HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Hindsight - Sami Salo?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
  #1
McDugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Hindsight - Sami Salo?

OK, I didn't even realize Salo was on the market... total Monday-morning QB move on my part, but why didn't the Flyers go after him?

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:36 AM
  #2
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDugan View Post
OK, I didn't even realize Salo was on the market... total Monday-morning QB move on my part, but why didn't the Flyers go after him?
Probably age and injury issues. I would have stayed away too. We didn't need another 35+ contract that exceeds a one year deal.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:39 AM
  #3
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Too injury prone

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
  #4
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,625
vCash: 6115
They were all in on Parise/Suter. There's Salo-like players available still.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
  #5
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They were all in on Parise/Suter. There's Salo-like players available still.
Obviously I'm not in the inner circle, but I really want to know why they thought they had a chance with these two, especially Suter. I guess they felt they had enough money to make it interesting, but I never saw Suter coming here. Also, they clearly didn't feel too strongly about Carle.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
  #6
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Because he's made of Glass. We can't afford to have defenseman miss time like that.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  #7
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,625
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Obviously I'm not in the inner circle, but I really want to know why they thought they had a chance with these two, especially Suter. I guess they felt they had enough money to make it interesting, but I never saw Suter coming here. Also, they clearly didn't feel too strongly about Carle.
They thought they could buy Suter's desire to stay in the west from him.

When other teams are offering like-salaries, it becomes irrelevant. Would love to know just exactly when Suter told the Flyers no, because from the sounds if it, he wasn't even considering anyone else but Detroit. And Parise wasn't considering anyone else but New Jersey.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
  #8
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Obviously I'm not in the inner circle, but I really want to know why they thought they had a chance with these two, especially Suter. I guess they felt they had enough money to make it interesting, but I never saw Suter coming here. Also, they clearly didn't feel too strongly about Carle.
I think the idea was to drive up the price on PITT so they couldn't sign them both if that was an option. Morganti and Jones said as much this morning on WIP.

I think they had a $ amount committed to spending on their D unless it was for a true #1.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:20 AM
  #9
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Been said before, but yeah age and fragility. Big big risk taking this guy on for even one yr, and a two yr is really rolling the dice.

Last yr he was paid 2 mil on a one yr deal and he did real well. Such a deal would work well, but others are desperate and gave him too much cash for too long a term.

When healthy he's fully worth 2 -3 mil. but...

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM
  #10
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 6,006
vCash: 500
I dont really think the Flyers were "all in" on Parise and Suter. I dont think anyone ever expected either of them to come here. It was more of an "if they come here, great, if not, whatever, it doesnt change anything" kind of situation.

The only thing the team lost out on as a result of making a play for ZP/RS was Matt Carle and I doubt they would have re-signed Carle at $5.5m even if they werent going after ZP/RS.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:13 AM
  #11
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,916
vCash: 50
We need a healthy D, just watch last year. We can't afford having like 3 guys out of the line up all the time.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:32 AM
  #12
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
We need a healthy D, just watch last year. We can't afford having like 3 guys out of the line up all the time.
We need depth at D. You will be lucky to begin with to have healthy d-men all season long, but in this system they are much more active which increases the chance of injury. The Flyers look to be strong with defensive depth this year, but they still need to find that top guy.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:34 AM
  #13
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm a big fan of Sami Salo when he is healthy. But that is like 14 games per year. Very happy they didn't get him. With all the injuries this team had on defense last year, the last thing they needed was a far more injury prone defenseman.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:16 AM
  #14
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,625
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm a big fan of Sami Salo when he is healthy. But that is like 14 games per year. Very happy they didn't get him. With all the injuries this team had on defense last year, the last thing they needed was a far more injury prone defenseman.
Salo has played less than 59 games once since 2001 (before he was traded to Vancouver), that's not 80 (which he's never done), he likely plays hurt a lot (not unlike Timonen), but the notion that the guy is held together with duct tape and rubber bands isn't true either. The other day you said Fedotenko was a 20-goal scorer when he's only done that once, ever. Just wondering, do you look things up just to kind of make sure before you start throwing out things that aren't true?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:43 AM
  #15
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Salo has played less than 59 games once since 2001 (before he was traded to Vancouver), that's not 80 (which he's never done), he likely plays hurt a lot (not unlike Timonen), but the notion that the guy is held together with duct tape and rubber bands isn't true either. The other day you said Fedotenko was a 20-goal scorer when he's only done that once, ever. Just wondering, do you look things up just to kind of make sure before you start throwing out things that aren't true?
Haha. Salo has played more than 70 games just twice in his 13 (going on 14 year career). Obviously the 14 games per year was sarcasm, but the guy is clearly one of the more injury prone players in the league.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
  #16
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,625
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. Salo has played more than 70 games just twice in his 13 (going on 14 year career). Obviously the 14 games per year was sarcasm, but the guy is clearly one of the more injury prone players in the league.
He has years of 66, 67, 68, and 69. He gets hurt, not unlike other hockey players, but he's not held together by duct tape and rubber bands. Had he still be available after Carle signed, he would have been a decent replacement, although Carle has significant advantages as a player in what would separate the two.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
  #17
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He has years of 66, 67, 68, and 69. He gets hurt, not unlike other hockey players, but he's not held together by duct tape and rubber bands. Had he still be available after Carle signed, he would have been a decent replacement, although Carle has significant advantages as a player in what would separate the two.
Sami Salo has played an average of 64 games per season (rounded up) in his career. He has never played a full season. He has only broken 70 games twice, the nearest being almost a decade ago. That is an injury prone player, probably one of the more injury prone players that has played as long as he has. With the injury issues this team has had as of late, I don't think signing an aging veteran who during his career has shown he is good for 3/4 of a season. If you are willing to take that risk, great. But me not wanting him because he is injury prone is not some outlandish claim. Just out of curiosity, at what point would a player be too injury prone for you? In other words, if 64 games a year is an acceptable risk, what would be unacceptable?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:01 PM
  #18
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,625
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Sami Salo has played an average of 64 games per season (rounded up) in his career. He has never played a full season. He has only broken 70 games twice, the nearest being almost a decade ago. That is an injury prone player, probably one of the more injury prone players that has played as long as he has. With the injury issues this team has had as of late, I don't think signing an aging veteran who during his career has shown he is good for 3/4 of a season. If you are willing to take that risk, great. But me not wanting him because he is injury prone is not some outlandish claim. Just out of curiosity, at what point would a player be too injury prone for you? In other words, if 64 games a year is an acceptable risk, what would be unacceptable?
If you operate like any other team does, you should be able to plug in 8-9 defensemen to play at an NHL level every year. 64 games is nearly 80% of the season and if you take out 2010 it still is over 80% of the season, which the difference is generally what you should expect from non-regulars.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:16 PM
  #19
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 6,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If you operate like any other team does, you should be able to plug in 8-9 defensemen to play at an NHL level every year. 64 games is nearly 80% of the season and if you take out 2010 it still is over 80% of the season, which the difference is generally what you should expect from non-regulars.
You're forgetting that injuries make players worse. 64 games of Salo is not the same as 64 games with a healthy Salo.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:46 PM
  #20
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If you operate like any other team does, you should be able to plug in 8-9 defensemen to play at an NHL level every year. 64 games is nearly 80% of the season and if you take out 2010 it still is over 80% of the season, which the difference is generally what you should expect from non-regulars.
What point are you trying to make here? That Salo is not a regular or that playing 80% of the games in your career is to be expected/acceptable?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:02 PM
  #21
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If you operate like any other team does, you should be able to plug in 8-9 defensemen to play at an NHL level every year. 64 games is nearly 80% of the season and if you take out 2010 it still is over 80% of the season, which the difference is generally what you should expect from non-regulars.
Where the hell are you going with this ? Sami is always injured. Why look to sign players that never complete a season.

He referenced his poor record at playing games. I bet you love the sound of your own voice.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
  #22
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Obviously I'm not in the inner circle, but I really want to know why they thought they had a chance with these two, especially Suter. I guess they felt they had enough money to make it interesting, but I never saw Suter coming here. Also, they clearly didn't feel too strongly about Carle.
Homer was just trying to drive up the price for Pitt or NJ. No credible source reported that those two were anything other than the longest of long shots to come here. Weeks before FA started, it was common knowledge Suter had no desire to play in the East.

Homer tied his own hands on the 1% chance one or both accepted. Carle & Jagr walk out the door and we are left to sign retreads and table scraps. How did we improve?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:12 PM
  #23
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They thought they could buy Suter's desire to stay in the west from him.

When other teams are offering like-salaries, it becomes irrelevant. Would love to know just exactly when Suter told the Flyers no, because from the sounds if it, he wasn't even considering anyone else but Detroit. And Parise wasn't considering anyone else but New Jersey.
I wondered the same thing. Following the days up until the signing, it was reported when both Suter and Parise notified teams when they were no longer being considered.

I don't recall ever seeing anything about either player telling the Flyers they were no longer being considered. I don't think either camp even slightly considered our offers, and saw them for what they were.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
  #24
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,625
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
You're forgetting that injuries make players worse. 64 games of Salo is not the same as 64 games with a healthy Salo.
Injuries are part of the game. Every player has been or is hurt by the end of the season. Timonen probably should have sat out a few more games as he was wearing out (and then for hurt again) in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Where the hell are you going with this ? Sami is always injured. Why look to sign players that never complete a season.

He referenced his poor record at playing games. I bet you love the sound of your own voice.

The Flyers signed Lilja for 2 years with a worse track record, signed Sean O'Donnell two years ago with plans on giving him nights off (and then foolishly did not), and Gervais has only played 65 NHL games twice in 7 years (many healthy scratches in there), so the Flyers don't expect everyone they sign to play 82 games. Also, Jody Shelley.

As for my voice, you sound like you hate my "voice" yet you reply to me in almost any thread I'm in, and almost immediately go off topic, so maybe you're speaking for yourself?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:01 PM
  #25
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Injuries are part of the game. Every player has been or is hurt by the end of the season. Timonen probably should have sat out a few more games as he was wearing out (and then for hurt again) in the playoffs.




The Flyers signed Lilja for 2 years with a worse track record, signed Sean O'Donnell two years ago with plans on giving him nights off (and then foolishly did not), and Gervais has only played 65 NHL games twice in 7 years (many healthy scratches in there), so the Flyers don't expect everyone they sign to play 82 games. Also, Jody Shelley.

As for my voice, you sound like you hate my "voice" yet you reply to me in almost any thread I'm in, and almost immediately go off topic, so maybe you're speaking for yourself?
There is a big difference between signing a 7th dman or 13th forward with the expectation of them not playing every night and signing a regular guy who will only play at best 80% of the season. Come on.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.