HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do we need a veteran goalie?

Old
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Deemer

vCash: 500
Why do we need a veteran goalie?

All off-season I have heard Brian Burke say he needs a veteran goalie to help Reimer and Scrivens. I ask why not a young goaltender instead of a vet?

A young, relatively unproven goaltender would come much cheaper than a veteran would in a trade. A young goalie would also appear to fit in better as the team has mostly younger players. They would also have a lot more to prove in this situation being labelled as a #1 goalie. Tampa Bay and Columbus have gone this root this off-season so why not the Leafs?

Deemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:38 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Because we need a vetern who can step in and provide some steady goaltending.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Because the team fell apart when the goaltender's we had, who were two young goalies, started to suck. If we had a vet goalie who had been through a slump before, they would have been able to react better and maybe steal a win thus turning our misfortunes around, give the team playing in front of the crease a little more confidence and who knows, maybe we would have made the playoffs.

doesthis[glow]stuff[/glow][shadow]still[/shadow]work?

Last edited by Grant: 01-11-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:42 PM
darrylsittler27

Because Reimer may have a weak glove.

It may be injury or everyone figured him out.We don't know....

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

We have enough young and unproven goalies, why get another?

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Deemer

So hypothetically speaking let's say Florida ends up getting Lou and he's appointed the starter for the next few years. Jacob Markstrom demands a trade because he believes he is ready so the Panthers shop him. Would you not want the leafs to pick him up at a similar price to what Lindback went for?

Deemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:25 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Because the team fell apart when the goaltender's we had, who were two young goalies, started to suck. If we had a vet goalie who had been through a slump before, they would have been able to react better and maybe steal a win thus turning our misfortunes around, give the team playing in front of the crease a little more confidence and who knows, maybe we would have made the playoffs.
scrivens went through that last year in the AHL. Not saying that the skill between NHL and AHL is similar but the experience and mental fortitude of overcomming the slump is similar. Reimer and Scrivens is definitely not as risky as reimer and gustavsson, because Scriven's mental fortitude is known while gustavsson is consistently shaky/nervous. I think we'd want a vet as insurance, but it isn't a "need". What we need is a Number one goalie.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Pyromaniac3

Help mentor and take pressure off Reimer.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:33 PM
leafsfuture

Two reasons:

Firstly, because last year we went with 2 'relatively' unproven goalies and it was arguably the single biggest cause of our Feburary and March plunge.

Secondly and most importantly, even though Riemer's trouble's last year were probably for the better, and while Scrivens has potential to easily do better than the Monster, Burke cant afford to gamble on going into this season like we did last. If we dont make the playoffs next year, most (include Burke himself) would assume he is gone.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:37 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

(re)watch 2011-2012 season

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:39 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

how long till somebody makes a "Why Do We have To Win More Games?" thread?

you know its coming

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
how long till somebody makes a "Why Do We have To Win More Games?" thread?

you know its coming
It came out a week ago or something. Would you draft Mackinnon first overall or get in to playoffs and lose in 6 games?

Old
07-07-2012, 06:02 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

If Luongo or Backstrom doesn't happen this summer I can see them signing a guy like Auld or Conklin to have a veteran presence at training camp and creating more competition. Not that either of those guys would give the Leafs a better chance of winning, but it might push the kids a little more.

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:03 PM
FlyingLeafus

The "MUST ACQUIRE VET GOALIE" attitude is overblown. Vet goalies can fail just as hard as young ones. Young tandems can work, it IS a risk. But not as big a risk as people make it out to be.

FlyingLeafus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
The "MUST ACQUIRE VET GOALIE" attitude is overblown. Vet goalies can fail just as hard as young ones. Young tandems can work, it IS a risk. But not as big a risk as people make it out to be.
True but most vets can stand up and say "Listen I have been here before and he is what we got to do to try and get out of this". That is what the big problem was last season we went into a downward spiral and it was like no one stood up and tried to coax the team they just sat back and watched it crash and burn. Now all of this is based on my observations looking in so I can't speak for what was said behind doors but look at St.Louis a vet coach like Ken Hitchcock comes in with the added bonus of guys like Arnott and Langenbrunner along with Macdonald. All of those guys have experience in high pressure situations and they can help coax a team. That is why we need some vet experience. It does not have to be a goalie but I for one would of preferred it.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Help mentor and take pressure off Reimer.
Exactly.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Leaf For Life

do we really need anything? According to this board we don't need anything.

Leaf For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Ladybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
Scriven's mental fortitude is known while gustavsson is consistently shaky/nervous.
The funny thing is, when Gustavsson first came to Toronto, everyone was saying he'd do great here because he was so calm and confident, and after his great run in the SEL he'd easily be able to handle the pressures of being a Leaf. (The same sort of stuff was said about Reimer when he first came on the scene.)

I wouldn't be surprised if playing a full year behind the Leafs' defence- without some sort of legit veteran/starter to take the heat- turns Scrivens into a nervous wreck by the end of the season.

Ladybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:03 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemer View Post
All off-season I have heard Brian Burke say he needs a veteran goalie to help Reimer and Scrivens. I ask why not a young goaltender instead of a vet?

A young, relatively unproven goaltender would come much cheaper than a veteran would in a trade. A young goalie would also appear to fit in better as the team has mostly younger players. They would also have a lot more to prove in this situation being labelled as a #1 goalie. Tampa Bay and Columbus have gone this root this off-season so why not the Leafs?

We already have a couple of young relatively unproven goalies so why bother giving up an asset (or more than one asset) just to take on another one? Get a veteran who can provide a solid, stabilizing presence and who can mentor the young guys we do have for a couple of years until one of them is ready to step into the #1 role.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemer View Post

Bottom line is Burke realizes this upcoming seasons results will play heavily in his own future as Leafs GM.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Aplayaz2000

why get a veteran goalie for a non-veteran team?

Aplayaz2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
I think you answered your own question.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:10 PM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
Do you think the goalies we have are going to do anything different than they did last year? Reimer and Scrivens were both mediocre at best. Gustavsson was hot and cold. We need a goalie who can step in and stop the bleeding when our young guys choke. Which happened more often than not. That's where a veteran goalie may come in and help. But since most of them are gone I don't think it's gonna happen right now. Maybe later on in the year when we realize we need help in that area.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:31 PM
RogerRoeper*

Because we're stacked with young goalies. We need experience.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote