Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of the North star's shadow

Old
07-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Takola

vCash: 500
Out of the North star's shadow

When the July 4 signings broke I was ecstatic, I pretty much had to replace my keyboard due to a broken f5 key. While reading through the bajilloin post as my daughter would say I read something in an Avarder post I believe that made me think for a few days.
Do the last 3 drafts and the new signings start to pull this team out of the star's shadow ? I was as big of a north star as most and still strongly dislike norm green.
If nothing else it was the loss of that franchise that made HS and NCAA hockey the focus of the "State of Hockey" .

While I really never liked the name "wild" I would have preferred at least a noun and it took about 10 years for me to be accustomed to the man , bear, pig logo. This is the team that i am a die hard fan of now. This is the team I run to the PC to check news on or to see what new post are here. (i am a big time lurker) Maybe some of you are right its time to let go. A Tip of the hat every now and then to the stars and Fighting Saints for that matter and i'm all in. Lets let the team we have now start there own legacy.

sorry for the soapbox speech but this hasn't been talked about in light of recent events.

Takola

Takola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

I guess it depends who you ask this question to. Younger folks go Northstars who? While guys my age, just shake their heads at the ugly Wild uniforms, and silly Wild name. The Northstars had some great teams over the years back in their day. They had one of the coolest looking logos ever in Pro Sports in my opinion, and their uniforms not only were kick ass back then, but if they were worn today would instantly become one of the nicest in the league even though they would be decades old. Classics are almost impossible to replace. I don't think this Wild team could ever really overshadow the Northstar mystique until maybe when they win the cup. Even then old warhorses like me will still be clinging to the old Northstars.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:59 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

I think the Wild pulled away from that shadow many years ago. Beating the Stars 6-0 in the first year was closure for a lot of people....or at least it dulled the pain a bit. But as the years have gone by, the Wild started rebuilding their own identity.

The Fighting Saints and North Stars are always going to be a part of this town and in our hearts. They are a part of hockey history for this state. They're part of the tradition. It's why fans (myself included) will sometimes sport those old jerseys at the games to recognize the past. Yet at the same time, we've moved on. It's exciting to see the big steps this club has taken in the last few years and the potential for a bright future.

BTW, welcome to the boards!

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

See it depends who you ask ^^ lol

Old
07-08-2012, 03:08 AM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
I guess it depends who you ask this question to. Younger folks go Northstars who? While guys my age, just shake their heads at the ugly Wild uniforms, and silly Wild name. The Northstars had some great teams over the years back in their day. They had one of the coolest looking logos ever in Pro Sports in my opinion, and their uniforms not only were kick ass back then, but if they were worn today would instantly become one of the nicest in the league even though they would be decades old. Classics are almost impossible to replace. I don't think this Wild team could ever really overshadow the Northstar mystique until maybe when they win the cup. Even then old warhorses like me will still be clinging to the old Northstars.
They really didnt. I grew up with the North Stars and went to my share of games as a kid, but I have more than gotten over them. I cant even begin to understand what you mean when you talk about the North Star Mystique.

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
They really didnt. I grew up with the North Stars and went to my share of games as a kid, but I have more than gotten over them. I cant even begin to understand what you mean when you talk about the North Star Mystique.
To each his own my friend.

When the Northstars left, people here were more crazy than the Devils fans are now about Parise leaving. Personally I've never quite gotten over that. When the Wild were announced to be our new team, the first thing I thought, what a dumb name for a hockey team, of all the cool things a Minnesota sports team could be called, Wild was what they settled on? Then I looked at the uniforms, and I just about threw up. Now add a bunch of mediocre years of mostly disappointing seasons, and NO this team hasn't made me want to forget my beloved Northstars, not by a long shot. I love the fact we have a NHL franchise back here in Minnesota, but if I had my way I'd change a bunch about this team to make us less of a laughingstock in the NHL.

Last edited by Blakkmantis: 07-08-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old
07-08-2012, 03:13 AM
J22

Quote:
I loved the Stars because they were my team, but lets not pretend they were a great organization while they were here.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Takola

You both make good points, though for me it took a lot longer for me to start realizing that they are two completely different franchises. I guess i was looking back to my youth in that regard, witch lets be honest i needed it at the end of the Darth Riser era

Now its about looking ahead at the future and the Plan that was laid out by CF seems to be a frickin great one .

Old
07-08-2012, 03:16 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
I loved the Stars because they were my team, but lets not pretend they were a great organization while they were here.
I guess I was just a bigger Northstars fan than you. Nothing wrong with your views on this subject, but nothing wrong with mine either.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:19 AM
J22

Quote:
I guess I was just a bigger Northstars fan than you. Nothing wrong with your views on this subject, but nothing wrong with mine either.
claiming things that arent true makes you a bigger fan than me? See I would counter that by saying, if the team name and uniforms makes you think less of a team? You might not be as much of a hockey fan as you think you are.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Personally I think they need to make a rule in pro sports when a franchise leaves a state, or city, the logo, and the teams nickname should stay with the place they left. So if we ever lose the Vikings, years later if we got a NFL team back, the name would be there for it's fans to identify with. The St. Louis Rams, I'm sorry just don't seem right. Baltimore should have it's Colts, instead of Ravens. Cleveland got it's name back in the Browns. Houston should be the Oilers, not the Texans. Maybe I'm more of a purist. But if Greenbay ever lost the Packers, could you ever imagine them getting a team back years later and NOT having the name Packers again?

Same with the Northstars.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:21 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
claiming things that arent true makes you a bigger fan than me? See I would counter that by saying, if the team name and uniforms makes you think less of a team? You might not be as much of a hockey fan as you think you are.
Oh come on not you too, lets not go down this road, and start to make things personal. I was just defending my opinion on the matter, not trying to insult you.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:22 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:

When the Northstars left, people here were more crazy than the Devils fans are now about Parise leaving. Personally I've never quite gotten over that. When the Wild were announced to be our new team, the first thing I thought, what a dumb name for a hockey team, of all the cool things a Minnesota sports team could be called, Wild was what they settled on? Then I looked at the uniforms, and I just about threw up. Now add a bunch of mediocre years of mostly disappointing seasons, and NO this team hasn't made me want to forget my beloved Northstars, not by a long shot. I love the fact we have a NHL franchise back here in Minnesota, but if I had my way I'd change a bunch about this team to make us less of a laughingstock in the NHL.
Columbus says hi.

But yeah, it was madness when the Stars left. How appropriate was it when they blew up the Met and part of it refused to drop? It kept standing. Was awesome! And I still smile when the Hawks are in town and someone yells, "Secord Sucks!"

But personally, I'm fine with the new name, logo, and so forth. They are a totally different franchise, and the Stars are now in Texas.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Takola

that is something i totally agree with . team names should stay with the city or state cause really the Atlanta Flames logo was slick to and will always pawn the Calgary one

Old
07-08-2012, 03:27 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I think it really opens a gap, I don't live in Minnesota, so I don't know, but when we win a cup, then, and only then, can the NorthStars truly be a thing of the past.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Columbus says hi.

But yeah, it was madness when the Stars left. How appropriate was it when they blew up the Met and part of it refused to drop? It kept standing. Was awesome! And I still smile when the Hawks are in town and someone yells, "Secord Sucks!"
LOLz, yeah, that was awesome. It was like the stadium was saying HELL NO I WILL NOT GO! SCREW YOU NORM GREENE!

I grew up pretending to be Northstar players when playing hockey. Looked up to Gilles Meloche, and tried to be as good as he was while playing goalie. Basil McRae was a huge hero of mine. I remember as a kid, my mom would lay me down to sleep, and I'd stick one of those little earplugs in my ear, those AM radios used to have, and listen to Northstars games when I was supposed to be sleeping, night after night. Some of my greatest childhood memories were of Northstars games, and some of the epic games, and playoff series they had.

Good times, good times.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:35 AM
se7en
infamous...

I had to chime in... Many of you know that I'm a huge promoter of bringing the north stars name back. No our north stars franchises were never epicily great but there was a certain something with our old team. That name, that logo, those colors, the met center. We were something special. I was only 12 when the north stars left but it was like having my heart ripped out. I still.remember that we all got brought down to the lunch room to watch the met center be imploded, it was like being at a funeral! I was in 6th grade, and I remember people crying & weeping & consoling eachother as the arena fell... They may not have been the greatest team ever but they were our team & they were something special... I'll never forget when mike modano came & bumped my fist as a little kid when he was a rookie. It's a memory I still hold on to...

There was just something magical about our franchise, something that no matter how well the wild do, they'll never replicate... The north stars were just that perfect mix of something I can't even explain... Maybe I was little & I have a clouded memory but they were a fixture in the nhl & the way they demised was not fitting of their roots & until the wild can honor that heritage properly they'll never be fully at rest. The north stars deserve to be right there mentioned with the roots of hockey & they didn't get their fair nod & call me an old timer or a purist but until the day that the wild can don a north stars jersey even if just for a winter classic, ill forever feel that a piece of Minnesota sports history was never properly put to rest. We are & forever Will be the north star state & that name & logo & colors belongs with us. We may be the wild for the rest of our exsistence but we should reserve the right to take the ice as the north stars for eternity when we feel like it. its just part of the history of our state & the game of hockey. Maybe we are a completely different team & franchise but the way that team is remembered & honored should be in our hands & not the state of texas's or the leagues.. they were our heritage & I don't believe they were ever given a proper goodbye or honoring, its more like they were forgotten & brushed away by Dallas & the leagues..

All just imo of coarse but I want the north stars & wild franchises to be more interconnected than they are now.. maybe its a different franchise its our roots in pro hockey & they should be as one when it comes to Minnesota pro hockey, and I want the past & present to me remebered & honored equally. Long live the north stars & go wild!

All I ask is to not let that great name, logo & jersey die & rot in Texas. Just like the new winnipeg jets are now, the north stars should be intertwined with the wild to be ours completely moving forward.. again just imo, but the history that lies with the north stars is just to great to be ignored & forgotten with a Dallas franchise that chooses to act like we never exsisted.. "founded in 1993" my ass...

Last edited by se7en: 07-08-2012 at 04:45 AM.
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I had to chime in... Many of you know that I'm a huge promoter of bringing the north stars name back. No our north stars franchises were never epicily great but there was a certain something with our old team. That name, that logo, those colors, the met center. We were something special. I was only 12 when the north stars left but it was like having my heart ripped out. I still.remember that we all got brought down to the lunch room to watch the met center be imploded, it was like being at a funeral! I was in 6th grade, and I remember people crying & weeping & consoling eachother as the arena fell... They may not have been the greatest team ever but they were our team & they were something special... I'll never forget when mike modano came & bumped my fist as a little kid when he was a rookie. It's a memory I still hold on to...

There was just something magical about our franchise, something that no matter how well the wild do, they'll never replicate... The north stars were just that perfect mix of something I can't even explain... Maybe I was little & I have a clouded memory but they were a fixture in the nhl & the way they demised was not fitting of their roots & until the wild can honor that heritage properly they'll never be fully at rest. The north stars deserve to be right there mentioned with the roots of hockey & they didn't get their fair nod & call me an old timer or a purist but until the day that the wild can don a north stars jersey even if just for a winter classic, ill forever feel that a piece of Minnesota sports history was never properly put to rest. We are & forever Will be the north star state & that name & logo & colors belongs with us. We may be the wild for the rest of our exsistence but we should reserve the right to take the ice as the north stars for eternity when we feel like it. its just part of the history of our state & the game of hockey. Maybe we are a completely different team & franchise but the way that team is remembered & honored should be in our hands & not the state of texas's or the leagues.. they were our heritage & I don't believe they were ever given a proper goodbye or honoring, its more like they were forgotten & brushed away by Dallas & the leagues..

All just imo of coarse but I want the north stars & wild franchises to be more interconnected than they are now.. maybe its a different franchise its our roots in pro hockey & they should be as one when it comes to Minnesota pro hockey, and I want the past & present to me remebered & honored equally. Long live the north stars & go wild!

All I ask is to not let that great name, logo & jersey die & rot in Texas. Just like the new winnipeg jets are now, the north stars should be intertwined with the wild to be ours completely moving forward.. again just imo, but the history that lies with the north stars is just to great to be ignored & forgotten with a Dallas franchise that chooses to act like we never exsisted.. "founded in 1993" my ass...
Well said Se7en, just like Dallas tried to erase us from history, some of our younger fans here would just as soon do the same. Such a pity.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:36 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
As a STH for both franchises I would say that the Wild have already broken out of the North Stars shadow -- which I never thought it would be all that hard to. The Wild as an organization is much better run now than the North Stars ever were. However, I would also say that today's NHL is a far more friendly place to grow a franchise then it was back on the 60's and 70's so the North Stars deserve a lot of credit for selling the NHL to this community. In this sense the Wild have mostly built onto a foundation that the North Stars created.

The REAL test for the Wild will be in the future (hopefully far into it) when the Xcel Center will no longer be seen as "fit" home for the franchise. At that time will the Wild have enough influence here to get a new arena constructed? The key for the Wild will be to maintain fan support and strong ownership to act as a repellant against carpet baggers like Norm Greed from stepping into the picture.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:55 AM
clayman

Quote:
Personally I think they need to make a rule in pro sports when a franchise leaves a state, or city, the logo, and the teams nickname should stay with the place they left. So if we ever lose the Vikings, years later if we got a NFL team back, the name would be there for it's fans to identify with. The St. Louis Rams, I'm sorry just don't seem right. Baltimore should have it's Colts, instead of Ravens. Cleveland got it's name back in the Browns. Houston should be the Oilers, not the Texans. Maybe I'm more of a purist. But if Greenbay ever lost the Packers, could you ever imagine them getting a team back years later and NOT having the name Packers again?

Same with the Northstars.
I agree...

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:56 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Meh. They're still in the Gophers...

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:01 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post

Just a thought, but I think it would be cool if they used the old North Star uniforms as thirds... Just a thought. The first team I played on as a kid in the early 70's used the North Stars Uniforms. Still have the socks, and my ex is supposed to be sending back the jersey! lol..

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
I started following the North Stars in the early 80's. I was a big fan, was lucky enough to go to several games a year. Bobby Smith, Broten, Bellows, Tinordi, Payne, Casey, Meloche, etc.

I remember the game in Boston when they set the record for PIMS, it was a slugfest. I remember rubbing elbows with Mike Modano in the Loon Cafe.

When the Stars moved south, I continued to follow the team as my #1 team.

But then the Wild came to Minnesota, and I welcomed them with open arms. for a couple years, I was torn between the Stars & Wild for my #1 team... but after the run in 2003, I was all Wild all the time.

I've always like the name Wild, and have never minded the jerseys. I really never understood the great hatred for the team name or logo. I think the Bear head is a great representation of the nature & wildlife found in MN.

As far as being in the Stars shadow? no way, The Wild are their own entity, and quite frankly any Wild fan under 30 never really even know the North Stars, so they have never made the comparison between the two.

GO WILD

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
There is no way the Wild should use the North Stars jerseys, they are different franchises. Yes I understand being nostalgic about them but that fact remains, the Wild and the North Stars are different franchises and the North Stars still exist in Dallas. No member of the North Stars has a connection to the Wild save the fact they are both Minnesota's team. McRae, Broten, Modano didn't play for this franchise, they played for Dallas. While the North Stars are a part of Minnesota hockey history, they are not part of the Wild's history and I'm glad they have distanced themselves from it. They should be trying to make their own stamp on this state and not trying to cling to the past. Some have brought up the Twins using the Millers jerseys and wonder why the Wild doesn't do the same with the North Stars. For me that question is simple, the Milers don't exist anymore, the Stars do. The Wolves don't wear old Minneapolis Lakers jerseys, but I've seen the L.A. Lakers wear them and they should, they are a part of that organization. It's a different "franchise" per se but the same organization. The same goes for the North Stars/Dallas Stars, same organization but two different "franchises" which is likely why Dallas does the "founded in 1993" thing because it is true. The Dallas Stars franchise was founded in 1993, they are just a part of a larger organization that started with the North Stars. I understand getting upset at the "founded in 1993" thing but it is well within their rights to do that.
I for one think Winnipeg screwed up in going back to the Jets name because the "history" didn't come with it. The Jets leader in career points is not Dale Hawerchuk it's Ilya Kovalchuk. Bobby Hull's number is not retired for them, it's hanging in Phoenix and that's why Evander Kane can wear it. It's why they couldn't go back to the old Jets jerseys, they don't own them, Phoenix does.
Like I said, I'm all for celebrating the North Stars contribution to Minnesota hockey but when it comes to the Wild, the North Stars are dead.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
WILDTX

It's fine to have great memories of what the North Stars were and what it was like when they were in Minnesota. The fact is that they are no longer there and will never be again. I think that this off-season has definitely helped to turn the page and give the Wild their own identity going forward. As for the logo, jerseys, name, etc...I have never chosen to follow a team or invest emotionally as a fan based on these type of factors. It sounds like something my 4 year old daughter might do but is kinda silly for grown adults to put much emphasis on.

WILDTX is offline   Reply With Quote