HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Breaking news: insurance companies will no longer cover the Blue Jays...

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Breaking news: insurance companies will no longer cover the Blue Jays...

So. Who wants avatars?

Rotation
Coming SoonComing Soon
Ricky RomeroAaron LaffeyHenderson AlvarezCarlos VillanuevaBrett Cecil

Bullpen

Coming SoonComing Soon
Luis PerezAndrew CarpenterJesse ChavezJason Frasor
Coming Soon
Sam DysonDarren OliverFrancisco Cordero
Fielders
Brett LawrieColby RasmusJose BautistaEdwin EncarnacionAdam Lind
Kelly JohnsonYunel EscobarRajai DavisJ.P. Arencibia

Bench

Jeff MathisOmar VizquelBen Francisco

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 07-08-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old
04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

24 image per post limit means that there's a bit of overflow from post #1

Roster overflow

Non-Players
Alex AnthopoulosJohn FarrellAce

DL

Brandon MorrowKyle DrabekDrew HutchisonSergio SantosDustin McGowan

Minors
Joel CarrenoEvan CrawfordTravis SniderDavid CooperYan Gomes

"Fun" variants

Laura FrasorAlex Anthopoulos2The Rally CrabRally Crab v2Man in White
July Wallpapers

1920x1080
JP ArencibiaColby Rasmus
1680x1050
JP ArencibiaColby Rasmus
1600x900
JP ArencibiaColby Rasmus

Last edited by The Nemesis: 07-08-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 05:31 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

the "No TV dives for Anthony Gose" edition

carry on with futures game discussion and everything else that's relevant.

I'll be putting in all the front end stuff shortly.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Hyperglide

Janssen for MVP. He's my new avatar.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

rasmus is my mvp, so glad he has turned it around and showing the potential he was showing in st. louis

07-08-2012, 05:44 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Janssen for MVP. He's my new avatar.
A little late to the show. I've had him as mine for about a week or so. LOL

Old
07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
MarcWagz

so after all the movement and such there isn't much difference between the teams position at the AS break compared to last year.
except half the pitchers are out with injuries.
i don't hold out much hope for these blue jays, I think they are leading people on with smoke and mirrors.
Bautista is still the best around though.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
weems

Gose's catch today from the futurestars game

Old
07-08-2012, 05:56 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
so after all the movement and such there isn't much difference between the teams position at the AS break compared to last year.

i don't hold out much hope for these blue jays, I think they are leading people on with smoke and mirrors.
That is a big difference. This year's team roughly equalled last year's team at the halfway point even though their pitching staff has been decimated and they've gotten sub-par performances from Romero and Alvarez. Encarnacion is having a big season and looks comfortable at 1st, Rasmus is the guy who we expected to get from the trade, Lawrie is coming around after a slower than expected start (perhaps those expectations were unfair). If we still had Morrow and Hutchison healthy and Santos healthy and not all the ridiculous # of issues they've gone through this season, the team would almost certainly be better than they are to this point.

In other news, I've re-sorted the avatars on page 1 to be more current in terms of who's up/down/hurt and roles. Hopefully I'll have avys for Laffey, Cecil, Chavez, etc. soon.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Thanks Nemesis! I cant put off the Rasmus love anymore!

Old
07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
captn

Quote:
What are smoke and mirrors hiding? The fact that at the start of the season AA said the Jays aren't pushing for a playoff spot yet?

Old
07-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Est1995

I'm going to use Hutch!

Old
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Is Gose out of the game?

Old
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Shimso

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
That is a big difference. This year's team roughly equalled last year's team at the halfway point even though their pitching staff has been decimated and they've gotten sub-par performances from Romero and Alvarez. Encarnacion is having a big season and looks comfortable at 1st, Rasmus is the guy who we expected to get from the trade, Lawrie is coming around after a slower than expected start (perhaps those expectations were unfair). If we still had Morrow and Hutchison healthy and Santos healthy and not all the ridiculous # of issues they've gone through this season, the team would almost certainly be better than they are to this point.

In other news, I've re-sorted the avatars on page 1 to be more current in terms of who's up/down/hurt and roles. Hopefully I'll have avys for Laffey, Cecil, Chavez, etc. soon.

and, not like its going to be easy, the jays are just 2.5 games back of a playoff spot

Old
07-08-2012, 06:45 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
You really need to follow a season closely to realize just how good things actually have been. Many fans understood this as more of a growing season with a chance at the post season more than we are ready to compete now. Before the season really even got going we lost Litsch/McGowan and Santos. That's our closer one of two long arms and our 5th starter. That's a big loss. Our offence started the season very slowly and our pitching started very strong. When our bats picked up our arms slowed down and started to struggle. We then lost 3 more starting pitchers. We had 3 pitchers throwing it what could have been their first full season in the majors. That's insane and they still did well. I can illustrate some of the positives from the season so far for you.

Rasmus has found his game again and has been lights out good for us.

Lawrie has taken on the role of leadoff hitter and has been hitting great there. His defence is also proving much better than we could have hoped for.

EE is having a break out season and took the role of 1B from Lind and has looked very good there when he needed to be.

Lind struggled badly to start the season and was demoted to AAA. Since his return he is hitting like his silver slugger year. That's a very very good thing.

Jose started to season horrible hitting under .200 for a good long while with no power. He's now on pace for another huge hr season and broke a jays record for hr's in a month in June

Morrow after a rough year last year has looked like our ace this year and has pitched unbelievably.

