HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Teams needing to get to cap floor

Old
07-07-2012, 09:53 AM
lunadio

vCash: 500
Teams needing to get to cap floor

There hasn't been much discussion on this subject of teams try to get to cap floor,
a little here and there so i thought it would be useful to discuss in one thread . Narrows down the possibilities and needs to teams trying to achieve cap floor and fill there roster . i am using my team the senator as the first example .
Everybody keeps talking about losing prospects and roster players for a big name signing but im not sure it would work. How do we get to the cap floor without subtracting from roster, wouldn't we have to spend a hell of alot on a player or maybe two? to achieve that .Murray never addressed this in the media . Said he's pretty well done but he's not even close to the cap floor this has me very puzzled?????

Last edited by lunadio: 07-07-2012 at 09:59 AM.
lunadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:21 AM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadio View Post
There hasn't been much discussion on this subject of teams try to get to cap floor,
a little here and there so i thought it would be useful to discuss in one thread . Narrows down the possibilities and needs to teams trying to achieve cap floor and fill there roster . i am using my team the senator as the first example .
Everybody keeps talking about losing prospects and roster players for a big name signing but im not sure it would work. How do we get to the cap floor without subtracting from roster, wouldn't we have to spend a hell of alot on a player or maybe two? to achieve that .Murray never addressed this in the media . Said he's pretty well done but he's not even close to the cap floor this has me very puzzled?????
What mix of prospects/picks would you give up for Luongo? If you don't give up any significant roster pieces he definitely makes you a better team.

arshonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Alklha

That salary cap floor is not known yet.

I don't think the salary cap will remain at $70.2m, but if it does, then there is no way that the cap floor will be as high as $54.2m.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Holymakinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadio View Post
Huh? If I read the Sen's team salary right on nhlnumbers.com, you guys have 19 players signed, for a hair under 50 million.

So you need to spend another 4.4 million on 4 more players, to reach a 23 man roster(to reach the proposed 54.3 million dollar floor).

Should be super easy, no?

Holymakinaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
That salary cap floor is not known yet.

I don't think the salary cap will remain at $70.2m, but if it does, then there is no way that the cap floor will be as high as $54.2m.
Exactly, cap floor only comes into play once the season starts. That wont happen before a new CBA is finalized and it could completely change the whole concept of a cap floor. Probably just slightly modify it but who knows what happens at the negotiating table.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:41 AM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymakinaw View Post
Huh? If I read the Sen's team salary right on nhlnumbers.com, you guys have 19 players signed, for a hair under 50 million.

So you need to spend another 4.4 million on 4 more players, to reach a 23 man roster(to reach the proposed 54.3 million dollar floor).

Should be super easy, no?
This.

If we add Silfverberg and Zibanejad to the roster and re-sign Jim O'Brien, that's over $3-million dollars right there. Our forwards and D are relatively complete right now, so Murray would have to bring in one more depth piece to get to $4.4 million and meet the cap floor.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Fastasaurus

Remember you can always have Thomas for nothing and not have to pay him a dime either.

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:55 AM
8thRoundPick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
Remember you can always have Thomas for nothing and not have to pay him a dime either.
Won't be for nothing. The Bruins have a full roster and are cap compliant even with Thomas on the books and Savard not on LTIR. This is not a Malakhov situation.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thRoundPick View Post
Won't be for nothing. The Bruins have a full roster and are cap compliant even with Thomas on the books and Savard not on LTIR. This is not a Malakhov situation.
Unless it's taking a bad contract back, I don't think the Bruins get anything of value. Thomas hijacked any leverage the Bruins had in a Thomas trade.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 505
Teams are betting that at the end of the CBA negotiations, the Cap ceiling will remain the same but the Cap floor will be lowered.

It'd be smart to assume that they have some inside knowledge/instruction from the NHL on this matter since they seem to be acting in unison.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Teams are betting that at the end of the CBA negotiations, the Cap ceiling will remain the same but the Cap floor will be lowered.

It'd be smart to assume that they have some inside knowledge/instruction from the NHL on this matter since they seem to be acting in unison.
Lowering the cap min(but elaving the cap max as is) will just make it a bigger case of have and have nots.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Lowering the cap min(but elaving the cap max as is) will just make it a bigger case of have and have nots.
Perhaps, but right now the loudest voice in the room amongst owners are the small market owners complaining about how the cap floor is killing them.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:28 AM
GreatBear

Looking at Cap Geek, there are currently 14 teams below the floor. However, you really need to look at each team to see if there is a potential issue, even if the floor stays where it is. Each team is in a different situation, but I would be surprised to see more than two or three teams strain to reach the current floor.

If I look at my team, the Ducks, for example, Cap Geek shows a current payroll of $47,064,167, over $7 million below the floor. However, if I substitute Fasth for D-Deslauriers, which is widely expected, I add $387,500 to the payroll. I will add Selanne, again widely expected, at $4.5 million (the same as paid to Jagr). Bonino is going to arbitration, but if I raise him to $800,000 from the $693,000 he got last year, the total for these three players is an increase of $5,687,500, to bring the payroll to $52,751,667.

The Ducks like to carry 22 players, not 23. If they do, they still need three forwards to bring the total to 13. They should easily be over the cap floor with the payroll added for these three players, particularly since they have given every indication of bring Palmeri up from the start of the season, with a cap hit, including bonuses, of over $1 million. Even if they are still under the floor they can add a 14th forward for the small hit necessary to take them over the floor. So, while it appears that the Ducks may have troubles with the current floor, it is unlikely that they actually have that issue.

You can do the analysis for the other teams as well. I just don't know the situation of those teams as well as I do for the Ducks.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:38 AM
JackJ

Floor chart: http://www.capgeek.com/charts_floor.php

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
That might be the case, but the situation has been managed terribly and it might be the only realistic option in the short term.

The $70.2m cap is based on the current terms of the CBA, which the owners want changed. Considering that the League instructed the teams to operate under the assumption of a $70.2m cap, it makes it difficult to reduce it now. Logical solution would be to lower the cap and then slowly raising it again.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Winnipeg has about 5 million to go to reach the cap floor.

The majority of that will go towards Kane's new contract, while the rest will be used to re-sign Spencer Machacek (RFA) and hopefully sign a UFA right winger.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Benji Frank

getting to the cap floor won't be a problem.

of the 14 teams not there, 4 of them are less then a 3rd line forward away from it.

Ottawa still needs a few top 9ers. if zibanejad makes the team this year they're half way there with 3 more spots to fill.

Dallas (Benn), WPG (Kane), St. Louis (Oshie), Ducks (Selanne), Fla (Versteeg), Pho (Doan), Nash (Kostichyn, Weber) all have a guy who, once signed, puts them right near the floor with a few spots left to fill. If any of those guys hold out or go elsewhere, then it could get a little interesting, but there's enough bloated contracts out there on teams near the cap ceiling that none of these guys will have much trouble getting to the floor by opening night. Heck, Tim Thomas could get most of these teams close ... and tolling the contract keeps them there next year ... without spending a dime!!

That leaves the Isles and the Hurricanes. Both of them are a few 1.5M per players from the floor. i'm sure Carolina will be able to find someone willing to accept a trade there to play wit the Staal's. The Isles have some guys in their system whose cap could get them there if needbe. Otherwise, there's always a rolston or two floating around that could be had for nothing!

As for the 70.2M & 54M numbers, it wouldn't surprise me to see the owners agree to work from those this year and offer a slding % of revenues over the next few years to get to the number they want without taking any current dollars form the players ... ie 57% this year, 55% next 53% the eyar after and 50% after that. i can't see them doing it any other way after the contracts they handed out this year ... Crosby (concussions), plus Parise, Suter, Carle, Wideman, etc ... not huge stars signing with not big market teams. the players can't complain either when a guy like Tootoo or Prust are suddenly $2M+ per guys!!

Last edited by Benji Frank: 07-07-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
What mix of prospects/picks would you give up for Luongo? If you don't give up any significant roster pieces he definitely makes you a better team.
nope

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:29 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
That might be the case, but the situation has been managed terribly and it might be the only realistic option in the short term.

The $70.2m cap is based on the current terms of the CBA, which the owners want changed. Considering that the League instructed the teams to operate under the assumption of a $70.2m cap, it makes it difficult to reduce it now. Logical solution would be to lower the cap and then slowly raising it again.
My suggestion would be(using this years numbers)

If lower cap is 54M and upper cap is 70M, find the midway point of that(62M). Basically if a team goes over that midpoint, they get taxed 1 dollar for every dollar they spend over it. Take all that money from teams spending over 62M and spread it equally to all the teams under the mid cap.

Another alternative that might work is allow teams to put players on a special kind of waivers that teams bid for a players services, highest bidder wins. In terms of the actual caphit, only the amount a team pays for the player counts while the team losing the player just has to pay salary with no caphit.

Using Wade Redden as an example, say if the Rangers put him on this form of waivers, three teams where interested. Team A offers to pay 500k for the next 2 seasons, Team B offers to pay 600K for the next 2 seasons and Team C offers 700K for the next 2 seasons. Team C wins his services and pays him 700k for the next 2 seasons while getting a caphit of 700K, the Rangers only have to pay Redden 4.3M for each of the next 2 seasons(since his contract is 5M each season) but don't get any of it going against their a cap

This will give big market teams a free out of a bad contract while it gives small market teams a chance to bargin bin hunt

Last edited by boredmale: 07-07-2012 at 02:37 PM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote