HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 09:10 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
On a more realistic note, Since I am very doubtful the Habs will have another disastrous season, I am looking for the Canadiens to draft quebec born, Anthony Duclair.

He is already being ranked in the top 10, currently playing in the QMJHL with the Remparts under Patrick Roy, and alongside Mikhail Grigorenko. He is someone who I've played with on the School team (he is younger so was only at practice together) but has definitely got a tremendous shot and good set of hands.

This season he tallied 66 points in 63 games played (33G and 31A) as a Rookie. However, his size is a concern. As of right now, he is listed as 5"11, 159 pounds but that seems like a very generous 5"11.

Why I mentioned realistic is because I rank the Montreal Canadiens to finish 5th or 6th in the eastern conference, and I do think he will slide, as do most players coming from the Q, especially with his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pj4b...eature=related
He's at 177 lbs now.

As for Drouin, I'd like the Moose to move him back at C. I believe his game is more suited for that position.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:22 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Incredible playmaker. The kid can score, he is just not a sniper. He will get his goals off give-and-go plays or by using his hands in tight. Or by getting his shot through traffic.

I'm gonna be bandwagoning him all season long if we aren't in range of MacKinnon or Jones. Lindholm or Barkov are my other favorites.
Do you like Erne?

Old
07-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Takashi

How many players in the 2013 draft, would have been taken higher than galchenyuk if they were in the 2012 draft?

Old
07-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
How many players in the 2013 draft, would have been taken higher than galchenyuk if they were in the 2012 draft?
Way too early to tell...

Old
07-07-2012, 10:38 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Do you like Erne?
Erne's a solid power forward, however with Homegrown talents such as Drouin, Duclair and last but not least, Jordan Subban, I don't see them going for Erne.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Way too early to tell...
Then who is better than galchenyuk when he was 16 years old?

Old
07-07-2012, 10:50 PM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Besides Jones and Mackinnon, no one. Shinkaruk has better numbers, but hes a 5"10 winger, and those are a dime a dozen, so I would take Gally over Shinkaruk any day.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:03 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Erne's a solid power forward, however with Homegrown talents such as Drouin, Duclair and last but not least, Jordan Subban, I don't see them going for Erne.
But... but... but... he's gonna speak french!

Old
07-07-2012, 11:19 PM
NotProkofievian

As for 2nd rounders, if Alex Wennberg doesn't plow his way into the first round, I'd really like to pick him up. He was excellent at the U18 this year playing with Collberg, and E. Lindholm I believe it was.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:48 PM
le_sean

Quote:
BPA, not BQPA.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:08 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Drafting him would make us the best defensive team (with the most depth) in the league in a couple of years. Jones and Subban could very well be the next Weber/Suter duo. That would be amazing!!

Subban-Jones
Tinordi-Beaulieu
Ellis-Thrower

Although I would rather add another forward, preferably a center (Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan) and continue building our future forward core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Rather have MacKinnon than Jones but would be ecstatic with either one of them. Franchise is renewed if we get one of them.
Quote:
Do. not. want.

Let's target Drouin. I can get behind this kid. Unreal vision. He is elusive. He is a big game player. He has an underrated shot. He really understands the game and knows how to make players around him better. He's french too, which is a double-whammy.

He will likely be the best french player out of the Q in quite some time (Giroux is franco-ontarian), I would think you'd have to go back as far as Letang.
Quote:
The Habs can assure themselves their 25th Stanley Cup by finding a way to draft Seth Jones and adding him to the deep mix of defencemen already in their system.To have their 4th dynasty in this coming decade it becomes a little trickier.Having such a superb draft in 2012 drafting the best player in Alex Galchenyuk was gutsy after his knee injury,but to be fortunate enough to have Sebastion Collberg fall to them at the 33rd pick,what can I say.They are lucky too,the top sniper in the entire draft . Next Dalton Thrower is available when they choose the 51st pick,arguably one of the best Dmen in a draft full of Dmen,definitely one of the toughest.Now these may seem like the rantings of a Hab fan,they are but never the less true.With the shrewdness of the famous Sammy Pollock,the Habs Dojo of Drafts Trevor Timmins has plucked plums out each year.Carey Price,goalie of the future PK Subban in another year of the defencemen @45th overall same draft Max Pacioretty of the famed non hit by Chara into the Stanchion,remember now?@22nd.Add Lars Eller traded for J.Halak by St. Louis Blues and two more shrewd draft picks the Little General Andrei Markov-Russian Wizard on Defence and Tomas Plekanec the perrenial Selke trophy candidate. These are the "Core Players"that will soon be joined( 2-3 yrs )by another platoon of draft picks by TT. Seth Jones if the Habs manage to somehow draft him and let's say Max Domi (2013) and Sam Rinehart (2014) the Montreal Canadiens could conceivably have the makings of their 4th Stanley Cup Dynasty after a 20 year vanishing act that Houdini couldn't duplicate.Marc Bergevin (New GM) has put together a management team that is leading the Habs back to the Glory Days of Old and we the fans couldn't be happier.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:14 AM
thomast

Quote:
Barkov was better and more compete player at ivan hlinka at the age of 15 when Galchenyuk was 17. Barkov shut him down and made him look below average player when they was matched against and in the defensive zone Galchenyuk couldn't so anything against Barkov. Made Galchenyuk look frustrated. Barkov was also way better than gally at that tournament. I would take Barkov pretty easily without bias. I think that Barkov is very underrated because he is european. He's right there with MacKinnon and Jones. Galchenyuk might have more WOW-factor in his game and is flashier but i would build team around Barkov if i had to choose between these 2.

Last edited by thomast: 07-08-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old
07-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Fozz

Quote:

He will likely be the best french player out of the Q in quite some time (Giroux is franco-ontarian), I would think you'd have to go back as far as Letang.
Huh, what? Giroux being born in Ontario makes him none-French? I don't follow you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
As for 2nd rounders, if Alex Wennberg doesn't plow his way into the first round, I'd really like to pick him up. He was excellent at the U18 this year playing with Collberg, and E. Lindholm I believe it was.
Sticking with the "French players out of the Q theme", 2 guys I like if they ever slip out of the first round are William Carrier and Anthony Mantha. I love Mantha's game and I predict he'll have a meteoric rise through the rankings next season.

Last edited by Fozz: 07-08-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old
07-08-2012, 07:40 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
BPA, not BQPA.
If only that was the way it worked over here in MTL, but it doesn't. Just remember Louie Leblanc, was most definitely not BPA. Right after him was Chris Kreider a 6"3 CENTER!

Old
07-08-2012, 07:55 AM
hockey365

Quote:
Besides Jones and Mackinnon, no one. Shinkaruk has better numbers, but hes a 5"10 winger, and those are a dime a dozen, so I would take Gally over Shinkaruk any day.
I didn't see galchenyuk play when he was 16. BUT look at this stat, it says a lot....

At 16 yrs of age:

Galchenyuk: 31 goals
Mackinnon: 31 goals
Duclair: 31 goals

Things that make you say hmmmmmmm!!!!

Old
07-08-2012, 08:05 AM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post

The Habs can assure themselves their 25th Stanley Cup by finding a way to draft Seth Jones and adding him to the deep mix of defencemen already in their system.To have their 4th dynasty in this coming decade it becomes a little trickier.Having such a superb draft in 2012 drafting the best player in Alex Galchenyuk was gutsy after his knee injury,but to be fortunate enough to have Sebastion Collberg fall to them at the 33rd pick,what can I say.They are lucky too,the top sniper in the entire draft . Next Dalton Thrower is available when they choose the 51st pick,arguably one of the best Dmen in a draft full of Dmen,definitely one of the toughest.Now these may seem like the rantings of a Hab fan,they are but never the less true.With the shrewdness of the famous Sammy Pollock,the Habs Dojo of Drafts Trevor Timmins has plucked plums out each year.Carey Price,goalie of the future PK Subban in another year of the defencemen @45th overall same draft Max Pacioretty of the famed non hit by Chara into the Stanchion,remember now?@22nd.Add Lars Eller traded for J.Halak by St. Louis Blues and two more shrewd draft picks the Little General Andrei Markov-Russian Wizard on Defence and Tomas Plekanec the perrenial Selke trophy candidate. These are the "Core Players"that will soon be joined( 2-3 yrs )by another platoon of draft picks by TT. Seth Jones if the Habs manage to somehow draft him and let's say Max Domi (2013) and Sam Rinehart (2014) the Montreal Canadiens could conceivably have the makings of their 4th Stanley Cup Dynasty after a 20 year vanishing act that Houdini couldn't duplicate.Marc Bergevin (New GM) has put together a management team that is leading the Habs back to the Glory Days of Old and we the fans couldn't be happier.
Great quote, I would add, if the Habs cannot get Jones in the 1st round, they should do their best to get Samuel Morin in the 2nd round or move up to the late 1st round. I would describe him as a "poor's man version of Jones"

At 6"05, 190lbs, he's still growing in his body. Won't put up numbers, but is a solid "stay-at-home" D suited for an offensive pairing like the Subb. And he has a mean streak and is not scarred to drop the gloves. Might take more time to develop than Jones, but he should become a solid D one day. Another home grown talent.....

The Habs are scheduled to speak 3 times in the 2nd round, YES, they'll stack up with talent for the quest of # 25. 2013 Draft should be the Habs' show

Last edited by hockey365: 07-08-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old
07-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If only that was the way it worked over here in MTL, but it doesn't. Just remember Louie Leblanc, was most definitely not BPA. Right after him was Chris Kreider a 6"3 CENTER!
1-Kreider is a winger
2-how do you know Leblanc won't be the better player?

Old
07-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I remember the Kreider vs Leblanc!
Both were probably considered as equal asset for the club but Leblanc got the nod because he is a local. I still believe that poster here severly underrate Louie.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:25 AM
hockey365

Quote:
The Habs already have big bodies, they do not have pure scorrers and playmakers like Drouin and Duclair. I agree with you.

Although Erne is a solid 1st round pick, I see him slidding down towards the end of the 1st round, like Matteau did in this past draft. Not because he's not good, but because he ranks a little lower in creativity compared to the others in this draft.

Especially when Duclair, Drouin, Mackinnon and other forwards in this draft are not scarred to use their bodies to punish the opposition when necessary

This draft is sick with talent!!!!

I surely hope the analysts at TSN and other places will go deeper in their analytical debate this year, instead of sticking to the usual talking points!

I'm hoping a CAN Vs USA final at the U-18 in August and a CAN Vs Russia semies, this way, we'll be able to compare apples with apples!

Old
07-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
The Habs already have big bodies, they do not have pure scorrers and playmakers like Drouin and Duclair. I agree with you.

Although Erne is a solid 1st round pick, I see him slidding down towards the end of the 1st round, like Matteau did in this past draft. Not because he's not good, but because he ranks a little lower in creativity compared to the others in this draft.

Especially when Duclair, Drouin, Mackinnon and other forwards in this draft are not scarred to use their bodies to punish the opposition when necessary

This draft is sick with talent!!!!

I surely hope the analysts at TSN and other places will go deeper in their analytical debate this year, instead of sticking to the usual talking points!

I'm hoping a CAN Vs USA final at the U-18 in August and a CAN Vs Russia semies, this way, we'll be able to compare apples with apples!
Ernie's skill level is miles ahead of Matteau. Matteau projects as a Prust type player.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:04 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
1-Kreider is a winger
2-how do you know Leblanc won't be the better player?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=120939

Kreider was drafted as a Center, and played at Center for Boston College.
Trust me, Only time will tell but Kreider is a huge centerman with tremendous speed and great offensive abilities.
Tell me 2 years ago when we drafted leblanc, we didn't need a 6"3 center, who currently weighs 225.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:12 AM
le_sean

Quote:
I'm pretty sure a lot of scouting services had Leblanc ahead of Kreider.

And that was one example. Not nearly enough to make a case that they prefer Quebec-born players.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:21 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
I'm pretty sure a lot of scouting services had Leblanc ahead of Kreider.

And that was one example. Not nearly enough to make a case that they prefer Quebec-born players.
As of right now, which I do NOT think will represent the future of Leblanc, he has 10 points in 42games.

Chris Kreider has played 18 games (Playoff games only) and has 7 points.

However, I do understand for much of the 42 games Leblanc was playing on a 4th, or 3rd line in a checking role which I simply do not understand, but I will leave that for another day. I just think we had the option between a 6'0 local center, and a 6'3 US Center, so they went for the local kid but had Louie not been local, and the draft not been in Montreal, I do not think they would have gone with Louie.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
As of right now, which I do NOT think will represent the future of Leblanc, he has 10 points in 42games.

However, I do understand for much of the 42 games Leblanc was playing on a 4th, or 3rd line in a checking role which I simply do not understand, but I will leave that for another day. I just think we had the option between a 6'0 local center, and a 6'3 US Center, so they went for the local kid but had Louie not been local, and the draft not been in Montreal, I do not think they would have gone with Louie.
We saw their list didn't we? If I recall they didn't have him higher than leblanc

Old
07-08-2012, 10:19 AM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:

Louis Leblanc was the 9th ranked player on the Habs draft list and Kreider was 17th, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

If Leblanc was gone, the next two players we would have gone with are Jordan Schroeder and John Moore.

http://i26.tinypic.com/4gp7uo.jpg

Closed Thread