HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-08-2012, 03:18 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

vCash: 500
I still can't believe we got a legit bottom6er like Prust on this team. It'll do wonders against those ****-head clubs like Boston and Philly.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Proust

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think the improvements on the bottom 6 will make this team a little easier to watch, as at least now they have a hard working, gritty, physical players so at least they will be tougher to play against.

If you are rebuilding and are going to struggle to make the playoffs, I'd rather sit tight and not throw money at hired guns only to take on more overbloated contracts. In 2 years the Habs will have Gomez, Kabs, Gio and Markov off the books which is currently 4 of our 6 biggest contracts/cap space. I'd rather see us build through the draft, and add hard working character players in the meantime to set a good example for the incoming rookies/prospects over the next few years.

I think management is sending a message, when they have a bottom 6 that could be made up of Moen, White, Prust, Armstrong, it's clear the Habs want to add hard working character guys. If they are going to miss the playoffs again, better to have guys like them then soft lazy players like Semin, etc.... that just tie up cap space down the road and aren't players you want to build your team around.
Holy cow!

Could not have written it better!

Still can't believe we have Prust!! (maybe it has something to do with his french-Quebecoise girlfriend!!, love...can do wonders! it can even make someone move to highly-taxed/pot-hole-filled Montreal!! but we love Montreal even though 80% of construction contracts are owned by the ******* *****!!).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-08-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
very well explained... but those dogmatic about statistics, like religion, leave very little room for intelligent discussion.
It is a simple misapplication of reductionism. By reducing the "world" to merely the recorded numbers, one asserts that what is not recorded simply does not exist or do not matter. However, one can always create new stats to measure things, so what is recorded can always change. Not only that, but what is not recorded can indeed have relevance. Yes, we don't know how many squats Max Pac had done in the offseason or how many Twinkies he ate, but these things do directly affect his body, and thus his performance on ice.

Obviously, being able to play hockey is important in acquiring a player. Some people do fall into the trap of overemphasizing so-called intangibles. However, that does not mean these intangibles do not have a real effect on players. These supplementary skills help the team because it "gets the herd moving".

Industrial-organizational psychology is the branch of psychology studies the psychology of the workplace, although the branch of psychology is obscure; people become industrial-organizational psychology by accident. Various subjects are studied, including leadership, culture, and other similar subjects regarded with much disregard among the average population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industr...nal_psychology

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

How much did being pushed around as a team hurt us last year?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
About 100,000 to 200,000. 300,000 max. But see, if he's a problem, the action to take is simply not signing him at all.

I'd say he'd be good for 3-5 extra points based on improving workplace satisfaction, by serving as a catalyst to improve others' performance.

Prust, on the whole, when taking account his penalty killing, willingness to scrap, and being a good forechecker who can provide some supplementary scoring, might assist in acquiring 10 extra points.

As I see it, most of Prust's overpayment is due to teams simply having more money to toss around and hence can "overpay" without large penalty. Plus, Montreal has to sweeten the deal moreso than other team because the player is seeing less after-tax income there than elsewhere.
10 points?! As a 10% contributor on a 100pt team, 6mil on the open market would seem reasonable. Nope, way off.

Sorry to be a jerk, but my questions were rhetorical. There is no way for the Habs or anyone else to know how much Prust's "happiness quotient" will contribute to winning games. The Rangers, who certainly know Prust's character better than the Habs, decided that he doesn't produce $1mil more team happiness than Taylor Pyatt.

The whole debate is silly. Most hockey players seem like good guys. Especially depth players, whose pleasant demeanor probably helped them get a shot in the NHL in the first place. We're not choosing between Prust and Avery.

As for the Habs having to overpay free agents because of the tax situation... yes, but not by this much. Like many teams, we've been able to find effective depth forwards at bargain prices in recent years. This time, we went with the one who had recently been in the 24/7 and playoff spotlight. We're not paying for QC taxes or for a winning smile, we're paying for fame.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:09 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
How much did being pushed around as a team hurt us last year?
Silly question. I was going to respond then i said to myself. You as a hockey fan should already have the answer.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Silly question. I was going to respond then i said to myself. You as a hockey fan should already have the answer.
Hence our winning streak after Staubitz was acquired!

edit, ok, fine: *sarcasm*

Last edited by Roulin: 07-08-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Hence our winning streak after Staubitz was acquired!
That could have been because of that Markov guy too.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
ChoseLa

Yeah Prust is not gonna destroy Bostonians, if he drops with Lucic, Thornton or McQuaid he's in for a long night. What's good about him is that he'll do it. It's just great to have toughness on this team.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Yeah Prust is not gonna destroy Bostonians, if he drops with Lucic, Thornton or McQuaid he's in for a long night. What's good about him is that he'll do it. It's just great to have toughness on this team.
They'll all beat him with McQuaid being a toss up with him being 6'5.

