HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-07-2012, 10:12 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Dorsett? Lol that guy is a punching bag.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Corncob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Prust will have more fighting majors than Gomez will have points.
But will Gomez have more fighting majors than he has points?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
don't make the mistake of assuming that a subjective choice of statistical parameters gives you any kind of real insight into the player's overall value to his team.

I haven't watched enough of Columbus to comment on Dorsett, but from watching a fair amount of both Ottawa and New York, it's very fair to say that both Prust and Neil are the type of roster players who have a tangible impact on the emotional & energy levels of their teammates... can't quantify it statistically (or, finding the right parameters to do so has yet to be do as far as I know).

Neil, like Prust, isn't earning his contract based on points totals (nor PIM totals), his perceived value to the team goes well beyond surface statistics.

people can argue until their blue in the face that attitude/work ethic/character have no value or that they are overstated, as it must appear to those who haven't experienced competitive sports at the elite level yet consider themselves more aware of "what really matters" than people who live and work in that environment for most of their lives.

it's really as simple as this... when you are putting your body physically on the line, and trust with your co-workers is important, character absolutely matters. Trust is hard to build and easy to loose, a team that doesn't trust each other is at a huge disadvantage... character builds trust.
The matter is a simple ASSUMPTION people make about statistics: that they are comprehensive when they are most certainly not. How much action in a game does a goal measure? Perhaps about a sequence of 20 seconds in a game. Economists would know about externalities, things that don't get taken into account when looking at market prices. But yet the average person doesn't even have an inkling that externalities can and do matter at times.

The discounting of human interaction is in part due to people not having any experience in evaluating human psychology and in part because it isn't socially acceptable to value emotions other "soft" mental aspects due to the perception of them being irrational. If only people would get rid of the dualistic assumption about body and mind out of the matter and realize that emotions too are affected by biology and can affect you physically, maybe they'll wake up, but the majority of people are too stupid to figure it out.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:47 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Prust will have more fighting majors than Gomez will have points.
I will have more points than Gomez, and I'm not a pro hockey player.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Neil, like Prust, isn't earning his contract based on points totals (nor PIM totals), his perceived value to the team goes well beyond surface statistics.

people can argue until their blue in the face that attitude/work ethic/character have no value or that they are overstated, as it must appear to those who haven't experienced competitive sports at the elite level yet consider themselves more aware of "what really matters" than people who live and work in that environment for most of their lives.

it's really as simple as this... when you are putting your body physically on the line, and trust with your co-workers is important, character absolutely matters. Trust is hard to build and easy to loose, a team that doesn't trust each other is at a huge disadvantage... character builds trust.
These intangibles have to become tangible at some point. We now have people tracking shot differential when players are on and off ice, which zones players start in, what level of competition and teammates they are on the ice with, as well as the traditional hockey card stats. Even if the player's impact has more to do with his influence on others than his puck skills, that can be measured by his team's performance when he is on the ice. For example, we know that Ryan White has a more positive effect than Ben Maxwell ever did, and it has nothing to do with their respective puck skills. We have numbers that can tell us that White does a better job influencing Hab puck possession and zone time. Prust does fine by these numbers too, but not much better than White, Moen or Darche. Not enough to justify his new contract.

Unless your point is that the "trust" created by Prust's 12 minutes per game was partly responsible for Richards', Callahan's and Gaborik's high quality 20 minutes, even when Prust was not on the ice at the same time as the really good Rangers... in case, I would just say you're taking the Don Cherry narrative of the grinder being responsible for wins too far.

edit: BTW, I realize you (and others) are responding to my reply to a poster who brought up Prust's g-a-pts-pim totals. I don't actually believe these numbers are the best measure of a player like Prust's (or any player's, really) effect on play. I was just willing to debate on another poster's terms, as even by those standards Prust doesn't measure up to the contract. However, a non-scoring forward's impact should show up in Corsi, zone shift and scoring chance numbers, and the difficulty of his role should show up in zone starts, qualcomp and qualteam numbers.

Last edited by Roulin: 07-07-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
These intangibles have to become tangible at some point. We now have people tracking shot differential when players are on and off ice, which zones players start in, what level of competition and teammates they are on the ice with, as well as the traditional hockey card stats. Even if the player's impact has more to do with his influence on others than his puck skills, that can be measured by his team's performance when he is on the ice. For example, we know that Ryan White has a more positive effect than Ben Maxwell ever did, and it has nothing to do with their respective puck skills. We have numbers that can tell us that White does a better job influencing Hab puck possession and zone time. Prust does fine by these numbers too, but not much better than White, Moen or Darche. Not enough to justify his new contract.

Unless your point is that the "trust" created by Prust's 12 minutes per game was partly responsible for Richards', Callahan's and Gaborik's high quality 20 minutes, even when Prust was not on the ice at the same time as the really good Rangers... in case, I would just say you're taking the Don Cherry narrative of the grinder being responsible for wins too far.

edit: BTW, I realize you (and others) are responding to my reply to a poster who brought up Prust's g-a-pts-pim totals. I don't actually believe these numbers are the best measure of a player like Prust's (or any player's, really) effect on play. I was just willing to debate on another poster's terms, as even by those standards Prust doesn't measure up to the contract. However, a non-scoring forward's impact should show up in Corsi, zone shift and scoring chance numbers, and the difficulty of his role should show up in zone starts, qualcomp and qualteam numbers.
Indeed, it is the Cherry narrative: these grinders/fighters make their teammates feel more special, essentially, and 'protected', so that they can now go on the ice without fear, and finally do their job.

Of course, teams with significantly more toughness don't seem to have players with career years at any greater rate than teams without. Teams like Detroit have operated for years without a fighter period (nevermind a goon), and that hasn't prevented banner individual seasons.

Interestingly enough, the whole toughness narrative coincides with a blanket dismissal of anyone who questions that narrative. The obvious response being: anyone who doesn't agree with X (me) has obviously never played the game at a high level.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I think the bottom 6 will be fun to watch because it is filled with energy and enthusiasm. However, does it make the habs a better team? Who is going to score goals in this bottom 6? Eller won't have kostitsyn anymore (barring he signs with mtl again), moen can get you 10, maybe. I know Prust got 13 a few years ago, but you're dreaming if you think Prust can come close to matching that again. Armstrong has shown a scoring touch in the past, but his time in Toronto shows diminishing returns and a high risk for long term injury.

I like Prust, but I dont think our bottom 6 has a very good mixture... the type of mixture you need to be successful.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think the bottom 6 will be fun to watch because it is filled with energy and enthusiasm. However, does it make the habs a better team? Who is going to score goals in this bottom 6? Eller won't have kostitsyn anymore (barring he signs with mtl again), moen can get you 10, maybe. I know Prust got 13 a few years ago, but you're dreaming if you think Prust can come close to matching that again. Armstrong has shown a scoring touch in the past, but his time in Toronto shows diminishing returns and a high risk for long term injury.

I like Prust, but I dont think our bottom 6 has a very good mixture... the type of mixture you need to be successful.
I think the improvements on the bottom 6 will make this team a little easier to watch, as at least now they have a hard working, gritty, physical players so at least they will be tougher to play against.

If you are rebuilding and are going to struggle to make the playoffs, I'd rather sit tight and not throw money at hired guns only to take on more overbloated contracts. In 2 years the Habs will have Gomez, Kabs, Gio and Markov off the books which is currently 4 of our 6 biggest contracts/cap space. I'd rather see us build through the draft, and add hard working character players in the meantime to set a good example for the incoming rookies/prospects over the next few years.

I think management is sending a message, when they have a bottom 6 that could be made up of Moen, White, Prust, Armstrong, it's clear the Habs want to add hard working character guys. If they are going to miss the playoffs again, better to have guys like them then soft lazy players like Semin, etc.... that just tie up cap space down the road and aren't players you want to build your team around.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

How do you measure the impact of a guy who makes team meals more enjoyable?

How do you quantify the impact a 4th line grinder who outworks everyone in practice/camp while making peanuts, on a blue chip draft pick already earning more money?

Huge assumption, and false, that measuring on-ice impact gives one the full picture.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Indeed, it is the Cherry narrative: these grinders/fighters make their teammates feel more special, essentially, and 'protected', so that they can now go on the ice without fear, and finally do their job.

Of course, teams with significantly more toughness don't seem to have players with career years at any greater rate than teams without. Teams like Detroit have operated for years without a fighter period (nevermind a goon), and that hasn't prevented banner individual seasons.

Interestingly enough, the whole toughness narrative coincides with a blanket dismissal of anyone who questions that narrative. The obvious response being: anyone who doesn't agree with X (me) has obviously never played the game at a high level.
Who said it was about a fighter?

Just bc cherry oversimplifies things, doesn't justify going overboard the other way

Old
07-07-2012, 06:26 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

How do you quantify the impact a 4th line grinder who outworks everyone in practice/camp while making peanuts, on a blue chip draft pick already earning more money?

Huge assumption, and false, that measuring on-ice impact gives one the full picture.
Workforce "happiness" is something in which observation is difficult to do without asking the players in question through surveys or self-reports. And therein lies the problem. Players are very tight-lipped about what goes public and hence garnering evidence is difficult. Plus, sport psychology is still relatively new and hence a lot of things being studied are not quite conclusive yet.

Now, in a company, the "bottom line" would be what matters in making workers "happy", and yes the bottom line can be affected by addressing workers' needs. However, in hockey, there are many measures for the "bottom line", all of which can be interpreted ambiguously, and thus give an opening to those sophists who believe that stats alone can explain everything. These sophists are following the path of the behaviorists in psychology, believing that only what is observable--in fact, not even that, since stats do not keep all of the data you can see on video--is what can be "real".

Old
07-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

The biggest downfall of hockey fans today, with the availability and overuse of stats, is to downplay other elements of the game that can't be measured. Some will hide behind that reality by laughing it off, trying to ridicule those factors by putting down Don Cherry, others will simply ignore them. But because of it, those factors, key elements of the game, don't stop being true because of the head in the sand ostrich syndrome.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Roulin

Quote:

The cook and wait staff? Hey, if they make 2.5mil for making enjoyable meals, good for them! I'm just glad they don't count against the cap.

There are plenty of hardworking players who give their all every practice, who don't make enough of an impact during games to find jobs. I'm sure it would be fun to have Begin hanging around the team. But, again, he'll have to make an impact during games for me to want him taking up cap space.

Yeah, there are enough players capable of being a 12th/13th/14th forward, that I'm sure off ice behaviour matters. But when you're debating the merits of bringing in players making more than a couple million, most of that money should be going towards measurable performance, if you're planning on icing a good team.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Workforce "happiness" is something in which observation is difficult to do without asking the players in question through surveys or self-reports. And therein lies the problem. Players are very tight-lipped about what goes public and hence garnering evidence is difficult. Plus, sport psychology is still relatively new and hence a lot of things being studied are not quite conclusive yet.

Now, in a company, the "bottom line" would be what matters in making workers "happy", and yes the bottom line can be affected by addressing workers' needs. However, in hockey, there are many measures for the "bottom line", all of which can be interpreted ambiguously, and thus give an opening to those sophists who believe that stats alone can explain everything. These sophists are following the path of the behaviorists in psychology, believing that only what is observable--in fact, not even that, since stats do not keep all of the data you can see on video--is what can be "real".
How much cap space do you think Prust's contribution to workplace happiness is worth? Or how many wins/win shares can we expect from this improved happiness? And, how accurate do you think Habs management can possibly be in predicting that contribution?

Old
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think the improvements on the bottom 6 will make this team a little easier to watch, as at least now they have a hard working, gritty, physical players so at least they will be tougher to play against.

If you are rebuilding and are going to struggle to make the playoffs, I'd rather sit tight and not throw money at hired guns only to take on more overbloated contracts. In 2 years the Habs will have Gomez, Kabs, Gio and Markov off the books which is currently 4 of our 6 biggest contracts/cap space. I'd rather see us build through the draft, and add hard working character players in the meantime to set a good example for the incoming rookies/prospects over the next few years.

I think management is sending a message, when they have a bottom 6 that could be made up of Moen, White, Prust, Armstrong, it's clear the Habs want to add hard working character guys. If they are going to miss the playoffs again, better to have guys like them then soft lazy players like Semin, etc.... that just tie up cap space down the road and aren't players you want to build your team around.

I agree all around. I'm happy about the direction that the habs are taking, but its still a pretty huge work in progress. The mistakes that management has made in the past cannot be corrected overnight.

I'm just coming to terms that this team has a long ways to go... I just hate the fact that it had to come down to this slow process.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:27 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
How much cap space do you think Prust's contribution to workplace happiness is worth? Or how many wins/win shares can we expect from this improved happiness? And, how accurate do you think Habs management can possibly be in predicting that contribution?
About 100,000 to 200,000. 300,000 max. But see, if he's a problem, the action to take is simply not signing him at all.

I'd say he'd be good for 3-5 extra points based on improving workplace satisfaction, by serving as a catalyst to improve others' performance.

Prust, on the whole, when taking account his penalty killing, willingness to scrap, and being a good forechecker who can provide some supplementary scoring, might assist in acquiring 10 extra points.

As I see it, most of Prust's overpayment is due to teams simply having more money to toss around and hence can "overpay" without large penalty. Plus, Montreal has to sweeten the deal moreso than other team because the player is seeing less after-tax income there than elsewhere.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
At worst, he will certainly give us more moral victories.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Alvvays
Marle **3

vCash: 50
Prust is the epitome of a cliched 4th line player.

It will be impossible for any of you to hate him.

07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post

Oh, ye of little faith. This is the habs board.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Oh, ye of little faith. This is the habs board.
He's one of my favourite players in the draft. I'd be okay with him at #3 if Galchenyuk was taken.

Last edited by Frozenice: 07-07-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:08 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

It will be very possible for some on this board to hate him.

"Can't play hockey"
"Just a goon"
"No skillz"

Paraphrased cliches of 4th liners I've heard from fellas on these boards. Prust very well could be the good PKer he is, forecheck well, score 20 points, and he'd still be just as bad as Carcillo in the minds of some.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:

"Challenge accepted."

~Habs board

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post

very well explained... but those dogmatic about statistics, like religion, leave very little room for intelligent discussion.

Quote:
The cook and wait staff? Hey, if they make 2.5mil for making enjoyable meals, good for them! I'm just glad they don't count against the cap.

There are plenty of hardworking players who give their all every practice, who don't make enough of an impact during games to find jobs. I'm sure it would be fun to have Begin hanging around the team. But, again, he'll have to make an impact during games for me to want him taking up cap space.

Yeah, there are enough players capable of being a 12th/13th/14th forward, that I'm sure off ice behaviour matters. But when you're debating the merits of bringing in players making more than a couple million, most of that money should be going towards measurable performance, if you're planning on icing a good team.
in a perfect, EAsports-like, world, you can build a roster made up of only the best production/effectiveness per dollar that you can find.

I don't think anyone has made a strong argument that Prust @ 2.5M$ is a "great" contract. We paid a premium, this much is a given wether or not you approve of the signing.

but that's the reality of the NHL. You don't successfully build a team by simply collecting ONLY the best contracts for each role you need on the team. You successfully build a team by putting together an effective roster under the cap.

My point, quite simply, is that the new leadership in our organization reviewed our situation, and decided that the attitude/character of the roster was an important element missing/needing change. Based on that assessment, they've targeted certain players, and been willing to pay a premium to get them.

It may fail. It may turn out to be a mistake. But no honest critique of their approach can ignore the reality that the Prust (or Bouillion) decisions are of a low risk nature. If Prust ends up a mistake, dealing with his 2.5M$ cap hit is FAR FAR FAR easier to manage than the 3.8 (spacek), 6 (Cammalleri), or 7.4 (Gomez) we've seen blow up in our face recently.

2.5M$... on a 70M$ cap. Is it a risk to pay Prust that much. YES. He will have to be the best version of what he has been as a pro (which he's only been in 2 seasons... though the 2 most recent), and perhaps even improve on that, to be "good value".

but even if he isn't "good value" at that cap hit, unlike Cammy, Spacek, or Gomez, even if he doesn't fully deliver in on-ice effectiveness, everything we've seen/heard about his impact on a team points to a personality that can/will have a positive effect even if his minutes drop from 11-12min/night to 9-10min/night.

