit is no issue whatsoever. Money is no issue because Gaglardi is loaded.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
Dallas will be SC* Champions!

(*Senior Citizen)
Not necessarily.....

(P.J. Stock approved)

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:32 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

So glad we stayed away from him.

Jagr: Canadiens were my first choice, but they weren’t interested

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
davebenj

He has managed to play for a team i dislike his entire career. Kovalev was close but I don't dislike Montreal (Ottawa is ifffy)

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
PWB
Dreaming of Donuts

Quote:
For some reason professional athletes are supposed to be the only people in a capitalist society who are not motivated in any way by money.
What's the point of having a discussion if this is the premise?

It's a pretty simple point to understand. Once you have enough money to satisfy your basic needs, wants start to come into play. This is true for everyone.

Steve Nash could get more money playing elsewhere, but he wants to go to a contender and be near his family.

PWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Ever heard about that Gretzky guy?

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWB View Post
What's the point of having a discussion if this is the premise?

It's a pretty simple point to understand. Once you have enough money to satisfy your basic needs, wants start to come into play. This is true for everyone.

Steve Nash could get more money playing elsewhere, but he wants to go to a contender and be near his family.
Right now, it's almost a crapshoot as to which team will win the Cup, once the playoffs start. How many picked the 8th seed Kings to play the 6th seed Devils (4th in their division)?

He went back to Russia in part to be closer to his friends/family in Czech. Yes, $ played a part too. Difficult to turn down, effectively, much more $ to play 2/3 as many games while being close to your homeland. As has been pointed out, he's funding the hockey team in his hometown and returning to the NHL in his 40's (in part) to help do so. It's not like the players choose the teams that draft them.

I just don't see why there's such a double standard. Do you think Mario came back in 2001 for his love of the garage league... um, I mean the game? No, it was mainly because the Pens were near bankruptcy and almost moved, and they owed him money for seasons where he hadn't been playing. Meanwhile, Jagr had been putting people in the seats, leading a mediocre team to the playoffs (extra revenue for team) and he's the villain... for helping to keep the team afloat so they can pay Mario too, and Mario can swoop in and "save the day." (he did, but it was the only way he was certain to get paid)

Do you recall Joe Sakic signing a huge offer sheet with the Rangers... Fedorov doing something similar... Forsberg jumping to the Flyers where they became the league's laughingstock in his second season? Oh, but I'm sure "Peter the Great" was only thinking of how great the Flyers were and somehow misjudged that.

I don't blame those players for doing what they did, it's their careers. I just find it puzzling that Jagr's allegedly some lazy, careless "mercenary".

All that being said, he should probably zip his lip a bit more in public.

Last edited by Czech Your Math: 07-05-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Baby Punisher

Wow, Dallas huh!? They came outta no where.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Erathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
All that being said, he should probably zip his lip a bit more in public.
This can't be bold enough. He always says something and then he says he didn't mean it this or that way...For example, travelling was important for him last year and this year, he makes completely opposite move...

Erathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:58 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel View Post
yeah, i don't mind when athletes go for the money. i can forgive christian ehrhoff for leaving vancouver for 10 million dollars. i mean, it's 10 million dollars. for his first year. i would jump ship for that. but i guess in some situations it can be seen as a betrayal of organizational loyalty.
Does that count when a player is traded away rather unceremoniously?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erathian View Post
This can't be bold enough. He always says something and then he says he didn't mean it this or that way...For example, travelling was important for him last year and this year, he makes completely opposite move...
It's one thing to say something to defend your choice and diffuse hard feelings, but that isn't the case here. I just don't see what purpose he had for saying Montreal was his first choice. He should privately let Pleks know "hey, I really wanted to play on your line with Habs, but I thought Dallas had at least as good a chance and they offered me another million."

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

It should have been "Jagr is the Ranger who played the best hockey".

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:34 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Ever heard about that Gretzky guy?
Jagr was better playing for Rangers.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote