Straka to LA

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 05:18 PM
R A D I C K

vCash: 500
Straka to LA

for Strbak & Anshakov.

An injury-prone team gets an injury-prone player.

Reported on Fox Sports South

Old
11-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
Quote:
Originally Posted by R A D I C K
for Strbak & Anshakov.

An injury-prone team gets an injury-prone player.

Reported on Fox Sports South

IF they KINGS have any kind of good luck, he won't drink the water out there.......

Old
11-30-2003, 07:09 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirtbag
With Allison gone, LA manages to acquire a Center to fill his void. I find it rather intereting that he was traded to LA for 2 questionable prospects. This isn't the 1st time the Pens have done this. Have the Jagr or Kovalev trades made them better so far? Add Straka to the list of bad trades.

Rico Fata is the only one doing anything for what they got in return for those guys.
Yeah no kidding, I have no idea what managment see's in the prospects the aquire. At the time of the Jagr trade, Jagr was arguably the league's best player and all they got were three prospects in return, I thought Kris Beech would turn into a solid player but right now his play has dropped off.

As for Fata, this guy has suprised me, I saw him play in junior a lot, I thought he was great, simply the fastest player that I've ever seen but I was never sold on the fact that he'd make an impact NHLer and after his stints in Calgary and the Rangers I thought he'd actually turn out to be a bust but this kid has had a great year despite playing on a team full of AHLers.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:45 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirtbag
With Allison gone, LA manages to acquire a Center to fill his void. I find it rather intereting that he was traded to LA for 2 questionable prospects. This isn't the 1st time the Pens have done this. Have the Jagr or Kovalev trades made them better so far? Add Straka to the list of bad trades.

Rico Fata is the only one doing anything for what they got in return for those guys.
straka isn't all that great as a center- he's far better as a winger.

Old
12-01-2003, 05:25 AM
Killerbeez

Why does the league allow the Pens to self destruct? Are they conducting business in good faith here? Imagine being a longstanding season ticket holder watching your team auctioned off piece by piece for little to no return. You paid your money expecting to see your stars and they get dealt away for little return one at a time. This is the Montreal Expos all over again. Its time to take this toy away from Super Mario and either move it or grow it where it sits.

Just imagine a team loaded with the stars that have been dumped from Pittsburgh. This is why the league needs not only a salary cap, but a floor as well.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbeez
Why does the league allow the Pens to self destruct? Are they conducting business in good faith here? Imagine being a longstanding season ticket holder watching your team auctioned off piece by piece for little to no return. You paid your money expecting to see your stars and they get dealt away for little return one at a time. This is the Montreal Expos all over again. Its time to take this toy away from Super Mario and either move it or grow it where it sits.

Just imagine a team loaded with the stars that have been dumped from Pittsburgh. This is why the league needs not only a salary cap, but a floor as well.
The league officials should step up and do one of two things:

1.) Tell the Penguins they can pack it up and go home for the season and be guaranteed the 3rd overall pick. Take rest of the year off.

2.) Tell the Penguins to start playing hockey, stop dumping players and salary, or else. Give them an ultimative: If you don't win at least 20 games, you forfeit your 1st rounder to the Bruins.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:19 AM
Jeff from Maine

Actually...

Actually, I think you guys are selling Anshankov short. He is considered to be a very solid prospect. he certainly isnt a guy who figures to be a stud, but he should certainly be a very good player in the NHL.

And look at this objectively...

PIttsburgh is cash strapped and barely afloat as a franchise. they HAD to dump a contract that was doing NOTHING for them.

Straka had been underachieving and needed to be moved out!

I see this as a nice move for Pittsburgh! They get a guy who should end up being a very good player AND move out a big contract.

Also a great pick up for LA.

When they get healthy, their group of forwards will rival Colorados!

Nice move by both teams.

Later

Old
12-01-2003, 06:36 AM
Killerbeez

Jeff,

I was looking at this move as just one of the many made by pittsburgh. I'm not selling anyone short here. My only point is that the league talks about being competetive in one breath and allows a team to hold yard sales that go unchecked in another. There are AHL teams that would give the Pens a tough run of it on any given night. Mario is only there because he'd have lost his shirt if the Pens folded or moved. After he has enough bankroll, he will unceremoniously dump the rest of the team as well.....Is that ethical?

Old
12-01-2003, 08:08 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
But the league does not have much leverage. By all accounts, the Penguins are a losing proposition financially. The league can't step in and say "you have to lose more money!" The trades the Pens make seem to be motivated by pure salary dumps.

It is a bit curious why they don't get better name prospects. The Jagr trade was not so bad (at the time). But the Kovalev deal looked brutal and the Kings trade is only so-so (I admit to knowing very little about what the Kings sent back). At the same time, the Pens have hardly helped the rich get richer. None of the teams that have picked their pocket for stars are the better for it.

The sad thing is that the Penguins are a complete disgrace as an NHL team. Buffalo has rebuilt nicely with young players and prospects and could emerge in a couple years as a nice team. The Islanders went through a similar cost cutting exercise a few years back and came out of it with a boatload of talent. The Penguins don't have much to show for the moves they have made. Regarding Fata, remember that Alex Daigle also looked good there for a stretch before returning to earth. Don't be fooled by short-term gains.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:49 AM
ron jeremy jacobs

This is a good trade for both sides. The Kings could possibly make a run at a Cup if Deadmarsh and Allison ever play for them again. And what is Pittsburgh going to do, get worse by trading Straka?

This is a classic case where both teams are on opposite ends of the success cycle. LA needs to win now, or within the next few years with Allison, Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, Cechmanek, Robitaille, and their current corps of veterans. Prospects don't help there; by the time Anshankov is established and useful in the NHL, those veterans mentioned above will be on the downsides of their careers. And making top dollars while doing it. Their window is closing and they need to make something of it now because in a few years they will need to break it up and rebuild again. (Think of where Detroit is right now, although I don't think they really believe their run is over. It is.)

The Pens stink now, and need to rebuild around their few young players like Beech, Orpik and Fata, and future superstar Fleury. To do this they must add more prospects to the mix who might turn out to be good NHL players at short money. This means they need to trade older, more expensive players for players who are younger, and whose rights they will control for a long time. Once they have a respectable young core to build around, they can start to backfill with veteran talent and make another run at glory.

This is how Ottawa was built, and how the Bruins should have been buile when they bottomed out in '96-97 and then drafted Samsonov and Thornton.

Closed Thread