HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Larry Robinson hired as SJ Sharks Associate Coach

Old
07-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

vCash: 500
Chalk this up as the first real loss of the Bergevin era. How do you not make time to talk with Larry Robinson for an assistant position?

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It is an issue and not a trivial one. I assume that Daigneault is qualified but if you polled the members of this board, you might find that a majority would have preferred Robinson. If Therrien is fired again at some point, which would you want?
Nobody. Robinson isn't a head coach. When Therrien will be fired, you will have choice between candidates elsewhere in the league, Jodoin or Gallant in an interim position of even Lefebvre if needed if he's still part of the organization.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:09 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Quite sad that the organization could not make room to an HHOF, a Habs legends, a real winner has a player, a coach and an assistant coach.
Who cares? Michel Therrien is the coach and you have to let him hire the guys he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It is an issue and not a trivial one. I assume that Daigneault is qualified but if you polled the members of this board, you might find that a majority would have preferred Robinson. If Therrien is fired again at some point, which would you want?
I wouldn't trust the members of this board to chose what I should eat for breakfast. There are far too many opinions with no logic or critical assessment behind them. Robinson wanted to be an associate or assistant coach? Too bad, who cares. Therrien wanted JJ and Therrien knows best who he wants to work with.

It's not like we're discussing roster players and their objective abilities, these guys are assistant coaches and we'll never know what they contribute and how much. Therrien spoke with Robinson but chose JJ, end of story.

Give it a rest and stop feeding Tony Marinaro's gigantic ego.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Habanero514

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Tony Marinaro you still have the audacity to post here? You have ZERO credibility, quit trying to make an issue out of an assistant coach hiring.
Dude, you are obsessed with him! For the 1,000,000 time i ain't him!

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Habanero514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Unworthy thread is unworthy.
Haters are gonna hate no matter what!

Old
07-08-2012, 05:21 PM
shutehinside

San Jose should improve much more on defense. Probably more than montreal will.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Habanero514

Quote:
Who cares? Michel Therrien is the coach and you have to let him hire the guys he wants.

I wouldn't trust the members of this board to chose what I should eat for breakfast. There are far too many opinions with no logic or critical assessment behind them. Robinson wanted to be an associate or assistant coach? Too bad, who cares. Therrien wanted JJ and Therrien knows best who he wants to work with.

It's not like we're discussing roster players and their objective abilities, these guys are assistant coaches and we'll never know what they contribute and how much. Therrien spoke with Robinson but chose JJ, end of story.

Give it a rest and stop feeding Tony Marinaro's gigantic ego.

You gotta be kidding me right ? Robinson contributed big time to Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Adam Larsson's success just to name a few and help the Devils on many occassions win a cup.

What has JJ Daigneault done as assistant coach ? Nadda, Nothing, rien. niet.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
You gotta be kidding me right ? Robinson contributed big time to Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Adam Larsson's success just to name a few and help the Devils on many occassions win a cup.

Yeah, and Jacques Laperrière contributed to the development of how many great again? Let's hire Laperrière. Oh and just don't put his work with Larsson as you are doing it for the others...please.

Also not that Viacheslav Fetisov was on the teams you are doing about here minus Larsson. I guess that as an assistant coach, maybe Fetisov had a think or 2 to say about them.

Daigneault has done a good job enough so to stick with a farm team for the last 6 years...he must have done something right. Not at the NHL level, which at that level, he only played so many years. So in my mind, if not Robinson, he's a very good candidate. And we've got him.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Habanero514

Habs hired a french media pleaser, plain and simple and if you cannot see that, you are clearly misguided.

If not Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe would've been my candidate!

Old
07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Meh,

Habs needed fresh blood. No biggie from where I stand. If we wanted him we would've got him.

And how is Big Bird not fresh blood compared to JJ ? Actually JJ was here last after Larry.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Tony Marinaro you still have the audacity to post here? You have ZERO credibility, quit trying to make an issue out of an assistant coach hiring.
And who the *** are you to tell him this exactly ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Habs hired a french media pleaser, plain and simple and if you cannot see that, you are clearly misguided.

Haters are gonna hate, no matter what. Damn, I just repeated what you said not long ago !

You don't know anything about their decisions, nor who's the most qualified between them. Stop whining Tony

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:38 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Dude, you are obsessed with him! For the 1,000,000 time i ain't him!
Quote:

I don't care if you're Tony or you're not but the facts remain: (1) Tony's an idiot with no credibility (2) Tony just today squirts out a tweet about Robinson (3) You make this thread immediately after + (4) Everytime you post it is related to a talking point of Tony Marinaro.

We're not simpletons here, you're transparent.

Regarding Larry Robinson: He's a legend, he's a winner, he's a fantastic person. Doesn't change the fact that there are tons of factors when coming to hire an assistant coach and for WHATEVER reason Therrien and Bergevin didn't want him so bad. Don't throw JJ under the bus because you want to create some discussion. No one should care about our assistant coach hiring when we just got a brand new head coach and system and a brand new front office and they haven't played a single game.

And Robinson was a HC a lot of the time. Therrien is our HC, end of story.

This is the kind of non-news ******** that ruins hockey discussions. He's an assistant coach, who gives a ****?

Old
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:

Total BS. Habs had ALREADY based themselves with TONS of french people....as if the media would have been against a Robinson hiring when most french medias were already targetting him as a potential candidate and there was not a lot of Daigneault talk at all. Just concentrate on the facts instead of your "theory".....

Old
Forsead

Quote:

Not really Robinson talk a pretty good french and I'm sure the french media would have loved the guys, especially since he is still a popular name and have alot of fans in QC.

Forsead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
So for the Habs hiring of JJ Daigneault, it came down to the last name of the person and that he was " Un ti gars de Chez Nous" and not their credentials. It's sad if you ask me...

What happened to hiring the best guy available?
He was the best guy on paper...but was he really the best coach available? There's no way to know. Daigneault don't have the resume of Robinson, but in the end, he could still be better than him. Again, there's no way to know.

I get the frustration though...Robinson would have been a nice and shiny nomination...doesn't mean anything though. And when you think about it, I'm not sure he would have fitted well with the other coached, who are all under 48 years old while Robinson is 61. The chemistry between the coaching staff could have been different...

Anyways, people need to stay rational...not always easy on this board...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
He was the best guy on paper...but was he really the best coach available? There's no way to know. Daigneault don't have the resume of Robinson, but in the end, he could still be better than him. Again, there's no way to know.

I get the frustration though...Robinson would have been a nice and shiny nomination...doesn't mean anything though. And when you think about it, I'm not sure he would have fitted well with the other coached, who are all under 48 years old while Robinson is 61. The chemistry between the coaching staff could have been different...

Anyways, people need to stay rational...not always easy on this board...
I think it's also the fact that not alot of peoples really loved the Therrien nomination so having a guy like Robinson that has been a successful head coach would have reassured alot of issues, since he can really give help and bring his ideas and his experience.

Forsead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
And who the *** are you to tell him this exactly ?
Ah yes, I can't criticize a media member because I don't have a radio show of my own where I shill Cavallaro's and spew nonsense for simpletons tuning in during rush hour.

Have you heard the questions he asks in press conferences? Have you heard him try to assess hockey on his show? He knows nothing, he contributes nothing, he is all kinds of wrong.

There are posters here who can discuss hockey much more eloquently than Tony Marinaro and they do it for free. That's why I come here and I don't put up with Stubbs and Marinaro blowing smoke up their own *****.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
habs_24x

Im happy for Larry. Would of loved him here but Bergevin dropped the ball. (unless he didnt want to sign here)

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I think it's also the fact that not alot of peoples really loved the Therrien nomination so having a guy like Robinson that has been a successful head coach would have reassured alot of issues, since he can really give help and bring his ideas and his experience.
Good point. But there's a limit to spew nonsense like that and we haven't played a single game yet. And then you add the fact that, for some, you hire francos solely for the medias and not for their quality and you have some of the reactions we see in here. Point is that most of those francos, aside from Brisebois, had coached elsewhere than here where nobody thought of them as being francos.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

So you don't think you can be wrong right? It's 100% guaranteed they took Daigneault because he's french?...so why did they get Gerard Gallant, an anglophone? Or Mellanby? Or Dudley? Why are they keeping Timmins?

Your theory, stated as it is, doesn't make sense. If you would have said it's your opinion, fine...put we are clearly misguided because we don't believe that? Come back to earth buddy because it's a stupid thing to believe.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
So you don't think you can be wrong right? It's 100% guaranteed they took Daigneault because he's french?...so why did they get Gerard Gallant, an anglophone? Or Mellanby? Or Dudley? Why are they keeping Timmins?

Your theory, stated as it is, doesn't make sense. If you would have said it's your opinion, fine...put we are clearly misguided because we don't believe that? Come back to earth buddy because it's a stupid thing to believe.
Holy, imagine they got rid of Timmins for a french guy.(Not saying this is their agenda, just saying imagine it was). I'd think the team was a joke.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Larry Robinson as Associate coach for the the SJ Sharks
Good for him.

Quote:
and Habs got JJ Daigneault! :'(
Isn't that good news ?

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habanero514

Quote:
Ah yes, I can't criticize a media member because I don't have a radio show of my own where I shill Cavallaro's and spew nonsense for simpletons tuning in during rush hour.

Have you heard the questions he asks in press conferences? Have you heard him try to assess hockey on his show? He knows nothing, he contributes nothing, he is all kinds of wrong.

There are posters here who can discuss hockey much more eloquently than Tony Marinaro and they do it for free. That's why I come here and I don't put up with Stubbs and Marinaro blowing smoke up their own *****.
Well, you always come on here on the forum and name call. That's very mature!

Old
07-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Habanero514

Quote:

Gallant has a francophone last name!

What about Brisebois, Lapointe and Lefebvre. Oh there was Serge Savard as Consultant to Mr. Molson