HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Realistically what do you expect this season from the Wild?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2012, 02:50 AM
  #101
TZM
Par too easy
 
TZM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kerava
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
To be fair, that's an high expectation you have.
I've included some serious optimism in it.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:55 AM
  #102
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
True. After reading the Wings, Devils, and Preds forums...I'm not crazy about us being called losers.
Well we know your not a loser at least! As for me, well anyway....

They certainly can't mean this teams a loser now cause that ain't gonna be the case no mo.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:03 AM
  #103
Sharppi
Interestingggghnnngg
 
Sharppi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
On the bubble yet again. I'm expecting a 6th-10th place finish in the West.
I agree with you there, 6th-10th depending on that how hard the injuries hit. This is still a chemisty-seeking season and good for developing prospects and rookies. 13-14 I expect 4th-8th seed.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:04 AM
  #104
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!
 
Blakkmantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Well whatever happens, it's sure to be an interesting season. This has quite possibly been the best off season we have ever had.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:21 AM
  #105
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,089
vCash: 500
6th seed minimum.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:07 AM
  #106
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
I just want to make the playoffs (well, I really, really want to get a series win). I want the feeling of high anticipation, anxiety, live and die with every shift, everyone's talking about the game at work. Man I want that back!

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
  #107
Caior89
Registered User
 
Caior89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 353
making the playoffs and a good adaptation for ours prospects

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
  #108
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 50
slower start, but building momentum as the season goes on to a playoff spot. as of now any advancement past the first round will be bonus, but i might expect more depending on how we play during the regular season. if we dominate chicago in our regular season meetings and get swept in the playoffs I'll be disappointed.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:26 AM
  #109
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
If I may as a Sharks fan, I'd like to post my thoughts.

- No fireworks right away from Parise/Suter, but they'll get better as they develop chemistry with the team
- Will make the playoffs, although (as of now) a lack of depth at D will prevent it from being a long run
- Seto will have a better year than last, but won't come near his career high of 31 goals. I believe he will really benefit by having Mitchy with him to bring a huge part of his San Jose life back to him
- Heatley will continue to trend downwards in point totals
- The real question mark of this team will be goaltending. Should be interesting to see how that plays out and if Hackett/Harding can push Backstrom out. If that happens, I think that opens a big door for you guys next off-season to acquire more talent


All in all, I hope both the Wild and Sharks have great seasons. When we made the big trades with Havlat/Heatley Seto/Burns, the hope was that you guys would make the playoffs and we at the very least would make it to the finals. I think with both teams failing to do that, we both have something to prove to the rest of the league.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:34 AM
  #110
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
If I may as a Sharks fan, I'd like to post my thoughts.

- No fireworks right away from Parise/Suter, but they'll get better as they develop chemistry with the team
- Will make the playoffs, although (as of now) a lack of depth at D will prevent it from being a long run
- Seto will have a better year than last, but won't come near his career high of 31 goals. I believe he will really benefit by having Mitchy with him to bring a huge part of his San Jose life back to him
- Heatley will continue to trend downwards in point totals
- The real question mark of this team will be goaltending. Should be interesting to see how that plays out and if Hackett/Harding can push Backstrom out. If that happens, I think that opens a big door for you guys next off-season to acquire more talent


All in all, I hope both the Wild and Sharks have great seasons. When we made the big trades with Havlat/Heatley Seto/Burns, the hope was that you guys would make the playoffs and we at the very least would make it to the finals. I think with both teams failing to do that, we both have something to prove to the rest of the league.
rational analysis of the team from outside sources should never be unwelcome here. I'm still following burns so I have a natural interest in the Sharks. Our D is obviously (obvious to everyone, it seems) our biggest hole. What is the Sharks' most concerning deficiency?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:39 AM
  #111
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,089
vCash: 500
I really think people are underestimating our defense. We know what we are going to get from Suter, Gilbert played well at the end of last year, we know what we get from Spurgeon, Stoner can play solid 3rd pairing minutes. The two real wild cards are Scandella and Brodin. How much has Scandella improved and does Brodin win a spot on the NHL roster and is he player we hope/think he is?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
  #112
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!
 
Blakkmantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I really think people are underestimating our defense. We know what we are going to get from Suter, Gilbert played well at the end of last year, we know what we get from Spurgeon, Stoner can play solid 3rd pairing minutes. The two real wild cards are Scandella and Brodin. How much has Scandella improved and does Brodin win a spot on the NHL roster and is he player we hope/think he is?
I agree Itor, the first half the season before the injury parade occurred we were quite solid on D, which surprised even us Wild fans. These no namers, and young kids we have did a fairly good job at keeping the scores low, and we were winning tons of one goal low scoring games. Fan's outside of our market do not know that, as nobody really started to pay attention to us until around the halfway point of the season. And thats when our wheels fell off.

I fully expect our D to play even better this season than they did during that great winning stretch we had first half of last season.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:56 AM
  #113
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
I agree Itor, the first half the season before the injury parade occurred we were quite solid on D, which surprised even us Wild fans. These no namers, and young kids we have did a fairly good job at keeping the scores low, and we were winning tons of one goal low scoring games. Fan's outside of our market do not know that, as nobody really started to pay attention to us until around the halfway point of the season. And thats when our wheels fell off.

I fully expect our D to play even better this season than they did during that great winning stretch we had first half of last season.
In addition to better play from the youngins, I expect Yeo will be a better coach this year, too. We always talk about the players working on their game and improving. Yeo is a young coach who is most likely doing the same.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:57 AM
  #114
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I really think people are underestimating our defense. We know what we are going to get from Suter, Gilbert played well at the end of last year, we know what we get from Spurgeon, Stoner can play solid 3rd pairing minutes. The two real wild cards are Scandella and Brodin. How much has Scandella improved and does Brodin win a spot on the NHL roster and is he player we hope/think he is?
i think some of us (not all) aren't appreciating how awful night in and night out our defense was, and how important the defensive play of our forwards was in covering for them. That's why we abandoned the heavy forcheck for a good chunk of the season--it wasn't because our forwards were unable to play the system (okay, they did start to wear down), it was because our defense wasn't up to the responsibility. Our D was bad at everything. Bad. Not just below average. Gilbert looked a lot better than i thought he would, but I'm all but convinced that was partially because the rest of our D was so horrible that anyone with actual NHL skill stood out. that isn't a dig on Gilbert. Spurgeon looked like a second pairing defenseman because he was the only guy aside from Gilbert who showed any consistency in his game and kept a level head no matter what the circumstances. Of course ops is going to praise some of these guys--they're not dumb; they know some will be back and have a good idea who. Calling them out will do no good. Chuck said we needed to fix our defense...I don't believe he meant "lets get one more first pairing guy and a couple NHL bottom pairing guys in here because ******* we're stacked for second pairing guys". noooope.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:59 AM
  #115
Casper
30 goal grinder
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
rational analysis of the team from outside sources should never be unwelcome here. I'm still following burns so I have a natural interest in the Sharks. Our D is obviously (obvious to everyone, it seems) our biggest hole. What is the Sharks' most concerning deficiency?
I will say this about our D though; it is undoubtedly our weakest link but it is not an untalented group. There is a lot of skill there. What makes it our weakest link is A) its an extremely young and inexperienced group and B) Can that D core play the physical game as well as the finesse game?

I think it will be another up and down season for the D-unit. With the addition of Suter, hopefully the lows will be significanly shorter than last year.


Last edited by Casper: 07-08-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:02 PM
  #116
Casper
30 goal grinder
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Chuck said we needed to fix our defense...I don't believe he meant "lets get one more first pairing guy and a couple NHL bottom pairing guys in here because ******* we're stacked for second pairing guys". noooope.
The nice thing is that this problem is looking more and more like it can be fixed internally. If not, we now have the assets to make a trade.


Last edited by Casper: 07-08-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:05 PM
  #117
IronRangeHockey
Registered User
 
IronRangeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Iron Range
Country: United States
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
I expect the playoffs, and I hope they make it. I would like to see Yeo be the coach of the future and build a great system from Fletch on down.

I could be wrong, but I think Yeo may be on his way out if they miss the playoffs?

I think they make it that far.

If they somehow land another top 4 bl'er, or Brodin really surprises us all (pipe dream), then I think they could make it past the 1st round.

IronRangeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:05 PM
  #118
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
rational analysis of the team from outside sources should never be unwelcome here. I'm still following burns so I have a natural interest in the Sharks. Our D is obviously (obvious to everyone, it seems) our biggest hole. What is the Sharks' most concerning deficiency?
Thanks! I've always respected the Wild fanbase. My girlfriend and I are on a mission to see the Sharks play in every NHL arena, so we're hoping to make it to Xcel soon! Went to Minnesota (see I don't call it Minny) last Summer and got to try that juicy lucy at the 5-8. Hoping to try it at Matt's next time.

Here are my thoughts on my own team. I couldn't really pinpoint a "most concerning deficiency" but just a bunch of smaller things that add up to a big problem

- 3rd line is ugly looking right now because Winnik/Moore haven't been signed, which means that Handzus (a 2.5m pylon with an NMC) is centering that line as of now. Many Sharks fans believe that we need to go back to our 3 scoring line model which worked well when Pavelski was centering the 3rd line. Although, Pavs may not like that role as he just came off a career year on the 1st line.

- We really need to add wingers as we have many natural centers in our lineup.

- Niemi is a liability if he plays the way he did last season. I personally feel he'll have a better year.

- Now that Mitchy is gone, our team (overall) is even slower. We need to get a bit faster and perhaps younger. Im in strong favor of trading a great shutdown D like Douglas Murray away because hes too damn slow for our system. I think he'd be great with the Rangers or Islanders.

- Lastly, we need some players who play with more heart and passion. We have a team where many players look everywhere but in the mirror for the fire starter. I like the Burish signing and he sounds like he wants to be the player that does that.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:08 PM
  #119
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The nice thing about this problem is that it is looking more and more like it can be fixed internally. If not, we now have the assets to make a trade.
no, it's great, and there is room for development for both Scandella and Spurge. right now though neither is quite as good as a lot of people seem to think. One top FA, plus two top ten picks in the D (one physical offensive, one cerebral defensive) plus a lot of signed young guys who have shown flashes of utility should turn out pretty good in a few years. If just one of Prosser, Falk, Scandella, or Spurge turn out to be worthy (in my evidently overly pessimistically tinted vision) of regular NHL minutes on the second line of a good team we'll be set. Provided of course Brodin and Dumba don't disappoint immensely.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:10 PM
  #120
LordFletcher
Registered User
 
LordFletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
I made a bet on Bavada a month ago on the Wild winning the Stanley Cup @ 75/1 odds. I never thought the Wild would win but I was counting on them getting ZP / Suter.... now that they have, they odds are at 20/1.... My gamble might have got me an extra $5500.... I still don't think they will win, but anything can happen.... All that I know is that I will be pissing my pants in the post season this year. Could be the best $100 I ever spent

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:14 PM
  #121
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!
 
Blakkmantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
I made a bet on Bavada a month ago on the Wild winning the Stanley Cup @ 75/1 odds. I never thought the Wild would win but I was counting on them getting ZP / Suter.... now that they have, they odds are at 20/1.... My gamble might have got me an extra $5500.... I still don't think they will win, but anything can happen.... All that I know is that I will be pissing my pants in the post season this year. Could be the best $100 I ever spent
HAHA what a great way to make a season more interesting. Good luck to you my friend!

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:17 PM
  #122
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 50
holy crap that could pay off beautifully!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
  #123
LordFletcher
Registered User
 
LordFletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
I was hoping to be able to make the bet when I was in Vegas during game 5 of the finals but they wouldn't release next years odds till they were over... I heard MGM had them at 200/1 for the opening week of the betting lines :'(

still happy with the 75/1

should be fun, and very intense

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
  #124
Granlund 64
Registered User
 
Granlund 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stillwater, MN
Country:
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
I'm thinking playoffs and a 1st round win; with a tough second round that could go either way.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:34 PM
  #125
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
rational analysis of the team from outside sources should never be unwelcome here. I'm still following burns so I have a natural interest in the Sharks. Our D is obviously (obvious to everyone, it seems) our biggest hole. What is the Sharks' most concerning deficiency?
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Thanks! I've always respected the Wild fanbase. My girlfriend and I are on a mission to see the Sharks play in every NHL arena, so we're hoping to make it to Xcel soon! Went to Minnesota (see I don't call it Minny) last Summer and got to try that juicy lucy at the 5-8. Hoping to try it at Matt's next time.

Here are my thoughts on my own team. I couldn't really pinpoint a "most concerning deficiency" but just a bunch of smaller things that add up to a big problem

- 3rd line is ugly looking right now because Winnik/Moore haven't been signed, which means that Handzus (a 2.5m pylon with an NMC) is centering that line as of now. Many Sharks fans believe that we need to go back to our 3 scoring line model which worked well when Pavelski was centering the 3rd line. Although, Pavs may not like that role as he just came off a career year on the 1st line.

- We really need to add wingers as we have many natural centers in our lineup.

- Niemi is a liability if he plays the way he did last season. I personally feel he'll have a better year.

- Now that Mitchy is gone, our team (overall) is even slower. We need to get a bit faster and perhaps younger. Im in strong favor of trading a great shutdown D like Douglas Murray away because hes too damn slow for our system. I think he'd be great with the Rangers or Islanders.

- Lastly, we need some players who play with more heart and passion. We have a team where many players look everywhere but in the mirror for the fire starter. I like the Burish signing and he sounds like he wants to be the player that does that.
You are my hero. Please post here more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
I made a bet on Bavada a month ago on the Wild winning the Stanley Cup @ 75/1 odds. I never thought the Wild would win but I was counting on them getting ZP / Suter.... now that they have, they odds are at 20/1.... My gamble might have got me an extra $5500.... I still don't think they will win, but anything can happen.... All that I know is that I will be pissing my pants in the post season this year. Could be the best $100 I ever spent
Have $25 at 200/1 that Minnesota will win the Stanley Cup. If that happens, guess drinks are on us.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.