HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Simmonds

Old
07-07-2012, 12:36 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Wayne Simmonds

Anybody have any inside info on Wayne Simmonds and whether he is working out with anyone getting ready for the up coming season....Would like to see him add a few pounds and get himself in the best shape of his young career....He is capable of even a better year than he had last season in my view, and last season was his career best.....I think he was a little banged during the Jersey series, i noticed he was not going into the corners with his usual mo-jo.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-13-2013 at 06:33 PM.
SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:17 PM
thelos
Bunk

I think he had a broken finger, didn't he?

Simmonds had a great year, but it was still inconsistent. If he can improve his consistency, he could have an even better year next year.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:17 PM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

If Simmer put on 15-20lbs of muscle my lawd that guy would be an absolute beast!!!! I hope he puts on some size this summer, it would be awesome to see him be more consistant this year

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:47 PM
RoDu

I just wish he'd stop trying to beat guys one on one

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:54 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I just wish he'd stop trying to beat guys one on one
Yeah, he really needs to limit his stick-handling to a minimum.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Once he grows into his frame, he won't be trying to stick handle his way around them. He'll just go through them. People may laugh at me, but when Simmonds hits the 215 pound mark, he's going to be a beast and run people over. He's also going to get top six time as well as first time power play time. There's no reason to believe he won't pop 40 in a season soon.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Even if he is just 210 the guy will be a bull. Look how strong this guy is at 190. Throwing guys around. On wikipedia they have him listed at 209 but there is no way he is 209 last season.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
bp spec

Saw him for the first time without gear when watching Road to the Winter Classic. It was REALLY surprising how skinny he was. I could never guess that by watching him on the ice, because he's incredibly strong and plays real hard. I'm sitting here smiling when thinking about what he'll be capable of when he put on 20-30lbs!

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
He doesn't even look 190 honestly. He's a twig.

I'd imagine it's hard for someone with that build to keep a lot of muscle on their frame over the course of a season. I bet he loses 5-10 pounds every year and has to spend a month getting it back every off season. Maybe when he hits his mid twenties it'll be easier for him to keep on weight.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He doesn't even look 190 honestly. He's a twig.

I'd imagine it's hard for someone with that build to keep a lot of muscle on their frame over the course of a season. I bet he loses 5-10 pounds every year and has to spend a month getting it back every off season. Maybe when he hits his mid twenties it'll be easier for him to keep on weight.

183 is the number I saw somewhere. He has the legs of an ostrich.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Bryzard of Oz

In a couple weeks Drew Doughty is having his softball tournament fundraiser in London. Rinaldo and Simmer are playing so I'm debating driving down to see if I can snag an autograph or something. See if twigs has bulked up and knocks a couple out of the park

Bryzard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:25 PM
FlyersFan61290

I don't think simmonds will ever be more then 200lbs based on his build. At that weight he would still be a monster considering what he can do now and that 10-15 lbs shouldn't slow him down too much either.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Damaged Goods

Wayne Simmonds in gym shorts:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=0&id=174115

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
hXc Chris

Wow I cant believe he can even play professional hockey with those frail ass legs. Well now I guess I know why the concussion wasnt so bad for Giroux, mustve felt like getting hit with a twizzler at high speed lol

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:18 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

you can't expect players to just put on weight once their in their 20s and not expect it to effect their game. Simmonds won't be adding much muscle at all because he's at the weight that he feels most comfortable playing at

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj8812 View Post
you can't expect players to just put on weight once their in their 20s and not expect it to effect their game. Simmonds won't be adding much muscle at all because he's at the weight that he feels most comfortable playing at
+1000

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:21 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzard of Oz View Post
In a couple weeks Drew Doughty is having his softball tournament fundraiser in London. Rinaldo and Simmer are playing so I'm debating driving down to see if I can snag an autograph or something. See if twigs has bulked up and knocks a couple out of the park
The most important thing that needs to be said is

DOUGHTY FACEEEEE!!!!!

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Fropitar

This thread makes me sad. I miss Wayne. :/

Wayne is just a lengthy/skinny guy. No matter how hard he tries, I bet he doesn't put weight on until his late 20's or early 30's.

Fropitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I'm surprised people are surprised he's that skinny, just look at him on the ice, he looks like a scarecrow.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
It would be one thing if he lost weight because he didn't like playing heavier. He just hasn't ever been bigger than he is now, so there's no way to say whether he likes playing with more muscle or not.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:08 AM
ORYX

I can't see Simmonds adding 10 lbs of muscle. The guy is lean as can be, and a bean pole. Its the way he is built.

Now for someone with the chicken legs he has, he is strong on the skates.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Once he grows into his frame, he won't be trying to stick handle his way around them. He'll just go through them. People may laugh at me, but when Simmonds hits the 215 pound mark, he's going to be a beast and run people over. He's also going to get top six time as well as first time power play time. There's no reason to believe he won't pop 40 in a season soon.
I highly doubt Wayne Simmonds will hit the 215 mark until he starts getting a bit older and his metabolism slows down a bit. If he does gain the weight, I expect it would affect his speed quite a bit. Have you seen Wayne's calves, or his upper body with his shirt off? He's got chicken legs and he looks like he's got 2% body fat. I think he's just a "hard-gainer," meaning he has difficulty putting on mass. I don't think it's a big problem because he is clearly very strong already. It's just the body type he has. I bet Simmonds adds a lot of muscle (7-10lbs.) in the offseason and loses most of it during the course of the year. I'm not an expert, but I have a similar body type and even when I add weight, I always lose it during the hockey season (got the skinny calves too).

Whatever the case may be, I don't think we need Simmonds to be a 40-goal scorer. I think if he can put up 25 goals consistently from year to year, that would be great for us.

Quote:
I can't see Simmonds adding 10 lbs of muscle. The guy is lean as can be, and a bean pole. Its the way he is built.

Now for someone with the chicken legs he has, he is strong on the skates.
I didn't read this until after I posted, but it sounds like we agree...right down to the chicken legs.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
There's no reason to believe he won't pop 40 in a season soon.
Not sure how you figure that a kid who has never come close to 40 goals in a season can be reasonably expected to hit that mark. He had 33 in the OHL as a 19 year old, the next closest was this past season with 28.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:40 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Not sure how you figure that a kid who has never come close to 40 goals in a season can be reasonably expected to hit that mark. He had 33 in the OHL as a 19 year old, the next closest was this past season with 28.
Yeah let's aim for 30 first

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
He predicted that Giroux ( who was an offensive Dynamo at the time) would be a top 5 player in the league once upon a time.

But to put that into perspective, he believes that Simmonds is a 40 goal scorer and that Akeson is an Adam Oates clone.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote