HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Collecting old newspapers, magazines & books

Old
07-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Vancouver Blazers
1973-1975

vCash: 500
I've got about 100 copies of Canucks Magazine from the 70s and 80s. Pretty cool.

Vancouver Blazers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Shootmaster_44

My collection is by no means as large as many of yours, but I have nearly every Sports Illustrated in the last 15 years (a few were missed due to my Grandpa not renewing the subscription soon enough). I also have ever game program from every game (minus the 1991 World Juniors game I went to) I've attended. The only interesting thing in that collection, but is in not great shape is a 1991 Canada Cup program that I had signed by Valeri Zelepukin and another Soviet player who happened to be in line ahead of me buying a hot dog at the game. I also have several media guides from all over the world.

When I was a kid I figured out how to get a bunch of free stuff from sports teams. I'd send an email saying I was doing a presentation at school and was hoping they could send me some posters, magazines books or anything else that could be used as a visual. I have boxes of the stuff I received at my parents' house. I don't even know what all I have, but I know I have a good selection of media guides from the big four sports leagues (NHL, MLB, NFL and NBA), NCAA schools and conferences and some overseas leagues. I probably have magazines from most of them and every major national hockey federation too. I believe there are some national baseball and basketball federations in there too. I also went weird and had some field hockey and swimming federations send me things.

There's also some autographed items in there, I know one of the teams (either OHL or AHL/ECHL) sent me a complete team autographed picture. I also have a Coach K (Duke basketball head coach) autographed picture in there. It was a neat thing to do as a kid, I feel slightly guilty now since I wasn't actually doing a project but when you're 11 or 12 that doesn't cross your mind. I also feel bad for my mailman since there were days he'd bring me 15-20 11X14 envelopes full of stuff.

The funniest thing about my "project" was that most of the teams I actually cheered for didn't send me anything. I know the Kings never sent me anything back nor did the San Francisco 49ers. I'm pretty sure the Orlando Magic and Montreal Expos sent me some things though. But at any rate, it was a fun thing to do and I spent hours emailing teams and was fun getting packages from all over the world.

One of these days I will have to go through the stuff and see what's there. My parents are threatening to throw it out if I don't move it out of their basement.

I'm also trying to collect as much stuff as I can relating to the Kings' Cup win. So far I've got a 5 different newspapers from June 12 that have stories about the Kings' win, the current Hockey News, THN Year in Pictures, Sportsnet Magazine and a LA Times commemorative book. I also intend to track down whatever season preview magazines and yearbooks/guides that have the Kings with the Cup on it.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I'm ecstatic to say I've just acquired (well, in the process of acquiring) 16 more volumes of The Hockey News for my collection. Essentially every issue from the beginning of the 1960-1961 season right through to the end of 1975-1976. Equals up to over 520 issues, with approximately 30 missing.

Going to be some incredible reading in there

11-30-2012, 10:43 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Habsfan18 - check your PM inbox

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:41 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm ecstatic to say I've just acquired (well, in the process of acquiring) 16 more volumes of The Hockey News for my collection. Essentially every issue from the beginning of the 1960-1961 season right through to the end of 1975-1976. Equals up to over 520 issues, with approximately 30 missing.

How much did that cost?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
How much did that cost?
Going to set me back about a grand. But it's well worth it, IMO. Keep in mind the cost of shipping that many issues from the States via UPS is around like $200 on its own.

My wife is awesome for giving it the green light.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 11-30-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I'm fairly jealous dude. One of these days I wanna go down to the Hockey Hall of Fame resource centre in Etobicoke and browse old magazines and their binders of hockey cards but as a student that other stuff is hard to afford. I did however find that my library's site electronically has every THN issue archived going back to 2005, I'm guessing many other libraries with access to the same database have that as well.

Also if you see any cool articles in there then share a few of them here. I put up a couple from Hockey Pictorial in 1955, 3 issues of that floating online in pdf:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...619&highlight=

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:01 AM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:

I assume from Lee who is liquidating?

He was a great help for me in filling the holes for me. I have all issues from 1966-67 to current. That is my interest from expansion on. I assume you can tell why from user name.

BTW Habsfan. Just saw the issue that you were looking for a long time that I sent you a copy of a while back on ebay.

They do take up a heck of a lot of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I'm fairly jealous dude. One of these days I wanna go down to the Hockey Hall of Fame resource centre in Etobicoke and browse old magazines and their binders of hockey cards but as a student that other stuff is hard to afford. I did however find that my library's site electronically has every THN issue archived going back to 2005, I'm guessing many other libraries with access to the same database have that as well.

Also if you see any cool articles in there then share a few of them here. I put up a couple from Hockey Pictorial in 1955, 3 issues of that floating online in pdf:
I have 185 issues of Hockey Pictorial/Hockey Pictorial World in my personal collection along with about 600+ other magazines that include Hockey Illustrated, Hockey World, Action Sports Hockey, Hockey Stars etc.... Two 4 drawer cabinet files worth of them and they are about completely full.

Here is part of a nice index someone put together on Hockey Pictorial. It is just the first issue but the index runs through April 1979. Great resource when I an looking for something specific.

Adams Doesn't Fool Adams, Jack 1955 October
Beliveau - Greatest In Years Beliveau, Jean 1955 October
Canadiens Call on Toe Blake, Toe 1955 October
Toronto Has Another Billy The Kid Harris, Billy 1955 October
Why Irvin Went To Chicago Irvin, Dick 1955 October
Irvin Planning War Dances Irvin, Dick 1955 October
Why I'm Through As A Pro Kennedy, Ted 1955 October
Hockey Has Been Good To Me - Bill Quackenbush Quackenbush, Bill 1955 October
The Rocket's Lucky Number Richard, Maurice 1955 October
Terry Sawchuk - Boston's Answer? Sawchuk, Terry 1955 October
Where Are They Now? - Nels Stewart Stewart, Nels 1955 October
It's 3-G Theme For Leafs Toronto Maple Leafs 1955 October
Quick, Watson - The Needle Watson, ?? 1955 October

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:38 AM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
Equals up to over 520 issues, with approximately 30 missing.
If you are missing some from early to mid 1970's let me know. I have a box of about 100 or so duplicates. I am meeting a guy on Monday to give to him so you would need to let me know pretty quick before they are gone. Hopefully can help you out.

stlouisblueshistory@gmail.com

Old
12-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Well, I'm adding the 1958-1959 & 1959-1960 seasons to the deal I previously talked about. I've also added a few scattered issues the past few days, so as of now Ill own every issue since the beginning of 58-59, with 14 issues missing from between 63-64 to 69-70. And then every issue since 70-71 to present day.

Collecting these aren't cheap, but I consider them far too valuable to pass up on.

Quote:

I'll definitely be sure to post about some cool findings. And I checked out those scans you posted a few days back. Pretty neat stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlueshistory View Post
I assume from Lee who is liquidating?

He was a great help for me in filling the holes for me. I have all issues from 1966-67 to current. That is my interest from expansion on. I assume you can tell why from user name.

BTW Habsfan. Just saw the issue that you were looking for a long time that I sent you a copy of a while back on ebay.

They do take up a heck of a lot of room
Yeah, they're from Lee. It's crazy to think that in a matter of like 5 years, my collection has grown from every issue since 2000, to every issue since 1990, to 1988, to 1980, to 1977...and now practically every issue since 58-59 except for a few scattered ones. It's pretty crazy when I stop and think about it.

Then I think of the financial aspect of it all....

Last edited by Habsfan18: 12-18-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: merge
Old
12-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Well, an early christmas present to myself (and from my wife as well I suppose ) arrived today. 600+ issues of The Hockey News. Like I posted about previously, I acquired nearly every issue of THN from 58-59 right through 75-76 (only 14 currently missing) to add to my collection that had already consisted of 76-77 to present day.

I was like a kid in a candy store scanning through these. Reading original reports/articles/columns on the formation of the WHA, Bobby Hull signing with Winnipeg, Bobby Orr's rookie season, expansion, Jacques Plante's injury which of course lead to him wearing the mask, Terry Sawchuk breaking the record for all-time shutouts, Rocket Richard retiring, the Summit Series etc.. etc..

Just really cool stuff. Only negative is that it appears I'm running out of room.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 12-18-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Vancouver Blazers
1973-1975

Quote:
Well, an early christmas present to myself (and from my wife as well I suppose ) arrived today. 600+ issues of The Hockey News. Like I posted about previously, I acquired nearly every issue of THN from 58-59 right through 75-76 (only 14 currently missing) to add to my collection that had already consisted of 76-77 to present day.

I was like a kid in a candy store scanning through these. Reading original reports/articles/columns on the formation of the WHA, Bobby Hull signing with Winnipeg, Bobby Orr's rookie season, expansion, Jacques Plante's injury which of course lead to him wearing the mask, Terry Sawchuk breaking the record for all-time shutouts, Rocket Richard retiring, the Summit Series etc.. etc..

Just really cool stuff. Only negative is that it appears I'm running out of room.
Looking forward to your contributions with the new material

BTW - If you ran a blog with highlights from old THN issues, I'd subscribe to it and I'd check it every day.

Vancouver Blazers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:30 AM
BubbaBoot

[Program on the right] > Saw Terry O'Reilly play Larry Robinson's Voyageurs at the old Garden.

BosBraves_2.jpg

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:02 AM
MVP36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
My collection is by no means as large as many of yours, but I have nearly every Sports Illustrated in the last 15 years (a few were missed due to my Grandpa not renewing the subscription soon enough). I also have ever game program from every game (minus the 1991 World Juniors game I went to) I've attended. The only interesting thing in that collection, but is in not great shape is a 1991 Canada Cup program that I had signed by Valeri Zelepukin and another Soviet player who happened to be in line ahead of me buying a hot dog at the game. I also have several media guides from all over the world.

When I was a kid I figured out how to get a bunch of free stuff from sports teams. I'd send an email saying I was doing a presentation at school and was hoping they could send me some posters, magazines books or anything else that could be used as a visual. I have boxes of the stuff I received at my parents' house. I don't even know what all I have, but I know I have a good selection of media guides from the big four sports leagues (NHL, MLB, NFL and NBA), NCAA schools and conferences and some overseas leagues. I probably have magazines from most of them and every major national hockey federation too. I believe there are some national baseball and basketball federations in there too. I also went weird and had some field hockey and swimming federations send me things.

There's also some autographed items in there, I know one of the teams (either OHL or AHL/ECHL) sent me a complete team autographed picture. I also have a Coach K (Duke basketball head coach) autographed picture in there. It was a neat thing to do as a kid, I feel slightly guilty now since I wasn't actually doing a project but when you're 11 or 12 that doesn't cross your mind. I also feel bad for my mailman since there were days he'd bring me 15-20 11X14 envelopes full of stuff.

The funniest thing about my "project" was that most of the teams I actually cheered for didn't send me anything. I know the Kings never sent me anything back nor did the San Francisco 49ers. I'm pretty sure the Orlando Magic and Montreal Expos sent me some things though. But at any rate, it was a fun thing to do and I spent hours emailing teams and was fun getting packages from all over the world.

One of these days I will have to go through the stuff and see what's there. My parents are threatening to throw it out if I don't move it out of their basement.

I'm also trying to collect as much stuff as I can relating to the Kings' Cup win. So far I've got a 5 different newspapers from June 12 that have stories about the Kings' win, the current Hockey News, THN Year in Pictures, Sportsnet Magazine and a LA Times commemorative book. I also intend to track down whatever season preview magazines and yearbooks/guides that have the Kings with the Cup on it.
That is so cool, I could never fathom the idea of a pro team actually responding and sending something back, but I guess if you send out enough, you're bound to get something in return. I wonder if there are any teams who would still do this, but I doubt it.

MVP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:27 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Going to set me back about a grand. But it's well worth it, IMO. Keep in mind the cost of shipping that many issues from the States via UPS is around like $200 on its own.

My wife is awesome for giving it the green light.
by the way, I'm sure that now that you've fulfilled your goal, you won't mind sharing your source. Where did you find these issues? I am obviously not looking in the right places.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
by the way, I'm sure that now that you've fulfilled your goal, you won't mind sharing your source. Where did you find these issues? I am obviously not looking in the right places.
Of course I am not Habsfan but this is the guy you would want to check with. He is currently liquidating his inventory so not sure what he has left.

He helped me fill out my run from 1966-67 to current.

http://www.thnsales.com/

Old
12-19-2012, 12:38 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlueshistory View Post
Of course I am not Habsfan but this is the guy you would want to check with. He is currently liquidating his inventory so not sure what he has left.

He helped me fill out my run from 1966-67 to current.

http://www.thnsales.com/
yeah, he's good for single issues to fill in, but unless you're an oil tycoon you need to get a whole bunch, in bulk, in one shot - then go to Lee to fill in the blanks. Getting the 40 years of THN that I want, issue by issue, at his prices, would cost me $15,000.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:56 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
yeah, he's good for single issues to fill in, but unless you're an oil tycoon you need to get a whole bunch, in bulk, in one shot - then go to Lee to fill in the blanks. Getting the 40 years of THN that I want, issue by issue, at his prices, would cost me $15,000.
Like I said he is liquidating. His prices are much cheaper due to this. If there is something you might be interested in I would at least give him a holler. You might be surprised at the price.

Habsfan can attest to the much cheaper prices he got his lot for from him and already did in a previous post.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Looking forward to your contributions with the new material

BTW - If you ran a blog with highlights from old THN issues, I'd subscribe to it and I'd check it every day.
I've thought about starting something like that, but I honestly don't know if there would really be that much interest for it to be honest.

Quote:
There hasn't really been a specific source for my issues, it's just been a matter of luck. I had already owned every issue since 2000 or so from subscribing. Then I remember buying a set of 10 issues from a guy on ebay a few years back, then contacting him to see if he had more. Turned out he had about 300 issues and he was looking to get rid of them. Then I found a guy in Sarnia through kijiji who was willing to sell me basically every issue from the late 70's all the way to the late 80's for $100 I believe it was. That was a steal.

Then I would contact Lee Zats of THNSales (great guy) every so often to fill some holes in my collection for random issues/volumes I needed. He contacted me a few weeks back, as he was in liquidating mode, and I was able to purchase 58-59 through 75-76.

So really, I've just been lucky to find people who have been willing to sell large lots. The hardest part has been finding the odd specific issue here and there.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:14 PM
berghockey24

Looking for hockey book, can't remember title/author

Can anyone help me find an old hockey book that I used to read when I was younger? I don't remember the title or author, but it was a collection of stories from hockey history -- crazy, unbelievable stories. The first chapter featured Bill Mosienko's 21-second hat trick, but I can't remember anything past that. Does anyone have any idea or know what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

berghockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMVP77 View Post
That is so cool, I could never fathom the idea of a pro team actually responding and sending something back, but I guess if you send out enough, you're bound to get something in return. I wonder if there are any teams who would still do this, but I doubt it.
I found minor league teams were the best. I'd get all sorts of game programs, media guides, stickers, game schedules etc. The NCAA schools were a little hit and miss, I think some of them were worried about violating NCAA rules for contacting kids not in the "recruitment" period. Some teams sent me lots of things like hats, t-shirts etc. I even received an expensive looking hardcover book from an Australian rugby team.

