HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

General Anime Discussion (Summer Season has Begun)

Old
07-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

vCash: 50
General Anime Discussion (Summer Season has Begun)

Fall Season just started. Slim pickings this time.

Last edited by Dugray: 10-02-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Updating it for the 2013 Summer Season
Dugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Richie10

vCash: 500
Not really watching anything new. However, I have been rewatching Trigun and it's totally fantastic.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

I haven't watched anything new in a long time. They are new to me, but you know what I mean.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Not really watching anything new. However, I have been rewatching Trigun and it's totally fantastic.
Amen.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:33 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Cowboy Bebop or bust.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Cowboy Bebop or bust.
And this. My wife loves Gein, the dog. Me, well, I love Faye.

I also found my old Battle Angel DVD and popped it in the other day. Probably the most depressing anime of all time. Can't wait until James Cameron finally makes an adaptation.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post
Well, I made a post for the Spring Season so I figured I'd make one for the recently started summer season (even though only one person bothered posting in it). Summer Anime are usually pretty terrible so I figured I'd highlight a couple that are interesting and or just completely weird as ****.

So without further ado.

Sword Art Online

Quick Summary: Sword Art Online is the most in demand MMORPG ever created, utilizing Virtual Reality technology you are transported into this gorgeous world. With only 10,000 copies created, only 10,000 players will get the chance to play. However, upon release the log out option has been removed from the game. The creator of the game is now in control and has made this world one of real danger as dying in the game means death in the real world. Attempting to remove the virtual reality headgear also means death. The only way out is to clear the 100 levels of the games dungeon. 1 Month after release, 2,000 players are now dead, and the first level has not been cleared.
It's funny how everything in anime is serious business. And you can die or suffer a life-threatening injury from the most mundane activities.

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Soldier View Post
It's funny how everything in anime is serious business. And you can die or suffer a life-threatening injury from the most mundane activities.
Hey man, those Boars pack a mean punch.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:01 PM
pahlsson

oh **** yuru yuri 2 omg

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Unholy

Makes me miss AX already..

I haven't checked the full schedule myself but I really want to watch Break Blade already. Had a chance to buy it last weekend but didn't.. now I gotta get it off Amazon.

07-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Doraemon

Wonder if there is any 2012 Doraemon

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:45 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
oh **** yuru yuri 2 omg
watched 1st ep, was glorious

Old
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Augscura

Really hoping for a second season of Deadman Wonderland.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Cowboy Bebop or bust.
Should check out Samurai Champloo it's a lot like Bebop.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:49 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hail agriculture. Even if they ruined the character designs.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:22 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
Should check out Samurai Champloo it's a lot like Bebop.
Seen it. I liked it, mainly for the music (Nujabes is my favorite producer) and some of the stylistic choices. I found the last arc to be somewhat underwhelming, but I'm glad that (end spoiler)
Spoil:
they went their separate ways in the end rather than having the trio stay together

I really only got into anime for a brief period starting in 2006 when my freshman roommate showed me some shows. I stopped watching new stuff in 2008 or 2009 I believe. The entirety of what I have watched is...

-Cowboy Bebop (The pinnacle of anime, to me. Unfortunately it also ruined almost every other series for me.)

-Clannad (Definitely my second favorite... So funny at times and so gutwrenchingly sad at others.)

-Baccano! (Loved it. Great characters, awesome storytelling aspects, great music, awesome setting. After Bebop, this is my favorite example of an anime series as a serious artform, but even so it is pretty far behind.)

-Spirited Away (awesome)

Eden of the East (Only saw season 1, enjoyed it)

-Samurai Champloo

-Yakitate! Japan (the dumbest show I've ever seen, but it's hilarious... It's about a kid who aspires to create a bread that the nation of Japan can call its own, similar to French bread. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and is unbelievably cheesy... Also, it has a great opening song)

-Nodame Cantabile (a funny show about a classical music school with some great characters)

-Haruhi season 1 (I thought it was hilarious, especially the Real Time Strategy game episode... I heard the second season is the same episode over and over, no thanks)

-Hajime No Ippo (I used to box competitively, so I started watching this and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it despite it being so incredibly cheesy/unrealistic... I think I stopped watching during the "New Challenger" season)

-Full Metal Panic (I really liked this one. The two serious seasons were solid and the "Fumoffu" comedy was hilarious. The episode with the creepy guy in the horse costume who likes to give schoolgirls ponytails was so ****ing funny.)

