Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Brian Connelly

Old
07-06-2012, 10:00 PM
flames4eva

vCash: 500
Brian Connelly

He signed in Tampa, but why didnt we sign this guy? hes only 26/27 and was one of the top 5 d in the AHL.

flames4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:09 PM
tfong

Scouting staff probably didn't think he was going to get better or be an upgrade over what we have.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:14 PM
FlamesFan18

vCash: 50
Minnesota signed him. i wish we did sign him but oh well.

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:15 AM
flames4eva

Oh. It said on the free agent signing thread that he signed in tampa. my mistake.
He is way better than Carson and piskula..

flames4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:01 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames4eva View Post
Oh. It said on the free agent signing thread that he signed in tampa. my mistake.
He is way better than Carson and piskula..
He is indeed but since he is a small defenseman that is mostly 1 dimensional (offensive) and he is behind

Jbo
Gio
Wideman
Brodie(may be on par but Brodie is much younger)
Babchuck

offensively there simply is no room for him, as it is one of those 5 will not even get regular pp time.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:22 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
We're so weak a D that we should've signed him. In hindsight, we should've taken a pick for Morrisson.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
were at waht 46 contracts? id rather sign college FA's

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:03 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
48 after Irving is signed. So, it's better to leave some spots for possible waiver pick-ups and so.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Meh. From what I've heard, he's the lesser of him and Clay Wilson, not to mention the many other NHL proven D he's behind. And he'd be in the way of some prospects that haven't had a chance (Breen, Carson, maybe Lamb?).

Can only carry so many contracts at once and it's nice to have space for young FAs or roster fillers during the season.

I don't mind cutting him loose, decisions like these have to be made some times..

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
We're so weak a D that we should've signed him. In hindsight, we should've taken a pick for Morrisson.
Speaking of hindsight people here said at the time of the trade that acquiring Connelly was a part of whatever rebuilding Uncle Feaster was going to do. It seems to have worked out well.

Getting a pick for Morrison would have been better but there you go. I guess giving out players for free is how this team is going to roll. Life in Uncle Feaster's world.

So much better than Sutter's...

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:58 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Perhaps no one offered a pick? I wish we would have gotten a pick but for all we know that was the best thing offered.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Speaking of hindsight people here said at the time of the trade that acquiring Connelly was a part of whatever rebuilding Uncle Feaster was going to do. It seems to have worked out well.

Getting a pick for Morrison would have been better but there you go. I guess giving out players for free is how this team is going to roll. Life in Uncle Feaster's world.

So much better than Sutter's...
well i dont think that trade made us worse at all... i believe that trade was for morrison... i think feaster did a nice thing

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Volica

This is fine by me. I don't see this guy ever being able to produce like he did in the ahl in the big leagues.

For all you guys complaining about giving Morrison away for "free" keep in mind feaster has to manage two teams, and he thought bringing in this guy would help Abby get into the playoffs as well as go deep. It was rental player for rental player... Unsure if people actually understand Abby isn't just the farm team... It's also a hockey team trying to win.

We have a log jam at the 6-7 role anyways at the NHL level, he'd be playing in the ahl for years to come.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
This is fine by me. I don't see this guy ever being able to produce like he did in the ahl in the big leagues.

For all you guys complaining about giving Morrison away for "free" keep in mind feaster has to manage two teams, and he thought bringing in this guy would help Abby get into the playoffs as well as go deep. It was rental player for rental player... Unsure if people actually understand Abby isn't just the farm team... It's also a hockey team trying to win.

We have a log jam at the 6-7 role anyways at the NHL level, he'd be playing in the ahl for years to come.
This. People sound like idiotic facebook fans when they act like the farm team doesn't matter at all. A GM takes care of two teams. Connelly was brought in to help Abby.

Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:19 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
46 contracts eh? Well there's a lot of amateur tryouts at our development camp. Plus we should have a spot open for waiver pickups. And maybe have a spot open for the trade deadline where we could absorb an extra player to get a deal done.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Obviously Connelly wasn't resigned because Ellis will be joining the Flames soon..

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:54 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
This was 100% expected from my standpoint.

He found himself behind T.J. Brodie, Derek Smith, Anton Babchuk, and Clay Wilson on the depth charts in terms of OFD. Realistically he had no opportunity here to make the team.

Connelly was clearly not going to sign an AHL contract, and Calgary was not in the position to offer him one of the few remaining spots they have open.

On a side note, Turner Elson will most likely be returning to the Rebels as an overager, so his contract will not count against the 50 player limit by the time the season starts. Although I suppose he could go to the ECHL.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote