HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Porter signed (Yr1: $525k/$105k [2way], Yr2: $550k [1way])

Old
07-06-2012, 05:38 AM
MayDay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Always love when people are all like "OMG THIS IS IT DARCY??!!! WTF" when we sign depth players. Yep, no organization needs those.
Yeah, that makes me laugh too, reading the comments on TBN.

People crucify Darcy for any deal that isn't a megadeal for Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan.

Superstars aren't enough to win a Cup. Organizations need depth too.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:07 AM
littletonhockeycoach

Hey, if we sign Winnik next, we can start calling the organization the Buffalo Avs-nots............ or maybe the Buffalo Avs-beens (Leo, Cody Mac, Porter, Winnik.... Statsny?)

Just trying to lighten the mood while waiting for the real deal to hit the wire...

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Maybe you misunderstood me. Players they don't see as viable recalls. A lot of NHL organizations sign vets that really only serve a purpose for the AHL team. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different philosophy.
those 6 guys played 21 games in buffalo... a whopping 1.4% of total man games played. Each one of them played an average of 0.23% of Buffalo's man games

they were signed for rochester

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
those 6 guys played 21 games in buffalo... a whopping 1.4% of total man games played. Each one of them played an average of 0.23% of Buffalo's man games

You can shake your head all you want, it's Buffalo's philosophy and I've read the quotes in the D&C a number of times. Yes they were signed primarily for Rochester, but they are also capable of stepping into the NHL. They won't sign vets who can't.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

His point is that a lot of the signings are guys that could theoretically fit as injury call-ups, which is definitely not true of all AHL vet type guys. In other words Buffalo wants the added value of being theoretically beneficial to Buffalo as their general philosophy, which obviously makes sense but isn't the only way to run things.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:26 AM
sabrefan27

Here's an example. Martin St. Pierre. An elite AHL center, but the guy can't play in the NHL. He was recently signed to an AHL contract by Chicago to play in Rockford. The guy will be their first line center and play a ton of minutes in all situation without ever factoring into the Blackhawks. The Sabres would not sign a guy like that. They'll sign a veteran, but one who is only able to come up to the NHL.

I said it most cases, it's a good thing, but a different philosophy. Don't know where the issue is here.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Here's an example. Martin St. Pierre. An elite AHL center, but the guy can't play in the NHL. He was recently signed to an AHL contract by Chicago to play in Rockford. The guy will be their first line center and play a ton of minutes in all situation without ever factoring into the Blackhawks. The Sabres would not sign a guy like that. They'll sign a veteran, but one who is only able to come up to the NHL.

I said it most cases, it's a good thing, but a different philosophy. Don't know where the issue is here.
Colin Stuart

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:07 PM
dotcommunism

Buffalo obviously felt that Stuart was able to fit into the NHL lineup if needed since he, you know, did just that. He got called up by Buffalo.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
jfb392

Partial contract details are out: he'll be making league minimum at the NHL level ($525,000).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:25 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Buffalo obviously felt that Stuart was able to fit into the NHL lineup if needed since he, you know, did just that. He got called up by Buffalo.
Considering we had 10 guys out at the time, I don't think that's a good argument to make. I find it hard to believe they signed Stuart for the sole purpose of being the 5th of 6th forward recall. Seems logical that it was strictly for Rochester and the absurd amount of injuries forced our hand.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Considering we had 10 guys out at the time, I don't think that's a good argument to make. I find it hard to believe they signed Stuart for the sole purpose of being the 5th of 6th forward recall. Seems logical that it was strictly for Rochester and the absurd amount of injuries forced our hand.
His point is not that there is a "sole purpose" to anything the Sabres do. On the contrary, his point -- which I agree with -- is that there is a "dual purpose" to their Rochester considerations, that the player both have a role with the Amerks and also be a feasible call-up. This is as opposed to signing players with the "sole purpose" of having a role with and contribute to the Amerks while being unfeasible as a call-up. This applies more to guys who are offense-only players who are successful at the AHL level but can not at all provide offense at the NHL level. They obviously wouldn't fit in any role in an NHL call-up. Stuart has a bottom 6 role in the AHL and is a feasible 4th line call-up, and if you want to argue that second point then it's really not all that relevant because he's so far down the list of guys signed for Rochester.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:52 AM
JPurp26

After listening to his interview, it sounds like they see him as a 4th line center type guy. I wonder if that pushes one of McCormick or Ellis down to the farm NOT Porter. I'm curious to see if he signed a 1 way or 2 way contract. Capgeek still hasn't updated it yet.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:52 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
After listening to his interview, it sounds like they see him as a 4th line center type guy. I wonder if that pushes one of McCormick or Ellis down to the farm NOT Porter. I'm curious to see if he signed a 1 way or 2 way contract. Capgeek still hasn't updated it yet.
I wouldn't read much into what he says. Rolston all but said he would be in Rochester.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Just listened to yeterday's HH interview w/ Porter. Good lord, Sylvester's forced laugh after every 'clever' thing he thinks he says is awful. Reminds me a bit of impressionists' version of George W Bush's laugh. And some of the questions he asks people...

Anyhow, like what I heard from Porter but nothing you wouldn't expect. I hope he can continue to improve his game at the pro level because I always have a soft spot for those guys who had great success before their pro careers and then couldn't quite put it all together. I love when they're eventually able to turn themselves into valuable role players, so it'd be nice to see him do that whether this year for us or down the line for another club.

He and Mancari should form a pretty strong duo at the AHL level. If the "rumblings" mentioned in the Amerks thread about adding Zigomanis are true, they could be a hell of a squad, but I have my doubts as to the validity of all that.

Based on what I gather, I don't think he'd be bad for our 4th line, relative to McCormick or Ellis, playing with Gerbe, but I'd have to really watch him play more before having much conviction. The truth is, McCormick had a really lousy year. Outside of his fighting, for which I have the utmost respect, he didn't play anywhere near the level he had previously for us.

Porter surely should be considered behind McCormick and Ellis at the moment. The fact that he's not a physical player (AFAIK) is obviously something stacked against him, as is the familiarity the coaching staff has with the other two. That said, I wouldn't be too shocked if he made it out of camp, in part because of the lack of no-brainer quality competition and in part because he and Gerbe could form an interesting, if unorthodox, 4th line.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:38 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
I wouldn't read much into what he says. Rolston all but said he would be in Rochester.
That was my impression originally but even the Sabres put him and not Mancari on the Sabres website roster. We have a lot of 4th line / AHL border guys, it will be interesting to see who stays.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Everyone on a Sabre contract are on their website.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Mancari is not on an NHL contract, then?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:07 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
mancari, leggio, flynn, most the two ways are not on the website roster

Old
07-07-2012, 01:43 PM
jfb392

Maybe they gave Porter a one-way or something.
Of course, we won't know for awhile since the Buffalo media is useless.
All they have to do is log into the NHLPA site with their media login and they can see the details of the deal, but of course none of them are probably even considered media since they suck.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:01 PM
ceky

1 way deal? i really hope porter is not the planned 4th line center for the coming NHL season, this would be bad news for sabres and the amerks....

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
mancari, leggio, flynn, most the two ways are not on the website roster
Pardon -- all of their contract players from LAST season are up on their website. They will put them up eventually.

07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Maybe they gave Porter a one-way or something.
Of course, we won't know for awhile since the Buffalo media is useless.
All they have to do is log into the NHLPA site with their media login and they can see the details of the deal, but of course none of them are probably even considered media since they suck.
Details beyond the salary itself? The salaries are available publically on the NHLPA site and according to it, Kevin Porter is getting $525,000.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:52 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Details beyond the salary itself? The salaries are available publically on the NHLPA site and according to it, Kevin Porter is getting $525,000.
Yeah, there's apparently a press login that will show the full details of the deal.
That's how reporters get their information and CapGeek usually gets theirs for reporters, but of course none of our reporters could be bothered to publish details.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:17 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Update:

It's a 2 year contract similar to what Matt Ellis got:
Year 1: $525,000 NHL $105,000 AHL (2-way)
Year 2: $550,000 NHL/AHL (1-way)

No signing bonuses

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Update:

It's a 2 year contract similar to what Matt Ellis got:
Year 1: $525,000 NHL $105,000 AHL (2-way)
Year 2: $550,000 NHL/AHL (1-way)

No signing bonuses
Pegs is a good guy. Even if he's not in the NHL in 2013-14, he'll be getting paid like an NHLer. A thank you for his years of service, perhaps.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote