HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part VIII): Still no decision with Doan

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 12:34 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Free Agent Frenzy (Part VIII): Still no decision with Doan

Continued.

07-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

If Doan decides to leave Phoenix, do we go hard after him and forget about Nash?

Or try to sign both?

Old
07-08-2012, 12:42 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

No to Doan, I think we need to get younger, not older.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

That's hard. Doan is aging. Nash is expensive... I would try Doan. But its no substitute

Old
07-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
No to Doan, I think we need to get younger, not older.
Nothing wrong with adding a veteran presence. We are already really young, I think Asham is now our oldest player at 34.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:44 PM
sexton11

Anyone think Howson tries to get a deal finalized before Doan makes his decision? Could really drop his leverage if Doan decides to go to a team that is a frontrunner on Nash.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:47 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
Anyone think Howson tries to get a deal finalized before Doan makes his decision? Could really drop his leverage if Doan decides to go to a team that is a frontrunner on Nash.
Regardless of where Doan goes, as players drop off, the market for Nash becomes smaller (due to the cap) ... why Howson doesn't understand this baffles me. Unless he really wants to keep Nash, then at that point ... this whole circus is pointless.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:52 PM
sexton11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Regardless of where Doan goes, as players drop off, the market for Nash becomes smaller (due to the cap) ... why Howson doesn't understand this baffles me. Unless he really wants to keep Nash, then at that point ... this whole circus is pointless.
Say we sign Doan, we are definatly out on Nash in that case. Then where is he willing to go to? SJ wont give Couture, Philly dropped out, Carolina dropped.. any team that was in wont be offering as much with us out of it.

This has the potential to get really ugly really fast.

Old
Lundsanity30

Doan is rumored to want 5 years, no thanks

Old
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Throughout this whole thing, Nash has remained quiet and hasn't called out Howson on this.

Maybe it's time for him to make the process move along.

Call Howson out.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Your first point is incorrect. Nash absolutely would fix our scoring woes. I don't deal stepan and I don't think slats does either, but the point is Nash would put up 30 or more if his center was stepan, Dubinsky, anisimov, hell even boyle.
If (hypothetically) Stepan were to be included, who is Nash playing with? Anisimov? Boyle?

If he scores more than 30 it'll be a miracle playing with those two.

Or...

Stafford and 25-30 goals playing with Stepan.

Its a lot more complex than he's better or whose better.

Stafford + Stepan potentially = 50 goals, 100+ points. Plus Kreider at around 20-25 goals, 40-45 points.

Or... Nash at 30 goals and 60 points for more than Stafford and Stepan cap hit combined.

This isn't basketball, it isn't a video game with no line changes...

Depth.

Rangers are (thankfully) not cleaning house for Nash.

Upgrades, even slight, here and there, improves the team.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Stafford
Miller Anisimov Callahan
Asham/Rupp Boyle Pyatt

Is deeper than anything realistic including Nash. Trade for Nash and players would move up the depth chart, not down. That's not what this organization wanted. Not what Tortorella talked about.

Or if they land Doan.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Doan
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Asham/Rupp Boyle Pyatt

Adding depth is what Tortorella talked about. Not subtracting from it. Trading for Nash will subtract depth.

Howson isn't accepting less than McDonagh, Stepan, Kreider. Rangers aren't including them.

So while Nash may score more than those other guys. There would be considerably less scoring DEPTH with him.

However...if Howson comes to his senses and takes Dubinsky, Thomas, Erixon, 1st Something like that...than the depth won't be an issue.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers are bidding against themselves. They are the best fit to complete the trade.

Quote:
And patience is the best thing the Rangers have going for them in this slow-speed chase. Nash hasn't much wavered from his initial stance around the trade deadline this past season -- he has a full no-trade clause and seems willing to waive it only for a select few teams, even though Columbus general manager Scott Howson is practicing his own game of patience, hoping that Nash will grow weary of the holding pattern and agree to widen his pool of acceptable destinations.

It's one big game of chicken between the Rangers, the Jackets and Nash, and the Rangers have believed since back in January, when Glen Sather first inquired about Nash, that patience will win out. That Nash wants to come to New York and Howson's high demands will have to come down before the 2012-13 season begins.

And, so, the Rangers wait.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...ency-1.3825437

Old
07-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50

plz DONT TRADE

Old
07-08-2012, 12:58 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

3 years $15 million is the highest I'll go on Doan. If he doesn't want that then move on and try to get Ryan or Nash without moving too many pieces.

And, for those saying Doan is "too old".. He can still put up solid numbers. He had 22 goals and 50 points in Phoenix last year playing with sub-average linemates. If he comes to NY, plays with Stepan and Cally and puts up 25-25-50 then it will be well worth it. He plays a Tortorella style brand of hockey and is great veteran presence for a young team.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:00 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck View Post
3 years $15 million is the highest I'll go on Doan. If he doesn't want that then move on and try to get Ryan or Nash without moving too many pieces.

And, for those saying Doan is "too old".. He can still put up solid numbers. He had 22 goals and 50 points in Phoenix last year playing with sub-average linemates. If he comes to NY, plays with Stepan and Cally and puts up 25-25-50 then it will be well worth it. He plays a Tortorella style brand of hockey and is great veteran presence for a young team.
Agree with all of this.

He plays like a warrior in the playoffs too.

3 years is fine by me. 4 years is something I don't think anyone wants to do, but maybe for a lesser cap hit. Maybe.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:02 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
I'd have a hard time stomaching two years for Doan. 35+ contract. Anything goes wrong and the Rangers are ****ed. He's a 50 point player now, no point in giving him $6M and definitely not over 3-4 years.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-08-2012, 01:03 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers are bidding against themselves. They are the best fit to complete the trade.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...ency-1.3825437
Sums up pretty much what I have said all along. We are the best fit, he wants to come here, and it's a game of chicken to see who blinks first ... and with Slats that is not a fun game to play against.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:04 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

plz DONT TRADE
The best was the "We don't want you!" chants from the Garden after Nash scored the tying goal in that game

Old
07-08-2012, 01:06 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Stepan has got to be the most awkward goal scorer ever. Dat stride.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

yt'd

Old
07-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If (hypothetically) Stepan were to be included, who is Nash playing with? Anisimov? Boyle?

If he scores more than 30 it'll be a miracle playing with those two.

Or...

Stafford and 25-30 goals playing with Stepan.

Its a lot more complex than he's better or whose better.

Stafford + Stepan potentially = 50 goals, 100+ points. Plus Kreider at around 20-25 goals, 40-45 points.

Or... Nash at 30 goals and 60 points for more than Stafford and Stepan cap hit combined.

This isn't basketball, it isn't a video game with no line changes...

Depth.

Rangers are (thankfully) not cleaning house for Nash.

Upgrades, even slight, here and there, improves the team.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Stafford
Miller Anisimov Callahan
Asham/Rupp Boyle Pyatt

Is deeper than anything realistic including Nash. Trade for Nash and players would move up the depth chart, not down. That's not what this organization wanted. Not what Tortorella talked about.

Or if they land Doan.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Doan
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Asham/Rupp Boyle Pyatt

Adding depth is what Tortorella talked about. Not subtracting from it. Trading for Nash will subtract depth.

Howson isn't accepting less than McDonagh, Stepan, Kreider. Rangers aren't including them.

So while Nash may score more than those other guys. There would be considerably less scoring DEPTH with him.

However...if Howson comes to his senses and takes Dubinsky, Thomas, Erixon, 1st Something like that...than the depth won't be an issue.
I said I wouldn't include Stepan. I just meant it don't matter what linemates he's playing with (see Cbj) Nash will score 30. Also, how does adding stafford for Dubinsky add depth? I also don't believe stafford would score 30 again. Dubi with 20 goals and everything else he does for the Rangers is far more valuable than stafford would be. Doan is not coming here and if he really was considering it, slats is not giving him 4 let alone 5 years he is seeking and in this market, he will get it. If something like dubi hags a spect and 1st got it done, u have to pull the trigger and do it. This team as of right now will not be a legit cup contender until they can find more scoring

Old
07-08-2012, 01:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
yt'd
thanks for that.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
The only leverage building is Howson getting fired. Only question is whether or not that occurs before or after he trades Nash.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Rangers will be the leaders in the clubhouse if Doan decides to leave Phoenix. Remember -- he does not want to leave and is giving the perspective ownership every chance to work things out before he leaves. Doan and Sather are close and it's very unlikely he will play for a Coyotes rival. Given the market, it probably won't hurt him to wait another couple of weeks. Right now, he is the market. You add a guy like Doan whenever you can.

Do you want him? My God, yes. His scoring might be down a bit over the last few years but he was never a big scorer. He is a warrior and that part of his game has only gotten better. Remember he has been playing with linemates like Daymond Lankgkow and Lee Stempniak the past few years. His value is going hard into the corners, hitting people hard and at playoff time, he turns it up three notches. He can bomb it from the right point on the power play. And even if his scoring tails off, he will still be a substantial player. He's got a lot of Mark Messier in him, starting with body type.

I don't want to see Shane go to the Rangers because I want the Coyotes to stay here and I want him to finish his career here but if he is available, you have got to sign him.

Closed Thread