HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part XIV

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

vCash: 500
Free Agent Frenzy Part XIV

Continue.....at your own peril.

Last edited by Cowbell232: 07-08-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Why is this still a GDT? Why the silly titles?
Old
07-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I hope someone trades for Sekera. I know he has it, but it`s never going to work under Ruff.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:15 AM
guitarguyvic

Quote:
8 years for 27 year old is a retirement contract? Don't tell Elias that.

That is irrelevant though it is fairly obvious the Devils definition of "competitive" wasn't.
And it is fairly obvious that you are making assumptions that fit your narrative. Not saying it's not possible, but you don't have any evidence of which teams offered that contract.

Now even if that were true, again I ask...what does that have to do with us signing any other quality forward?

Old
07-07-2012, 09:17 AM
CerebralGenesis

Is that Jim? I think he's been saying that we are in debt pretty much.

I actually don't think he's totally off base or anything either. Kovalchuk set the bar super high for this team and if you are telling someone else that he is the guy and not Kovy, you better illustrate that.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

If the Devils only offered Parise 8 years, I think that's more than reasonable considering that when Parise hits the wall, he's going to hit it really hard.

I don't think it's outlandish to say that Parise while still a Top forward, has lost a little bit of his speed/quickness since his knee injury and may be passing if not past his peak.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Chico Eats

Okay here's a non Semin post on free agency... because something about it just doesn't feel like it'll happen.

A signing I could see honestly Lou doing would be getting Kyle Wellwood

Kovy-Zajac-Henrique
Elias-Wellwood-Zubrus
Carter/Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Goon/Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I'm still holding out hope Teddy turns it around. If not Carter would fit in well as a #3 LW

Old
07-07-2012, 09:50 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
If the Devils only offered Parise 8 years, I think that's more than reasonable considering that when Parise hits the wall, he's going to hit it really hard.

I don't think it's outlandish to say that Parise while still a Top forward, has lost a little bit of his speed/quickness since his knee injury and may be passing if not past his peak.
Parise ('08-09) - 82 GP, 45 goals, 94 points
Parise ('09-10) - 81 GP, 38 goals, 82 points
Parise ('11-12) - 82 GP, 31 goals, 69 points

I do think the down numbers this year were mainly because of his bad start after being off a year and he'll be closer to 75-80 points again this year...but it's interesting to note the downward trend 'already'.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:50 AM
guitarguyvic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
And it is fairly obvious that you are making assumptions that fit your narrative. Not saying it's not possible, but you don't have any evidence of which teams offered that contract.

Now even if that were true, again I ask...what does that have to do with us signing any other quality forward?
He was arguing that the whole Parise fiasco illustrates that the Kovy contract is preventing us from getting another quality forward (not just specifically Zach who would have wanted a massive contract).

Old
07-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Well, if we had to choose one, I'm glad that it was Kovy that we signed to a retirement contract. You can argue which one is better now and make valid points for both players, but there is no doubt in my mind who will age better and be the better player at 35 or so. Parise thrives on his quickness, agility, and massive work rate. Those are 3 things that go with age. He keeps himself in good shape so I don't expect him to drop off so easily but age always gets the best of everyone. What Zach doesn't have going for him is the fact that his shot sucks and that his passing isn't all that either. Let's look at Kovy's strengths. His shot is top 3 in the league, he is built like a tank, and is lightning fast. He also keeps himself in great shape so I don't expect him to lose much by 35. His speed will go a bit but he doesn't need that as much as Zach. And by 37/38 Kovy can just be a stationary one timer lol.

With all this said, I would still have been hapy if we signed Zach to that 98/13 contract.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Parise ('08-09) - 82 GP, 45 goals, 94 points
Parise ('09-10) - 81 GP, 38 goals, 82 points
Parise ('11-12) - 82 GP, 31 goals, 69 points

I do think the down numbers this year were mainly because of his bad start after being off a year and he'll be closer to 75-80 points again this year...but it's interesting to note the downward trend 'already'.
I actually don't see it this year from my personal viewpoint. I think there's going to be a bit of an adjustment period for him in moving to the WC and getting familiar more with the teams out there and also with the system Yeo likes to play and his new linemates. I would not be surprised if he starts off kind of slow production-wise. I'd be surprised if he doesn't hit 30 goals at least, but we'll see I suppose.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
I actually don't see it this year from my personal viewpoint. I think there's going to be a bit of an adjustment period for him in moving to the WC and getting familiar more with the teams out there and also with the system Yeo likes to play and his new linemates. I would not be surprised if he starts off kind of slow production-wise. I'd be surprised if he doesn't hit 30 goals at least, but we'll see I suppose.
His new linemates actually might look a lot like his old linemates. If he is the LW to Mikko Koivu and Dany Heatley, that would look about as similar as it gets to Zajac and Kovy.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:17 AM
NJDEVIL

the eerie quietness leads me to believe the Devils are in the midst of signing Semin. just a hunch.....

Old
07-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

Agreed. I think the Wild will come to regret that contract sooner rather than later. 8 years is reasonable. 13 is insane, even if they only expect him to play around 10, just by looking at the structure of the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Eats View Post
Okay here's a non Semin post on free agency... because something about it just doesn't feel like it'll happen.

A signing I could see honestly Lou doing would be getting Kyle Wellwood

Kovy-Zajac-Henrique
Elias-Wellwood-Zubrus
Carter/Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Goon/Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I'm still holding out hope Teddy turns it around. If not Carter would fit in well as a #3 LW
Wellwood would be a fine addition, but he isn't a top 6 guy, he'd be better used on the third line. You'd have to keep Henrique at centre or bump Josefson up to the top 6.

I want to sign Wellwood just because all the fat jokes between him and Marty would be hilarious (although neither of them deserve them).

Old
07-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Agreed. I think the Wild will come to regret that contract sooner rather than later. 8 years is reasonable. 13 is insane, even if they only expect him to play around 10, just by looking at the structure of the deal.

Wellwood would be a fine addition, but he isn't a top 6 guy, he'd be better used on the third line. You'd have to keep Henrique at centre or bump Josefson up to the top 6.

I want to sign Wellwood just because all the fat jokes between him and Marty would be hilarious (although neither of them deserve them).
He's had point totals in the mid 40's three times before. If Josefson can earn the minutes over him, that's all the better, but I think he can be a #2 center.

Henrique seems like a better wing anyway, much like when Parise switched from the middle early in his career. Henrique just loses his man when he covers down low too much for my liking. I'd much rather have him up at the point where he can take a pass and use his speed to create breakaways or odd man rushes

Old
07-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Eats View Post
His new linemates actually might look a lot like his old linemates. If he is the LW to Mikko Koivu and Dany Heatley, that would look about as similar as it gets to Zajac and Kovy.
Huh?

Koivu and Heatley are nothing like Zajac and Kovy. Nothing at all. He's never ever played with either of them. And he's going to have to adapt a bit to what each player's strengths/weaknesses/tendencies are, as will they.

There's going to be a feeling out period for sure. One that won't be automatically done by training camp or a few meaningless preseason games.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:32 AM
forceten

Send a message via AIM to forceten
I'm interested in Semin and one of Mueller or Wellwood. Wellwood put up decent numbers in Toronto and Winnipeg, but not so much in Vancouver.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:40 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I hope someone trades for Sekera. I know he has it, but it`s never going to work under Ruff.
Sekera is a gem, he's Fayne with a more raw offensive talent. Big minute-eater. I'd love to get him.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Sekera is a gem, he's Fayne with a more raw offensive talent. Big minute-eater. I'd love to get him.
Go visit Darcy and tell him he sucks (seriously, how come I haven`t heard a single rumour involving him yet?) so we can get him for cheap.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
hockeyr5

vCash: 891
I really want Lou to sign Mueller.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
the eerie quietness leads me to believe the Devils are in the midst of signing Semin. just a hunch.....
We said the same thing about Parise.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:52 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Go visit Darcy and tell him he sucks (seriously, how come I haven`t heard a single rumour involving him yet?) so we can get him for cheap.
I know you're just messing around but a lot of GM's have actually blacklisted Darcy Regier. He's a cheap dick that overprices every single asset he has. It's not enough that both teams get what they want, has to 'win' every deal he makes. He only makes trades with a handful of teams like Calgary, Dallas, Chicago. Mostly Western teams.

I remember Brian Burke say that Darcy was one of his closest personal friends but he just simply can't work with him because he's so damn stingy. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou was the same way.

He thinks every player he's ever drafted is God's gift to hockey. It's why most Sabres fans want him gone.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I know you're just messing around but a lot of GM's have actually blacklisted Darcy Regier. He's a cheap dick that overprices every single asset he has. It's not enough that both teams get what they want, has to 'win' every deal he makes. He only makes trades with a handful of teams like Calgary, Dallas, Chicago. Mostly Western teams.

I remember Brian Burke say that Darcy was one of his closest personal friends but he just simply can't work with him because he's so damn stingy. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou was the same way.

He thinks every player he's ever drafted is God's gift to hockey. It's why most Sabres fans want him gone.
My good friend is a Sabres fan, so yeah, I know. And than he signs someone like Leino to a crazy contract or expects Ehrhoff to be a legitimate #1 defenseman. lol

Gaustad trade was a good example of what you`re saying.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:07 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
My good friend is a Sabres fan, so yeah, I know. And than he signs someone like Leino to a crazy contract or expects Ehrhoff to be a legitimate #1 defenseman. lol

Gaustad trade was a good example of what you`re saying.
Back in the early 2000's he was offered Jarome Iginla for Michael Peca. He demanded that Calgary throw in Toni Lydman too and they said no. So he refused to make the deal and traded Peca to the Islanders for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt instead.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Pizza Rules
Ilya Kovalsucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyr5 View Post
I really want Lou to sign Mueller.
Agreed. He wouldn't cost overly much and is a bit of a wild card...something definitely fascinates me about this.

oh but he can't rock his usual #88 and he would need a haircut

Old
07-07-2012, 11:29 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
We said the same thing about Parise.
There was a lot more speculation regarding Parise as opposed to Semin.

Hell, there was more speculation about Suter than there has been about Semin.

Means nothing anyway.

Closed Thread