-Elfen Lied (Ridiculous fan service but overall a decent show.)

-Lovely Complex (I have no idea why I watched this, but it was a pretty funny show with a decent romantic storyline)

-Lucky Star (pretty funny after I had watched most of the rest of this list... I still missed a ton of the references but overall it was a good dumb show and the "LUCKY CHANNEL" bits were hysterical)

-Azumanga Daoih (Also hilariously stupid.)

-Naruto (my friend showed me the Lee vs Gaara fight and I thought it was pretty cool so I started watching, thus beginning my venture into anime... he didn't tell me how many damn episodes there were. I watched all of the original series (including almost all the ****ing fillers) and then a ton of Shippuuden until
Spoil:
a few episodes after Jiraiya died

-Bleach (also watched way too much of this... stopped when there were a bunch of fights going on in that desert)

-Love Hina (I actually watched this during high school on a Winamp channel that used to stream the series 24/7... I got bored of doing things when I was supposed to be studying for my state exams so I watched the whole thing in a day and thought it was pretty dumb but couldn't stop watching)

A few that I meant to watch are...
-Planetes
-Akira (I know I'm supposed to have watched this but I never really felt like it)
-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Old
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
-Naruto (my friend showed me the Lee vs Gaara fight and I thought it was pretty cool so I started watching, thus beginning my venture into anime... he didn't tell me how many damn episodes there were. I watched all of the original series (including almost all the ****ing fillers) and then a ton of Shippuuden until
Spoil:
a few episodes after Jiraiya died
You should watch the end of the Pain arc its great, I pretty much stopped right after it though.

Quote:
-Bleach (also watched way too much of this... stopped when there were a bunch of fights going on in that desert)
Depending on which Heuco Mundo fight you were on it starts to have some epic fights in HM and Karakura town. But Season 13 is just massive filler/side story I couldn't even watch it.

Quote:
Akira (I know I'm supposed to have watched this but I never really felt like it)
Watch it, just the atmosphere the movie is able to create can be haunting at times.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:13 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
You should watch the end of the Pain arc its great, I pretty much stopped right after it though.

Depending on which Heuco Mundo fight you were on it starts to have some epic fights in HM and Karakura town. But Season 13 is just massive filler/side story I couldn't even watch it.

Watch it, just the atmosphere the movie is able to create can be haunting at times.
The last Bleach fight I remember is
Spoil:
Kenpachi vs. the guy with the giant figure 8 "sword", but I'm not sure if I finished that part or if I just stopped then.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:15 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Are we just gonna treat this as the generic anime topic? Seems like a good idea.

I've been trying to get caught up on older shows. Right now I'm watching Clannad.

DeflatedFootball7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:47 AM
pahlsson

what are some stuff still going on from spring

Old
07-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Are we just gonna treat this as the generic anime topic? Seems like a good idea.

I've been trying to get caught up on older shows. Right now I'm watching Clannad.
There's an older thread with a lot of pages if you want to dig it up to see what's been mentioned. Going to do that myself later because I have new stuff to watch.

Don't see myself watching anything that recently came out, think I will rewatch Gundam SEED though.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:21 AM
SolidSnakeUS

The ones I've picked up so far:

Oda Nobuna no Yabou, Muv-Luv Alternative, SAO, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, Asa Made Jugyou Chu!, Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai, and Hagure Yuusha no Estetica for now.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:12 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

This Summer the goal is to complete...

DragonballZ Kai - Completed this week actually
Working! - On second disc
K-On!
Cat Planet Cuties
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

I will add more to the list once I complete FMAB

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:59 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post

Get some tissues ready.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
what are some stuff still going on from spring
Accel World is still going on from the Spring, as well as Hyouka which started late and still has 2 more episodes left.