But the majority of pro teams probably have old game programs and posters kicking around they would be happy to get rid of. The trick was to find the right person at the team to write to. I usually went through the corporate directory and found their Community Relations or PR person and emailed them directly. I found that the generic email accounts for the big 4 teams were less than successful. Also, sometimes emailing the league itself was successful.

In a small way, I feel guilty about doing this since it wasn't all what I said it was. I often thought if a team ever wanted pictures of my "project", I would put something together and get someone to take a picture of me in a classroom after school. But it certainly was a fun thing getting packages and seeing what I would get back. I often wonder if Canada Customs has/had a file on me, since I was getting packages from all over the world, sometimes 15 per day.

It all started because my Dad said as a kid, he would write to NHL teams and ask if they can send him a poster or a picture and most times they would send him a team post card or something. I just took it to the extreme lol.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I've added 2 new THN books to my collection, which I recently discovered while reading through an old issue.

1. Stan Fischler's All-Time Hockey Trivia Book (1979)
2. The Zany World Of Hockey (1979)

Both books were a Fischler/THN collaboration.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Btw for anyone who collects these, I recommend picking up a Sportsnet Magazine special issue called The Greatest Leafs of All Time. In Canada, you might still find it at a Walmart or somewhere but you can also buy it from the Sportsnet site online for $10.

I don't agree with the rankings but it's nice to have as a piece of history.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Btw for anyone who collects these, I recommend picking up a Sportsnet Magazine special issue called The Greatest Leafs of All Time. In Canada, you might still find it at a Walmart or somewhere but you can also buy it from the Sportsnet site online for $10.

I don't agree with the rankings but it's nice to have as a piece of history.
My buddy upon seeing the magazine cover on a newsstand:

"Number 1, easy...Mats Sundin."

I was legitimately pissed off.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 02-01-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Been visiting some local book stores the past three weekends and have come back with some nice little finds. I've picked up:

Frank Selke: Behind The Cheering (1962)
Punch Imlach's Own Story: Hockey Is A Battle (1969)
Punch Imlach's Own Story: Heaven And Hell In The NHL (1982)
Hockey Showdown - The Canada-Russia Hockey Series: The Inside Story By Harry Sinden (1972)
Young Hockey Champions: By Andy O'Brien (1971)
Stan Mikita - I Play To Win: My Own Story (1969)
Up From The Minor Leagues Of Hockey (1971)
Boom Boom: The Life And Times Of Bernard Geoffrion (1997)
Gretzky: An Autobiography (1990)
Life After Hockey: When The Lights Are Dimmed (1987)
The Game Of Our Lives (1981)
And...Howe!: An Authorized Autobiography (1995)
Victory For America: Miracle On Ice (1980)
After The Applause: Ten NHL Greats And Their Lives After Hockey (1989)
Overtime: The Legend Of Guy Lafleur (1991)
Eric Lindros: Fire On Ice (1992)
Hockey Night In Canada: The 1982-1983 Season (1982)

edit:

Power Plays: An Inside Look At The Big Business Of The National Hockey League - By Gil Stein (1997)
Power Play: The Memoirs Of Hockey Czar Alan Eagleson (1991)
Heroes: Stars Of Hockey's Golden Era - By Frank Pagnucco (1985)
Open Net: George Plimpton - The Professional Amateur In The World Of Big-Time Hockey (1985)
Hockey: The Illustrated History - An Official NHL Publication (1985)
Frank Orr's Hockey Annual: 1988-1989

edit 2:

Gordie Howe: By Stan Fischler (1967)
60 Years Of Hockey: By Brian McFarlane (1976)
Stanley Cup Fever: 100 Years Of Hockey Greatness - By Brian McFarlane (1992)
Lanny (1987)
The Last Hurrah: A Celebration Of Hockey's Greatest Season - 1966-1967 (1995)

Last edited by Habsfan18: 03-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.