HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part VIII): Still no decision with Doan

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Also - if there is one player I would "gut the team for" it would be Getzlaf
Isn't Getzlaf quickly letting himself get to Thornton status?

Old
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
After watching some old recorded games from last season, I realized that just like most people on this board, I have been enamored with the idea of a shinny new toy, such as Nash, Ryan or Semin.

I totally forgot what the real issue was, our 3rd line couldn't do ****, and should of actually been our 4th line. The most common complaint on this board wasn't about Stepan, Callahan, or our top 6 guys. We'll maybe dubi but he was demoted pretty early on, but was that Boyle and Prust should not be on the third line.

With Kreider coming up he helps solve this a little, but I think if we can sign a guy like Kostitsyn, or even Huelius and have them play 3rd line minutes this team will be able to survive until gaborik is back, and really be a force once he is playing.

Lets take a look at our lineup during the Winter Classic, compared to what it would be with the addition of a third liner.

Winter Classic Lineup:

Anisimov Stepan Gaborik

Callahan Richards Hagelin

Dubinsky Boyle Mitchell

Feds Rupp Prust

Fake 2012 - 2013 Lineup

Callahan Stepan Kreider (Gaborik*)

Dubinsky Richards Kostitsyn or Huselius (Kreider*)

Hagelin Anisimov Pyatt (Kostitsyn or Huselius*)

Asham Boyle Rupp (Pyatt*)

(*) = Line up when Gaborik is back

When Gaborik is back this lineup could potentially have a 3rd line of 3 30 pt players, I don't believe there is any other team in the NHL that has that type of depth.

While Teams won't have to worry about game planning to stop a two stars, they will have to spread their top 6 thin in order to prevent their third line from being taken to school.

Thoughts?
I'd like to stay the course and not trade away a bunch of roster players for nash i like our line up like this..

Hagelin-Richards-Gabby
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubi-Anisimov-Pyatt
Rupp/Haley-Boyle-Asham

McTruck-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-Bickel/Erixon

Very Very Deep legit lineup

Old
07-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm at the point where I am almost starting to pity the Devils. Just lost Larry Robinson.

But then I look at their board and I remember why I could never pity those guys.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
hypothetically if we do trade dubi aa mdz 1st for nash our lineup is the following

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Nash-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Boyle-Pyatt
Rupp-Haley-Asham

McTruck-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Erixon-Bickel ????

Our top 6 is pretty legit but our depth is ehhh
We technically could find a 3rd line center and boyle goes to 4th line

Old
07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm at the point where I am almost starting to pity the Devils. Just lost Larry Robinson.

But then I look at their board and I remember why I could never pity those guys.
where did robinson go?

Old
07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Pizza

The asking price for Weber would be huge. HUGE. Because Poile will want to keep him. More than ever now. So if it's a trade he will ask the moon and stars, and if your still fine with that....well then maybe it happens. Think McD and Kreider as a starting point.

That said, I'd still love to have him....for the right price. But it just won't happen. Poile is going to overpay and sign him to huge career term contract. Matter of pride at this point.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
noooooooooooope
Too much. Not doing that.

I can't fathom Anaheim trading Ryan AND Getzlaf, much less in the same trade.

Some of these proposals are giving me a popsicle headache.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:

Pity a team that just beat us in the Conference Finals? I hope their team stays in the toilet and I'm thrilled everyone's favorite player Parise left them. Just like I'll never pity the Islanders.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

DeBoer's a good coach though. Doesn't need Robinson.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
Too much. Not doing that.

I can't fathom Anaheim trading Ryan AND Getzlaf, much less in the same trade.

Some of these proposals are giving me a popsicle headache.
i think the offer the "noooooo" was referring to was just for Nash...

Old
07-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The asking price for Weber would be huge. HUGE. Because Poile will want to keep him. More than ever now. So if it's a trade he will ask the moon and stars, and if your still fine with that....well then maybe it happens. Think McD and Kreider as a starting point.

That said, I'd still love to have him....for the right price. But it just won't happen. Poile is going to overpay and sign him to huge career term contract. Matter of pride at this point.
I think Brooks addressed the issue pretty well in a recent article. I don't think the asking price is Kreider and McD. Nor do I think it is a given that Weber signs, even if Poile offers a huge contract.

I think we've gotten ourselves into the mindset that the only players anyone would ever want from us are Kreider and McD.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:33 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
Yea I would definitely do Dubi, Anisimov and a 1st for Nash. No question about it.

Can Howson get a better package for him at this point? I'm not so sure.
The less one offers for Nash the greater the likelihood that more teams stay in the bidding.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

That's way too much.

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Del Zotto, 1st?

Columbus better be including Brassard or someone else.

And Erixon would HAVE to be 100% ready.

That's nuts. Way too much.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:35 PM
DutchShamrock

See, my thing with Weber is I'd hate to spend assets and buku cap and then watch our top 3 gas out in the conference finals. Regardless of how you upgrade any one of the top 3 defenders, we need to add a wing and we need to add another d man that can eat up minutes.

McD-Weber
MDZ-Girardi
Erixon-Stralman

Not bad, if Erixon makes a huge leap in one year, it could work... asking a lot. LD is easier to come by trade/ufa, just a matter money at that point. Then it comes down to adding a Doan/Semin. Moving MDZ for Nash is crippling at that point. Don't see how you fix that hole with the cap available.

I would rather round out the D than go over the top on one spot. They took a huge step forward with blueline scoring, very balanced. Use assets and cap $ on getting three scoring lines and a PK/face off stud.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
.... So our 21 year old second year second line center puts up 51 points and he's bailed on us? WTF are you smoking? ...
Yes. I was hugely disappointed in Stepan. We rate this guy like he's Jeff Skinner, but he's nowhere near that good. He has great intangibles for puck distribution, that's it so far. I hope for everyone's sake he improves, but IMO, that's the truth so far.

Quote:
You're trading the rights to JAM after Columbus just signed him to a 3 year ELC?
Okay, I missed that they literally JUST signed him. On that, I stand corrected. In my defense, that they signed him is indication they would have gone for him as asset in this deal.

Quote:
Trading our backup goalie who we just signed?
Our backup G is a nice luxury at 1.3m, so if we can get real value, if not a premium, in trade for him, we do it. Cam Talbot is good enough for backup, and breaking him in now is fine. Hank will play most games, including the tougher ones, so it shouldn't be a problem, and if it is, in an extreme case we can look at a veteran later. IMO, the risk of this happening is less than him developing well as a backup.

Quote:
Making 10 players trades...
How many not a big deal as long as there is is enough upgrade to justify any decrease in depth, assuming to extent of decrease.

Quote:
--trading away at least half if not two thirds of our prospect depth
? This exaggeration focuses on who is going out, not who is coming back. We are stacked up w/extra D, if we choose to move one/or two at some point, sure we can get extra depth for him/them.

Gernat and Marancin are blue chippers, and my proposal obtains at a discount in their ascending value. They will do well with their counterparts Ceresniak and Noreau. I would rather have two of Gernat and Marancin then four of some generic counterpart.

Quote:
Center depth--Richards--Anisimov-Miller (you sure he's ready?)-Haley? Looks a little shabby.
THIS is a fair and reasonable criticism.
However, it is a price I would pay again and again for the upgrades that come with it.
I believe McNeil is a W. If we are thin, we can redeploy the quality asset of a McNeil to get us a good C if necessary, though I don't expect it to be necessary.

With it apparent that Preds may have to consider moving Weber, there is an impulse to hold back Girardi in case a direct upgrade is available, although I am not confident that will be the case as the price to us for Weber should only be 1 yr rental, and that will not likely be the case (more likely Edmonton + Vancouver will directly have bid at higher rate [re-sign not just 1 yr rental]).

However, to address your C depth concerns, if we had enough extra Ds, we could theoretically do something like basically Girardi for Sharp w/Chicago.

PS -- you did not acknowledge that this radical multistep plan get us enough extra firepower to have hope of not losing to likes of Pens.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:

agreed, i've tried being civil with them but you can't even go over there and suggest something that would be of value to them without half their board swooping in yelling gtfo gtfo then cowbell whipping out the "ban hammer". I've learned my lesson to just not even go over there, it's amateur hour vs our board.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think Brooks addressed the issue pretty well in a recent article. I don't think the asking price is Kreider and McD. Nor do I think it is a given that Weber signs, even if Poile offers a huge contract.

I think we've gotten ourselves into the mindset that the only players anyone would ever want from us are Kreider and McD.
Since they lost Suter I think things have changed a bit in Nashville. I think they are feeling poached and pissed.

I think their level of commitment on keeping Weber just went up quite a bit.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
That's way too much.

Way too much. Right on.

Now we're talking 3 roster players?

I thought Howsen only wanted 2?

Is this the Bizarro world?

Old
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
where did robinson go?
Screw Robinson.
If they're in financial turmoil, can we get Adam Larsson? I'm not saying cheap, just reasonable?

Old
07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Screw Robinson.
If they're in financial turmoil, can we get Adam Larsson? I'm not saying cheap, just reasonable?
yeah financial turmoil they'd be willing to trade a 2nd year player on a CHEAP elc

Old
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Since they lost Suter I think things have changed a bit in Nashville. I think they are feeling poached and pissed.

I think their level of commitment on keeping Weber just went up quite a bit.
They weren't exactly showing Suter the door.

Old
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
Also, we'd be trading the rights to Columbus for a player they've already signed.

Great proposal, not at all unreasonable.
Thanks, I missed that signing.

Old
Pizza

Quote:
That's way too much.

Agreed. No way Rangers do this.

Old
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
The New Jersey Devils aren't only losing a top player, but they may also be losing another man behind the bench.

Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette reported Sunday that Larry Robinson, who helped Peter DeBoer guide the Devils to the Stanley Cup Final this year, will be named associate coach of the San Jose Sharks on Monday. Robinson would be the second assistant coach to leave New Jersey in a matter of weeks after Adam Oates was named coach of the Washington Capitals on June 26.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637448

for those wondering about robinson

Old
07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
That's way too much.

MDZ and the 1st are the only thing that hurts. I hope they have a defensive option lined up. I think it's pretty fair value.

Am I wrong or have some past leaked NYR trades been a bit higher than the actual trade? York, who was very valuable at the time, was in the Lindros and Bure rumors. My life hinged on York not getting traded at the time. Pretty sure the Jagr deal had a better player than Carter. Avery trade was rumored for more.

I'd love to keep Del Zotto, sub in a prospect. Can't imagine that 3 roster players would go, maybe Erixon/Bickel/Valentenko and a prayer.

Closed Thread