Hutchinson/Alvarez Both have shown they are major league pitchers and very good ones at that. Drabek started like the pitcher we all hoped he would be but tailed off badly before his injury

Jansen took a closer role that no one could hold down after the loss of Santos and has been insane great and hasn't blown a save yet in I believe 13 tries now. That's great.

Gomes and Cooper both came up and proved they can be big leaguers. Gomes IMO will be playing off the bench next year.

Oliver has been lights out as well out of the pen and a great signing.

CV/Laffey have been saviours to our bullpen pitching well on an emergency basis in a starters role for the jays.

Frasor started the season poorly but has come back to what were use to seeing from him

Now it's not all great and sunny.

Romero is having a horrible season and looks very from the ace of any team.

Yunel is having a tough year at the bat

JP still strikeouts out a ton and hasn't really progressed offensively or defensively IMO

Thames lost his ability to hit and is back in AAA and Snider was hurt when it happened and lost the chance to be called up like most believed he would have been. (Davis has been pretty good in their absence however)

Drabek as previously stated started walking a ton of batters again and was likely on his way to a demotion.

Cordero who should have been solid depth as protection against injury to Santos has been a miserable failure.

We are a team in transition that will go through growing pains. It isn't a finished project but one that looks to have a nice future ahead of it. Our pitching depth is years away but we have some good guys pretty close to ready positionally that should help the team themselves or to get us more pieces to fill out the puzzle. It's a waiting game now.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I cant wait for the next month, we will likely see Hechevarria and Gose in the final couple of months and give them some badly needed experience so we can rely on one/both of them to start the year with the big club. Also we need them to get 150AB to take away their rookie eligibility.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:10 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post

Gose's catch today from the futurestars game
Best part of the catch was the presence of mind of attempting to throw out the runner at 1st. It was a pretty good throw, and even though I don't think it ever had a chance of doubling up, it at least shows that Gose has a good baseball IQ and knew what the situation was. The arm looks decent, speed looks decent, bat looks decent....but the IQ looks great.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:13 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Best part of the catch was the presence of mind of attempting to throw out the runner at 1st. It was a pretty good throw, and even though I don't think it ever had a chance of doubling up, it at least shows that Gose has a good baseball IQ and knew what the situation was. The arm looks decent, speed looks decent, bat looks decent....but the IQ looks great.
He has a plus arm

Old
07-08-2012, 07:17 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I cant wait for the next month, we will likely see Hechevarria and Gose in the final couple of months and give them some badly needed experience so we can rely on one/both of them to start the year with the big club. Also we need them to get 150AB to take away their rookie eligibility.
I'd love to see both in the bigs, but the trouble of how we manage their field playing time remains. Rasmus has never played anywhere except CF for the Jays, and same is true for Escobar at SS. Neither Gose or Hech can instantly move an established MLB player (and borderline star when it comes to Rasmus) to a new position.

To me, if you are planning on starting Gose and Hech next year, you need to slowly transition Rasmus to LF/RF and Escobar to 2B. I don't really want either of them to get complacent in an easier position since both of them have Plus Defense as one of their main skill.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
thatshype

Quote:
He has a plus arm
I've seen one throw from him on a big stage. If scouts say Plus arm than that's great, but I was only assessing what I saw.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:21 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
I'd love to see both in the bigs, but the trouble of how we manage their field playing time remains. Rasmus has never played anywhere except CF for the Jays, and same is true for Escobar at SS. Neither Gose or Hech can instantly move an established MLB player (and borderline star when it comes to Rasmus) to a new position.

To me, if you are planning on starting Gose and Hech next year, you need to slowly transition Rasmus to LF/RF and Escobar to 2B. I don't really want either of them to get complacent in an easier position since both of them have Plus Defense as one of their main skill.
Theres a real chance Escobar is traded at the deadline.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Theres a real chance Escobar is traded at the deadline.
and that Gose makes his big league debut in LF. So we might have both situations cleared up.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
He has a plus arm
And speed.

Btw on the arm discussion, thought he pitched in highschool as well? The kid throws like low 90s heat.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:31 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
and that Gose makes his big league debut in LF. So we might have both situations cleared up.
I really think (hope) that Bautista transitions to like 1B (or 3B...probably 1B though) or something next season. Put Gose (and his arm) in RF.

If Snider can hit in the bigs, he's @ LF, Rasmus CF, Gose in RF. EE plays DH, Bats at 1B (or you move EE if need be).

If Gose replaces Bautista you go from a negative dWAR to what could potentially be way plus, while you keep all of your quality offence in the lineup (Lind would be the one to go).

Do the Jays have anyone in the system who can sub in for Johnson when he is inevitably moved/walks this offseason? If Yunel gets dealt, then Hech will be playing SS guaranteed...

Old
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
And speed.

Btw on the arm discussion, thought he pitched in highschool as well? The kid throws like low 90s heat.
and defensive acumen (as opposed to someone like Rajai who has blazing speed but takes awful routes)

and low 90s? I thought I heard he could throw 97 as a pitcher.

edit: yup.

Quote:
Anthony Gose is a lefty swinging (and throwing) athletic centre field prospect who was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2nd round of the 2008 MLB draft. He was taken as a young, raw high school kid who was also a promising pitching prospect at the time, armed with a 97-mph heater. Gose had a desire to play every day and had lingering shoulder problems so he was drafted with the expectation of becoming a position player.
http://aleastbound.com/2012/03/15/ja...-anthony-gose/

Closed Thread