I got excited for a second. I saw watsatheo post in here and though the video was done

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:22 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Prust never backs down from a fight.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
yianik

Prust was credited with a good number of hits by TSN, but sometimes these numbers dont match what people see on the ice, so does Prust hit alot and are they good, heavy hits ? Keeping an opponents head up and wearing them down is an important skill.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Hugo Sham

first we were roadkill now Prust won't beat the Bruins tough guys. who gives a flying ****? the guy is here to contribute and deter - as part of a new group toughness mentality. i could care less what bruin fans 'think' on the main board...a bottom 4 of armstrong, white, moen and prust will give the Bruins pause. Besides the giraffe and lucic aren't there to fight all night. a trio of white/moen/prust will keep thornton and mcquaid from running subban all night too. a great pickup. prust is a reincarnation of Nilan, minus the hands

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
first we were roadkill now Prust won't beat the Bruins tough guys. who gives a flying ****? the guy is here to contribute and deter - as part of a new group toughness mentality. i could care less what bruin fans 'think' on the main board...a bottom 4 of armstrong, white, moen and prust will give the Bruins pause. Besides the giraffe and lucic aren't there to fight all night. a trio of white/moen/prust will keep thornton and mcquaid from running subban all night too. a great pickup. prust is a reincarnation of Nilan, minus the hands
Yup.

Before it was the smurfs, now it's "oh yeah, well Lucic is still bigger".

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Prust can kill penalties, forecheck well, and be solid on defense. Some fourth liners can't do these things. And he's willing to fight along with being able to do these things. I don't think you can ask for much more, except maybe better pugilist skills. He's out of his league against Lucic, but lesser fighters like Paul Gaustad, Zac Rinaldo, or IDIOT KOMISAREK won't have free reign over like they did in the past.

Lucic is a bit of a shrewd fellow when it comes to fights. He doesn't often engage unless he feels he is likely going to be the winner. And Chara can beat anyone, really. Only thing is that knucklehead Thornton or even that coward Marchand might take himself off the ice for 2 or 5 minutes and thus get less opportunity to run people because he's ******** over a P.K Subban bodycheck.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
It's great that we added a fighter in Prust but I'm more interested in team toughness and I thought that after Cunney got promoted and around the latter half of the season we actually started to push teams around a bit. See games against: Vancouver, Edmonton, Detroit, Toronto and even Boston I think in our last bout against them, we were the most physical team and sometimes by far. I might be the only one that has been noticing that though... but I know I'm not (that) crazy as to hallucinate grit in an otherwise soft team because of our terrible season .

And as for the question posed a couple of posts above as to how many games did we lose because we got pushed around: too many. But like I said that tendency has slowly faded as the season progressed (and we got progressively worst) but some things did change at the core of the team and for the good too, I think that was one of those changes.

If it makes any sense, I'll resume it like this:

Before: Lose because of lack of grit, win because of skill.
After: Lose because lack of skill, manage to win some because of superior grit.

Of course it helps to have Blunden, White, Staubitz all playing big minutes because we were icing an AHL roster.

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 07-08-2012 at 08:40 PM.
poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Now, on what PK line will Prust play (if we assume that any new forward to come to that team don't play PK)?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Now, on what PK line will Prust play (if we assume that any new forward to come to that team don't play PK)?
Quite possibly taking Darche's spot and playing with Pleks ?

Old
07-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Quite possibly taking Darche's spot and playing with Pleks ?
I see him pairing up with Eller or Nokelainen more often than Pleks because Pleks is usually paired with Moen.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Dudley says Prust is going to play 3rd line

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:34 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They'll all beat him with McQuaid being a toss up with him being 6'5.
Remember this?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Dudley says Prust is going to play 3rd line
Link?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Lemons

Guys, Prust adds a completely new dynamic to the team. Rather than just being a solid PKer and 4th liner. He is a team player. Sticks up for his teammates. Connects the locker room by not only taking up a roster spot but inspires passion in the club. Which i am sorry to say, was'nt the case last year. There was 0 heart last year. No character. We were a lifeless club most of the year, and hopefully signing a guy like him is going to inspire the club. Hopefully Armstrong can pot 20 this year and hit 100pims and create a bond with Prust, Moen, White etc. These are the guys who know they're role in the club and complement the point producers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHI3HbabAo8

I love how he drops the gloves instantly when a teammate goes down.

If he brings this to the team. Money is well spent.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Remember this?

White doing well, but ultimately losing to a guy who has 5 inches on him ? Yeah,I remember that.