HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Board 2012 Prospect Rankings #13

View Poll Results: Who is #13?
Josiah Didier, D 0 0%
Greg Pateryn, D 2 1.34%
Darren Dietz, D 23 15.44%
Mark MacMillan, LW 2 1.34%
Daniel Pribyl, C 4 2.68%
Brady Vail, C 5 3.36%
Alexander Avtsin, RW 1 0.67%
Gabriel Dumont, C 4 2.68%
Patrick Holland, C 42 28.19%
Black Geoffrion, LW/C 15 10.07%
Charles Hudon, LW 3 2.01%
Brendon Nash, D 3 2.01%
Steve Quailer, RW/LW 9 6.04%
Aaron Palushaj, RW 35 23.49%
Joonas Nattinen, C 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Kboum

vCash: 500
I like Macmillan put some really nice stats last year 2nd half of the season PPG

Old
07-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Palushaj. Really don't know why people are voting for players who have big upside but low potential on achieving it. There are thousands of prospects like that, few pan out. Palushaj is going to be an NHL regular eventually, and I can't say the same is likely for most of those other guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Unreal that Palushaj is not running away with this right now. The kid is only 22 and well be an NHL player. Seems many are voting based on upside only. Which Palushaj has just as much as any one left on the board except maybe Dietz or Hudon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Perhaps Holland is going to make his case at training camp. Most here just haven't seen enough of him to consider him a legit prospect and not just a guy picked late that we traded for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think Holland should have been gone by now and is clearly ahead of anyone else left. Think he's underrated on this board, as he's big skates well, works hard, has skills, and was very productive last year. He also has the ability to QB a PP. He's a surefire NHLer IMO, and possibly a 2nd liner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
alright, enough with the hard-ons for the shiny new prospects. vote for palushaj ********
this is the beauty of where we are at, organization-wise, in terms of prospects.

We may not have many of the "flashy" blue-chip types that would propel us into the top 3-5 HF rankings... but of course teams in that range (NYI, OTT, EDM, FLA, LAK) have many recent seasons out-of-playoffs/lottery range.

but stacked up to any team in the league, I bet our top 15-20 prospects are as good as they come. As TT & co. have done thus far, I bet that many of our top prospects go on to being NHL players... hopefully with a new management team in place, we'll see the benefits of that success in identifying young talent translate into quality roster players.

Holland, Palushaj, Geoffrion, Dietz, Schultz, Nattinen, Quailer, Pateryn, Vail, Macmillan, Hudon... find me a team in the league that, after 13 better prospects have already been eliminated, has anywhere near this kind of talent left as "potential" future players.

we might well have the deepest pool of future NHL'ers in the league... now what matters most is how we manage these assets and use them to build sustainable NHL success.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:52 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
this is the beauty of where we are at, organization-wise, in terms of prospects.

We may not have many of the "flashy" blue-chip types that would propel us into the top 3-5 HF rankings... but of course teams in that range (NYI, OTT, EDM, FLA, LAK) have many recent seasons out-of-playoffs/lottery range.

but stacked up to any team in the league, I bet our top 15-20 prospects are as good as they come. As TT & co. have done thus far, I bet that many of our top prospects go on to being NHL players... hopefully with a new management team in place, we'll see the benefits of that success in identifying young talent translate into quality roster players.

Holland, Palushaj, Geoffrion, Dietz, Schultz, Nattinen, Quailer, Pateryn, Vail, Macmillan, Hudon... find me a team in the league that, after 13 better prospects have already been eliminated, has anywhere near this kind of talent left as "potential" future players.

we might well have the deepest pool of future NHL'ers in the league... now what matters most is how we manage these assets and use them to build sustainable NHL success.
I'm sorry but the ranking is just skewed. We vote on potential and that's fine but it's a strange thing we do, or people in general.

When a player is first drafted, his potential is sky high. It is only after years of failing to meet our enormous standards that a player, even one at a PPG pace in the AHL is deemed weaker and weaker. The reality however is that many of our prospects may not even do much at the AHL level, let alone the NHL level.

For reference: Last year, before palushaj had a PPG season in the AHL:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=963261

6th best according to our board.

Alexander Avtsin...#7 I wonder did he drop that much in one year or was it just hype?

Old
07-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Holland; add Archambault.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Bobby G

I really do not know enough to have a say at this point, but can someone tell me a bit about Avtsin, please? There was a bit of buzz after he came over from the KHL, but his AHL numbers look pretty poor. And it appears he has fallen out of favor

Old
07-08-2012, 08:58 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
alright, enough with the hard-ons for the shiny new prospects. vote for palushaj ********
I just dont see palushaj as anything more then an AHLer

Old
07-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm sorry but the ranking is just skewed. We vote on potential and that's fine but it's a strange thing we do, or people in general.

When a player is first drafted, his potential is sky high. It is only after years of failing to meet our enormous standards that a player, even one at a PPG pace in the AHL is deemed weaker and weaker. The reality however is that many of our prospects may not even do much at the AHL level, let alone the NHL level.

For reference: Last year, before palushaj had a PPG season in the AHL:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=963261

6th best according to our board.

Alexander Avtsin...#7 I wonder did he drop that much in one year or was it just hype?
not sure how that relates to my post? but yes, I completely agree that this "ranking" is more fan hype than substance... then again, when it comes to prospects, outside of the obvious 2-3, opinions will be divided even among those with the most knowledge/viewings of our prospects, and it will be a few years before we find out who was "right".

doesn't matter where you personally rank the prospects, point remains that imo, our current group of top ~20 prospects has more future NHLers than most teams.

I could be wrong, I really can't say I've seen each of them sufficiently to make a strong case vs another team's group...

but going from what info that is readily available, and from their current/recent progression, I see a long list of guys that should pull on an NHL sweater at some point (even if not Montreal's).

if you take a deep look at Edmonton or New YorkI's prospect depth, once you get outside the top ~10 players, the quality of prospect appears to drop off sharply, a lot sharper than what you see in our 10-20 group... time will tell.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Uwey

Why is Geoffrion considered black????? ;>P

Closed Thread