Low risk... that's what 2.5M$ is in a 70M$ cap environment.

are there any other 3rd/4th line players in the league that could bring what he will/should bring to the organization at a smaller cap hit... I'm SURE of it.

are there any other that we had any chance of adding to our roster at LESS of a risk than the 4 yr/2.5M$ contract we gave prust? I'm SURE there weren't.

I'm generally not a fan of overpaying on the UFA market to fill roster needs... much prefer developing internally, or strategically targeting players via trade.

but when you can add a key roster piece at a cap hit that presents little/no risk, you do it.

argue/disagree about the philosophy/plan that Bergie is using...
complain if/when he makes moves that aren't consistent with his stated plan...

but to complain about a cap hit that is 500-750k above value, on a move that is self-explanatory given his stated objectives... that just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

how often did we hear gainey/gauthier kool-aid drinkers trying to argue that Gomez was a "need", so his cap hit was irrelevant???

yet some of those same posters are now complaining that Prust's 2.5M$ is a problem, without even considering, let alone acknowledging, the positive impact he "will" bring (or the positive impact management thinks he will bring... since right now, none of us know how good/bad he will be for us).

Old
07-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

We have people in this fan base who lose consciousness at the sight of blood and need therapy when witnessing any kind of violence...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
very well explained... but those dogmatic about statistics, like religion, leave very little room for intelligent discussion.

in a perfect, EAsports-like, world, you can build a roster made up of only the best production/effectiveness per dollar that you can find.

I don't think anyone has made a strong argument that Prust @ 2.5M$ is a "great" contract. We paid a premium, this much is a given wether or not you approve of the signing.

but that's the reality of the NHL. You don't successfully build a team by simply collecting ONLY the best contracts for each role you need on the team. You successfully build a team by putting together an effective roster under the cap.

My point, quite simply, is that the new leadership in our organization reviewed our situation, and decided that the attitude/character of the roster was an important element missing/needing change. Based on that assessment, they've targeted certain players, and been willing to pay a premium to get them.

It may fail. It may turn out to be a mistake. But no honest critique of their approach can ignore the reality that the Prust (or Bouillion) decisions are of a low risk nature. If Prust ends up a mistake, dealing with his 2.5M$ cap hit is FAR FAR FAR easier to manage than the 3.8 (spacek), 6 (Cammalleri), or 7.4 (Gomez) we've seen blow up in our face recently.

2.5M$... on a 70M$ cap. Is it a risk to pay Prust that much. YES. He will have to be the best version of what he has been as a pro (which he's only been in 2 seasons... though the 2 most recent), and perhaps even improve on that, to be "good value".

but even if he isn't "good value" at that cap hit, unlike Cammy, Spacek, or Gomez, even if he doesn't fully deliver in on-ice effectiveness, everything we've seen/heard about his impact on a team points to a personality that can/will have a positive effect even if his minutes drop from 11-12min/night to 9-10min/night.

Low risk... that's what 2.5M$ is in a 70M$ cap environment.

are there any other 3rd/4th line players in the league that could bring what he will/should bring to the organization at a smaller cap hit... I'm SURE of it.

are there any other that we had any chance of adding to our roster at LESS of a risk than the 4 yr/2.5M$ contract we gave prust? I'm SURE there weren't.

I'm generally not a fan of overpaying on the UFA market to fill roster needs... much prefer developing internally, or strategically targeting players via trade.

but when you can add a key roster piece at a cap hit that presents little/no risk, you do it.

argue/disagree about the philosophy/plan that Bergie is using...
complain if/when he makes moves that aren't consistent with his stated plan...

but to complain about a cap hit that is 500-750k above value, on a move that is self-explanatory given his stated objectives... that just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

how often did we hear gainey/gauthier kool-aid drinkers trying to argue that Gomez was a "need", so his cap hit was irrelevant???

yet some of those same posters are now complaining that Prust's 2.5M$ is a problem, without even considering, let alone acknowledging, the positive impact he "will" bring (or the positive impact management thinks he will bring... since right now, none of us know how good/bad he will be for us).
Love it!

Excellent post.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote