HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Knuble??

Old
07-07-2012, 09:21 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Mike Knuble??

If the Flyers can't land Doan or another top winger for G (which seems to be the case) what do you guys think of signing Mike Knuble for a year or two? I know he's no longer a top line guy and he just turned 40 a couple days ago but he could come cheap (~2 mil) and would be solid depth signing IMO kinda along the lines of the Fedotenko signing. He's a solid two way player and would replace some of the size lost up front in the JVR trade/Jagr going to the Stars (Knuble is 6'3" about 230lbs). He had a down season last year but the year before he put up 24 goals. The Flyers had success with Knuble on the pp a couple years ago which really took a hit when he signed in Washington, maybe putting him on the 2nd PP unit rejuvenate his offensive game and if not you still have a big checking winger. I see this as a low risk high reward scenario.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Krishna

Didn't he just retire?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:39 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Didn't he just retire?
Really? Had no idea. Saw this tweet:

“@BroadStBull: The Flyers could add someone like Shane Doan or Mike Knuble, but if they remain pat, here is how their lines ... http://t.co/w6308jlg”

Got me thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to give him a try.

Edit: Found an article on NHL.com that has him as one of the top remaining 30 UFAs, so I doubt he retired. Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637078

I also just found this posted on June 2nd of this year:

Quote:
“I definitely want to play,” Knuble said. “I’ve been pretty adamant about that the last little bit. The biggest thing is how you feel physically and I feel great. Mentally, I can definitely go through another season. I enjoy the competition. I enjoy the focus of it. As for the team, I guess you kind of have to wait and see what happens. The money won’t be significant, relatively speaking, nor will the term. So you can decide what will be best for you and your family going forward.”
Link: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ant-to-retire/

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 07-07-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old
07-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Interesting. Where is he really useful though?

Power play and sitting his ass in front of the net for Giroux and....we have no ace trigger man to make that type of line work. Simmonds already sort of plays Mike Knuble's game and then some. Plus he is sloooooow. Giroux is already too small to match up with the bigger centers in the league one on one, the last thing you need to do is put another defensive liability with him. And Knuble has no place in a bottom six.

Maybe he could go to Columbus or somewhere else that needs powerplay help. To quote another poster from a couple seasons ago, "he's a ****ing rock star with in 15 feet of the net".

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:28 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Interesting. Where is he really useful though?

Power play and sitting his ass in front of the net for Giroux and....we have no ace trigger man to make that type of line work. Simmonds already sort of plays Mike Knuble's game and then some. Plus he is sloooooow. Giroux is already too small to match up with the bigger centers in the league one on one, the last thing you need to do is put another defensive liability with him. And Knuble has no place in a bottom six.

Maybe he could go to Columbus or somewhere else that needs powerplay help. To quote another poster from a couple seasons ago, "he's a ****ing rock star with in 15 feet of the net".
Well the first pp unit will most likely be Giroux simmer hartnell kimmo and Mez/jake. 2 pp unit could be Briere Schenn knuble jake/mez and one of (Gus/Coburn/Schenn?). I could see those two units working pretty nicely. As for 5v5 he's still real good in the corners/along the boards and for some reason I think he might look good on Coot's wing with read on the other side.

I doubt he goes anywhere but a contender. He won a cup with the wings if I'm not mistaken but he was young and didn't play much I'm sure he still wants to win one for "real" before he retires.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Might be good to have another guy like him in the dressing room. It just seem stupid to bring him back to ride the bench, and it seems stupid to give him minutes that younger players could use and perhaps produce better with. I'm not hugely against it, I just wonder if it's the best for for either the team or him. Would almost certainly not be a disaster either way.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:49 PM
bp spec

I can't see why we would need him.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Haute Couturier

What is the fascination with Knuble? He's done.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I can't see why we would need him.
Just for the depth. is it a need? No, but he could help the team in replacing some of the size and offense lost this offseason.

Flyers have close to 8 mil in cap space and the ufa pool is rather shallow when you figure Semin will get his payday here or in the KHL and Doan will stay with the coyotes. And Paul seems unwilling to trade any of the young guys for a first line winger for G (which i agree with considering the rumored cost of a ryan or nash) so i could see Jake taking Jagr's spot on the 1st line. At which point who replaces jakes 50 pts on the other lines?

There is no hole necessarily just that I feel like he could be a stopgap until next offseason when better ufa's are available/the young guys can take a more offensive roll on the team.

Idk I seem to be in the minority here but it seems like it could be a solid signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
What is the fascination with Knuble? He's done.
It's not a "fascination" with knuble. Just looking at who's currently available he seems like a guy who could step in on the 3rd line with experience for relatively cheap and provide more then say a Wellwood could.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 07-07-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old
07-07-2012, 11:34 PM
turkinaa

I'm not really into the idea of adding him even though I like him. We have enough players who should be able to get in front of the net with more offensive upside and speed.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Idk I seem to be in the minority here but it seems like it could be a solid signing.

It's not a "fascination" with knuble. Just looking at who's currently available he seems like a guy who could step in on the 3rd line with experience for relatively cheap and provide more then say a Wellwood could.
I don't know that he can offer more than Wellwood at this point though. He almost certainly can't in a third line role. He's just too slow. Imagine Simmonds with a fifty pound back pack on and slightly better touch around the net. That's Knuble to me. The better touch around the net might even be a thing of the past at this point.

He just doesn't offer enough to warrant a roster spot IMO.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

He is 40 years old and is coming off an 18 point season. What makes you think he can handle a third line role? He looks done to me.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:25 AM
dats81

He was painfully slow and struggled keeping up with the speed of his linemates before he left Philly. Now he lost his scoring touch on top of it.

He is done.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:07 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Id love to see Obi-Wan Knubi back in orange and black.
Favorite nickname for a Flyer, ever.
Could unretire that Black #22 sweater too.

The same #22 sweater I was considering putting "LEINO" on.. Good thing I held off, eh?

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:35 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
He was painfully slow and struggled keeping up with the speed of his linemates before he left Philly. Now he lost his scoring touch on top of it.

He is done.
Agreed. This is another case of an old player who won't retire even though he's done. Liked him in Philly but he was slow then, he is way slower now. Knubled.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:32 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
He is 40 years old and is coming off an 18 point season. What makes you think he can handle a third line role? He looks done to me.
Imo he was much better in the playoffs then the regular season and while he did struggle mightily during the regular season he saw his ice time drop and was reduced to a 4th line role. Scott hartnell can attest to what that does to a players confidence and subsequently his offensive game. He may not be needed and he may be "done" but on a one yr contract for around 2 mil I would take a chance on him on the off chance he can turn it around.

I will admit that his speed is a problem but I don't think the flyers would be adding anyone else this offseason with his level of experience. He did score 24 goals the year before last and in the flyers system I could see him scoring 20 again while playing solid defense. He would propapbly be taking wellwoods spot and if he real is done then it's not like Wellwood is going anywhere.

Again I'm only suggesting him as a stopgap on a cheap 1 year contract IF the flyers don't sign someone like Doan.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
turkinaa

What is better: a 40 year old on a 1 year 2 mil deal playing 3rd/4th line without speed or a player under the age of 25 who can either hit, score, or has speed for under 1 mil?

To me the cheaper option is to just stay in-house and fill it with talent from within and find out how well our players are before we look to fill holes which might not be there.

Of course my answer will change pending any trades that see holes open up.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Knuble is done. Its over.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
mirimon

From what he looked like with the Caps last season, I'd stay away from Knuble. Age has caught up with him at last. Took it a while, despite his lack of speed.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
From what he looked like with the Caps last season, I'd stay away from Knuble. Age has caught up with him at last. Took it a while, despite his lack of speed.
We resigned Testwuide to be Knuble 2.0, I'd sooner just play him or Holmstrom on the 4th line.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Mike Testwuide? isnt he some thing like 20th on the Flyers depth chart?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:31 PM
hockeyfreak7

No need for Knuble with Simmonds.

As a fourth liner, Knuble would be useless compared to Wellwood, Talbot, and Fedotenko.

As a top 9er, Knuble pales in comparison to Simmonds these days. There's just no place on the roster for him. Not even on PPs with Simmonds already picking up the trash so effectively.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Nice double entendre, zing!

And English is probably your second language, no? Well done, sir.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Imo he was much better in the playoffs then the regular season and while he did struggle mightily during the regular season he saw his ice time drop and was reduced to a 4th line role. Scott hartnell can attest to what that does to a players confidence and subsequently his offensive game. He may not be needed and he may be "done" but on a one yr contract for around 2 mil I would take a chance on him on the off chance he can turn it around.

I will admit that his speed is a problem but I don't think the flyers would be adding anyone else this offseason with his level of experience. He did score 24 goals the year before last and in the flyers system I could see him scoring 20 again while playing solid defense. He would propapbly be taking wellwoods spot and if he real is done then it's not like Wellwood is going anywhere.

Again I'm only suggesting him as a stopgap on a cheap 1 year contract IF the flyers don't sign someone like Doan.
There was only one player in the entire league that scored 20+ goals as a 40 year old last year. The odds are Knuble won't be scoring 20 at 40.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
tuckrr

Would love knuble on our team! Excellent on the PP, best deflection guy to ever play for us.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote