HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Luke Adam have a spot next year

Old
05-03-2012, 01:59 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Maybe he takes tropps spot with vanek and hodgsen if he has a good off season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
First, I don't think that "line" stays in tact. Second, I don't believe Adam has ever played RW.
Tropp was the LW and Vanek was RW on that line. So Adam wouldn't have to be the RW on that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
agree to disagree, Adam is soft and a below average skater. He either has to crack the 2nd line or AHL. I see us moving him well his value is still high
Why does Adam have to crack the 2nd line if we are going with a 3 scoring line set up?

Also, some posters seem to be forgetting that if we go with 3 scoring lines we will need offensive depth to maintain those 3 lines when injuries hit. We were the 17th team in gpg last season. We were hardly an offensive juggernaut last year that does need any scoring depth.

Last edited by joshjull: 05-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Tropp was the LW and Vanek was RW on that line. So Adam wouldn't have to be the RW on that line.

Why does Adam have to crack the 2nd line if we are going with a 3 scoring line set up?

Also, some posters seem to be forgetting that if we go with 3 scoring lines we will need offensive depth to maintain those 3 lines when injuries hit. We were the 17th team in gpg last season. We were hardly an offensive juggernaut last year that does need any scoring depth.
Injury recall seems about where his game fits at the moment. But at this time, there is no spot for him in the NHL roster and he did nothing on his assignment to change that. He's going to have to have a great camp to get back, and even that might not be enough to have him on the big club to start the year.

05-03-2012, 02:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Injury recall seems about where his game fits at the moment. But at this time, there is no spot for him in the NHL roster and he did nothing on his assignment to change that. He's going to have to have a great camp to get back, and even that might not be enough to have him on the big club to start the year.
I agree.

Looking back it looks like it was too much too soon for him at the start of the year. Due to injuries to Roy/Hecht he started the year on the top line. He was playing great but we knew he was in over his head. We just didn't know how far he would come down. No one envisioned him as our #1 center coming into camp and he wouldn't have been but for the injuries. I was thinking/hoping he had a shot coming into camp at 3rd line center. Maybe centering the Ennis/Boyes line that Leino centered to start the year. The expectations on the kid would have been a lot lower as would the pressure. Who knows how things would have turned out for him if that was the case.

The organization needs to finally decide where the see him playing (Wing/center). If its wing I think he has a chance to develop into a poor man's Vanek. He certainly has the hands. While he may not be physical in terms of hitting and the like. He does have a willingness to play in traffic and go to the net.

EDIT: Basically they need to decide if they want to keep trying to develop him as a center going forward.

Last edited by joshjull: 05-03-2012 at 02:37 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
beerme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Adam is a carreer AHL'er. If he gets a rosterspot on the sabres we're clearly not a contender.
I say this often. But when I say this exact same thing I am referring to Matt Ellis!

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Buffalo92

If Buffalo goes the way of a three line scoring attack, which is what seems to be on the way in the near future, and if Adam works hard in the off-season it would not be out of the question to have him on the wing on the third line or even end up centering it if he can improve those areas of play and given Roy is moved and Hodgson gets first line centering job by default.

Buffalo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:04 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

To the OP, my answer is no, unless current roster Sabres are moved in offseason.

To the other dialog, as to his career future, and whether it's with Buffalo, I think it's too early to tell. He's yet to play 80 NHL games, which I think makes him waiver-protected. He is still on his ELC and is not yet 22yo, and, we don't know what the Sabres roster will be a couple years from now when his ELC expires.

He may be moved by then, he may have a role in BUF, he may surprise and delight between now and then. Who knows?

But for Sept. 2012, unless someone is moved (which I think is definitely possible), Luke would have to outshine and displace someone in order to make the Sabre roster.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If they don't make another move to shore up the middle or add another scoring winger, is Adam back in the mix, even with how bad a season he had? I'm wondering...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:16 PM
tsujimoto74

I have a hard time judging where and if Adam fits into the organization right now. He has some really good qualities, and Rolston believes the work ethic is there. Aside from a prolonged slump last season, he's been a good scorer at every level he's played at. Could he still improve his skating and bounce back? Or are we better off using him as trade bait while he still has decent value for what he showed early in the year centering Vanek and Pommer? Tough call imo.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
If they don't make another move to shore up the middle or add another scoring winger, is Adam back in the mix, even with how bad a season he had? I'm wondering...
If they strike out on landing a center it really could be between Grigorenko and Adam in training camp. I just have so little confidence as him as an NHL center right now, but if his skating improved over the offseason his odds would be much better.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:21 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

What if it ended up like this (flip the order of the lines as seen fit):

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Adam-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

--Adam would be back with Pommer, which could help him out
--There would be a physical presence on each line, assuming Adam uses his size

Drawback is yet another young center, and faceoffs.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I have a hard time judging where and if Adam fits into the organization right now. He has some really good qualities, and Rolston believes the work ethic is there. Aside from a prolonged slump last season, he's been a good scorer at every level he's played at. Could he still improve his skating and bounce back? Or are we better off using him as trade bait while he still has decent value for what he showed early in the year centering Vanek and Pommer? Tough call imo.
I'm not even as down on his skating (which is not good) as I am on his checking and effort defensively. However, right now there is an opening in the middle that might be available with no further moves on Regier's part. The candidates would be our miscast LW from the Rock, Kevin Porter, the miscast W from Finland, maybe Ott and of course the potential rush-job from Russia.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
In my opinion, this board (and maybe Sabres fans in general) have given up on Adam way too fast. He definitely showed some scoring prowess at the start of the season. He got into the doghouse and didn't respond well, it happens.

To call him a career AHLer at this point is entirely premature.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:29 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
If they strike out on landing a center it really could be between Grigorenko and Adam in training camp. I just have so little confidence as him as an NHL center right now, but if his skating improved over the offseason his odds would be much better.
Unfortunately, he's said absolutely nothing about conditioning this off-season.
Seems like all he's doing is playing golf in Arizona.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:41 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Unfortunately, he's said absolutely nothing about conditioning this off-season.
Seems like all he's doing is playing golf in Arizona.
so because he plays golf and spends his off seasons in Arizona means he isnt training hard? Seems like many on this board are almost expecting/hoping for him not to exceed. You cant base someones life through what he says on twitter

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:

I have a VERY hard time seeing Adam as a center in the NHL. I think his "best" fit is secondary scoring winger. (and by best, I mean ceiling)

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:05 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I'm not even as down on his skating (which is not good) as I am on his checking and effort defensively. However, right now there is an opening in the middle that might be available with no further moves on Regier's part. The candidates would be our miscast LW from the Rock, Kevin Porter, the miscast W from Finland, maybe Ott and of course the potential rush-job from Russia.
imo, if his skating were better, he'd look better defensively too, just being able to get back to backcheck. Definitely needs to work on using his size more, but I think better skating should be first priority for him.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I have a VERY hard time seeing Adam as a center in the NHL. I think his "best" fit is secondary scoring winger. (and by best, I mean ceiling)
I can see Adam becoming a Matt Moulson type of player.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
What if it ended up like this (flip the order of the lines as seen fit):

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Adam-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

--Adam would be back with Pommer, which could help him out
--There would be a physical presence on each line, assuming Adam uses his size

Drawback is yet another young center, and faceoffs.
If the sabres lineup looks like this at the start of the year we are going to be in trouble. Regier has gotta be counting on signing or trading for another top 9 forward. If it so happens we don't sign or add another forward to the mix I'd rather use Grigorenko for the first 9 games or play Ott at center. Adam isn't an nhl center at this point in his career and I have my doubts he will ever be one. Let him start the year in Rochester and earn his callup.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Cappie2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
On the train to Mark Mancari-ville.
I guess Mancari-ville is in Rochester??

Cappie2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Adam will have to earn it. I think he has the skill and he's still just 22. Not ready to turn in on the guy yet.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

No....

Ron C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:41 PM
notHiro

Adam more than any other player has to earn his spot this year. Not just because of the way his season with the big club ended last year, but because of his comments and attitude when it happened.

notHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:42 PM
McTank

If no further moves are made, he has a shot

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
He doesn't skate well, doesn't hit, and isn't all that good defensively, so that pretty much leaves him out of 4th line talk unless he seriously invests in getting quicker AND in paying the physical price to earn the ice time. It doesn't look like he's in the mix for a center position and even on the wing, his options seem limited at the moment.
Add in that it seems that Ruff has lost any confidence in Adam for many of those reasons and I think the only way Adam sees time in Buffalo this season is if the team goes through another flurry of injuries at the same time - similar to what Mancari's situation is. As it looks right now, it would seem that Porter, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Ellis and Tropp are all ahead of Adam on the depth chart.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I agree.

Looking back it looks like it was too much too soon for him at the start of the year. Due to injuries to Roy/Hecht he started the year on the top line. He was playing great but we knew he was in over his head. We just didn't know how far he would come down. No one envisioned him as our #1 center coming into camp and he wouldn't have been but for the injuries. I was thinking/hoping he had a shot coming into camp at 3rd line center. Maybe centering the Ennis/Boyes line that Leino centered to start the year. The expectations on the kid would have been a lot lower as would the pressure. Who knows how things would have turned out for him if that was the case.

The organization needs to finally decide where the see him playing (Wing/center). If its wing I think he has a chance to develop into a poor man's Vanek. He certainly has the hands. While he may not be physical in terms of hitting and the like. He does have a willingness to play in traffic and go to the net.

EDIT: Basically they need to decide if they want to keep trying to develop him as a center going forward.
Maybe Adam becomes a poor-mans version of Holmstrom, and takes Vanek's place if he leaves in two years?

Der Jaeger is online now   Reply With Quote