Notices

How is GMJN doing?

Old
07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Goligoski played the most of anyone on the team... the only situation he didn't lead in was shorthanded.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Also, I would argue that you can't even really grade Joe's performance up until Gaglardi took over. His hands were almost completely tied. This is our first offseason where Joe has been allowed to operate without any constraints, and I am very pleased with the results.
Basically this.

The last few years, "hard to play against" and "pesky Stars" were euphemisms for "hey, we've got big brother Bettman on our @$$ and we don't have any money to work with, so live with this."

That said, I overall can't complain with Nieuwendyk's trades in aggregate. You can't expect to win every single trade out there. The Lehtonen deal is almost enough to make up for being possibly hosed in other trades.

I think legitimate criticism can be made about his drafting, though. Still hoping the best for Campbell, but skipping out on a slipping Cam Fowler was tough to take at the time. He was responsible for the Glennie pick too, right? Being a young-ish GM back then, Nieuwendyk may have had his hands tied a bit and had to rely a bit too much on scouts and such. (Wasn't some head scout or something fired a while back?)

One plus on his side is Nieuwendyk's ability to disregard any personal relationships he may have had with players (BIG problem with Hull).

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
I think legitimate criticism can be made about his drafting, though. Still hoping the best for Campbell, but skipping out on a slipping Cam Fowler was tough to take at the time. He was responsible for the Glennie pick too, right? Being a young-ish GM back then, Nieuwendyk may have had his hands tied a bit and had to rely a bit too much on scouts and such. (Wasn't some head scout or something fired a while back?)
He left drafting up entirely to the scouts, as such Glennie and Campbell were the result of the fired Bernhardt. Notice how after he was fired the team has picked players this how board is happy with? Tells you all you need to know.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
He left drafting up entirely to the scouts, as such Glennie and Campbell were the result of the fired Bernhardt. Notice how after he was fired the team has picked players this how board is happy with? Tells you all you need to know.
This. Those two drafts were not his own choices, and they were both obviously bad (1st round, at least, we're finding some late round gems in both). Both of these past years, I think you could say we've had very successful drafts, at least so far (obviously too early to tell).

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Rune Forumwalker

You can't call a draft good or bad until 5 years after it takes place.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
LordHelmet

Joe had only been on the job for a couple of weeks when the Glennie pick was made. That one (however it turns out) is completely on the scouting staff.

Another thing to remember about the Glennie pick is that not many guys picked after him have really made an impact either. Kulikov (the pick I wanted) is the only exception, though Cowan and Kreider are starting to show up a little.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:33 PM
HockeyGambit

A GM should go with what their' scouts select. If they don't go with your scouts picks as a GM they might as well get rid of them if they're not going to go with the scouts' selections. The scouts are the ones seeing these kids throughout the year and longer. Joe might get to see a game or two but its the scouts who should have the most perspective on the draftees.

I also wouldn't judge how good a draft is based on how happy people on this board are with the selections. How many people have actually seen any of these players play and are just going off scouting reports? I've seen numerous old post on this site get bumped up showing people all happy about player X and how they were a steal. Years latter that player isn't even playing hockey anymore.

HockeyGambit is offline   Reply With Quote