HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ales Hemsky for Kyle Okposo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2012, 03:06 PM
  #51
L E A F S
Rookie User
 
L E A F S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Why are you always trying to pawn off Hemsky...

L E A F S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:16 PM
  #52
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L E A F S View Post
Why are you always trying to pawn off Hemsky...
to be fair, i don't think it's Edmonton trying to "pawn off" Hemsky... it's a small group of uneducated/uninformed fans who keep trying to convince themselves that he isn't as good or doesn't have a spot on the team anymore... there are plenty of Oiler fans who in general seem to think he [Hemsky] has fallen out of favour with management and the rest of the hometown fans at large.

Truth is, I'm in the camp that Hemsky will be a valuable piece with the Oilers going forward. He's a veteran with elite skill, plays hard and isn't remotely soft. His value is low right now, compounded by the contract, no denying it, but I will almost guarantee the guy is in for a major bounce back season, all the stars are aligning for him in 2012/13. I mean this is a player who at one point, respected hockey writers and commentators were saying could be the next league superstar, with 90-100 point upside. Injuries simply derailed his career and he literally had garbage and boat anchor to play with up until about 2-3 years ago.

Now the Oilers (with Hemsky included...) have depth for once. The pressure is off Hemsky. The veteran leadership he brings will be intangible, the Oilers have enough young bodies and need to surround them with offensively capable veteran players and scorers. I think he will prove his worth this season.

I like Okposo but would rather the Oilers keep Hemsky moving forward, I think he has more value to their organization than with any other. Plus, the guy loves Edmonton and is loyal. That has to count for something. He won't get moved unless it's for a bonafide top 4 defenseman, whether people like it or not, end of story.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:50 PM
  #53
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,533
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
No way Edmonton does this. Okposo has been injury prone and has yet to do anything impressive. in the NHL.


that made my day since i learned the trade partner would be Hemsky

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:04 PM
  #54
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post


that made my day since i learned the trade partner would be Hemsky
Looking at their first 4 seasons in the NHL Okposo has had more injury problems them Hemsky.

Hemskys GP first 5 years

Rookie season : 59 gp (5 games missed due to injury, the rest scratches as he was a rookie)
2nd season : 71 gp (11 games missed due to injury)
3rd season : 81 gp (missed 1 game due to sickness)
4th season : 64 gp (missed 16 games from a shoulder injury)
5th season : 74 gp (missed 7 games due to a knee injury)

Okposo GP first five years :

Rookie season: 65 gp (missed 13 games due to an arm injury, rest scratches)
2nd season : 80 gp (got h1n1 apparently? lol)
3rd season : 38 gp (missed 44 games due to shoulder surgery)
4th season : 79 gp (not sure why he missed 3 games)
5th season : TBD.

Pretty interesting. Both players have injury troubles.

First four years Hemsky 272 GP = 194 points
First four years Okposo 262 GP = 156 points

Obviously the last few seasons haven't been kind to Hemsky and that plays a huge part in determining value but I thought it was interesting to compare.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:09 PM
  #55
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L E A F S View Post
Why are you always trying to pawn off Hemsky...
We have three very talented right wingers and more than a couple of holes elsewhere in the lineup. Trying to trade from one of our strengths to shore up one of our weaknesses isn't really "pawning off" a guy.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
  #56
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
More garbage from Oiler fanboys. Hemsky has all the value of Simon Gagne. Read none. Don't you think Edmonton would have dealt by now him if they could have got a decent defenseman?
No its rumoured Lowe gave him a verbal no trade clause for the first year. He truly signed with the team very last minute and it was Lowe not Tambellini doing the negotiations.


Just because 1 poster named la something creates a million Hemsky threads doesnt mean he is on the market. Way to generalize everyone as fanboys too

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:16 PM
  #57
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
More garbage from Oiler fanboys. Hemsky has all the value of Simon Gagne. Read none. Don't you think Edmonton would have dealt by now him if they could have got a decent defenseman?
I think they're loyal to Hemsky but you're right, he doesn't hold much value right now. I think both Oilers fans and management are hoping Hemsky can have a bounce back year.

It will either show us that he's worth keeping or it will up his trade value enough to get a viable asset back for an extremely talented winger.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:19 PM
  #58
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Looking at their first 4 seasons in the NHL Okposo has had more injury problems them Hemsky.

Hemskys GP first 5 years

Rookie season : 59 gp (5 games missed due to injury, the rest scratches as he was a rookie)
2nd season : 71 gp (11 games missed due to injury)
3rd season : 81 gp (missed 1 game due to sickness)
4th season : 64 gp (missed 16 games from a shoulder injury)
5th season : 74 gp (missed 7 games due to a knee injury)

Okposo GP first five years :

Rookie season: 65 gp (missed 13 games due to an arm injury, rest scratches)
2nd season : 80 gp (got h1n1 apparently? lol)
3rd season : 38 gp (missed 44 games due to shoulder surgery)
4th season : 79 gp (not sure why he missed 3 games)
5th season : TBD.

Pretty interesting. Both players have injury troubles.

First four years Hemsky 272 GP = 194 points
First four years Okposo 262 GP = 156 points

Obviously the last few seasons haven't been kind to Hemsky and that plays a huge part in determining value but I thought it was interesting to compare.
In 2008,Okposo got tangled up with a Canuck player,fell and hurt his arm/wrist.That was the 13 games missed in his rookie yr.

Snow and the Isles would not be concerned with Hemsky's first several nhl seasons.They would be concerned with his last several seasons,his recent production and his salary over the next few seasons.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:21 PM
  #59
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
In 2008,Okposo got tangled up with a Canuck player,fell and hurt his arm/wrist.That was the 13 games missed in his rookie yr.

Snow and the Isles would not be concerned with Hemsky's first several nhl seasons.They would be concerned with his last several seasons,his recent production and his salary over the next few seasons.
Forsure, I wasn't trying to speak to his trade value currently just thought it was interesting to look at. Who knows what Okposo's injury history will be like after 10 years in the NHL.

Aside from last year his production has been great

74 GP 71 PTS
72 GP 66 PTS
22 GP 22 PTS
47 GP 42 PTS

Injuries are the major concern, I know what you mean.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:30 PM
  #60
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L E A F S View Post
Why are you always trying to pawn off Hemsky...
I don't want to see him or Yukupov on the third line. I am a Hemsky fan and if he isn't traded I'm happy as well.

I don't understand why Edmonton re-signed Smyth, Hemsky might have to play on the third line due to history, Edmonton are soo soft. I want to add toughness and Hemsky should have value with the talent he has, just signed a 10 million dollar contract for two years, I want him in the top six not on the third line...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
no clue?-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky <---expensive third line


* look how soft that lineup is...other teams are going to run at our young guns sooner than later.


Last edited by lakai17: 07-07-2012 at 04:39 PM.
lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
  #61
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
i don't want to see him or yukupov on the third line. I am a hemsky fan

i don't understand why edmonton re-signed smyth, hemsky might have to play on the third line due to history, edmonton are soo soft. I want to add toughness and hemsky should have value with the talent he has, just signed a 10 million dollar contract for two years, i want him in the top six not on the third line...

Hall-rnh-eberle
doan-gagner-yakupov
smyth-horcoff-hemsky <---expensive third line


if i was the coach i would have him in the top six, (first line) look how soft that lineup is...
ftfy...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:34 PM
  #62
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I don't want to see him or Yukupov on the third line.

I don't understand why Edmonton re-signed Smyth, Hemsky might have to play on the third line due to history, Edmonton are soo soft. I want to add toughness and Hemsky should have value with the talent he has, just signed a 10 million dollar contract for two years, I want him in the top six not on the third line...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
no clue?-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky <---expensive third line


if I was the coach I would have him in the top six, look how soft that lineup is...
We need toughness from our bottom 6 and the back end, if you have a skilled enough top 6 that is always controlling the play it doesnt matter how physical they are.

Hall and Yakupov have a slight physical edge and Eberle is strong on the puck. Nugent Hopkins almost never gets hit and when he does he's surprisingly solid (and that's in a kids body, just wait a few years!).

If were getting our ***** kicked we can always swap Hartikainen into the top 6 and hide a skilled player on the third line to counter that.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:39 PM
  #63
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
We need toughness from our bottom 6 and the back end, if you have a skilled enough top 6 that is always controlling the play it doesnt matter how physical they are.

Hall and Yakupov have a slight physical edge and Eberle is strong on the puck. Nugent Hopkins almost never gets hit and when he does he's surprisingly solid (and that's in a kids body, just wait a few years!).

If were getting our ***** kicked we can always swap Hartikainen into the top 6 and hide a skilled player on the third line to counter that.
third liners will be still running at Hemsky if he's on the third line.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:42 PM
  #64
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I don't want to see him or Yukupov on the third line.

I don't understand why Edmonton re-signed Smyth, Hemsky might have to play on the third line due to history, Edmonton are soo soft. I want to add toughness and Hemsky should have value with the talent he has, just signed a 10 million dollar contract for two years, I want him in the top six not on the third line...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
no clue?-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky <---expensive third line


if I was the coach I would have him in the top six, look how soft that lineup is...
Then why all these Hemsky proposals when his value is low. Edmonton will have Yakupov at least another 7yrs, depending if he makes the team and if he's not traded. Best to ease him in and show of Hemsky. If Hemsky comes back to form and is healthy, teams will be banging at the door to get him and you won't be get these flaming comments on the HF boards.

IMO the Oilers will wait to TC to make any trades, unless someone gives them a ridiculous offer for Hemsky or Gagner. Makes no reason to trade them right now, teams a still evaluating what they have and will need. Teams will get desperate, that's when you make the trade, and the Oilers are not desperate yet.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
  #65
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L E A F S View Post
Why are you always trying to pawn off Hemsky...
Could it be the same reason Leaf fans are always trying to pawn off Franson.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:56 PM
  #66
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
third liners will be still running at Hemsky if he's on the third line.
So what? He can take hits and we all know how silly Hemsky can make lesser players look.

He turns lower comp inside out.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
  #67
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
So what? He can take hits and we all know how silly Hemsky can make lesser players look.

He turns lower comp inside out.
three solid lines and if there is an injury I guess others will get a chance to learn who Teemu Hartikainen is.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:56 PM
  #68
McArthur
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hockey Heart Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
to be fair, i don't think it's Edmonton trying to "pawn off" Hemsky... it's a small group of uneducated/uninformed fans who keep trying to convince themselves that he isn't as good or doesn't have a spot on the team anymore... there are plenty of Oiler fans who in general seem to think he [Hemsky] has fallen out of favour with management and the rest of the hometown fans at large.

Truth is, I'm in the camp that Hemsky will be a valuable piece with the Oilers going forward. He's a veteran with elite skill, plays hard and isn't remotely soft. His value is low right now, compounded by the contract, no denying it, but I will almost guarantee the guy is in for a major bounce back season, all the stars are aligning for him in 2012/13. I mean this is a player who at one point, respected hockey writers and commentators were saying could be the next league superstar, with 90-100 point upside. Injuries simply derailed his career and he literally had garbage and boat anchor to play with up until about 2-3 years ago.

Now the Oilers (with Hemsky included...) have depth for once. The pressure is off Hemsky. The veteran leadership he brings will be intangible, the Oilers have enough young bodies and need to surround them with offensively capable veteran players and scorers. I think he will prove his worth this season.

I like Okposo but would rather the Oilers keep Hemsky moving forward, I think he has more value to their organization than with any other. Plus, the guy loves Edmonton and is loyal. That has to count for something. He won't get moved unless it's for a bonafide top 4 defenseman, whether people like it or not, end of story.
The boy has had a bad string of luck.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:17 PM
  #69
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
to be fair, i don't think it's Edmonton trying to "pawn off" Hemsky... it's a small group of uneducated/uninformed fans who keep trying to convince themselves that he isn't as good or doesn't have a spot on the team anymore... there are plenty of Oiler fans who in general seem to think he [Hemsky] has fallen out of favour with management and the rest of the hometown fans at large.
whatever.

You want your 5 million dollar player performing on the third line? why not add grit/toughness? I am a fan of Hemsky but we have Eberle, Yakupov, Hall and RNH to build around on offense today.

I'm sure you'll realize how soft Edmonton is when one of the young guns get ran over or Hemsky gets injured again.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:29 PM
  #70
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,336
vCash: 500
Brutal proposal. Insulting to isle fans.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:37 PM
  #71
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,399
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:44 PM
  #72
McArthur
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hockey Heart Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Could it be the same reason Leaf fans are always trying to pawn off Franson.
Hahaha, ba-zing! ill admit that i want franson to be an oiler though. Guess what folks? Oilers are gonna own the market on offense. If you want the scraps...(hemsky). your still gonna have to pay large!

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:46 PM
  #73
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Brutal proposal. Insulting to isle fans.
really!!? not many fans in the eastern conference heard of Ales Hemsky!? the guy sure can dangle and set up goals!

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:48 PM
  #74
Jepprey
Creeper
 
Jepprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
whatever.

You want your 5 million dollar player performing on the third line? why not add grit/toughness? I am a fan of Hemsky but we have Eberle, Yakupov, Hall and RNH to build around on offense today.

I'm sure you'll realize how soft Edmonton is when one of the young guns get ran over or Hemsky gets injured again.
Players will play wherever the coach puts them, no matter how much money they are getting paid.

ps. Putting Eager on the second line doesn't save the team from lack of toughness. lol.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:48 PM
  #75
L E A F S
Rookie User
 
L E A F S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
We have three very talented right wingers and more than a couple of holes elsewhere in the lineup. Trying to trade from one of our strengths to shore up one of our weaknesses isn't really "pawning off" a guy.
Wow thanks for that brilliant insight! No kidding buddy, you don't think I understand what a 'hockey trade' is? I was talking about this specific poster, who literally tries to rip every team off for Hemsky, mostly to teams that have little need or want for him.

L E A F S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.