HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best NHL/Sports City

Old
07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Hockey arenas and NFL stadiums aren't suppose to be "nice". If you compare Consol or Heinz to other stadiums I think they're just as good or maybe slightly better.

the hell? a nice building that is tailored towards the home team is a great thing, no matter where it is, in what sport.

ask ranger fans if they enjoy games @ msg more now or a year ago and see what kind of response you get. devils fans too, of course. the rock is an AMAZING building for hockey when it has a good crowd.

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Megadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
New York City. puts shame on all these other large cities. Only city that sells out even during terrible years.
Yep. Edmonton and Toronto have been awesome the last couple of years, haven't they?

Quote:
No way. The Flyers, Union, and Sixers aren't represented well. They only care about the Phillies when they're good and the Iggles.
The Flyers are well represented. Also, in what cities is the local MLS team as cared about as the other major sports teams?

Megadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Thats not true at all, especially considering half of MSG is Corporate Seating. The Yankees, Rangers and Giants have some of the weakest sellout crowds Ive been to, especially for such a huge market.

Knicks sellouts when theyre good, are by far the best crowd in the NBA. Jets fans make WAY more noise than Giants fans do (Im fan of neither team. Raiders..) and Ive never been to an Islander game so I cant speak for that.

Devils of course, mostly weak crowds throughout the season except for division games. The Nets were selling tix for like...$2 so yeah..

The NY Metro Area really doesnt live up to the hype of the marketplace. A massve amount of fairweather fashion-fans (half those yankee hats are just for style).

And it might bother NY/NJ folks to hear this, but Philly is a WAAAAY better sports town than New York is. Its not even close, really.
http://rangers.nhl.com/v2/ext/fancam/index.htm

Holy exaggeration.

You also say Philly is a better sports town? They completely ignored the Phillies when they sucked.

07-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
http://rangers.nhl.com/v2/ext/fancam/index.htm

Holy exaggeration.

You also say Philly is a better sports town? They completely ignored the Phillies when they sucked.
And the Yankees are on top of the AL and their attendance is garbage right now

and I cant view that Ranger fancam thing, whatever it is.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Azkals

Quote:

the hell? a nice building that is tailored towards the home team is a great thing, no matter where it is, in what sport.

ask ranger fans if they enjoy games @ msg more now or a year ago and see what kind of response you get.
I agree. I think you're not understanding what I'm trying to say.

I was responding to someone who was complaining about Consol and Heinz. If you've been to PNC Park you'd know that PNC is a true "Pittsburgh" stadium. The ballpark is nice and the view of the city in the background makes it really special. Unlike PNC, which is an open stadium, Consol is a closed arena and Heinz is essentially a closed stadium with no roof and a small opening on the south end.

Consol is one of the newer arenas and has all the amenities/technology an arena can have. It's "nice". Heinz is about ten years old and it too has the basics of any ten year old stadium. Both Three Rivers and the Igloo both had a Pittsburgh feel because they've been around for decades and had a nostalgia factor surrounding both. Consol and Heinz just don't have the atmosphere like their past stadiums. It's hard for football stadiums and arenas to have a hometown feel if they're brand new. That's why I said football stadiums nd arenas aren't supposed to be "nice". Maybe it was just a poor choice of words on my part.

Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
And the Yankees are on top of the AL and their attendance is garbage right now

and I cant view that Ranger fancam thing, whatever it is.
The Yankees are third in the league in attendance..

The fancam I posted disproves your statement that 50% of the people at Ranger games are corporate seating.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:24 PM
HookeyPlayer

Toronto has potential

Jays:
Toronto Blue Jays became the first team in baseball history to draw 4 million mark in attendance in 1991 season. (not bad for a Canadian team)

Raptors:
Up there amongst valuable franchises in the NBA from Forbes, and I expect them to move on up as there are smaller franchises like Phoenix ahead of them (they just lost Nash).
Remember a Canadian invented Basketball.

Leafs:
Not much needs to be said

Last edited by HookeyPlayer: 07-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.
HookeyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The Yankees are third in the league in attendance..

The fancam I posted disproves your statement that 50% of the people at Ranger games are corporate seating.
yankees attendance is down 4% from last year. there are only 5 or 6 teams in mlb that actually draw anywhere close to capacity on a routine basis, when you take that into consideration with how well the team is playing, its pretty bad. the yanks should always be number 1. theyre the canadiens, theyre manchester united.

Disproves it how? Youre gonna show me one of the few instances where the lower bowl actually has alot of people wearing rangers gear?

Old
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Disproves it how? Youre gonna show me one of the few instances where the lower bowl actually has alot of people wearing rangers gear?
Well you're the one who never proved what you said.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
bp spec

Philly is one, obviously NY too. Boston, Montreal, Pittsburgh...

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Warrant*

Twin Cities
Brand new Hockey venue (well not brand new but still fairly new can't believe its been 12 years already)
Brand new baseball stadium
Soon to be brand new football stadium
Target Center will be oldest building still in use and its pretty new in its own right.

Warrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadelphia View Post
The Flyers are well represented. Also, in what cities is the local MLS team as cared about as the other major sports teams?
Flyers have pretty weak TV ratings compared to other NHL cities like Buffalo, Boston, Detroit, or Pittsburgh. Flyers might be well represented compared to southern NHL teams, but they're average at best.

MLS teams are well represented in Portland, Seattle, and LA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sscwZ8_JWo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlMcGOX5Ixc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai1qsbsNock

Last edited by Azkals: 07-07-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Chicago is in there too.
Agreed - for so much more than sports too.

*/ tip of the cap /*

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 106
Denver deserves some props too imo, if for nothing more than sheer rabidity.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I agree. I think you're not understanding what I'm trying to say.

I was responding to someone who was complaining about Consol and Heinz. If you've been to PNC Park you'd know that PNC is a true "Pittsburgh" stadium. The ballpark is nice and the view of the city in the background makes it really special. Unlike PNC, which is an open stadium, Consol is a closed arena and Heinz is essentially a closed stadium with no roof and a small opening on the south end.

Consol is one of the newer arenas and has all the amenities/technology an arena can have. It's "nice". Heinz is about ten years old and it too has the basics of any ten year old stadium. Both Three Rivers and the Igloo both had a Pittsburgh feel because they've been around for decades and had a nostalgia factor surrounding both. Consol and Heinz just don't have the atmosphere like their past stadiums. It's hard for football stadiums and arenas to have a hometown feel if they're brand new. That's why I said football stadiums nd arenas aren't supposed to be "nice". Maybe it was just a poor choice of words on my part.
I wasn't complaining. I said they are nice. just not PNC Park nice. And ya, nice isn't the right word. They are technically speaking very nice arenas. Just don't stand out like PNC does. Like I said, Heinz just annoys me because it would be an awesome view of the city if it was just turned at a different angle

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Bosswally

for NHL city I would say Winnipeg, I've been to a couple sabres games in montreal and while the fans are loud and passionate they just seem too hostile, now i havent been to a winnipeg game yet but between what Ive heard from other people and from what ive seen on tv the fans are passinate and loud but you dont feel like your going to get jumped after the game either.

all that said one of the most fun things you can experience is a Leafs-Sabres game in Buffalo, the crowd splits 50/50 and there is just an amazing back and forth between the fans, the 6-5 ot game at the end of last season was just awesome

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Agreed - for so much more than sports too.

*/ tip of the cap /*
Agreed. Great city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Denver deserves some props too imo, if for nothing more than sheer rabidity.
Denver is great for the simple fact they support everything. No other market its size can say that.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:57 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold View Post
Boston- Fenway Park is the best thing on the face of this earth, besides guacamole.
The rest of the country (er world) is sick of having the Red Sox and their Park shoved in our faces. You won your World Series, your curse is over, now no one cares, ok?

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:28 PM
VT Isles Fan

For NHL city, I'd have to go with Montreal; for overall sports city, NYC would be tops in my book.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Have you not paid attention to Toronto for 5+ years?
Hell, the Leafs sold-out during the Ballard years every night.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:51 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Whole sections of MLG were empty from 1985-1990.

Toronto is a mediocre sports city for its size.
This is completely untrue.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosswally View Post
for NHL city I would say Winnipeg, I've been to a couple sabres games in montreal and while the fans are loud and passionate they just seem too hostile, now i havent been to a winnipeg game yet but between what Ive heard from other people and from what ive seen on tv the fans are passinate and loud but you dont feel like your going to get jumped after the game either.

all that said one of the most fun things you can experience is a Leafs-Sabres game in Buffalo, the crowd splits 50/50 and there is just an amazing back and forth between the fans, the 6-5 ot game at the end of last season was just awesome
Let's see in 5 years how Winnipeg is. They're in the Honeymoon stage now. You can't call them the best hockey fans based on this.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This is completely untrue.
Are you kidding? The Leafs had walk up tickets minutes before game time back then.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:10 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Are you kidding? The Leafs had walk up tickets minutes before game time back then.
The Leafs sold-out every single game from 1985-1990.

And besides, would anyone blame them if they didn't? Ballard was the worst owner in NHL history-if not sports history.

Toronto is an amazing hockey city. More loyalty to their franchise than any sports city ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_Leaf_Gardens

Harold Ballard takes control: 19721990

The Leafs continued to sell out every game through the Ballard era, even as the team's performance went into steep decline

Old
07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Boston, nuff said.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote