HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[WSH/PIT] Mike Green wielding his RFA leverage

Old
07-07-2012, 08:41 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
OK this makes little sense. Green is an RFA who recently turned down arbitration and in all likelyhood is working on a nice extension with McPhee.

IF Green wanted to be a UFA after this year why not take the arbitration and 1 year deal and then become a UFA after this year so he can CHOOSE his destination?
winner winner chicken dinner

RFA's have minimal leverage.

Yes they can sign an offersheet, but who in their right minds are going to offer Mike Green money that the Capitals would turn down?

Silly

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
The Pens and Caps will not be trading major parts with one another. The Vokoun trade is about as signifiant as you'll see, and that was really just a trade-rights deal.
I used to think that before the Jagr trade.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
Would you guys take Orpik for Orlov, Laich, a 1st and a 2nd?
One of the worst proposals ive ever seen dude.

If the caps go back to a more offensive style Green will start putting up points again. Remember Wideman was an allstar last year and imo its because of the powerplay time he was getting in dc. This year one of Carlson or Green will put up major points now that Wideman is gone.

Considering Green did not file for arbitration I dont think hes talking to anyone but Mcphee. Caps would not do this anyways. If 100% healthy he would be the pens best defender. Capable of 31 goals,two norris nominations and his defense is on par with Letang esp after what philly showed could be done to him.
I am a huge Letang fan too. Green does not have Orpik who aparently is worth Orlov,Laich, a first and second. Lo fn L.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:54 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
One of the worst proposals ive ever seen dude.

If the caps go back to a more offensive style Green will start putting up points again. Remember Wideman was an allstar last year and imo its because of the powerplay time he was getting in dc. This year one of Carlson or Green will put up major points now that Wideman is gone.

Considering Green did not file for arbitration I dont think hes talking to anyone but Mcphee. Caps would not do this anyways. If 100% healthy he would be the pens best defender. Capable of 31 goals,two norris nominations and his defense is on par with Letang esp after what philly showed could be done to him.
I am a huge Letang fan too. Green does not have Orpik who aparently is worth Orlov,Laich, a first and second. Lo fn L.
Green is a very good player, no doubt, but pinning his value forever at the season he had three years ago while making Letang's value that of his last six games only is a bit of a specious statement.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:58 AM
SkullSplitter

Can Mike Green play on Crosby's wing?

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

I think Green has been really underrated lately and that isn't the best of value.

If he finds his game this is a flat out slam dunk for Pittsburgh.

Washington is better off holding onto Green, hopefully sign him for 5.5 for 2-4 years.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
WSH has little choice in the matter since Green is a free agent. As for PIT's need, Green near perfectly fits coach Bylsma's system, as well as the gaping hole in PIT's top four blueline rotation.
So, last year the Pens give up the most amount of goals in any 6 game playoff series, ever, and your solution is for them to acquire Mike Green?

Brilliant.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:05 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Green is a very good player, no doubt, but pinning his value forever at the season he had three years ago while making Letang's value that of his last six games only is a bit of a specious statement.
The year before and after he had 18 and 19 goals respectively and put up over 50 pts in each season. All the while with scrubs like Schultz and Morrison riding shotgun...no Buekeboom/Orpik type player across from him thats for sure.

Then the last couple years the Caps switched to the Boudreau trap and then Hunter prevent hockey all the while Green was injured for a bunch of that time.

Now his injuries seem to be in the past and he was excellent in the playoffs. We have a new offensive coach it seems so he should be just fine.

The Pens really attack so his point totals will easily increase.

Besides I doubt seriously any Caps fan wants to see another very good offensive defender go to Pitt and win a cup (Murphy/Gonchar)

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
The argument around here is Letang>Green the past two years. I think now that Letang has to handle more of a defensive role to go with his amazing puck moving..were seeing him exposed much like Green. Esp since tang plays with Orpik and Green plays with Shultz id say thats even more of a disadvantage.

The market is so thin for defenseman right now that its going to take serious over payment. Im not sure what the pens are doing back there. Honest question...were they all in for Suter?

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
The argument around here is Letang>Green the past two years. I think now that Letang has to handle more of a defensive role to go with his amazing puck moving..were seeing him exposed much like Green. Esp since tang plays with Orpik and Green plays with Shultz id say thats even more of a disadvantage.

The market is so thin for defenseman right now that its going to take serious over payment. Im not sure what the pens are doing back there. Honest question...were they all in for Suter?
Letang was great at both ends of the ice last year.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:18 AM
RyanCallahan24*

I dunno why Pens fan wants Green. He's always injured and when he's healthy he's a huge liability. Great offense, awful defense. Not what the Pens need IMO.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
WSH has little choice in the matter since Green is a free agent. As for PIT's need, Green near perfectly fits coach Bylsma's system, as well as the gaping hole in PIT's top four blueline rotation.
*Restricted* free agent. So yes, Washington does have a choice.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:30 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:

Ok, but I am not making that argument here. I am saying that he actually was really effing great as recently as last regular season and people are weighing the Philly series too heavy in their argument here.

I already said it, but I will just say it again for emphasize, I do like Mike Green a lot. He is very good. The problem here is not that he is worse than Letang, it is that he is the same kind of defender and the two of them would make a brutal pairing. The Pens defense is understandably under some scrutiny since the playoffs, but it really isn't the offensive Dmen that need upgrading.

As for Suter, IDK, I believe the Pens main target was Parise. It's very possible they made an offer to Suter tough. But all in? I don't think so.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Letang was great at both ends of the ice last year.

some good comedy ITT. letang is awful defensively. just because HF populates that he's good defensively during a fluke stretch run of racking up secondary assists, don't believe everything you read.

the flyers clowned letang like he belonged in the AHL.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:38 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post

some good comedy ITT. letang is awful defensively. just because HF populates that he's good defensively during a fluke stretch run of racking up secondary assists, don't believe everything you read.

So lets say for arguments sake that was true. Letang is horrible defensively and the Pens need to improve their defensive game, that still makes "Mike Green to the Pens" a complete nonstarter, because someone good defensively would be what the Pens should be looking for, not some as bad as Letang who when 100% healthy can score more points.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:

Populates? Yep, that's an easy ignore. See ya.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Pens1566

Quote:

Haha. But it's not being provided by who you think it is.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Haha. But it's not being provided by who you think it is.
of course it is. the same fans who've handed their team the cup in august the last 2 years and seen them bounce in the first round.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:49 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:

This might be the single worst analysis of Letang I've ever read. I don't even know where to begin.

Letang looks like a man among boys from time to time out there completely dominating on both sides of the ice. His conditioning is probably top notch of all NHL players. You can't take one series where both teams goaltenders and defense looked like garbage. That's such a terrible way to analyze anything. Expand your research.

Kris has great gap control and can fly on both sides of the ice. He isn't a natural goal-scoring defender like Green, but his tenacity in the defensive end makes up for anything Green can bring elsewhere. The guy is a complete warrior out there. There are few players that could replace what Letang does for Pittsburgh.

I'll break his entire game down for you, if needed. #58 is one hell of a player.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:09 AM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'll break his entire game down for you, if needed. #58 is one hell of a player.
Maybe so, but he sure didn't look good defensively during the playoffs. Letang's pairing allowed 11 goals in 6 games at 5on5 -- only Orpik was worse, statistically. That may have had something to do with the matchups, but nevertheless, he performed nothing like a shutdown defenseman.

By comparison, Green's pairing allowed 6 goals in 14 games at 5on5 with a rookie goalie.

Last edited by KenAF: 07-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Doogs44

Mike Green

No thank you. Green is exactly opposite what the Pens need.

Besides, having watched him over the past coupleofseason'i wouldn't trade Depres straight up for him.

Doogs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:11 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Maybe so, but he sure didn't look good defensively during the playoffs. From what I recall, Letang's pairing allowed significantly more goals than any other Pittsburgh pairing. That may have had something to do with the matchups, but nevertheless, he performed nothing like a shutdown defenman.
Orpik and Martin were, quite possibly, the worst players I've seen in the postseason. They just completely forgot how to defend. I also blame our terrible defensive zone scheme which does anything but apply pressure to the opposition.

One on one, Letang is a freaking beast. He's got shutdown capabilities. I don't mean to steer us off course, as the thread is more about Green, but trust me... Letang is as advertised. The guy is just a complete warrior on the ice.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Maybe so, but he sure didn't look good defensively during the playoffs. Letang's pairing allowed 11 goals in 6 games at 5on5 -- only Orpik was worse, statistically. That may have had something to do with the matchups, but nevertheless, he performed nothing like a shutdown defenseman.

By comparison, Green's pairing allowed 6 goals in 14 games at 5on5 with a rookie goalie.
Dude, Fleury was literally knocking pucks into his own net.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Don't like it from a Pens standpoint. I think Green should just stay put in Washington. This trade would make the Caps better now, but also in the future. But as for the Pens, don't see a need to make a trade like this.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:

After reading this, I assume you have never actually seen Letang play. Its not about reading, its about watching. Actually watching him play. Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you assume.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote