HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[OTT/CBJ] Nick Foligno for Marc Methot Part II

Old
07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

vCash: 500
You can go hard to the net and not take minors.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Problem is, he's not made for when it really matters...The Playoffs. Poking the puck with your stick and not taking the body in the playoffs will cost you. We saw it this year.
Fair point, but the team need to make the playoffs first. Losing your 1st pair d-man for imo a 3rd pair d-man is not a good way to ensure that coming from an 8th place team.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Half of the minors he got were complete bs.

What you're really complaining about is the officiating.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
He had what 6 Goaltender interference penalties?

2 of them were complete BS... The one where Alfie scored and it got waved off, and one against MTL where Price flopped...

I dont care about calls like that, Whats the difference between those and a guy getting 6 hooking calls?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
You're complaining that he hits and goes hard to the net?

Yes, i'm disagreeing with you. Strongly
I wasn't complaining. I'm saying that penalty minutes hurt the team. It's something to weigh against the benefits he brought (such as the hitting and going to the net). And not all big hitters take a tonne of penalties.

Dustin Brown: 293 hits, 24 minors, 53 PIM
Foligno: 196 hits, 37 minors, 124 PIM

Foligno: 9th in the league for minors, 457th in the league for TOI/game.

Last edited by Fenix Rises 2026: 07-08-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
I wasn't complaining. I'm saying that penalty minutes hurt the team. It's something to weigh against the benefits he brought (such as the hitting and going to the net). And not all big hitters take a tonne of penalties.

Dustin Brown: 293 hits, 24 minors, 53 PIM
Foligno: 196 hits, 37 minors, 124 PIM

Foligno: 9th in the league for minors, 457th in the league for TOI/game.
I just posted about 50 mins worth of pims that he didn't deserve. I agree, the officiating is laughable.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
I just posted about 50 mins worth of pims that he didn't deserve. I agree, the officiating is laughable.
The calls being BS doesn't matter, if he has a rep with crappy officials, he'll still get the penalties and it will still hurt the team. In the end, crappy officiating hurts everyone's penalty minutes, not just Foligno's, so his Pen mins relative to others is still a factor.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:27 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Because Kuba last year is at least just as good defensively as Methot, probably better. He is also significantly better offensively, can pass, shoot, play on the PP, which is something the defense needs.
I cannot wait until you disappear from these boards in the regular season, when Methot puts you to shame. Though you will probably lurk like a troll and wait for him to make one mistake so you can say "I told you so." You're taking this whole loss of Foligno thing like a child having a temper tantrum. You're post have no reasoning behind them, besides hearsay.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:40 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I cannot wait until you disappear from these boards in the regular season, when Methot puts you to shame. Though you will probably lurk like a troll and wait for him to make one mistake so you can say "I told you so." You're taking this whole loss of Foligno thing like a child having a temper tantrum. You're post have no reasoning behind them, besides hearsay.
uh, it's 100% fact that Kuba is significantly better offensively than Methot. Not hearsay. Both Phillips and Cowen will get PP time now. Is that an ideal situation?

I will gladly eat crow if Methot proves to be as effective as Kuba beside Karlsson. Gladly. I'm a Sens fan.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:43 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 400
Foligno has a rep now and the officials give him the penalties. Regardless if fair, the Sens still get penalized.

And the real question here is, would everyone be happy paying Foligno top 6 money to be a 3rd liner?

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

So much Kuba hate. The guy had a really solid year. Deserved all the minutes he got, the contract Florida gave him and was one of our top 5-6 players in 11-12. He'll be sorely missed on this team's blue line. Having Methot's mobility will be nice but I'm a little skeptical that his puck skills will be good enough to hold down that spot alongside Karlsson. I foresee a lot of bobbled pucks and Karlsson having to get on his horse to break up 2 on 1s. Nothing different there but Karlsson needs that outlet on the left point. He might not get that with Methot like he had with Kuba.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:56 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
uh, it's 100% fact that Kuba is significantly better offensively than Methot. Not hearsay. Both Phillips and Cowen will get PP time now. Is that an ideal situation?

I will gladly eat crow if Methot proves to be as effective as Kuba beside Karlsson. Gladly. I'm a Sens fan.
Murray said exactly what Methot was... there will be no surprise. He is a shut-down defenseman a defensive defenseman. I don't have any issues with Cowen on the PP, he has enough offensive upside and brains that it will likely be good for him.

Methot will be better than Kuba at making forecheckers think twice when entering our zone and if they don't realize who is on the ice, they will likely pay the price. Methot is as mobile as Kuba, but a ton more physical and will destroy the opposition versus angle them into the boards.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:57 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Foligno has a rep now and the officials give him the penalties. Regardless if fair, the Sens still get penalized.

And the real question here is, would everyone be happy paying Foligno top 6 money to be a 3rd liner?
Part of that was the Sens having a bad rep in general. Most of those bad penalties came after Maclean called out O'Rourke after the Karlsson incident. It also didn't help that Foligno went on Crosby's **** list.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:03 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
So much Kuba hate. The guy had a really solid year. Deserved all the minutes he got, the contract Florida gave him and was one of our top 5-6 players in 11-12. He'll be sorely missed on this team's blue line. Having Methot's mobility will be nice but I'm a little skeptical that his puck skills will be good enough to hold down that spot alongside Karlsson. I foresee a lot of bobbled pucks and Karlsson having to get on his horse to break up 2 on 1s. Nothing different there but Karlsson needs that outlet on the left point. He might not get that with Methot like he had with Kuba.
I doubt Methot plays with Karlsson much, Cowen would be a better option and leave Methot to play right d with phillips.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
I doubt Methot plays with Karlsson much, Cowen would be a better option and leave Methot to play right d with phillips.
more than likely methot will be with Gonchar.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:09 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Anyone know of any teams that have ever made the post season with a 22 and 21 year forming their top pairing? I'll just limit it to 23 and under.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:09 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
He thinks Foligno is a better player then Semin no point in arguing with him.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:12 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:

In 343 games with Ottawa, Kuba scored 14 goals. Many of his assists were of the second assist variety while on the pp. How many times can you recall Kuba setting someone up? He is what he is, a very strong positional two-way defenseman. Not a big shock that his best year was this past year, surprise, surprise... in a contract year. Also, the guy is 37 years old! Time to turn the page, I don't think the Sens will be missing his offense.

We Want the Cup 2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Anyone know of any teams that have ever made the post season with a 22 and 21 year forming their top pairing? I'll just limit it to 23 and under.
To be fair, that 22 year old has a Norris trophy. That's still really fun to say.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
In 343 games with Ottawa, Kuba scored 14 goals. Many of his assists were of the second assist variety while on the pp. How many times can you recall Kuba setting someone up? He is what he is, a very strong positional two-way defenseman. Not a big shock that his best year was this past year, surprise, surprise... in a contract year. Also, the guy is 37 years old! Time to turn the page, I don't think the Sens will be missing his offense.
I agree. Just because he has a decent amount of points does not mean he is as good offensively as some of you have stated in your comparison to Methot.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
St. Louis? Shattenkirk and Petro are both quite young, not sure if they played on the same pairing, but they are the 1 and 2 dmen for the blues.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:40 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

I agree with the first point. Foligno is getting rep calls, which regardless of the merit, are damaging the team.

Instead of whining about the officiating and getting more, there are other solutions.

I disagree with Foligno getting top six money. I'd say he is getting a bit of an overpaid tweener. But he scored 47 points, whether it was result of an offensive team, can be irrelevant in bargaining.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:04 PM
trobby

Man, I wish this trade never happened....

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLOVEkubasTUBA View Post
Man, I wish this trade never happened....
Chris Kelly or Nick Foligno? Who has a higher value to you? Cause they both make the same salary. Nick Foligno wanted too much money for his value.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:53 PM
trobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1989 View Post
Chris Kelly or Nick Foligno? Who has a higher value to you? Cause they both make the same salary. Nick Foligno wanted too much money for his value.
I'm all for the trade, but these threads make we want to turn back time....40+ pages for Nick Foligno...WTF...

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote