HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

In review: Kristian Huselius

Old
07-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
In review: Kristian Huselius

Kristian Huselius. The man brought in to make up for the loss of Nikolai (or is it Nikolay?) Zherdev. Many of our heads were still spinning from the trade of slick Nik and Danny Fritsche (who?) for some guy named Fedor Tyutin (I heard he has a good hip check or something) and Christian Backman (was wiped from my memory until I made this thread).

From a decent point getter for the CBJ, to a man who may or may not be in the NHL this upcoming season due to injuries.

2008-09 - 81 GP: 25 G 35 A (56 total points) +1 with 14 PP points
2009-10 - 74 GP: 23 G 40 A (63 total points) -4 with 23 PP points
2010-11 - 39 GP: 14 G 9 A (23 total points -17 with 8 PP points
2011-12 - 2 GP: 0G 0 A (0 total points) -2 with 0 power play points

His future in the NHL is in doubt. For now it appears he's done in Columbus at least.

What are your thoughts on the man known as Juice? Favorite moments or memories? Let us share the good, the bad, and the ugly on Kristian Huselius' career in Columbus.

First, you may want to take a trip down memory lane

Our forum's initial reactions to the signing back on 7-2-2008:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=531637

Behold how Columbus was laughed at for signing him on the mains!:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=531639

Last edited by Matthew: 07-08-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:49 AM
EspenK

The thing that I remember most about Juice is one year he must have had 10-20 posters. An inch here, an inch there he would have had a monster year.

Too bad injuries took their toll.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:16 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

If he's healthy and the money's right, I'd still like to see him back in Union Blue, this year.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:41 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
If he's healthy and the money's right, I'd still like to see him back in Union Blue, this year.
As would I. Health is the biggest thing, come back for a year, be the "bridge" to some of the younger guys that might be knocking on the door (Jenner, Calvert, Audy-Marchessault, Chaput)

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Stretch Factor

I've been beating this drum for a while. We need wingers. Juice is a winger. Sign him for 1 year at under $2.5m. Gives him a chance to reclaim his career, gives us a decent option on the wing. If he's unhealthy, insurance pays the cost. I don't see the downside.

Along the same lines, I didn't see the down side to resigning Dekanich to play in Springfield. The org obviously thought enough of him to bring him in as the NHL backup last summer, yet a year of injuries has changed their opinion? I don't get it.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:50 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I've been beating this drum for a while. We need wingers. Juice is a winger. Sign him for 1 year at under $2.5m. Gives him a chance to reclaim his career, gives us a decent option on the wing. If he's unhealthy, insurance pays the cost. I don't see the downside.

Along the same lines, I didn't see the down side to resigning Dekanich to play in Springfield. The org obviously thought enough of him to bring him in as the NHL backup last summer, yet a year of injuries has changed their opinion? I don't get it.
Dex signed with Winnipeg, likely competing for the Backup job there. Essentially, yes, the organization probably decided it was too much of a risk to even sign him with the intent of him being the number 3. If healthy, he likely would have been a better option than McBackup though....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:36 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

ping

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:59 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

He, no lie, could've had 40-45 goals had all the posts gone in in 08-09.

I never had anything wrong with the signing in the first place & was excited about it. Other than making the posts of the NHL's goals look like they'd been in a hailstorm, he did well for us for two years (really three if you see the number of points compared to number of games) before coming apart at the seams last year.

If you can sign him for cheap, he may still have it in him. Wait and see type thing I guess because I doubt anybody else gives him a look.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
He may have been the unwilling party.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:09 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I always liked Juice. He seemed to become a whipping boy for some due to his defensive shortcomings but you needed people to score goals and he could do that.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
ping
Damnit you beat me to it!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

If the effect on the young players is a proper attitude and work ethic, then we could certainly use his skill in the lineup. We need someone to buy us time and show the kids the way, and guys like this can do it fairly cheaply.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I'm sure that he will be resigned once he is healthy enough to pass a physical. His skill set is something this team is sorely lacking, and he's the only other legit top line player this team has when he's healthy. He should be resigned to a one year deal to prove he is back to normal and then go from there. I'm sure we are probably Juice's first choice, he's a family man, and veterans love this city, I hope to see him back in Union Blue next season.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Kutter

I suspect his size finally caught up with him and this barrage of injuries signals the end of his career as an effective NHL player.

His injection into the lineup was an important piece to our ultimate one playoff drive. He scored some timely goals that year, but so did Jason Williams (under-rated pickup for us that year). Juice ultimately faded in the playoffs and Hitch dropped him down to the third or fourth line, but likely we wouldn't have been there in the first place without him.

In terms of next year, it's time to move on. We are not a playoff team and need to give the young guys the ice time and experience now.

As for Dexshow, I suspect management thinks the injuries he had are not something he is going to immediately bounce back from, otherwise I see no reason not to have resigned him. If he turns out to break through in The Peg with the Jets, then it is another miscalculation by our esteemed GM...

Last edited by Kutter: 07-08-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
As for Dexshow, I suspect management thinks the injuries he had are not something he is going to immediately bounce back from, otherwise I see no reason not to have resigned him. If he turns out to break through in The Peg with the Jets, then it is another miscalculation by our esteemed GM...
Why do you assume it was the CBJ that made the decision to pass? It is just as possible that it was Dekanich that decided to go another direction.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

I've always been a fan of Huselius. He represents a calm, skilled presence on the ice. Especially if Nash goes, I'd love to have Huse back out there.

Everyone, including me, loves Mackenzie/Dorsett/ etc. But you need steady calm SKILLED guys, too. Huse brings that.

He stayed involved last year, even when injured. I appreciated that, too. Did the BLack Tie event, even signed auto's between periods at a few games last year. I dunno, just sorta impressed me that he stayed involved with the CBJ in ways he didn't have to. Few players with injuries do.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
This seems like a method of covering for yourself at a later "I told you so" opportunity.

I must ask: What will you say if Bobrovsky dominates, and Dekanich doesn't step foot on NHL ice? Winnipeg is a team with a starting goaltender (Pavelec) who is locked up for the foreseeable future ... Dekanich isn't a "plan B" like he was here; he's signed there simply for depth ... at best, he will be a backup goaltender for them.

EDIT: not to derail the thread

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Kutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Why do you assume it was the CBJ that made the decision to pass? It is just as possible that it was Dekanich that decided to go another direction.
So far I haven't seen the terms of the agreement with the Jets and it will be interesting to see if they offered him a one-way or two-way deal. The CBJ were able to get him signed last year based on offering a one-way deal, something the Preds were not willing to do. However, as last season was wrapping up there was no indication that the CBJ had any interest in re-signing Dexshow. Perhaps the feeling was mutual.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:19 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
As would I. Health is the biggest thing, come back for a year, be the "bridge" to some of the younger guys that might be knocking on the door (Jenner, Calvert, Audy-Marchessault, Chaput)
So what you guys are saying is "he's the new Peca?"
That didn't work out so well.
If we're going to DEVELOP a contender, let the young guys play.
If we want to BE a contender next year, get somebody who's been healthy.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Kutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
This seems like a method of covering for yourself at a later "I told you so" opportunity.

I must ask: What will you say if Bobrovsky dominates, and Dekanich doesn't step foot on NHL ice? Winnipeg is a team with a starting goaltender (Pavelec) who is locked up for the foreseeable future ... Dekanich isn't a "plan B" like he was here; he's signed there simply for depth ... at best, he will be a backup goaltender for them.

EDIT: not to derail the thread
Really comes down to what they know about Dexshow's health. If they have inside knowledge that he is not expected to make a full recovery, then it's probably the right decision. However, if all indications are that he is expected to make a full recovery, then I would definitely take the chance on signing him again. We have already invested a full year's salary in him, our goaltending depth, at least going into next season, is still paper thin. Betting on Mason is fool hearty, as proven the last several years. Goalie Bob may be great but if he isn't, or if he went down with an injury, then we would be in bad shape again pretty quickly.

We are going to be way under the cap going into next year. Resigning Dexshow to the same deal seems like a small gamble to add much needed depth AND has the potential of a lot of up side if he turns out to be the real deal.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:29 PM
candyman82

Did anybody notice on the thread from when Juice was signed that a poster suggested we might trade Klesla+2nd for Antoine Vermette? Two thirds of the deal correct months before

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
This.

A healthy juice really would help the PP this season.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:54 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
So what you guys are saying is "he's the new Peca?"
That didn't work out so well.
If we're going to DEVELOP a contender, let the young guys play.
If we want to BE a contender next year, get somebody who's been healthy.
I agree. LET THE BOYS PLAY!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I remember his pass to RJ Umberger for a GW OT goal vs San Jose in the playoff year. I also remember the goal he scored in the shootout vs Pittsburgh, but what comes to mind when I see him is when there was a 2 on 1 vs Chicago, he faked a slapshot and KHabby bit so hard that all Juice had to do was flip a backhand anywhere on net, nasty.

I wish him well wherever his next stop is, just don't be here.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I would be okay with Juice coming back for a year at an appropriate pay cut

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote