HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2012, 01:33 PM
  #51
JSavoire
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
dunno if its huge news sarnia traded dman Thomas Welsh to Missy for a 5th round pick.

anyone got more info on him.
Yes, he played for Don Mills Flyers a few years back and picked up a last minute spot with a strong Prep School team is the USA known as Salisbury Prep. Played the past 2 seasons with them and is committed to Penn State. He's approx. 5ft11 and 190+ pounds and plays a defensive defenseman's game and was noted for a solid shot from the point and being a physical defenseman. I'm curious as to why Missy took him...do they think they can sign him away from Penn State? I'm assuming teams must have some advanced scouting in place to suggest they have a shot at getting a player to come over?

JSavoire is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
  #52
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Yes, he played for Don Mills Flyers a few years back and picked up a last minute spot with a strong Prep School team is the USA known as Salisbury Prep. Played the past 2 seasons with them and is committed to Penn State. He's approx. 5ft11 and 190+ pounds and plays a defensive defenseman's game and was noted for a solid shot from the point and being a physical defenseman. I'm curious as to why Missy took him...do they think they can sign him away from Penn State? I'm assuming teams must have some advanced scouting in place to suggest they have a shot at getting a player to come over?
If I'm not mistaken Welsh was ranked as a AA prospect and projected to go top 40 in the 2011 OHL draft but fell due to the NCAA concerns. He can definitely hold his own, he can project as a top 4 defensemen. He plays steady, similar to Trevor Carrick with more offensive potential. Unsure if he's willing to decommit to Penn State but playing closer to home will definitely help Mississauga's case.

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
  #53
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Anyone have any leads or rumours of what Boyd may do. Trades? Etc?

Id love for him to pick up an explosive forward like AA from London.

Who knows....

Torts is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 01:30 AM
  #54
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
http://www.mississauga.com/sports/ar...r-team-colours

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
06-19-2012, 05:44 PM
  #55
SocksNjocks
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Had a chance to see burnside play in the local summer league a couple weeks ago.
The kid was just flying out there. Leads the league in scoring. Looking for big things from
Him next year

SocksNjocks is offline  
Old
06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
  #56
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
When can we expect the jerseys to be revealed?

defensehockey19 is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
  #57
93skaterz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
What summer league is he in?? Checked Carnevale but he is not listed?

93skaterz is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
  #58
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93skaterz View Post
What summer league is he in?? Checked Carnevale but he is not listed?
He might have been mistaken. Burnside doesn't play in any summer league, but I do agree that I think he'll have a big year. Got the chance to see him at a skate the other day, the kid has wheels. He gained about 15lbs since the season's been out.

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
06-21-2012, 06:54 PM
  #59
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
He might have been mistaken. Burnside doesn't play in any summer league, but I do agree that I think he'll have a big year. Got the chance to see him at a skate the other day, the kid has wheels. He gained about 15lbs since the season's been out.
ye he tweeted a month ago that he gained 15 lbs, im sure its higher than that now

and he should have grown an inch or 2 hopefully. should be rdy to compete for a top 6 spot.

Torts is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 05:02 PM
  #60
SocksNjocks
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
ye he tweeted a month ago that he gained 15 lbs, im sure its higher than that now

and he should have grown an inch or 2 hopefully. should be rdy to compete for a top 6 spot.
I think he's a Joel ward type. Can do a little bit of everything

SocksNjocks is offline  
Old
06-22-2012, 06:40 PM
  #61
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocksNjocks View Post
I think he's a Joel ward type. Can do a little bit of everything
im not lying when i say this, he was our best player in the playoffs i believe

in other news

good luck to trevor carrick and kristoff kontos today and tomorrow.

Torts is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
  #62
Twix
Patch of velcro
 
Twix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 801
vCash: 500
Wow, the new name and logo is just plain awful. I would of suggested the Mississauga McCallions with a logo of an angry Hazel McCallion.


Twix is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
  #63
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Congrats to Trevor on being drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes

Torts is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
  #64
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
Do any Mississauga fans mind giving a Bulls fan a scouting report on Sergey Kuptsov? I have yet to see him play, although I'm intrigued by what I've read so far.

heusy_79 is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 04:09 PM
  #65
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Do any Mississauga fans mind giving a Bulls fan a scouting report on Sergey Kuptsov? I have yet to see him play, although I'm intrigued by what I've read so far.
great skater, good shot, just didnt finish a lot last year. 2013 draft year as a late 94. if he polishes his game up he could be a very good player. was hoping big things from him this year. if vasilevski dosnt come over belleville got the better of the deal.

Torts is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 04:42 PM
  #66
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
great skater, good shot, just didnt finish a lot last year. 2013 draft year as a late 94. if he polishes his game up he could be a very good player. was hoping big things from him this year. if vasilevski dosnt come over belleville got the better of the deal.
Thanks, I like this move as a Bulls fan, he should get a shot to play in the top 6 and maybe even on the top line with Gaunce and Zharkov. Good luck with Vasilevski, if it pans out the Steelheads will have landed themselves a great goalie.

heusy_79 is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 04:47 PM
  #67
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Thanks, I like this move as a Bulls fan, he should get a shot to play in the top 6 and maybe even on the top line with Gaunce and Zharkov. Good luck with Vasilevski, if it pans out the Steelheads will have landed themselves a great goalie.
should light it up on bigger ice. just my opinion though

Torts is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 03:47 PM
  #68
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,259
vCash: 500
Awful Logo, Colours and team name... Who's the clown in charge ? And how do I boycott the homeopener ? This guy took one of the nicest CHL jerseys... And ruined it...

Seriously what a joke of a junior team name..

#HorribleOwner

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 03:56 PM
  #69
Miller4Gold
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Awful Logo, Colours and team name... Who's the clown in charge ? And how do I boycott the homeopener ? This guy took one of the nicest CHL jerseys... And ruined it...

Seriously what a joke of a junior team name..

#HorribleOwner
Boycotts are easy, you just dont go. Surprised you needed to ask.

Miller4Gold is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 06:09 PM
  #70
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Awful Logo, Colours and team name... Who's the clown in charge ? And how do I boycott the homeopener ? This guy took one of the nicest CHL jerseys... And ruined it...

Seriously what a joke of a junior team name..

#HorribleOwner
I've heard many people say they will boycott the Steelheads this season. I think that people are overreacting to this team name and logo nonsense, honestly its just a logo WHO CARES. What people fail to realize is that the team HAD no option but to change the name with Melnyk no longer apart of the organization. The team had to drop the full St. Michael's Majors not just St. Michael's. And to the fans that don't like the name you had the option to vote so why are you complaining. You even had the option to suggest your own name for the team. Brampton and Mississauga are two talented hockey clubs who barely get fan support, their buildings are empty.

This had nothing to do with the new owner, the fans were just as much responsible. I've had the pleasure of watching this team this past season and it was really good hockey especially in the playoffs against Barrie (some of the best OHL playoff hockey). Unfortunately I won't see much of the team next year as I will be in and out of the city but to boycott a talented hard working hockey team over a logo sounds absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't change the hockey. My rant for the day lol.

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 11:39 AM
  #71
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Awful Logo, Colours and team name... Who's the clown in charge ? And how do I boycott the homeopener ? This guy took one of the nicest CHL jerseys... And ruined it...

Seriously what a joke of a junior team name..

#HorribleOwner
thats such a shame, we wont be missing you unfortunately

Torts is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 06:21 PM
  #72
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!
 
gojacketsgo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
I still don't believe that logo is the real logo. It's the worst logo I have ever seen in the pro-hockey other than that Blues logo that keenan rejected. I actually prefer the abstract coyote.

gojacketsgo61 is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
  #73
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Riley Brace will join Dylan DeMelo at Sharks Development Camp

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637357

Torts is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
  #74
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Looks like Vasilevski may be staying in Russia this year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/...rei-vasilevski

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 10:51 AM
  #75
Snaggle
nice sauce
 
Snaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I've heard many people say they will boycott the Steelheads this season. I think that people are overreacting to this team name and logo nonsense, honestly its just a logo WHO CARES.
This. I think it's absolutely silly that fans are boycotting the team just because of their name and logo. Seriously, who cares? You should appreciate the players and the game itself. This isn't a fashion show.

Snaggle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.